• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't see this as something worth boycotting the game over. Sure Rousey is a piece of shit and I didn't care for her at all even before either of these incidents, but to me Sonya in MK exists separately from the real life Rousey. She is one character, whom I have never used regularly in any of the previous 10 games, out of a roster of 30. To boycott the whole game over a character I'll probably only see in 1% of my screen time with the game outside of story mode seems like overkill. And I am tired of this whole "let's punish and call out a whole company because they did work with a terrible person" mindset. It's not fair to the rest of the staff outside of the casting department and publsiher (who obviously did it to boost sales among UFC/Wrestling fans) who worked hard on the rest of the game. The guy that founded chick-fil-a is a homophobe that actively sponsors anti-gay movements, but I still eat there (as do my gay and trans friends) because the sandwiches are fucking tasty and because he's one guy out of the thousands that work there. Hell, the owner of the franchises in my home town is gay. Hopefully they'll re-record her lines like they did in Destiny and in the upcoming Judgement, but I wouldn't let this deter me from enjoying the rest of the game.

Kaiten

Oct 22, 2018
I don't see this as something worth boycotting the game over. Sure Rousey is a piece of shit and I didn't care for her at all even before either of these incidents, but to me Sonya in MK exists separately from the real life Rousey. She is one character, whom I have never used regularly in any of the previous 10 games, out of a roster of 30. To boycott the whole game over a character I'll probably only see in 1% of my screen time with the game outside of story mode seems like overkill. And I am tired of this whole "let's punish and call out a whole company because they did work with a terrible person" mindset. It's not fair to the rest of the staff outside of the casting department and publsiher (who obviously did it to boost sales among UFC/Wrestling fans) who worked hard on the rest of the game. The guy that founded chick-fil-a is a homophobe that actively sponsors anti-gay movements, but I still eat there (as do my gay and trans friends) because the sandwiches are fucking tasty and because he's one guy out of the thousands that work there. Hell, the owner of the franchises in my home town is gay. Hopefully they'll re-record her lines like they did in Destiny and in the upcoming Judgement, but I wouldn't let this deter me from enjoying the rest of the game.
Came to more or less say this. I'm sorry for any mainly Sonya fans who aren't buying this game bc she's voiced by her but for people who just enjoy the MK games or fighting games in general, I really don't understand boycotting the entire game due to one VA. I can completely get behind raising awareness about not wanting her inclusion to the point that Sonya gets another VA (or modding her voice on PC which Im sure someone is doing already) but dont let her prevent you from enjoying something.

In response to the guy on the first page, that is the true meaning of separating art from the artist. It's not just loving her voice (truthfully, I havent heard it since I've only played Cassie in ranked) despite the terrible person she is, it's still being able to enjoy something she contributed to even if you don't support her.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone have every right to be uncomfortable by her inclusion due to her views. They make me uncomfortable too, but unfortunately not enough to make me not want to play MK11 or Sonya. I feel like I can commit to enough separation and escapism to mitigate that discomfort. But what I truly can't escape, and please excuse my messed up priorities, is how downright terrible the quality of her performance is. It's terribad and orders of magnitude worse than the rest of the cast. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

NR is basically asking everyone to ignore the conspiracy theories, transphobia, terrible performance, and all for what?

The idea of including her is like a rotten onion. Each layer you peel reveals something worse. There's no payoff. I'd pay money for a replacement VO.

EFqh3Od.png

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017
I'm constantly thankful that these articles get written in our industry. Obviously, it'd be better if they never had to be written, if we could oust bigotry through common respect and decency, but until then...

Do these kinds of articles even get written in the professional wrestling or MMA scenes? Would we have to deal with this shit if those businesses would deplatform bigotry before they get to ours?
Sports journalism in general tackles it occasionally.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think everyone have every right to be uncomfortable by her inclusion due to her views. They make me uncomfortable too, but unfortunately not enough to make me not want to play MK11 or Sonya. I feel like I can commit to enough separation and escapism to mitigate that discomfort. But what I truly can't escape, and please excuse my messed up priorities, is how downright terrible the quality of her performance is. It's terribad and orders of magnitude worse than the rest of the cast. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

NR is basically everyone to ignore the conspiracy theories, transphobia, terrible performance, and all for what? The idea of including her is like a rotten onion. Each layer you peels reveals something worse. There's no payoff. I'd pay money for a replacement VO.

EFqh3Od.png
You're not the first to say it, and *sigh* sadly I WOULD pay for a voice pack that replaces her voice.

I doubt they care enough to pull a Dinklebot replacement, Destiny-style, but it's probably the biggest sore spot on an otherwise pretty awesome game for me.