• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
"When EA's top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled it in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that's now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020"

Battlefront 3 confirmed...

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, makes sense.

5 years in and we got a mobile gacha game. A mediocre content starved Battlefront that they pushed out to go with the movie hype and another Battlefront, that should have had more stuff in it, a campaign that they hyped up and was intended to "make up" for not having one in BF1 but ended up being straight up dog shit. Oh, and caused a shitstorm so big with their Lootboxes, that i haven´t seen since the original XboxOne plans.
Killed off Viscerall for making a linear star wars game, gave whatever they made to vancouver, told them to reboot into a open world game, and then killed that game too. Because they need something soon lmao.

*slowclap* EA *slowclap*

Hopefully, when the contract runs out Disney doesn´t sell an exclusive license to one Publisher again.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
If Anthem becomes ridiculously success, I don't think there's any reason to build an expensive AAA game and pay the Star War tax for EA anymore. However, if Anthem fails, I think EA might pick the franchise back up.

esseesse

Oct 27, 2017
This is fucking ridiculous. The amount of mismanagement here has already crossed the mark for a wide margin. I like both Battlefronts but the output of 2 games in six years is just hilarious. They are so dumb to the point they are not even riding the movies demand waves. Disney, just license this shit otherwise gamers will be pissed at you soon as they were with the MT in BF2

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
"When EA's top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled it in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that's now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020"

Battlefront 3 confirmed...
Not even that... Star Wars Royale. They cancelled a game and fell back to "Star Wars, but it's open world!" because that's what was really in at the time. Now they've cancelled this one, and Battle Royale is what's in. You bet your ass they'd see the micro-transaction potential in that. But it's EA, so I'm sure they'll managed to screw it up somehow.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Dice - dark forces fps or a republic commando
Criterian - pod racing
Ghost games - xwing v tie fighter
BioWare - starwars republic
Maxis - a sims like game but on the death star
Respawn - force unleashed or Jedi knight style action game

So many possibilities yet all we have is 2 battlefront games and hopefully respawns title.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off EA.
I'd rather a Sony exclusive at this stage rather than nothing of note being done with the IP

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
That Visceral games project must have been in an even worse state than expected if they couldn't salvage enough of it for this.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Is there hope of any other company getting the SW license or is EA forever with it?

I feel like Disney should buy it back at one point, EA haven't been doing it any justice this gen, arguably last gen as well.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Open world Star Wars game sounded weird to me from the beginning. What does it even mean in the context of this franchise so focused on spaceships and large number of single-biome planets? Were we going to be grounded on a single world? Or was it some kind of repurposed Mass Effect style "open world"?
I would love a Jedi Academy style game with variety of different missions in different places of the galaxy, that player can take on in any order he wants. Not going to pay for a chance to win extra long golden light saber, thought, so maybe wait until Disney-EA deal expires.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What an overall mess.
Disney is def. going the Marvel route next time instead of betting everything on a single publisher.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
If Respawns game sells well and is well received, I can see EA going full force into Star Wars until 2023. They don't wanna lose that contract

There is no chance in hell that Disney will extend contract with EA after 2023. Most likely they will be giving individual licenses for games. That model of 1 big contract just doesn't work as shown by EA.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I guess everything is on Respawn now. Maybe after this, Star Wars will into the same games model as Marvel. This EA only deal clearly didn't work out.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I don't give a shit about Star Wars these days - the new Disney movies have made sure of that - but if I did then I would kinda see this as a good thing. The more that EA fumbles the IP and doesn't deliver on it, the more likely they'll be stripped of the licence for good once the contract is up.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's not really surprising to me, EA don't really make single player games anymore and they don't seem able to reconcile the SW brand with their MTX-focused business.

Hopefully when this deal expires Disney will allow different studios to use the license on a per-game basis, like the old days.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
I expected nothing (literally didn't know about this game) and I'm still disappointed.
There were quite a few enjoyable Star Wars games in the previous decade, and news like this really reminds you that there's basically nothing but Nu-Battlefront (not my thing) and... Lego Star Wars? (Decent games but also not my thing) in this one.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Yet Disney continues to turn a blind eye to the mess that EA has made of its Franchise...

