• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Kristin Carnage was making her way through a city in World of Warcraft when a stranger stopped her female avatar. The stranger, a male avatar, opened a trade window with Carnage and moved, in her words, "a ton of gold" in his section of the trade box. For a while afterward, he offered to help run her through content and sent her toys through World of Warcraft's in-game mail service.
To prove the existence of a virtual sugar daddy economy, players still point to a moment in MMO history that took place on Craigslist. In 2007, a 31-year old woman offered sex in exchange for gold in World of Warcraft. "I need 5,000 world of gold for my epic flying mount," she wrote. "In return, you can mount me." After the WoW community circulated her post, the Craigslister returned to write that she received her epic mount in an hour "while all of you idiots probably spent hundreds of hours farming for yours." The ad and its societal implications have haunted female MMO players for nine years.
While about 40% of MMO-players are women, men are much more likelyto gender-bend with their avatars. That creates the impression in many MMOs that more women play than actually do. Some men interviewed took advantage of this, using female avatars in hopes of receiving favors from horny male strangers.

More on the article.

I'm not someone that plays a lot of MMO, but when I did I had no idea "Sugar Daddies" were even a thing. Still, the whole thing is fascinating, and creepy.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Back when I played WoW (like... Burning Crusade and before) I had a couple male and a couple female characters... the female characters I played as got so much free stuff it was ridiculous

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Never saw a difference playing either female or male characters. Never even had someone stop me and give me free stuff or ask if I was female IRL. I don't know if it was so much different on american servers than european(german) servers but from the start of online communities you always assumed it was a dude with a female avatar, unless proven otherwise (voicechat)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
ill send someone 150 era-bucks to talk to me about johnny bravo for a half-hour

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
When I played wow I switched to a female character and just said I was too shy to talk on vent during raids.

People were sooooo much nicer to me once I switched.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Chia, a 27-year-old Final Fantasy XIV player, has been offered favors and money by male avatars in exchange for "performing certain emotes for them." In FFXIV, female avatars have a few actions that, in certain contexts, can come off pretty sexy. One is "/blowkiss," in which the avatar bends over at the waist. Recently, developer Square Enix added some "doze" emotes for, uh, tired avatars who want to lie down.

"The emote he wants most of all is the /pose emote," Chelsea told me over the phone. "Female Elezens, at the end of the emote, bend over a blow a kiss. He wants me to bend over in front of his avatar and make it seem like we're having sex."

lol ffxiv

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the vanilla WoW days I got a creepy whisper from some dude while playing a lady orc. I'm a man.

Has never happened since, and I play women in MMOs more often than not. But that one time left an impression.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
My main in Legion was a female Orc and not once was I treated different.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
TIL "Sugar Universe", complete with social network and all.

I...I think I need to lie down.

Meanwhile my bank account number is...

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yea I def remember a bunch of weirdos when I used to play FF11. Most of the time I was on my main Galka thief/ranger but when I switched to my mithra...

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost always played female characters just to get fre stuff in MMOs.

Heck my first female character, a Dark Elf in EQ (back in 99) got free armor because she looked "exotic" from some male human she ran by.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yes, played stuff like Second Life, WoW, and whatnot and always got free shit from random males along with friend requests. Had a close online friend ..in 2011 who I really did like doing this to me on Mabinogi, mostly cause I did like him a lot. I told the friend not to do it after while, but they continued. Me and that friend aren't really as close of friends anymore due to unrelated reasons behind this.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Ive heard many stories about this in my time of playing FFXIV, players of both genders are horny as hell in that game.

Remember stories like this as well from my Ragnarok Online friends.

DeadPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
I play female characters a lot of the time and this shit never happens to me... what am I doing wrong guys?

Dec 14, 2017
ill send someone 150 era-bucks to talk to me about johnny bravo for a half-hour
Underrated post.

I remember hearing a lot of stories of behavior/treatment to female MMO players in the past, never knew it started from the craigslist story though. With that said, I even have seen stuff like this in other games like Destiny, any game with a more persistent/shared space that puts emphasis on cosmetics and item rarity seems to create such situations.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds of the first episode of SAO (the only episode that I watched) where a man and a woman started dating in the game, but when the real life persons started replacing the avatar the guy discovers that the woman was actually a man

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why? She can't touch your peepee over TCP/IP.

People can get turned on while roleplaying.

And also, those guys always have the hope that by giving them money the women will probably "know them better" and will fall in love with him thanks to how special they are

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Can they turn this online sugar daddy for real wotld profit? If so...

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Why did they have to publish this. This was a goldmine for me and my female avatars, now all those horny gamers are gonna be suspicious....

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I get the point of this article. Like, yes, some people do and some people do not like this. applies to anything ever.

Some people use sex (or flirting or whatever) as a tool to get things from people, it's not any different irl, drinks at bars etc.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I asked for free 10k gold on trade chat on my male gnome and a female night elf gave it to me

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Back in Ragnarok Online, I was one of the most wealthiest player in the game in the International Servers. I'm talking Golden Thief Bug Card, Ghost ring card, nearly hundred of million of zeny etc. For those who had played the game will know I was fairly powerful (and lucky)

I was around 14-15 at the time.

Girls would offer their body on cam to hope to become friends and I would share some of my wealth

This was a very common thing in MMO's before I would say 2009.

CrazyHal

Nov 1, 2017
Back in Ragnarok Online, I was one of the most wealthiest player in the game in the International Servers. I'm talking Golden Thief Bug Card, Ghost ring card, nearly hundred of million of zeny etc. For those who had played the game will know I was fairly powerful (and lucky)

I was around 14-15 at the time.

Girls would offer their body on cam to hope to become friends and I would share some of my wealth

This was a very common thing in MMO's before I would say 2009.

Selling your body for a games virtual currency.

Yeah that seems reasonable.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some players can be very creepy in MMORPGs. I've seen (and reported) a fair share of them in FFXIV; usually they try hitting on my character in some way. : \

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never saw a difference playing either female or male characters. Never even had someone stop me and give me free stuff or ask if I was female IRL. I don't know if it was so much different on american servers than european(german) servers but from the start of online communities you always assumed it was a dude with a female avatar, unless proven otherwise (voicechat)
You should have invested more time in the character creator.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Lol, do people actually still do that in MMO nowadays? Hitting female avatars by giving them gold and stuff.

Most female friends I know aren't too comfortable when they encountered such male players.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hang out in Limsa Lominsa long enough and you're nearly guaranteed to have a creep try to come on to you. I've had it happen in dungeons, too.
There's a reason I afk at my apartment, lol.

Limsa is FFXIV's hive of scum and villainy.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
When I restarted Guild Wars II (It was only a dabbling) as a female character, people were acting really weird around me. Didn't get gold though.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
You should have invested more time in the character creator.

what, was my "generic bodytype 1 out of 4" in WoW not pixelbeauty enough? ;)
And even in FF14, playing the female Miqo'te, never had someone just "flirting" with me, asking me if I was a female IRL or just giving me stuff because I had a female avatar. Maybe it was the green hair :/

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
In destiny one I had a female charecter and I decided to try to act flirtatious with me emotes to see if I could get someone to hit on me. There was a group of characters sitting in a circle on the ground. I walked up and started dancing in the middle of the circle. Less than a minute later I got a message asking if I was really a girl and where I lived. Now I was obviously trying to get attention from people but I was surprised at how little effort I had to put into it to get a reaction.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Wait, somebody fucked another person for 5,000 gold? Isn't that like $3 back then. Maybe, I'm misremembering.