• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is superior?

• Forums

Votes: 988 65.4%
  • Discord

Votes: 136 9.0%
  • Porque no los dos?

Votes: 237 15.7%
  • I am too old for this shit

Votes: 273 18.1%
  • Discord moves too fast

Votes: 306 20.3%
  • Ain't nobody got time for that

Votes: 125 8.3%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 177 11.7%

• Total voters

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
After some questionable takes lately we got good one from Kotaku.

Readers are then urged to move to the site's Discord, because of course they would be. Now, I don't want to pick on Eurogamer here, as like I said up top, in every individual case companies and sites have their reasons for doing this, and the most frequently cited are the fact that forums need to be maintained (true!) and that people's conversational habits have changed, with forum use dwindling (also true!).

But I simply do not care, because a) I don't work for these companies, and b) I'm more interested in looking at the long-term damage this is doing to the internet. Forums and Discord are apples and oranges. Users aren't being moved from one similar thing to another, they're being shifted to platforms with fundamentally different ways of approaching discussions.

Discord is great for talking in the moment. It's a place for real-time conversations (or at lease those a few hours old if they're not as busy), a fancy way to manage multiple chat rooms and voice comms, and if that's what you want—and millions of people around the world do, for loads of needs and wants—then great!

Forums aren't the same though. They're nothing like it. Forums are more deliberate, more considered, and while they're far from perfect—I'm sure you can post a billion examples of people being neither deliberate or considered on forums—the point is that they're more permanent.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Forums are losing popularity as time goes on, and they're a bitch to maintain and moderate effectively. I understand both sides.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
What companies could do at least is put forums in read only modes instead of deleting them.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I'm too old to figure out discord properly.
And I've been to their office and met with leaders there a handful of times, and I've used it for voice chat when I've played games with friends

but the general chatting?
Very obscure to me

I'm gonna go yell at clouds now

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If a forum has tons of 2-3 post users because they required help with something at some point and only a few active users, then i guess thst forum can be replaced by a chat app.

And compared to Discord you don't need to repeat solution to an issue 20 times because people can easily find and see solution.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like Discord to chat with friends or use it for calls, it is horrible for bigger communities since there is no good enough structure to look up
for reoccurring topics, you can't properly find stuff and a lot of knowledge will get buried in a constant stream of posts by others and there is no
way for someone outside to search/google for it years down the line.
The amount of knowledge I gathered through the years for video encoding or retro gaming hardware thanks to forums is staggering and I would have been lost with that closed system that is Discord.

But I think the problem with Forums is, that it's more complicated to set one up, it is more costly (heck, Discord is free) and it needs better integration of Chat/VoiP features

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
imagine using Discord as a replacement for forums, if anything it's probably an addendum

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the worst thing about moving to discord is how you cant google for answers to stuff.

the day gamefaqs dies will be a sad day with all those written guides

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
I don't understand Discord at all. I use it to voice chat during games but that's about it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not a replacement at all, as shown by discord desperately trying to figure out how to build in forum functionality into servers.

But like, it's a chatroom. It's not the same thing at all.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Because a large part of forums, especially for games, are bugs/trouble shooting or guides and tips. Information that is easily searchable and useful to still be online in a read mode for people years later.
But a larger part of forums are shitposts, petty arguments, and conversations about nothing really. I don't see why Any site would want aging inactive forum posts just sitting there in perpetuity. unless they cleaned them up and only kept the good stuff, but that's a gargantuan task to serve a minuscule audience, it's not worth it

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
But a larger part of forums are shitposts, petty arguments, and conversations about nothing really. I don't see why Any site would want aging forum posts just sitting there in perpetuity. unless they cleaned them up and only kept the good stuff, but that's a gargantuan task to serve a minuscule audience, it's not worth it

I mean, if you're not interested in long term discussion, then it's fine.

But like, if your forum was that to the point where it was a problem, your discord is going to be WAY WORSE. There just won't be as many receipts.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Without Era I'd get like zero game news and discussion. No way in hell I'm ever switching to reddit or some discord for that.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
How come? People post topics and people discuss them. The format is slightly different, but the point is the same.

I use discord daily, even for work. It's great for a lot of stuff, but long form forum style discussions? Nah, I don't think so. It's far more of a chat program like IRC before than anything. But it get it, it's very popular and people are using it more and more, unlike IRC which always had an "underground" feel to it.

For the reactive stuff like watching a live event and commenting on? Yeah, discord is far better. For more in depth discussions about a game? Doable of course on discord, but I enjoy taking my time reading stuff and taking a while to formulate my post as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Discord servers being private means so many meaningful discussions will simply never be seen by most people searching on google. That's the thing that kind of puts me off on it. But it's still a very useful program.

Oct 25, 2017
How come? People post topics and people discuss them. The format is slightly different, but the point is the same.
What? Forums provide searchable archives of all topics of conversation if you were to search. Current topics also exist as a easy to track conversation you can revisit in chronological order. They also have historical purpose since you can see the discussion/reaction of certain events and topics at a certain point in time. Discord chat exists for an instant in the moment and then it's gone. They serve totally different purposes.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I don't think Discord can't replace forums. Discord is great for chatting with a small group of friends living in the same region. But when it starts to have, let's say, more than 20 people living in different regions, it's hard to keep track with anything, let alone having a meaningful discussion.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I feel like an old man whenever I use Discord

Having said that, it was very useful for our group's COVID lockdown D&D campaign, so I do see the value

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I tried using discord when we moved here from gaf and I just couldn't work it out at all. It and reddit make me feel super old in not being able to understand them.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
When gaf imploded there's were people saying let's just do a discord

Crazy people.

I also don't think it is a good replacement. It feels more insular and is more akin to IRC back in the day. Sure Discord has a bunch of fancy features those didn't have, but it's still more of a real time communication tool.

Unless you have way too much time on your hands Discord is an awful way to foster discussion. Maybe it works with a group of friends, but that is the limit.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
No they don't. Server owners make channels with extremely broad topics and people engage in ephemeral conversations under them.

IRC and forums not only coexisted back in the day, they often went hand in hand. Pretty much any forum of sufficient size had a presence on IRC to go along with it.

People understood that one was good for informal conversation while the other was the place to have focused, long form discussion and deal with in depth (technical or otherwise) issues.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I especially can't stand support moving to discord. Most problems I have I never have to ask anyone about it. I just Google and there's often some previous forum posts detailing the solution. Can't do that with a glorified IRC. Even finding the link to the correct server can be a pain.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Old forums are an incredible resource when you need an answer to an obscure question. Often, you'll find that someone asked the same thing at some point in the history of the internet, and that thread will show up in Google.

Discord doesn't do that. Those conversations aren't indexed. To get any help at all, you need to already know what public servers the most knowledgeable people currently hang out in, and let's face it, you probably won't know that.

When forums disappear, Google gets significantly less useful, and that's a problem.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont wanna directly talk to any of you, i wanna talk over all of you