• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront 2 was garbage, especially the main story. The one Luke scene, which itself was a bad mission, doesn't change that.

This "all canon" approach is terrible and stifling on creativity.

Gotta disagree. The story was the only redeeming factor of it. It's problems were it being so half-baked, mostly just recycling multiplayer maps. The way the story that's as there was so ingrained in the larger canon, referencing books and cartoons instead of just the movies, was really nice to see.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

When EA's top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that's now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I've heard next-gen consoles will launch.
No idea how they plan on turning around a project in less than two years. Even something "smaller" has to be pretty ambitious to meet fan expectations. (and smaller somehow didn't cut it for Visceral's game?)

Absolute shithouse.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
height of incompetence really. linear games dont make us enough money and open world games are too much of a time and money investment
why spend time on making a game when we can just have them do nothing for 7 years and then axe the studio.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

So, they only just now realized they've been squandering the license on borrowed time and want to rush out a small game? Do they realize if they quit canceling shit they would have come out sooner. They've gone full circle. They canceled Amy Henning's game because it didn't have a bunch of online elements, so they expanded the scope to include online shit. Now, they're canceling this new, expanded shit to go back to a smaller game because its taking too long to make the expanded game.

Is that right?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
No idea how they plan on turning around a project in less than two years. Even something "smaller" has to be pretty ambitious to meet fan expectations.

Indeed. This doesn't make much sense. I could believe it if they were repurposing parts of Orca into this more immediate game, but that's clearly not how Jason phrased things.

To meet that kind of timeline, the only other thing that comes to mind is building a linear FPS campaign using the BF engine.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Just take the damn ip away from them already and give it to someone else. Hell, let Sony have a crack at it, it did wonders for spider-man

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. This doesn't make much sense. I could believe it if they were repurposing parts of Orca into this more immediate game, but that's clearly not how Jason phrased things.

To meet that kind of timeline, the only other thing that comes to mind is building a linear FPS campaign using the BF engine.

They could make another mobile game or a smaller digital-only release. Jedi Power Battles HD remake? Lol

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017

You know, the original Visceral Games version was supposed to ship last year, and employees think they could have done it if EA actually supported them...so EA canceled the single-player game that would come out nice and early, handed it to another developer to start over and turn into a huge open-world multiplayer game, and now have canceled that one to start over again and make a smaller-scope game so it can ship sooner.

Sounds like a lot of competence from EA's execs!

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
EA really messed up that Star Wars license get. Ubisoft would have had 18 games out in the 6-7 years EA have had it.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Shouldn't EA be fined for breach of contract? I'm sure they're not fulfilling Disney's contract.

So this means no new Star Wars game/s until next gen.....

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
So, they only just now realized they've been squandering the license on borrowed time and want to rush out a small game? Do they realize if they quit canceling shit they would have come out sooner. They've gone full circle. They canceled Amy Henning's game because it didn't have a bunch of online elements, so they expanded the scope to include online shit. Now, they're canceling this new, expanded shit to go back to a smaller game because its taking too long to make the expanded game.

Is that right?
This shit is so stupid it beggars belief.

If I'm going to throw some wild speculation on how they can turn something exciting around in a tight window... KOTOR remaster. Everything ported to Frostbite and prettied up for next-gen launch. I don't know what else they can do.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Single player linear adventure? This doesn't have staying power. We need to pivot towards open world, long term engaging content service!"
"Open world, long term engagement game? This is gonna take too long to make. We need to pivot towards a less ambitious design ready for next gen launch!"
"Less ambitious design next gen launch game? This is no way to compete with all these creative, high quality new games. We need to pivo... oh, the licensing agreement expired already? That came out of nowhere!"

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't EA be fined for breach of contract? I'm sure they're not fulfilling Disney's contract.
That's not how game/movie licenses work. EA likely paid Disney a lot of money to be able to make Star Wars games exclusively for 10 years. Disney didn't pay them to make X number of games, EA can choose not to release any games if they want, or a thousand games, whatever they can do in 10 years.

Jul 26, 2018
Ironically Activision could probably make good use of the license now they High Moon and the other studios used to support Destiny have nothing to do. Just make a Star Wars Destiny game.
This. High Moon studious made the Transformers games so amazing. Well War and Fall for cybertron that is... I can see them working on Star Wars.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This shit is so stupid it beggars belief.

If I'm going to throw some wild speculation on how they can turn something exciting around in a tight window... KOTOR remaster. Everything ported to Frostbite and prettied up for next-gen launch. I don't know what else they can do.

Disney would likely not allow a KOTOR remaster.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Single player linear adventure? This doesn't have staying power. We need to pivot towards open world, long term engaging content service!"
"Open world, long term engagement game? This is gonna take too long to make. We need to pivot towards a less ambitious design ready for next gen launch!"
"Less ambitious design next gen launch game? This is no way to compete with all these creative, high quality new games. We need to pivo... oh, the licensing agreement expired already? That came out of nowhere!"

i wonder if this deal was even a net profit for them.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
To all these people asking for games reminiscent of Dark Forces or KOTOR or whatever, let's be real here: EA wanted to make vehicles for Star Wars-themed microtransactions or subscriptions or whatever.

