Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Wooden actor can't deliver lines in a convicing way, more news at 11.
Thats like putting Keanu Reeves in a game and being surprised that the delivery is stiff. Yeah, no shit.

In her defense, her script isnt great.
She's still miles better than Rhonda but thats a low bar, specially for an actor.

So many VAs looking for work, but nope, gotta overpay someone else to do a worse job just to get the headline.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you could give enough voice direction to a random person, let alone someone who has acted in movies, to get a performance above monotone.

I just imagine that the recording team is too intimidated - or maybe even just courteous - to ask for multiple takes.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the godawful voice acting in that one NBA 2K game lol. Sounds like she's reading the script for the first time while performing these.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I just watched Jennifer's Body not that long ago, so I was kind of looking forward to Fox as Nitara. Shame it turned out the way it did, because she's not a bad actress.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
It's so so soooooo bad. Like, indefensibly bad. It's somehow even worse than Rousey's Sonya in the previous game, which is no small feat.

Every other voice has (so far) been amazing in the story mode.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah she's bad. I was defending the choice to include her before release but nope, she's just terrible.

Ironically JCVD did a great job with Johnny's lines, he sounds much better.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I really like Megan Fox and wanted to like this performance, but I really dont. It's not even that she's bad, it just does not mesh with the other VAs in the game. Everyone else is going all in, to a cartoonish degree, and her more subdued, natural dialogue take just doesn't fit.

She's a good actor so I'm inclined to say it's a combination of direction (or lack of it), time, and recording in a relative vacuum.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I like Ed Boon, but if he'd gotten his way it would have been fucking catastrophic:

image.png

MK1 has a ton of amazing professional voice actors giving outstanding performances, and he almost threw that all away just for random half-hearted celebrity bullshit. I feel like if I was the casting/performance director at NRS, assembling+directing a 10/10 cast, and I get pulled into a meeting saying "what if...we paid way more for people who are going to be way worse", I'd rip out my hair.
The whole game with celebrities? Nah.

Keanu Reeves as Kenshi?

3s0y6jul1rc21.jpg

Fuck yeah. At least the likeness would make for an amazing skin. No need to replace Vic Chao.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Keanu Reeves as Kenshi?

3s0y6jul1rc21.jpg

Fuck yeah. At least the likeness would make for an amazing skin. No need to replace Vic Chao.

Kenshi has always been a 100% Japanese-ass Japanese dude so I've never understood the "get Keanu" thing (which apparently even Boon supports now.)

I understand he may have been an inspiration for the overall vibe of the character but, nah.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who could have seen this coming
The announcement thread had plenty of people saying she sounded fine and I was like, "man, am I hearing this audio wrong or what"

www.resetera.com

Mortal Kombat 1 Nitara Reveal Trailer (Voiced by Megan Fox) News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah8VyRhiWiE After almost 17 years, the Vampire of Outworld has graced us with her presence. Megan Fox brings Nitara back to life. So that old Megan Fox rumor was true after all.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For people who are like "sounds fine to me"

Poke around this video, see what the other voice performances in the game are like. She sticks out HARD.

View: https://youtu.be/pCnaCuevRDk?t=416

I have no idea what the recording situation was like, but it's not hard to imagine that Fox had less time in the booth (due to availability or money etc), or that they weren't able to direct her to the same degree as others, or that she had to be recorded elsewhere etc and maybe a different person handled those recording sessions. Or maybe she just wasn't up for it! I dunno, a lot of things could have gone wrong, so I'm not going to put the blame squarely on Fox, but the end result sadly speaks for itself.

On the upside, as far as I know, at least she's not a TERF like Rousey.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA

Keanu Reeves as Kenshi?

3s0y6jul1rc21.jpg

Is Vic Chao the voice actor? I'm pretty sure the face model for Kenshi in MK1 is Noah Fleder from Gamology.

In regards to the Nitara comments, I feel like they could have gotten an A-lister and they still would have phoned in the lines. At least with the Rousey thing, we knew she couldn't act. Megan's been in a bunch of movies, for better or worse.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Kenshi has always been a 100% Japanese-ass Japanese dude so I've never understood the "get Keanu" thing (which apparently even Boon supports now.)

I understand he may have been an inspiration for the overall vibe of the character but, nah.
He doesn't need to play him in the story but a skin like JCVD would be awesome.

Is Vic Chao the voice actor? I'm pretty sure the face model for Kenshi in MK1 is Noah Fleder from Gamology.
Vic voices him, Noah is the face model (and mocap performer, I believe).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Was the sound mix intentionally altered to boost the dialogue? I feel like it'd be 'fine' with the music and other ambient sounds being balanced better with her lines. On their own, sure, they could be better... but I've certainly heard worse from more popular actors.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
She sounded ...ok-ish in the trailer but goddamn it's distractingly bad here.