Please Disney take the damn rights away from EA and go the Marvel route

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
What an absolute shitshow this whole deal is. 6 years already we only got 2 multiplayer shooters (i was at least a bit lookng forward to the campaign of BF2, but that turned out soo disappointing) and the only other thing announced is an fps. I hear that Titanfall 2's campaign was great, so maybe the shooter fans will get something good this year, but i'm not interested in shooters. 2 multiplayer shooters and another shooter, that's it.

Where the fuck is my big Star Wars RPG, where the big 3rd person Action Adventure game. The space sim? Strategy game?

People were disappointed back when the deal was announced, but no one could have expected a fuck up of these proportions. I hope especially now that Disney see's the dollars that Spiderman is making rolling in, they are realizing that something has to change.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Literally couldn't produce one half decent singleplayer Star Wars game after all this time. How hard can it be for a company with the resources of EA?
The thing is..........EA don't really like single player games anymore,they like games they can monetize.It's all about the $$$$$$$.If it was actually just about making a great game we would have had a few by now.

Dec 9, 2017
I wouldn't get my hopes up about EA losing that deal. The job that DICE has done presentation wise on those Battlefront games is good enough to get them lifetime contract. Also they sold 20M+ copies between the first 2 entries. If Respawn's game is basically TF2 campaign quality then that contract is getting re-upped without much of a fuss.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's messy and sad, but at least we got Battlefront 1+2 which are amazing. Looking forward to the Respawn game, too.

That said, never ever should one publisher have the exclusive rights to a franchise this big. It has to be licenced per game. And then Sony should make that X-Wing VR game we are all waiting for ASAP. Fingers crossed for PSVR2.

AlmaMater

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm not surprised. They just don't know what to do with this IP and they've shown it time and time again.

I'm interested to see what will happen with the Star Wars IP when their contract with disney runs out. I am waiting for good Star Wars games like KOTOR and they will come later rather than sooner.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was already canceled, lol.

2 mediocre Battlefront games is all EA has to show for SW on consoles/PC after all these years -- embarassing. This is such a diverse IP, and the only thing we got are shooters.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of funny the best thing EA have managed to release in this era is a 45 min "free" VR experience. (While also being one of the best experiences on PSVR)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Gee, quelle surprise. EA really doesn't care much for public image does it? You could make several perfectly fine smaller-scale Star Wars games with the money wasted on the last 2 AAA-attempts that people would love to play, but EA will have none of it. It's either everything or nothing.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Good! I have cancelled buying EA games about 2 years ago.

(We will never get a proper Singleplayer Star Wars game again, won't we?)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't help but laugh at the people circling over this like vultures hoping for Sony or Nintendo to nab up the license.

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
Who's stupid idea was it to give the Star Wars license to EA?
giphy.gif

TheManWhoSoldVG

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 30, 2018
This project was already doomed to be honest. EA handed a failed project from a previous studio to this studio to hope they can salvage it but clearly didnt work. Turning a Single Player Adventure into a GAAS Open World aint going to work in the first place. Anyways Disney is probably in talks with other developers and publishers to let them use the Star War licence EA contract probably dropped after BF2 Drama and other behind the scene stuff.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Lol late 2020 for the next Star Wars game? which is likely just BF2 with more content (aka free DLC content we were suppose to get before the project went haywire) & a Next gen release
Just think, since 2012 when Disney got the rights to Star Wars, we have only got BF1 & 2, both mediocre unfinished games, though great graphics, props to Dice artists.

Really have no idea why Lucas sold the rights to Disney, he could have just got Fox & Kathleen Kennedy to handle the Sequel trilogy & then shipped around the Star Wars IP to actual good publisher/devs, like Sony & Ubisoft, how great would a Sony Star Wars game be with the AAA quality of God of War? ah to dream...

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll laugh when Disney renews their contract with Electronic Incompetence. I'm not sure if Disney cares all that much, they'll get their money anyways.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a Sony internal studio to be given a shot at making a Star Wars game. Who though? Dunno. I wanna say GG, with Decima, but seems impossible.