• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
If they can push out lockhart for 200$ or 250$ while PS5 is >= 400$ sony has a problem.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
I think spec wise the boxes are going to be the same. I think the current Xbox S and it's disc less counterpart are what MS pumps out this go around.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
I suspect Lockhart is existing for work with xcloud hardware. Upgrade the hardware on all of their server farms in short time wont be cheap and simple.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interested to see how this shakes out. Hope it's not lacking too much in CPU or RAM because that could hamper both Anaconda and PS5. If it's only a GPU difference I could see it making sense.
Yep, only GPU would be smart. I also doubt it will have PS4 pro power, I can see it having the same "number" in terms of tf.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... Sounds good in-practice to allow more people to jump onto the next gen, but I have a bad feeling this'll turn into a Steam Box situation in which buyers were overwhelmed and confused by different sku's of the same platform. If the release it at launch, anyways.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This is a terrible for consumers, as next gen games will be held back by whatever lowest common denominator is offered from the outset.

lol this elitist attitude is so hilarious on Era. People just want their cake, fuck the poor. There is a huge amount of people who can't afford a premium console, it's terrible for them if there isn't a cheaper option.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm laughing at everyone wishing third parties would ignore it. Not going to happen

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Lockhart will sell more than scarlett if it's cheapand offer next gen experiences.

Same cpu ,no disc drive, smaller SSD cheaper GPU it will kill.

While that was an assumption previously in speculation re. Lockhart, it doesn't sound like that's a given per Kotaku's article. They say the CPU will be faster than current gen consoles, but even saying that suggests it won't necessarily be the same as what's in Anaconda.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Sandwich strategy. I'm not sure if it's a great idea.

Developers will target the most popular platform as evidenced by the PS4. Xbox One is weaker but games are optimized for base PS4 (or even PS4 Pro apparently with how poorly recent games have run on the base consoles...) and then downported to Xbox One.
Downporting. Lol, here we go again.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I
so
  • lockhart is back, gpu performance roughly of a ps4 pro, has an SSD, faster CPU than any current gen console (not really hard)
  • anaconda targeting 4k 60, lockhart targeting 1440p 60
  • PS5 and Anaconda are around the same performance level and there is no clear winner between them
i really hoped lockhart didnt exist.
seems like MS solution to lockhart not gimping next gen is to make developers target such high resolutions and framerates that basically games wont look all that different from current gen....
Many people are convinced that the SSD will be a true game changer. I don't see how Lockhart might be locked out of it.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I wonder how much weaker it'll be? I might get this instead of Anaconda, and have PS5 as my power machine.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh...I don't like it, and this will impact next gen development if it's done from the start.

They should do a mid gen refresh like the PS Pro or XB1X, but I guess MS needs to be proactive to get marketshare from the the start.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'm pretty much all digital as it is with the X1X.
Same. I own 500 games on my Xbox. I had a lot of physical titles but I ended up selling them. I just did the same with my Switch while I added a 128 GB SD Card to it (which seems to be not enough)
Yeah, this is where I am. Why not both is my question.
I hope they reconsider it. It's not even because it would be cheaper, it's because I know I won't use that reading unit ever.

That's called just buying the normal one and not putting discs in it. I don't understand this desire for the lack of options
They could put a version without a reading unit while adding more storage space to it or maybe a GPU subscription.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Guessing it's weaker so it can be a smaller box and not just $50 cheaper. If it was just $50 cheaper it might not move the needle, for $100 or $150 cheaper and it could make a difference for people who don't want to spend whatever the next consoles cost.

Oct 27, 2017
lol this elitist attitude is so hilarious on Era. People just want their cake, fuck the poor. There is a huge amount of people who can't afford a premium console, it's terrible for them if there isn't a cheaper option.
This is ridiculous. There won't even be that big of a price difference between the 2 (likely $100.00). That and the price of consoles comes down as time goes on. There will be a much larger spec disparity that is not proportional with the price difference, which most definitely will be bad for consumers.

Get out of here with this reaching shit.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much weaker it'll be? If it's around the Xbox One X, I might get this instead of Anaconda, and have PS5 as my power machine.

In the article Jason compares it to a PS4 Pro. It's probably just straight up weaker than the X? Although it has some stuff that is obviously an upgrade (SSD etc)

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
This Nintendo strategy (staying weaker to be cheaper to sell more) isn't going to work if the whole point of people wanting a new Xbox is for high quality visuals. MS should just take the PS5 head on without trying to cause confusion that just makes it more difficult for third parties to develop for.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017

If Sony or MS had paid me a few million I'd happily have told them they didn't have to worry about stadia
You realize that current gen consoles will become cheaper right? New consoles always start pricier and drop over time.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of "devs will just downgrade effects a bit, NBD" and "OMG this completely ruins the scope of next gen games, devs cannot work around this" extreme comments. I wonder if any developers will go on record on how such a hardware setup would impact the way they make games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is raytracing gonna work on this system? It's already gonna cut resolution and frame rate on Anaconda

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Lockhart will sell more than scarlett if it's cheapand offer next gen experiences.

Same cpu ,no disc drive, smaller SSD cheaper GPU it will kill.

Hardcore consoles 500
Lockhart 350
Xbox one Say hi....

if it's weaker no one will buy it Day 1 or first year they will go to PS5 and Scarlett

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
"When speaking to Kotaku, one game developer briefed on Lockhart analogized it to the PlayStation 4 Pro "
This doesn't make sense. A next gen console with graphical power inferior to a console of the last generation?
Why would microsoft launch a next gen console with graphical power inferior to X? In worst case scenario, they would upgrade the X with a better CPU.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its disappointing to think that some next gen third party games will be held back by having to develop for lock hart. But on the plus side it might mean that they can continue scaling down for switch too, and maybe they can run at frame rates at 60 and above on the ps5 and scarlet with the extra gpu and cpu overhead.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
People want disc-less because they're usually cheaper but want the disc-less version to have the same power as Scarlett
I guess so but the One S All Digital isn't really much cheaper than the normal One S so I think making it less powerful is the only way to make it meaningfully cheaper

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really boils down to this

Lockhart is still essentially a previous Gen console by the looks of this article and from what's being said.

i can understand WHY they are doing this but the fact that it's weaker then Scarlett is the most mind boggling part it's really just not a next gen experience then.

like this isn't the Xbox 360 which had multiple models but neither sacrificed performance. No need to go and try and reinvent the wheel.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
With Game Pass in the picture I think this is smart. Games are gonna be cross gen for a long while, and selling a new console with a low entry point w/Game Pass just opens the door for even more new players.