• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We barely bought updates that were free, to those who never sailed the sea
those there's always more potential within
and as this song will spell out, there's plenty to sing about
now you can finally be a bargain

can you imagine, owning your own ship
decorated with what you acquire
then to satisfy your vanity, as long as there's no players, broken gameplay
you can name it just how you desire

oh, to set sail as a pirate bargain
there's boatloads of features we proclaim

that's why we really think that you should play this game
(and it SHOULD be available with xbox game pass, of course)

6 years later will come knocking on your door

and you'll be amazed at what we have in store

the choice is yours whatever captain you may be
whether , shootin, racing, lore embracing, everybody's welcome in this game

so come set sail as a pirate bargain
our time is almost up so as we leave

if you want to be a pirate captain
come do it in another game.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making a franchise based of the single player of ac4 alongside the solid foundation and ideas of sea of thieves should have been a home run

Amazing how they apparently just couldn't get the concept right. I can't see how this game releases in November
My guess is Ubisoft demanded it be a GAAS'd to the gills shit show that was impossible to make fun.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Man back when this was announced (back in 2018!!!) i was pretty excited because it was something i felt would challenge Sea of Thieves. At the time, I felt SoT wasn't in a great place and had a lot of work ahead of them.

Flash forward to today, and it sounds like even after they "rebooted" the game development its still going to be churned out as a piece of garbage that *maybe* will be fixed later. And Sea of Thieves is probably one of the best games on this generation's consoles, especially with all the love and support they've added to the game.
It was never going to challenge Sea of Thieves. Sea of Thieves asks if you'd like to become a pirate. Skull & Bones asks if you'd like to become a pirate.....'s ship.

KAP151

Oct 25, 2017
What an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

This looked so promising early on.

But much like Anthem, it appears it was all a smoke screen and there isnt an actual "'game" to be found.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was use AC: Black Flag's Ocean/Ship engine and add more islands and ship stuff.

Why is this so hard?

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
I feel bad for anyone that actually buys this come November HOWEVER it's a likely candidate for funniest glitch gifs of all time. Like Fifa, WWE levels of funny. I can feel it.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
If this game somehow dowses the incentive to create new pirate games, I'm going to be monumentally pissed off. Like, I know SOT exists and all, but...

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
This game has been completely off my radar, but after reading that it's coming out regardless of its state due to contractual agreements, I'm much more interested.

Like, how rough is Skull and Bones going to be?

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Crazy to think how troubled this game is with all of the foundations theoretically being there with Ubisoft's past experience. Even cobbling this together from pre-existing parts seems like something that hasn't happened.
You'd think but the game has been rebooted a handful of times from its initial modest ambitions of just being Black Flag DLC. Ubi Singapore did the ship gameplay for Black Flag and technically they could have just done a GAAS live multiplayer version through Early Access. It's now cost Ubisoft $120 million and government subsidies require it to ship. I doubt Ubisoft Singapore would exist after launch even though the govt wants more original IP.

