• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Has Added Loot Boxes To Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp just got loot boxes in its latest update. Thanks, I hate it!

The mobile Animal Crossing game is no stranger to dodgy, predatory mobile game mechanics. This latest updates introduces the scummiest of all: loot boxes, in the form of the new Fortune Cookies. These items, available to buy at the market for either Bells or the paid currency of Leaf Tickets, will give you a random, rare items when you eat them that are only available in these cookies.

They're not cheap, either. There are three tiers of Fortune Cookies available. The most expensive are linked to themed sets and are always purchasable with 50 Leaf Tickets. I grabbed one for the pastry shop themed furniture and clothing set and snagged a cute pastry display. The second tier is available for 5,000 bells, and are also linked to special furniture and clothing sets, but are only sometimes available to buy in the shop. The lowest tier costs 50 bells, and when I ate that I literally got a toilet. You can earn bells and Leaf Tickets in the game, and could probably earn enough Leaf Tickets to get a Fortune Cookie or two through leveling up and finishing quests. If you run out, the Leaf Ticket store does not sell Leaf Tickets in bundles of 50, so you'd have to buy the 45 ticket bundle for $2, and then the 20 ticket bundle for another buck. Your virtual furniture is gonna cost you $3. I reached out to Nintendo to ask why they've added these new items to Pocket Camp but they did not provide comment in time for publication.
Source: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-has-added-loot-boxes-to-animal-crossing-pocke-1825324973

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how lackluster Nintendo's own mobile outings were in terms of revenue, it was obvious that they either had to do something drastic or might as well not bother at all.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it, but Nintendo probably needed to do this lol. They're too easy on their mobile games (except FE leave that alone).

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
WTF. Sorry for such a reaction, but what?! Nintendo is the last company I expected to do this. Kill it with fire. I'm deleting the app, not that I've been playing it a lot lately. I hope the game will fail hard now, it's sad because it had potential.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Is the game still as generous with giving you leaftickets as it was at launch?

Because the amount basically thrown at me when first playing was enough to hoard like crazy and not bother with paying money for any of this bullshit.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Man I am dizzy from all this spinning. Fortune cookies were in New Leaf and they basically brought them back you can use bells to buy them. You don't need to use real money.

Besides, anyone who's played Animal Crossing mobile knows that leaf tickets have been thrown at you from the beginning.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already have this in FE Heroes, nothing new for Nintendo.

Now if this was in any console release I'd likely explode.

Escalario

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF. Sorry for such a reaction, but what?! Nintendo is the last company I expected to do this. Kill it with fire. I'm deleting the app, not that I've been playing it a lot lately. I hope the game will fail hard now, it's sad because it had potential.

If anything, it was weird how non-aggresive Nintendo's mobile games were when it came to getting revenue. Both Super Mario Run and this AC barely make any money. Meanwhile IntSys went with classic gacha mechanics and are bringing in millions after millions.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's a free to play mobile game. What do you expect? Fire Emblem Heroes has been doing this since day one.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
We already have this in FE Heroes, nothing new for Nintendo.

Now if this was in any console release I'd likely explode.

If it is like FE Heroes (free orbs everyday and after you complete each maps + bonuses of all sorts), Gita Jackson is just whining about it, because in FEH you don't really need to spend money, and hello? this is a mobile game so that's the only way to make money.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, FEH is huge for them. I'm surprised as well that they added this post-launch (and not AT launch), but Nintendo is in no way "the last company" I'd see adding in boxes.

Oct 25, 2017
So is the game changed otherwise or did they just add lootboxes? Haven't played it since launch so I wouldn't know too much about the different currencies

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Free to play mobile game, so a little more acceptable than in a full priced retail game, but urgh. Fuck this RNG gatcha trend.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an overreaction? I thought the whole loot box controversy was about console games because the game is already $60, not free mobile games...

This is a practice they've always had. In fact it's literally in FEH

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, this is kind of trashy but also somewhat inherent to Free 2 Play games.

They better not dream of putting them in a full price Switch game.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was surprised it wasn't there already, given FE Heroes had them. A mobile AC seemed like the perfect vehicle for that given how people get addicted to collecting furniture sets and what not in those games.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Well, I don't really see where the negativity stems from as this is a f2p mobile title, right? I personally couldn't care less about those implementing (albeit annoying) monetisation options.

If you'd have to pay for it upfront, this would be another thing. Imagine Mario Run with its 10$ tag after the first levels to implement this stuff.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Sometimes I get the feeling that consumers of mobile games don't take a game seriously unless it features loot boxes or similar microtransactions. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if ACPC's popularity got a major bump now.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing others: lootboxes universally sucks, I'll save my outrage for if/when this actually shows up in their console games.

I knew this would happen the second Nintendo announced they were making a mobile, free to play animal crossing. Which is why I have not and will not touch the game.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
God dammit Nintendo. =/

Did Kimishima miss the whole BF2 outcry?

Then again it's a mobile game so they'll probably get away with it with little public (negative) feedback.