• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Only read the first page of everyone blaming ea but is there no chance this isn't Disney deciding to not let anything of average quality out the door and EA is just not the company Disney thought they were in terms of quality?

Disney did shutdown a bunch of announced movies for Star Wars. That's pretty odd. These games keep getting canned. There is no saying that this doesn't turn into another game again.

Personally, I think stars should be pushing vr

yea and the battlefront 1 and 2 its obvious high quality games right !!!!??
i heard Disney didn't like what happened to the battlefront 2 strange they didn't cancel it if they have control in the projects as you said
but there are not the one who control it it's EA

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Cancelling or restructuring projects is not that uncommon to be fair. We just don't hear about it often because it mostly happens to unannounced projects.

Pretty much. Games and projects get canceled all the time. However, this is yet another self-inflicted wound because EA themselves announced that EA Vancouver was working on it before it was even a real game. If they'd just shut up about games that haven't hit the beta stage yet, they could avoid these PR nuisances.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
"When EA's top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled it in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that's now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020"

Decision makers at it again... -.-

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
EA is a train on fire falling off a cliff. Disney couldn't have made a worse choice of a partner to develop and publish Star Wars games.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
EA is a train on fire falling off a cliff. Disney couldn't have made a worse choice of a partner to develop and publish Star Wars games.

Disney is equally to blame for this. Game development is difficult enough and an overly protective IP holder telling the dev what they can and cant do probably multiplies the difficulty.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
So they canceled the SW game in favour of yet another Star Wars mobile game along with Battlefront 3 in 2020 to cash in before the license gets revoked.

Feb 10, 2018
I wouldn't have the energy or patience to constantly maintain my pod racer or clean my lightsaber.

Lol

2be303ad8ba014bb5ab39cc5d0c336de.jpg

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly the problem.

They're aiming for everything to just be good. Not the fire and forget people will buy cause it's SW mantra of the past. That's the reason why so many old SW games were forgettable as there was a metric fuckton of mediocre ones.

Yet the game still manages to slow down and show her human side during cinematics. The progression of her character is absolutely clear to see on top of her going against typical conventions when it comes to women in games, (like being able to have a romance and age).

Gonna have to disagree with all that. The "all canon" approach has not produced better media, only less media. Both Battlefronts were mediocre and one so mired in controversy it caused new laws to be passed in various countries. The books have bern real hit or miss with trash like " The Last Shot" and the same goes for the comics. Rebels was a let down after Clone Wars and Resistance is aimed for babies.

As for Iden Verso, idk what great character development you saw as she basically flips a switch and joins the rebels after your second mission. The story barely focuses on her as she's relegated to a cameo in a SW Greatest Hits campaign. And then at the very end the story remembers she had a father and a former squad mate as it seeks to resolve both plots that were never developed in the first place.

Just a terrible story and campaign.

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars doesn't make for good games.

There are a lot of takes in a 20 page thread like this, but this one on the first page called my attention.

I guess you are are console player?

Because one pc at least they had a golden streak of Star Wars games

Xwing and Tie Fighter are great classics of the space sim genre.
Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcasts are classic FPS, and Jedi Academy improved the saber combat even more.
Star War Racer was cool as hell.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
There has got to be some kind of clause in the EA/Disney contract that says they can strip the license from EA due to negligence or ineptitude. This is absolutely shameful from EA, for an IP this massive and as much money that EA is keeping Disney from earning they should be able to yank exclusivity.

I mean, I get it, games are hard. But making a Star Wars narrative TPS or a Star Wars open-world game are slam dunk no brainers and I would bet dollars to donuts that Ubisoft could crank out one of each within 2 years with a meta over 80

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
watch Respawns game get cancelled to "pivot the game design" so that players can come back and back again. Fucking christ this literally was the exact bullshit quote they used for Hennigs star wars game.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, people are shitting on EA and saying they can't make games... for canceling titles that were most likely subpar experiences?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guess we'll see BF3 at this year's E3 for 2020 release.
If I would be them and would need to get a new Star Wars game out by the end of 2020 (so less than 2 years), I would probably take the existing framework of the space battle mode in Battlefront 2 by Criterion and turn it into a full-fledged new Roque Squadron game.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Never had a name, never officially announced. As long as these folks keep their jobs, then nothing to be angry about. It does suck at the sole exclusivity but hopefully Disney lets all publishers and devs work with Star Wars in the future.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just now seeing this, wow. I'm floored at how poorly EA has handled the license. Back when the deal was announced I was actually pretty hopeful, given how many development resources EA had I figured they'd be able to produce a wide variety of Star Wars content.

