• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
He doesn't say he doesn't hear the desire - he says he doesn't hear it from their internal studios.
But he is apart of this industry, and the original question was for the industry as a whole not just the studios under him. IMO he basically deflected with. "Not my studios, not my concern"

As a leader in the industry, regardless of if his employees are complaining or not, the conversation of unionizing should be on his radar, because in the end it will effect them in some way also

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can I ask how it can be worse for the workers?

And someone has already posted a video of game designer of one of it's adquired studios sporting a "Game Workers Unite" t-shirt on a conference. So... maybe he should be pay attention?

And how do you know if they discussed this in private with this acquired studio? Are there reports somewhere that state this studio has approached Spencer about it?

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the stuff about rushed games is on point. everything they released in the last few years felt rushed and considering how little they had in first party/publishing it makes sense.

seeing halo having a 5 year dev time is really good. AOE4 seems to be cooking for a while too. Tbh all of their games seem to be getting the time they need to really evolve and turn into new things, Ori 2 for 2020 was quite unexpected for me

I think they need a big AAA RPG in their portfolio and build an asian studio.

Obsidian and the second studio from Playground are both AAA's RPG studios

Need to see it to believe it. Phil has been running the show since 2014 and was in Matt booty position before that. Their output of exclusives this generation has been absolutely pitiful, while Nintendo and Sony keep giving you reasons to invest in their ecosystem with diverse lineups that are exclusive to their platform.

Basically, Phil has been all talk and little action towards the hardcore Xbox gamers who still stick with them. The only thing they've succeeded with until this point is their services.

rofl if this is all talk i wonder what's actual action

games take time to make, friend

Last edited:

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
And someone has already posted a video of game designer of one of it's adquired studios sporting a "Game Workers Unite" t-shirt on a conference. So... maybe he should be paying attention?

Wearing a shirt doesn't mean they're openly advocating for it within Microsoft's studios. If they already feel like they're treated well, they may not see the point for them...doesn't mean they don't see the point for other developers at other publishers.

But he is apart of this industry, and the original question was for the industry as a whole not just the studios under him. IMO he basically deflected with. "Not my studios, not my concern"

As a leader in the industry, regardless of if his employees are complaining or not, the conversation of unionizing should be on his radar, because in the end it will effect them in some way also

When you're talking about unions, it really is 'not my studios, not my concern' - mostly because of the business implications. If he says 'Yeah, that shit at Rockstar is BAD...No idea what needs to happen, but they need to get that under control' you don't think there'll be blowback from Take-Two about it?

Plus the question was NOT about the industry - it was directly about conditions at Microsoft. "What are your expectations of the people that work under you and are making games in terms of the extent to which they should or shouldn't crunch, what is a fair thing to ask of your employees… do you have guidelines?"

That, and the entire response about their work making development sustainable without crunch, was something that didn't make the quote cut.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo could be amazing for all we know but you can't sell a system on just one IP.

HaloCombatEvolvedXBOXNTSCCoverArt.jpg

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
They have 3 RPG studios and 2 can make AAA RPGs.
That's why they got Obsidian
Fable 4 should come next-gen, and Obsidian is capable of making another big AAA RPG after The Outer Worlds. As for an Asian studio, I think Spencer said he wants to invest in a Japanese studio. Microsoft will probably acquire an independent Japanese studio like Tabata's new studio or make its own eventually.

I think Obsidian is good for AA RPGs but i dont think if they can make AAA great (good combat, good animations on dialogue, etc) Its the same for Inxile. I loved them but they need people that know how to make a AAA.

As Japan studio will be ok like the Tabatas studio.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
An strong launch title could definitely sell consoles. See Breath of the Wild or Wii Sports.