They sabotaged Nitara, it's a level of bad where I don't even want to play the character.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone with ears knows how bad she is compared to the other VAs in the game. Her voice really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Mortal Kombat and bad voice acting are like peanut butter and jelly. Salute to the team for staying true to the series' roots.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I hate these articles based on social media posts. Absolutely terrible journalism. Why do I care about what some randos are hating online? People hate on everything, this is completely meaningless.
Theres no journalism in videogames media except for a few articles and, after all, this is Kotaku

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
She literally phoned it it. Completely flat and out of place compared to everyone else. Sonya/Ronda quality all over again.

May 14, 2021
She definitely could have given a better performance with more time and better direction. But screen acting experience often =/= translate to voice acting abilities.
Unless someone told me that was Megan Fox, I would have just assumed it was a really bad VA. I doubt I'm alone, which is why they probably should have saved money and improved the quality by hiring a real VA. But they succeeded in getting people to talk about it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Unless someone told me that was Megan Fox, I would have just assumed it was a really bad VA. I doubt I'm alone, which is why they probably should have saved money and improved the quality by hiring a real VA. But they succeeded in getting people to talk about it.
Bad press is good press I guess. Personally, I would rather people be excited about the character like they are with most of the other returning characters. I can't imagine why NRS wouldn't want the same.

bluemarvel33

Mar 5, 2022
I honestly thought Rhonda was decent enough as Sonya (not great, but serviceable) but Megan's voice acting is just terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Boon really seems to love the idea of celebrity casting for some reason - it makes sense for guest characters but there's no reason they couldn't have just gotten Christina Vee to do all of Nitara's lines.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Boon really seems to love the idea of celebrity casting for some reason - it makes sense for guest characters but there's no reason they couldn't have just gotten Christina Vee to do all of Nitara's lines.
Just have them all be skins like JCVD so that they don't stick out in the story like a sore thumb. Or just have them be the likeness. Nobody would give a shit if Nitara was just using Megan's likeness and had a real VA for the performance.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's baffling. Boon seems like an alright guy, and the runs of games from MK9 - MK1 (including Injustice1/2) is a great track record of products. But yeah, you have some of the best voice talent in the world and yet it's still not enough?

Just have them all be skins like JCVD so that they don't stick out in the story like a sore thumb. Or just have them be the likeness. Nobody would give a shit if Nitara was just using Megan's likeness and had a real VA for the performance.
Agree with this. All celebrities that aren't playing a character they already play (Simmons/omni man, Starr/Homelander etc) should be alternates, like the JCVD situation.

The proof that nobody would care? JCVD isn't much better than fox, but he's not the main Cage so it's whatever:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHuNSrvp6Cw

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
I'm seeing a lot of voice director blaming.

At what point is it the voice performer or the voice directors fault for bad voice acting? Because I'm leaning more towards the voice actress here since no professional VA would do a take that bad (or maybe these were the best takes they had)

Oct 27, 2017

Right like I thought the Dmitri Vegas skin for Sub-Zero was absurd but also it was just a skin that I rarely saw be used, meanwhile we get stuck with Ronda Sonya and Megan Niatara :(

Yeah, it's baffling. Boon seems like an alright guy, and the runs of games from MK9 - MK1 (including Injustice1/2) is a great track record of products. But yeah, you have some of the best voice talent in the world and yet it's still not enough?

I think I saw a recent interview in Rolling Stone where he floated the idea of having an entire cast of celebrities *barf*

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of voice director blaming.

At what point is it the voice performer or the voice directors fault for bad voice acting? Because I'm leaning more towards the voice actress here since no professional VA would do a take that bad (or maybe these were the best takes they had)
I haven't played MK1 to judge

But imo if the voice directions were at fault then more than just her performance would have issues

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
We have a billion reasons to hate the piece o shit of a person that Ronda is, including her terrible voice acting for Sonya. But Megan Fox performance is worse, way way way worse.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
She's a fine actress and the fact they got someone else to do all the grunts screams budget and time constraints. She probably wasn't given many takes.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think a celebrity alternate skin for every fighter would be super cool.

But yeah, please give VAs more work, Megan isn't hurting.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Both of those examples in the OP sound fine?

It's not very good but I do think there's an added level of hyperbole regarding the quality of her lines that comes from anger at hiring a famous actress instead of a voice actress.

Considering they brought in a different voice actress to do all the yells and screams, I suspect they probably had some very limited recording sessions with Fox.

Then they shouldn't have done it. It's completely asinine that they would hire a different actress just for the yells and screams. It doesn't even make sense and it makes the stunt casting very clear.

If you're going to hire someone like Megan Fox, either go all the way or don't do it at all. Give her proper direction, make sure she's doing all of the voice work for the character, get her in the booth like everyone else, etc.