I took another look at the games EA is supporting right now: BFV, BFII, Anthem, Sports, The Sims. EA doesn't make non-online, non-service games anymore. I don't even know how that Respawn game got off the ground or how much longer it has left. I think the failure of BFII's loot boxes threw the whole Star Wars deal into disarray because EA doesn't know what it can get away with anymore.

And part of it probably is Disney wanting to strictly control what gets added to the lore. Now that Star Wars movies are being made again they care about what other products get released under the IP, making sure they only had to keep an eye on one game company made sense. EA probably had the deepest pockets, but that was because of a style of game making that doesn't really fit with how Disney is running its movies. Sure Disney is kinda the EA of movies right now but its business is still built around selling singular stories with beginnings, middles, and endings (well, in the fundamental sense anyway).

Right now I feel like the most ideal thing would've been for Disney to have people who "get games" enough to know which developers to talk to for which kinds of products.

crimsonlink

Oct 29, 2017
Since EA is so good at cancelling Star Wars games, can they cancel their contract and move on?

I'm dying for a good series into the Rouge Squadron and they are holding up the line.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No idea how they plan on turning around a project in less than two years. Even something "smaller" has to be pretty ambitious to meet fan expectations. (and smaller somehow didn't cut it for Visceral's game?)

Absolute shithouse.
They were never making any game in an effort to satisfy fan expectations. Teams of that size could certainly put out something smaller in less than two years. Especially when they have plenty of existing resources they can repurpose.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
It's such a lose-lose-lose-lose situation. Disney, EA, more capable devs, and fans are all losing thanks to EA over-promising and under-delivering. I hope Disney has the brains to take Star Wars elsewhere.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
It'd be nice if Disney could get out of this deal and just do what they're doing with the various Marvel games. Just give talented studios or publishers the ability to make a game if they're willing. That's how we got Spidey, UA3 and that potential SE Avengers game so far, it'd be cool if they did the same with Star Wars.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. High Moon studious made the Transformers games so amazing. Well War and Fall for cybertron that is... I can see them working on Star Wars.

In today's video game industry, that type of business model is ancient history. A lot of High Moon got laid off after Deadpool, but maybe the remnants are free with the Destiny changeup.

The only thing EA could do right now that'd give me more faith is let Josef Fares make a Star Wars game

...what if that's what's happening? lol

A Way Out was EA's biggest success story of the year in relation to expectations.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if Disney could get out of this deal and just do what they're doing with the various Marvel games. Just give talented studios or publishers the ability to make a game if they're willing. That's how we got Spidey, UA3 and that potential SE Avengers game so far, it'd be cool if they did the same with Star Wars.
Conspiracy time: Disney did that with Marvel games because they saw the deal with EA didn't went as satisfactory as envisioned.

ZevLoveX

Jul 8, 2018
Does anyone know when the exclusivity contract expires?

I hope Disney doesn't renew. I really want a good single player Star Wars game and its clear EA will never deliver.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Disney would likely not allow a KOTOR remaster.
TOR is still ongoing, for whatever that's worth. But the more I think about it, the more I doubt they'll trust a modern audience with all those dice rolls and shit. The only palatable option is a straight-up remake, and now we're beyond scope.

I don't know. Maybe the answer is Battlefront III. Maybe they find another (third) way to hack these assets together into something serviceable. Just not Uncharted. And not open-world.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TOR is still ongoing, for whatever that's worth. But the more I think about it, the more I doubt they'll trust a modern audience with all those dice rolls and shit. The only palatable option is a straight-up remake, and now we're beyond scope.

I don't know. Maybe the answer is Battlefront III. Maybe they find another (third) way to hack these assets together into something serviceable. Just not Uncharted. And not open-world.

TOR is only still active because it still has an active subscriber base and brings in revenue, it's very much not canon to the lore. Disney has made it very clear that any pre Episode I material is going to come from them first.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
How could the material be inconsistent when they were never a cohesive canon?
Exactly the problem.

And, who cares about the good-bad ratio when the good includes some of the greatest games ever made?
They're aiming for everything to just be good. Not the fire and forget people will buy cause it's SW mantra of the past. That's the reason why so many old SW games were forgettable as there was a metric fuckton of mediocre ones.

As to BFII, nah it had an interesting premise and that was it. The actual writing was downright terrible and it had no cohesive story, it was just a greatest hits of the SW universe with new insert characters. Oh hey, Isen Versio once helped Leia on Naboo. Oh hey, shet helped Han Solo on Taikodana. Oh, she fought in Cloud City, neato.
Yet the game still manages to slow down and show her human side during cinematics. The progression of her character is absolutely clear to see on top of her going against typical conventions when it comes to women in games, (like being able to have a romance and age).