Halo Infinite could be the same

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I think Obsidian is good for AA RPGs but i dont think if they can make AAA great (good combat, good animations on dialogue, etc)

I mean, Horizon dialogue animations are not good and TW3 combat is not good, but still, they are AAA RPGs
You can add Fallout 4 in the mix as well.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a major hurdle that they have 3 studios now dedicated to continuing (or to put it more cynically, really only emulating) past franchise successes without the creative talent that spawned them, rather than fostering talent to create new IP and forge a new identity. Maybe Halo Infinite is this exciting new thing to inspire people, but Halo 4 and Gears 4 were largely just exercises in "Hey we wanna make a new one of these... but we can't be too different because we still need to win over the skeptics who think it's wrong for anyone else to do these soooo..."
Lol are you misremembering what happened with Halo 4? The multiplayer was all kinds of fucked up and they destroyed any trust they had. The Coalition saw what happened with 343 and THEY wanted to make sure everyone knew they could make a typical Gears game and they did. Halo Infinite is 343's true test if they can make a Halo game.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of this quote, especially when you have an Early Access program.

I have no problem with Sea of Thieves being on Gamepass at launch, but it should not have been sold for $60 outside of GP.

I don't want them to make things GP exclusive if that's what you're implying. SoT should have been in early access for $30 and then launch a year later at $60/GP after the feedback and updates.

Need to see it to believe it. Phil has been running the show since 2014 and was in Matt booty position before that. Their output of exclusives this generation has been absolutely pitiful, while Nintendo and Sony keep giving you reasons to invest in their ecosystem with diverse lineups that are exclusive to their platform.

Basically, Phil has been all talk and little action towards the hardcore Xbox gamers who still stick with them. The only thing they've succeeded with until this point is their services.

They expand their studios from 5 to 15, restructured how their studios are managed, and you still think it's all talk...

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I don't want them to make things GP exclusive if that's what you're implying. SoT should have been in early access for $30 and then launch a year later at $60/GP after the feedback and updates.

Sure, I would have been fine with this, hence me mentioning the early access program that they have. I'm just saying that it was absurd for SoT to launch at $60.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I mean, Horizon dialogue animations are not good and TW3 combat is not good, but still, they are AAA RPGs

About Horizon: But the combat was amazing, also the animations (but yeah, the dialogue was mmm)

About TW3: The combat was mmm but the dialogue (not the animations) was very good on story main and in quests.

I dont like any Fallout after Fallout 2 (Only of course, Fallout The new Vegas)

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Wearing a shirt doesn't mean they're openly advocating for it within Microsoft's studios. If they already feel like they're treated well, they may not see the point for them...doesn't mean they don't see the point for other developers at other publishers.

When you're talking about unions, it really is 'not my studios, not my concern' - mostly because of the business implications. If he says 'Yeah, that shit at Rockstar is BAD...No idea what needs to happen, but they need to get that under control' you don't think there'll be blowback from Take-Two about it?

Plus the question was NOT about the industry - it was directly about conditions at Microsoft. "What are your expectations of the people that work under you and are making games in terms of the extent to which they should or shouldn't crunch, what is a fair thing to ask of your employees… do you have guidelines?"

That, and the entire response about their work making development sustainable without crunch, was something that didn't make the quote cut.

This is the question Im referring to which prompted the follow up with " You don't hear the desire?"

Totilo: Do you think it would be beneficial if game developers unionized?

IMO when it come to unionization there isn't a "us or them", its a "we" so who cares what Take Two thinks, it about the devs not the Pubs.

However while I support unions, it's always been my opinion that it will not happen due to the "not my concern" mindset. The game industry is too global, just like say the clothing industry. There will always be studios in countries who don't give a damn and run sweat shops and Pubs will go to them ( see how Apple and Nike operates)

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Xbox seems pretty healthy and is doing some good stuff for the industry. Why does it matter if they win a race they've never won?

The number of acquisitions they made is more scary than healthy, much like THQ Nordic.

