• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
From Jason's article:

The trickier aspects of this Star Wars partnership have certainly rankled developers, which is another reason that fans haven't gotten what they've hoped. Back in 2017, one ex-Visceral developer described the Lucasfilm approval process to me in brutal fashion: "With Star Wars you could be talking months—potentially years… Oh, would [protagonist] Dodger really look like this? What would his weapon look like? Potentially years of that. Would he carry this? Would that really work in the Star Wars universe? With Uncharted, they can build any world they come up with, because it's their world. With Star Wars you have to have that back and forth… People think, 'Oh it must be so cool to work on Star Wars.' It actually kind of sucks."

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
You're all jumping to blame EA - for all we know it was Disney that canned it

you do realise that EA is a business and it doesn't just cancel games because it cant put loot boxes in or to annoy people at ERA, right?
I'm not so sure,they literally said they were cancelling the Amy Hennig game so they could make it GaaS,which kinda means loot box/microtransaction bullshit if you're EA,lol.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Disney needs to just go to Sony and let them make the games. If its anywhere near the quality of Spiderman everyone will be happy.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I mean if EA can get Jedi fallen order out this year, Disney will be ok with it.

Its mobile game (pun) has been strong with star wars so it isn't the end of the world.

2020 for next gen consoles confirmed??

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, totally forgot about that one. Yeah, I'm hoping LucasFilms is observing what Marvel is doing, and they implement that strategy going forward.

Marvel so far is only 1 for 3 not including their mobile games. SInce Marvel games was announced we have gotten

Guardians of the Galaxy
Marvel vs Capcom Infinte
Spider-man

upcoming that we know of we have Ultimate Alliance 3 and the Square-Enix Avengers title that's taking pretty long.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
EA statement: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ly-canceled-vancouver-studios-star-wars-title
There's been speculation overnight about one of our Star Wars projects. As a natural part of the creative process, the great work by our team in Vancouver continues and will evolve into future Star Wars content and games. We're fully committed to making more Star Wars games, we're very excited about Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order from Respawn, and we'll share more about our new projects when the time is right.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wise move, the real problem here is that EA announce their games way too soon (probably because of Disney, in this case).

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That EA statement is the best non-confirmation confirmation I've ever seen. They don't even attempt to deny the content of the article.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
So, according to the Kotaku article, Frostbite's issues when developing an open world game could have also factored in. It seems the engine simply doesn't work with that kind of games.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Literally the worst video game publisher. This company needs to go bankrupt and give the licenses to other worthy publishers. Haven't enjoyed anything from them in 2 generations...

EDIT: Actually, DA: I was decent and I loved ME1 and 2......

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Disney really should have just formed an internal committee, and taken pitches from pubs/devs interested in working with the license.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Release Elite: Dangerous with a SW skin, sell 20 million copies. Hire me EA.
You can even re-create the taxation of trade routes dispute from Episode 1, and expand on all the exciting bureaucracy at work scenes while you work through your 25th -haul X tonnes of ferrocrete- mission. Nothing screams fun, space adventure more than hauling cargo and half an hour fuel scoop expeditions...

20 million seller? Pff, why some people would call that a modest estimate for such an exciting game design.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Their incompetence is staggering, any major publisher could dump out even a 7/10 safe bet of a game every 2 years and they'd sell millions of copies

It's Star Wars, just barely need to try and people will buy it

Last edited:

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
You'mst'ves are acting like EA'll get their feelings hurt if we talk too badly about them. They're a big grown up corporation, they can handle it. I feel confident in saying there's been mismanagement of the IP all around, from Disney/Lucasart's dealings with EA, to EA's decisions and priorities with the games, to the way the individual studios were operating, and the work environments therein. Fuck ups all around, everybody gets a frowny face on their tests.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Their incompetence is staggering, any major publisher could dump out even a 7/10 safe bet of game every 2 years and they'd sell millions of copies

It's Star Wars, just barely need to try and people will buy it
EA doesnt want the usual million sellers. They wanted lootboxes in Starwars with a long stream of cash. They wanted to exploit the fans

Probably promised Disney the moon.

Deleted member 11926

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that Disney will learn from this and will license out Star Wars on a per-project basis after this whole thing with EA finally expires.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
EA are pretty much Konami if you generally prefer SP games at this point

All their sports games are shit tier gambling simulators and everything else is killed, cancelled, or has GaaS bullshit shoehorned into it

The Respawn Star Wars game is basically the last thing they have left, and if that is to be a SP linear game then it's surely got a damn good chance of being shitcanned anyway

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
There is so much that could be done with the license that could be good, or even great. Drop Star Wars assets into XCOM 2 or create an action-RPG like Dark Souls or Ashen. Pull a LOTR: the Third Age and just make a standard RPG or remake X-Wing or TIE Fighter. What is wrong with EA?

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
DxDJHGWWwAAd5YS.jpg:large

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
At this point they're better off pumping money back into SWTOR considering they haven't done a damn thing other than Battlefront for most of this contract.