• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel this makes more sense in the other thread, feel free to lock this.

More at the link.

Edit: To be clear, "fiscal year" is April 2018 - March 2019, though October - November is the most likely given the series history.

Kotaku's Jason Schreier said:
Rumors about the next Assassin's Creed have been circulating for months now—some real, some fake—but the one we've been hearing since January from our own sources is that the game is indeed set in Greece, and that it'll be even more of a drastic departure for the series than Origins. We've heard the same details from three people who have played the game, and several more who have heard about it secondhand. While Origins added Witcher-like RPG elements, Odyssey will take things even further, those people said, bringing dialogue options to the series for the first time. You'll be able to play as either a male or a female protagonist, although the builds we've heard about did not feature Origins' main characters Bayek or Aya, but new heroes.
Source: https://kotaku.com/new-leak-reveals-assassins-creed-odyssey-set-in-ancien-1826454752

Last edited:

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Whaaaat? Multiple protagonists? Not Aya or Bayek though? Aww I was hoping for them.

But I'm still hyped. If they keep the same mission structure as Origins and combat I'm there.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I think Bayek is coming back, he's the best thing to happen to the franchise since Ezio and a rich character.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I hope the f in the title is for "franchise fatigue." Slow. Down. I can only get into one of these games every couple years, and I loved Origins, but c'mon. Give me some room to breathe.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back to yearly schedule again huh?

12-yikes.gif

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Out this fiscal year? That makes me feel better. I am totally down for a late February release of AC, but I do think the franchise has holiday release caliber. I don't want the game to become calendar yearly though. Origins really benefitted from that extra year IMO.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Out this fiscal year? That makes me feel better. I am totally down for a late February release of AC, but I do think the franchise has holiday release caliber. I don't want the game to become calendar yearly though. Origins was too good IMO.
I'm guessing it's November, but it is possible it's Q1, yes.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Out this year would be terrible imo. They probably put it in October also to screw with us.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed they're returning to yearly releases.
I do wish the Rome or Greece games would have Bayek and Aya.
I'm honestly hoping it's a holiday 2019 game.
This sounds a lot like what was circulating from 4chan and the AC subreddit a few weeks ago.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
when Origins got an extra year, this game did too. It makes sense it would release this year. And the changes sound great.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
New news, new thread.

Count me in. Sounds significant and like a lot of fun

IndyGame

Apr 8, 2018
I've been really enjoying Origins, so a natural expansion upon some of the core RPG concepts would be kinda neat. And ancient Greece... oh man.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overreactions in here big time

Game has had a long time of development and this is significant changes for the franchise. Not just a quickly developed game shoved out the door.

The Kotaku article even says it's a bigger change up to the franchise than Origins was

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Overreactions in here big time

Game has had a long time of development and this is significant changes for the franchise. Not just a quickly developed game shoved out the door.

The Kotaku article even says it's a bigger change up to the franchise than Origins was

Its not about quality for me. But about fatique again to be fair. Yearly releases again i would not like.

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
last year's Assassin's Creed, despite a 2 year break, was one of the bloatiest Ubi games I've ever played. Whilst nicely detailed, the world was filled with a pointless amount of quests, activities and instantly forgettable NPCs and side-quests.

The break was clearly to redefine AC as less of an open-world Action/Adventure and more of an attempt of a Witcher/RPG clone.

The space between entries in the series is not indicative of its quality and people who are disappointed that the title is releasing this year should not be surprised. They've defined their new template and will be able to reuse it to their content now.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if dialogue options are necessary in a game like AC, but I'm not against the idea if they'll have real purpose. Setting should be fun.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like the idea of multiple protagonists... usually the writing suffers in that scenario and it was already the weakest part of Origins.

However, the idea that are going further on the RPG elements and maybe still using Witcher 3 as a template sounds good. Not expecting much (I'm assuming the dialog choices will be mostly without consequence) but I hope they can again join the great open world of Origins with these mechanics.

In short, looks like they are still on the direction started with Origins, which I very much liked... but I really hope for better writing and more attention/budget to the sidequests.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I haven't played Origins yet. Kinda hoping the series wouldn't be back to yearly instalments, especially seeing how well Origins was received.