kotaku.com

First It Was An Assassin's Creed Expansion, Now It's Ubisoft's 8 Year Nightmare

Inside Ubisoft Singapore’s struggle to ship Skull & Bones
The idea was simple. Ubisoft Singapore was responsible for developing the sailing tech that helped define some of the best parts of Black Flag and had recently-gained experience in online multiplayer games with its ongoing work on a free-to-play Tom Clancy game called Ghost Recon Phantoms. Black Flag Infinite would pool that expertise to make a quick turnaround live service game that would reuse and reskin as much of Black Flag as possible. But conditions on the ground were already beginning to outstrip these modest ambitions.​
The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One had just come out, and in the years ahead Black Flag's already aging tech would become even more dated.​
"Technology was moving forward, and pretty soon you want better visuals. And then you realize that some of your assets don't fit anymore," said one former developer. "And the more and more you start to change, the more parts become obsolete. And when a project drags for more than a couple years, your initial assumptions are no longer valid."​
Ubisoft eventually decided to leave Black Flag behind and create a new AAA IP that would still revolve around ship combat but with its own narrative and visual identity. And so Skull & Bones, codenamed "Project Liberté," was born. But the real trouble was just getting started.​
"On paper Skull & Bones looks like it's an easy game to make, but it's really not," said one former developer.​
Skull & Bones has been a lot of things in the years since it entered pre-production, developers told Kotaku. At one point, it was set in the Caribbean. Later, it moved to the Indian Ocean. One version was inspired by Sid Meier's Pirates! and played out in a fantastical world called Hyperborea through branching multiplayer campaigns that lasted weeks. Another revolved around an elaborate floating base called Libertalia—a "cathedral on water," as one developer described it—inspired by the mythical pirate colony of the same name. Most of these ideas never made it past the prototyping phase but still managed to take up an increasing amount of the Singapore studio's time as developers reworked designs and concepts for a game whose core premise appeared to change with the wind.​
By 2017, the studio tried to reign in its ambitions to focus on ship combat, and Skull & Bones was once again reborn, this time as a session-based shooter modeled after Rainbow Six Siege but with boats. This was the version that was revealed at E3 2017, but Ubisoft wasn't ready to ditch dreams of a grander pirate exploration game just yet. It would still need a world and quests beyond a monetizable PVP grind. So in 2018, Skull & Bones returned to E3 with a PVE free roam mode called "Hunting Grounds." Here, similar to The Division's "Dark Zones," players could loot hideouts, fight one another, or work together to take on more powerful AI opponents.​
But this version of the game would eventually get scrapped too, and by 2019, survival games like Rust and Ark: Survival Evolved became Skull & Bones' new guiding stars. In addition to the sailing, fighting, and looting, there would be resource management elements like crafting and trading. There would also be harsher stakes for dying, adding a roguelike-lite edge to the pirate fantasy. It was a particularly messy change in direction, according to five current and former developers. The project's existing engine tools were ill-equipped to take players exploring on land for resources, and the additional layers of inventory were a pain to try to implement, they said.​
By 2020, direction had shifted yet again, four current and former developers told Kotaku. The latest build of Skull & Bones will be different still, though many remain unsure what shape the finished game will ultimately take. It's not just that it isn't close to the finish line yet; it's still not even clear where the finish line is.​

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Sounds like it would have been cancelled or at least in "forever development" level if not for a government subsidy being close to over for that studio branch to release something

It will be interesting how many glitches and/or poor gameplay moments will be found

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
The higher ups fucked this game up so bad.

Could've done something really cool.

But the fact that you can't even explore islands, dig up treasure, board other ships. Like, the most piratey stuff there is. I see this game flopping so hard.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm moderately annoyed that this essentially ruined the opportunity to have a big budget AAA studio gaming studio in Singapore.

Or at least set us back another couple of years.

(EDIT: I'm referring to Ubisoft's mismanagement)

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What an absolute, unmitigated disaster.

This looked so promising early on.

But much like Anthem, it appears it was all a smoke screen and there isnt an actual "'game" to be found.

It's not like anthem or in a state like cyberpunk.

What they showed back then is still in the game more or less. Skull and bones overall is content complete for the most part. Its other issues that are the focus now. I would not be surprised if this launches as f2p.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
Ubisoft asking for more hate…
I really don't understand what happened with Ubisoft!!
they were so promising at the beginning of the PS4/Xbox One gen…
I simply just play Ubisoft games nowadays when they are free or are less than 15 dollars…

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm moderately annoyed that this essentially ruined the opportunity to have a big budget AAA studio gaming studio in Singapore.

Or at least set us back another couple of years.

(EDIT: I'm referring to Ubisoft's mismanagement)

It might have been Bandai Namco Singapore if Metroid Prime 4 and Ridge Racer 8 (maybe) worked out:
www.resetera.com

Rumor: Metroid Prime 4 developed with Bandai Namco Singapore & Ridge Racer 8 exclusive to Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtkP9vThLw4&feature=youtu.be A leak seems to have come out from a Youtuber named Doctre81 with a LinkedIn slip. He's has been known for doing some detective work, discovering these types of leaks which have been accurate in the past. Edit: The Ace Combat 7...
www.resetera.com

Eurogamer: So, about those rumours. Yes, Bandai Namco (Singapore) is working on Metroid Prime 4

Yes, Bandai Namco is working on Metroid Prime 4 Internet rumours this week pegged Bandai Namco as being the mystery studio behind Metroid Prime 4 - something multiple sources have now confirmed to Eurogamer as being accurate. Specifically, the highly-anticipated Nintendo Switch exclusive is...

They're still hiring: https://bandainamcostudios.sg/

Oct 25, 2017
All they had to do was make an updated Black Flag style action game without all the sci-fi malarkey, and it would've printed money. This game's development is going to make a fascinating long-form article someday.