Instead we've gotten two disappointing Battlefront games and a hell of a lot of cancellations and horror stories. I really think there shouldn't be one publisher in control of it.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I really don't like EA anymore...

Last gen they had great games like Dead Space but this gen, Titanfall 2 was the only EA title I played.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Instead we've gotten two disappointing Battlefront games and a hell of a lot of cancellations and horror stories. I really think there shouldn't be one publisher in control of it.

They cancelled one game and another SW is in development at the same studio + they have Respawn SW game coming this year.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
If I would be them and would need to get a new Star Wars game out by the end of 2020 (so less than 2 years), I would probably take the existing framework of the space battle mode in Battlefront 2 by Criterion and turn it into a full-fledged new Roque Squadron game.
They have all the assets and frameworks. They could do several games with it. Multi and Singleplayer.

Guess our best hope is that they put everything they have plus a lot of new stuff into Battlefront 3 and add a good progression system this time with a modern progression system that isn't pay to win. There are good examples out there, they just have to copy that.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Disney needs to alter this deal and I pray they alter even further. In all honesty, they should just license properties out on a per game basis, that way they aren't saddled with this bullshit. EA wants to keep on with Battlefront? fine. Sony and Nintendo have their own ideas for a 1st party SW game? fine. MS wants to make a SW game to tie in with gamepass? fine. None of these properties should be tied to any one publishers, not Star Wars, not Marvel, not Disney Pixar.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly EA all we wanted was a decent single player story focused game.

Anyway, keep churning out those garbage Battlefield games instead.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Never had a name, never officially announced. As long as these folks keep their jobs, then nothing to be angry about. It does suck at the sole exclusivity but hopefully Disney lets all publishers and devs work with Star Wars in the future.

Exactly lol

Ubisoft killed their 2016 sci-fi game? 2 pages on ERA
EA kills a SW game? I HATE EA, 20 PAGES on ERA

Honestly EA all we wanted was a decent single player story focused game.

IT
IS
COMING THIS YEAR

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Makes you wonder if the folks at Bioware are trying to figure out how Bungie got away from Activision. Not the same thing, I know, since I don't think Activision owned any part of Bungie. Still, it would be a godsend if EA just cut them loose instead of killing them outright.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Dice - dark forces fps or a republic commando
Criterian - pod racing
Ghost games - xwing v tie fighter
BioWare - starwars republic
Maxis - a sims like game but on the death star
Respawn - force unleashed or Jedi knight style action game

So many possibilities yet all we have is 2 battlefront games and hopefully respawns title.

Maxis has been tortured by EA (didn't just die, it was murdered™) to the point the veterans all left together years ago (after Simcity 4 and after Spore), now what remains of that team is solely working on The Sims for years. At best they could make a Star Wars Sims mobile game or Star Wars themed furniture for The Sims 4

At Criterion they are working on a new game but we haven't heard much of them in a while, besides that recent botched remaster for Burnout Paradise, they are maybe in trouble, same with Respawn.

I don't know if you meant this as a joke but it's pretty much true at this point...........they don't really care about the artistic integrity of the medium at all anymore,just profits....very sad.

They stopped caring about making good games a while ago, they're very much only interested into making more money.

I'm actually surprised this strategy worked for the most part, i thought the bad word of mouth would have hurted sales of their games more.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of takes in a 20 page thread like this, but this one on the first page called my attention.

I guess you are are console player?

Because one pc at least they had a golden streak of Star Wars games

Xwing and Tie Fighter are great classics of the space sim genre.
Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcasts are classic FPS, and Jedi Academy improved the saber combat even more.
Star War Racer was cool as hell.
Don't forget Empire at War.

A lot of great Star Wars games made it to consoles too:
Knights of the Old Republic
The Sith Lords
LEGO Star Wars
Rogue Squadron
Rogue Leader
Starfighter
Jedi Starfighter
Pandemic's Battlefront games
Battle for Naboo
Republic Commando
and so on.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Lucasarts would have made a Star Wars Point 'n Click adventure. Oh well, a man can dream.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
EA fell really hard this generation. IDK things aren't looking good for their studios...I hope Bioware and Dice are able to go independent.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, people are shitting on EA and saying they can't make games... for canceling titles that were most likely subpar experiences?
How are you able to make that call?

It's way more likely that EA cancelled it because it was a single-player game with no possibility for microtransactions, DLC, etc.

Not to mention, I'd rather take an "ok" Star Wars single-player game than.....nothing.