Yes this will help Microsoft no doubt, but they have to prove they can manage so many studios properly because in the past they struggled to manage the 2-3 studios they have, and there is always the concern one day they might start to think like EA shutting down studios like it's nothing.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018

I guess no one voted to be drug tested before joining Era, huh? Not with shit like this ^^ still being posted.

I don't know where to begin here. Its all just...... wrong.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The number of acquisitions they made is more scary than healthy, much like THQ Nordic.

Yes this will help Microsoft no doubt, but they have to prove they can manage so many studios properly because in the past they struggled to manage the 2-3 studios they have, and there is always the concern one day they might start to think like EA shutting down studios like it's nothing.

I think they learned their lesson. The driving point has been letting the studios do what they do. I don't think they're lying about this creative freedom. As to studios shutting down...IDC to entertain that thought before they even get games out. I tend to be more positive about this stuff.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Hardcore Xbox players don't seem to give a fuck?
They have their third party titles and they are happy.

BC and Gamepass has been more than just talk, it's reason to invest into the ecosystem.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Lol are you misremembering what happened with Halo 4? The multiplayer was all kinds of fucked up and they destroyed any trust they had. The Coalition saw what happened with 343 and THEY wanted to make sure everyone knew they could make a typical Gears game and they did. Halo Infinite is 343's true test if they can make a Halo game.
I mean MCC or Anniversary or whatever was a bit of a fucking mess too for a long time too. And even on the campaign end, people like myself who were interested to see Halo go in some wild new directions were left going "oh... so those cool new aliens are like barely in it?"

You'd think 5 would have found more footing but... no.

So now this is again them trying to show they have something to bring to that franchise? Like, I get that there's obviously a lot of pressure, but man, that series hasn't been much of a mover or a shaker in a long time.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, I would have been fine with this, hence me mentioning the early access program that they have. I'm just saying that it was absurd for SoT to launch at $60.

Sony turned the most successful racing franchise in its history into a Gaas title, go and have a look at the praise Polyphony are getting for adding rain into their game two years after launch, and you will see that this system can work providing the foundation is solid.
MS and Rare were right to take the approach they did with regards SoT's release considering its continued popularity.
It's not the right approach for every title, but I think Gaas being some kind of focus from MS when it comes to it's first party releases is a total misconception anyhow.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not nothing, you only have declared the comment nothing for yourself.

There are definetly people out there who are big Yakuza and Kojima fans and would only buy a console if Yakuza and Kojima games are on it.

I remember reading comments on r/xboxone when the Kojima/Sony partnership was announced how people would follow Kojima to any platform he would release his games on.

People have different deal breakers and interests to buy a console.
I cant tell if I should just block you because youre unintentionally daft as to why that comment had nothing to do with this thread, or are just being super disingenuous about it on purpose.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I mean MCC or Anniversary or whatever was a bit of a fucking mess too for a long time too. And even on the campaign end, people like myself who were interested to see Halo go in some wild new directions were left going "oh... so those cool new aliens are like barely in it?"

You'd think 5 would have found more footing but... no.

So now this is again them trying to show they have something to bring to that franchise? Like, I get that there's obviously a lot of pressure, but man, that series hasn't been much of a mover or a shaker in a long time.

Halo 5 was certainly a misstep campaign wise but the MP was something that seemed to please the hardcore Halo fans.
I think part of Halo's problem (and to a certain extent Gears) is people expect an exceptional campaign AND MP from those titles. Halo and Gears are held to higher standards on both sides now due to the competition (Sony) bringing excellent SP experiences and the COD's and Overwatch et al leading the MP space.
It's an almost impossible task to live up to the standards Halo and Gears set all those years ago in the current gaming climate.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
But you do not need to jump to next gen for Halo. Infinite will release on Xbox One and PC, more cjoice is good and like that my One X is console to stay in my living room.

But I have to say I am not hyped on Halo, but interested which way the next game will go.
That's all well and good, but even despite having a PC equipped with an i5 and a 1070, and an XB1X, I still feel like the best experience will be on Scarlett, so that's what I gotta have!