Last edited:

BlackBate

Oct 22, 2019
So, the game is going to be re-announced on Thursday. Also the pre-orders will go live at that moment too

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
I wonder if any publisher/dev has come to Microsoft to ask them to put a game on Game Pass?

I wonder if Microsoft has ever rejected a game?

Kinda excited to see the state of this game on release. Usually don't get to see dumpster fires coming from years away like this lol

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
It's wild. They should have just made a Pirates of the Caribbean game without the attached realism or assassin baggage of BF. Like demons, sea monsters, etc.

It'd sell crazy well. Even if this was a solid 8/10 it's launching in an extremely competitive gaas market. It's doomed to fail.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

That release is gonna be glorious.

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Ubisoft demanded it be a GAAS'd to the gills shit show that was impossible to make fun.
GAAS isn't remotely the issue with what has been shown of the game.

Its that they took Assassin's Creed which for all its fault is still an amazing exploration and adventure game.
They took a side portion of one of the better games that worked in service of the rest of the game but gouged out everything else that made the game work.
No foot exploration -> seems like it was updated to ports later after backlash

I mean I guess you can even get over that if you consider how focused they are on MP combat.............
But they cut the fucking boarding combat out as well.

Its not a pirate game, its a naval game and there are far better free games doing that already.

Hell i'd still forgive it if it wasn't just riding an amazing game, one of the best in the franchise that was basically 1 and done and hardly anything out there compares or cures the craving of more.
Ku10IDUv5k4nRW6fZqxEqFJ04iEqx_7PPSMv3zJ8x7M.jpg

I'd happily take Black Flag X Division GAAS over this

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason this couldn't have been a small game like Grow Home? Giving a support studio a AAA game, even if it started as an Assassin's Creed expansion, seems like a recipe for disaster from the get-go.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It was never going to challenge Sea of Thieves. Sea of Thieves asks if you'd like to become a pirate. Skull & Bones asks if you'd like to become a pirate.....'s ship.

This was always the original flaw with this game conceptually. I actually participated in the survey after AC4 launched, where Ubisoft asked questions about whether people would be interested in a pirate game. I loved the pirate stuff in AC4, so I was all for it. It was one of the few customer surveys I've ever completed.

Instead, they took the weird message that what people wanted was a full game of nothing BUT the ship combat And beyond that, like a decade has passed since AC4 came out and that naval combat has worn a bit thin over several more AC games.

All people wanted was a game that built out the pirate fantasy more, and left behind the Assassin's Creed baggage. Ship-to-ship combat was certainly part of that, but ONLY that would feel incredibly confining and lame - and as you say, more like you're role-playing a boat instead of a pirate.

It'll be interesting to see if this game has any marketing at all, or if they just throw it out into the world to die.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
GAAS isn't remotely the issue with what has been shown of the game.

Its that they took Assassin's Creed which for all its fault is still an amazing exploration and adventure game.
They took a side portion of one of the better games that worked in service of the rest of the game but gouged out everything else that made the game work.
No foot exploration -> seems like it was updated to ports later after backlash

I mean I guess you can even get over that if you consider how focused they are on MP combat.............
But they cut the fucking boarding combat out as well.

Its not a pirate game, its a naval game and there are far better free games doing that already.

Oh god, I didn't even know they cut out the boarding part of the ship gameplay LOL. What a clusterfuck.

OP
OP
modiz

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So, the game is going to be re-announced on Thursday. Also the pre-orders will go live at that moment too
Single digit post count, no posts for over a year after mentioning Flight Simulator DLC and Death Stradning Directors Cut details which were pretty accurate... I guess that seems legit enough lol.

Would also line up with Tom Henderson saying the rereveal will happen in early July

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Nintendo doomed? Or actually doomed doomed?

If the government thinks it's good enough for release, then it has to be a hit among the casuals.
What does the government have to do with anytiing? Ubisoft is releasing this so they don't have to pay a financial penalty for taking a government grant and not releasing a product. The grant doesn't care about product quality, only that a major project was developed mostly in the country.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I did not know this began as a multiplayer expansion to Assassin's Creed IV. Absolutely wild that it's taken this long to make.
Actually BF that we got, was borne out of first version of (studio's initial attempt at an original IP, it wasn't even MP-centric right at the start) what would years later become S&B.