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant tell if I should just block you because youre unintentionally daft as to why that comment had nothing to do with this thread, or are just being super disingenuous about it on purpose.

Do what you gotta do. Do whatever feels right for you.

Personally, I will never block anyone and have never blocked anyone.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

When have Microsoft ever had only '2-3' studios?

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whole lotta nothing there, he doesn't really address why MS has been so utterly left behind in the 1st party exclusive battle.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just don't see how Microsoft can stop from falling behind at their current trajectory. Gamepass is their biggest selling point.

Halo could be amazing for all we know but you can't sell a system on just one IP.

People bought the OG Xbox for Halo.

People bought the Switch for Breath of the Wild.

Getting a killer app is all it takes for people to hop on board, and this has been proven time and time again.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People bought the OG Xbox for Halo.

People bought the Switch for Breath of the Wild.

Getting a killer app is all it takes for people to hop on board, and this has been proven time and time again.
The problem is 343 are not capable of making a game on the level of OG halo (or 2 or 3). Each iteration theyve changed how the game fundamentally plays because their previous entry hasnt stuck and now 2 games into their series theyre already soft rebooting it. MS cant depend on Halo like it used to with Bungie.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is 343 are not capable of making a game on the level of OG halo (or 2 or 3). Each iteration theyve changed how the game fundamentally plays because their previous entry hasnt stuck and now 2 games into their series theyre already soft rebooting it. MS cant depend on Halo like it used to with Bungie.

considering destiny, bungie can't make stuff like halo 3 anymore too

Halo 4 sucks a LOT and Halo 5 is quite a weak entry, but at least now they're having a lot of time to try to do some new stuff, i'm curious for the result

BOTW isn't even the highest selling Switch game.

it still sold consoles.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The quality doesn't dictate AAA, the budget does. Frozen Wilds were a marked improvement anyway.

BOTW isn't even the highest selling Switch game.

This doesn't contradict the point being made. BotW I believe is going to be the best selling Zelda ever.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo ODST all play very differently from each other as well though.

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I'm totally okay with a soft reboot; from a story POV I think it started to backslide a bit with Halo 5 and was so long and drawn out it wasn't really worth iterating down that path.. or at least I'm glad they aren't.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
but it still sold the console for a good portion of 2017. It definitely got people on board from the get go.

But the Switch isn't going to move units for the next 5-7 years solely because of it. Microsoft has struggled to establish an array of reliable IP. It can't launch with Halo and then expect Halo alone to keep the console flow moving. Even the Switch took a hit in H2 2018 because the only new software was Smash and Pokemon.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
is the only "negative" to unionisation the fact that corporations couldnt work their employees into the ground and then toss them aside once they've outlived their purpose, anymore?

May 9, 2019
Australia

Halo 4 sucks a LOT and Halo 5 is quite a weak entry, but at least now they're having a lot of time to try to do some new stuff, i'm curious for the result

I just don't see Halo catching the imagination of people like Breath of the Wild. I definitely don't see a pretty average studio like 343 pulling off what Nintendo did.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
My problem with Phil is he says the right things, but they continue to fall flat with me because nothing really changes. U could argue 1st party games have gotten worse recently

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see Halo catching the imagination of people like Breath of the Wild. I definitely don't see a pretty average studio like 343 pulling off what Nintendo did.

BOTW is one of my favorite games of all times and so is Halo 3 (and Halo 3 actually sold more than BOTW), so i don't see it being impossible for the franchise, but i agree with you in that i don't think 343 can pull this off

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

it still sold consoles.

All true. Halo in general doesnt seem to be something they can depend on.
Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo ODST all play very differently from each other as well though.
Reach was a spinoff that they used to set up the framework of Destiny. 1, 2 and 3 aren't that different and certainly didnt need a soft reboot 2 games in. Not to mention 1, 2 and 3 werent met with lukewarm responses at best and outcries at worst.

Last edited: