• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

[Sigma]

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, they only just now realized they've been squandering the license on borrowed time and want to rush out a small game? Do they realize if they quit canceling shit they would have come out sooner. They've gone full circle. They canceled Amy Henning's game because it didn't have a bunch of online elements, so they expanded the scope to include online shit. Now, they're canceling this new, expanded shit to go back to a smaller game because its taking too long to make the expanded game.

Is that right?
Sounds like it to me.lol. To me this is maddening at this point.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure someone at Disney wants Star Wars games to be talked about the way Fortnite and Overwatch are.

People also don't want micro transactions in their Star Wars. And there's no way you're getting a AAA Star Wars game without a GAAS model.

(Licensed)Video games are not really money makers, guys. They are minuscule compared to actual toys. They're expensive to make and people freak out when they get monetized after purchase.

Can't expect EA to just pull a God of War out of their ass.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
TOR is only still active because it still has an active subscriber base and brings in revenue, it's very much not canon to the lore. Disney has made it very clear that any pre Episode I material is going to come from them first.
I got it, but it's clear TOR can exist in its own weird bubble of continuity. They can spin it and control the messaging early on: this is not canon, this is a remaster of something we know you like.

But I suspect they have other plans for KOTOR and the old-school RPG systems probably don't make sense in 2020.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure someone at Disney wants Star Wars games to be talked about the way Fortnite and Overwatch are.

With all the morbid skepticism around the movies , EA's moves sure as shit arent helping them. The IP's longevity to them is just as important as the revenue it brings and currently its being run through the ground.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
As a massive fan of Star Wars whose favorite games of all time include a number of Star Wars games this has been one of the most infuriating generations I have ever been witness to. Screw Disney for signing exclusive rights away to EA and screw EA for failing miserably to deliver a single desirable product out of one the most prolific, beloved, and content rich IPs in all of entertainement. My lack of faith in both parties is beyond disturbing it's depressing.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes things just don't come together

Best of luck to all involved, but it sounds like internally EA is handling it well.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Disney isn't losing. They get paid anyways
It's all about opportunity costs. Yes, Disney is getting paid for the license, but they were almost certainly going to make a % of the profits. If they went with another publisher, or didn't give an exclusive license they likely would have made more money.

Remember, corporations aren't just looking to make a profit, they are looking to make the absolute most profit they can in the shortest amount of time.

Jan 4, 2018
- KOTOR (2003)
- Rogue Squadron II Rogue Leader (2002)
- Bounty Hunter (2002)
- Battlefront (2004)
- Jedi Knigh Jedi Academy (2003)
- KOTOR II (2005)
- Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike (2003)
- Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast (2002)
- Battlefront 2 (2005)
- Republic Commando (2005)
- The Clone Wars (2002)
- Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Jedi Starfighter (2002)
- Obi-wan (2002)
- Star Wars Racer Revenge (2002)
- The New Droid Army (2002)
- Star Wars Super Bombad Racing (2001)
- Star Wars Galaxies (2003)
- LEGO Star Wars (2005)

The Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 era was pure heaven for Star Wars fans.

Last edited:

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil

They want? If they actually wanted that, than they probably would prefer to sign a deal with Epic games to make a promotion, or even a smaller but competent studio like, let's see, Obsidian, to make a game. Hell, even Ubisoft with all their bullshit could have bring something better on the table than a clone of Battlefield fulled with microtransactions.

Expect that a Star Wars game could have been as big as Fortnite is to disconsider why Fortnite has made success. Or how Blizzard, with their stupid merge, are slowly losing their identity to be as equal as Activision and losing everything that made the studio to be loved by the fans since always.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then I'd be there day one. Loved A Way Out and would be interested to see what Josef could do with the IP.

I had a great time playing it with a friend myself. Extremely doubtful they would do such a thing, but at least we already know he's working on something bigger.

Though honestly, that's what they should have been doing. Big game every 2.5 years, 1-2 smaller studio releases in-between.

- KOTOR (2003)
- Bounty Hunter (2002)
- Battlefront (2004)
- KOTOR II (2005)
- Battlefront 2 (2005)
- The Clone Wars (2002)
- Obi-wan (2002)

And every other era over the decades we've had Star Wars games has been either completely forgettable or full of mostly poor imitations of other games. That period was the outlier for sure. It also had Galaxies, which had tons of potential before they caved to the instant popularity of World of Warcraft and alienated the population and foundation they had in place.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
- KOTOR (2003)
- Bounty Hunter (2002)
- Battlefront (2004)
- KOTOR II (2005)
- Battlefront 2 (2005)
- The Clone Wars (2002)
- Obi-wan (2002)
- The New Droid Army (2002)
- Star Wars Super Bombad Racing (2001)
- Star Wars Galaxies (2003)

Back when games could still be made within a reasonable time and budget. Any one of those projects today represents tens of millions invested over at least three years of development. Factor 5 made Rogue Squadron II in less than twelve months.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all about opportunity costs. Yes, Disney is getting paid for the license, but they were almost certainly going to make a % of the profits. If they went with another publisher, or didn't give an exclusive license they likely would have made more money.

Remember, corporations aren't just looking to make a profit, they are looking to make the absolute most profit they can in the shortest amount of time.

There's really no telling (unless someone has references) what their licensing agreement looks like. The mobile Star Wars games are doing fine.

We don't know if EA paid a flat fee for the license and a percentage of revenue off of every game. It could be structured that way. But licensing deals are usually set up in ways that benefits the licensor regardless of whether the licensee makes a buttload of money off the license anyways. The thing is, Disney probably made more fr the exclusivity part than they do the license royalties. And who else is going to outbid EA when the license is up for renewal? If EA is continuing to be willing to pay for it then why wouldn't Disney take that money?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
280g07g5l6pz.jpg

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
So They cancelled the big project to release a smaller project in time for next gen launch. I wonder if any of the big two are money-hatting it, and maybe exclusive. This is the period where both will money hat exclusives from big companies, less so as base grows.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Sitting on hundreds of million of dollars and they fuck it up.

Disney is going to be pissed.

Ubisoft could have done such a fantastic job with the IP.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Lol I would be surprised if Disney isn't having some internal discussions now about the possibility of taking the rights away from EA.

Holy Christ how hard is it to put out some dumb ass Star Wars games?

Jun 13, 2018
We've had a steady stream of Star Wars content for years since the LucasFilm acquisition in comics, books and other medium, along with the yearly movies, which on the whole have been great. But just TWO games (not counting Disney Infinity 3.0 or Lego TFA)! They haven't even been keeping up with rereleasing the classic SW games

As I understand it, there's a clause in Disney's contract with EA that allows them to revoke the exclusivity rights if certain requirements aren't met. I have imagine they're looking to take advantage of that about now.

Also, mark my words, Jedi Fallen Order is NOT coming out in 2019 (if it even makes it out of the EA massacre alive). A stumbly-bumbly announcement at EA Play and not even so much as a logo since then.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This 10 year contract is going to expire and all we will have to show for it will be two content-starved and buggy Battlefront games lmfao

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should give it to either Take Two, Bethesda, or bring back Lucas Arts at this point. I'd even argue they should allow the big 3 to fund a multiplatform release via a 3rd party developer.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
"We're cancelling all the work you did because we need to shove something out faster" must be greeeeaaaaat for morale.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Warriors Orochi 4, but from what I've seen the fanbase kind of treats it like the worst one. And it does have a season pass and separate microtransactions for a substantial amount of content that used to be included in the base game. That's probably one of the reasons it's gotten that hate.

Those other collaborations are also with Nintendo properties, whereas I can't see Disney being on-board with such a formulaic, confined experience so to speak.
No, it's not the DLC at all. It's just that as modes go, there isn't much to do outside of the story missions. The game is pretty light on modes compared to Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
There should be like 6 mid tier console Star Wars games out by this point in the deal. EA is huge. How are they not allocating resources to this outside of like 2-3 mega projects? The amount of money being left on the table is mind boggling.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battlefront II really put EA in a bad spot, I bet they (Disney) want to wait to see how well Respawn's Star Wars game does before any more games get greenliit. Amy Hennig saw the writing on the wall early and left.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will not be the 1st time EA did respawn dirty though...

True but they didn't own them yet. Nearly half a billion invested and following multiple controversies and disappointments from other releases, it's a different story.

No, it's not the DLC at all. It's just that as modes go, there isn't much to do outside of the story missions. The game is pretty light on modes compared to Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate.

When one of those modes is DLC, it is at least partly about the DLC, at least from where I've been reading fans speaking their minds.

The best looking weapons and best performing sacred treasures are DLC, so again, yes, it is the DLC too.

But this isn't meant to be a thread about Orochi, so let me make it clear again that I like the game and I did buy the season pass. However, for me to find out later that there was still plenty of additional DLC was disappointing to say the least.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
There should be like 6 mid tier console Star Wars games out by this point in the deal. EA is huge. How are they not allocating resources to this outside of like 2-3 mega projects? The amount of money being left on the table is mind boggling.

EA, and the industry at large, has been cutting back on small/mid range productions for a very long time. Rising standards for production values, rising expectations for content, and rising expenses per head have resulted in a focus on a smaller number of more reliable mega hits rather than taking the shotgun approach. EA produces far fewer games now than they did 10 years ago, but does not have fewer people working overall. Even "small" AAA productions like Wolfenstein 2 is hundreds of people working for 3.5 years. And that produced a 10-12 hour campaign and no multiplayer.

Imagine the memes if they assigned <90 people to a project for 2 years and you got a decent but rather janky experience like we got in the early-mid 2000s.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wendell-Pierce-Shaking-My-Head.gif

Just tear up the damn contract already at this point.

Two (non-mobile) games notorious for being castrated by design for the sole sake of generating even more money (even if they were still commercially-successful), two canned projects, and one dead studio are all EA has to show for what they've done with the property over the past few years.

Disney/LFL were complete idiots to give EA --of all publishers-- an exclusive license to the Star Wars IP. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same management that almost immediately nuked LucasArts and 1313 into oblivion once the Lucasfilm acquisition closed. And speaking of LucasArts, Disney when they were still in the publishing game were the absolute kings of putting cement shoes around the development studios they acquired....

Last edited:

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO just pissing away money at the point. I hope everyone on the team can land on their feet after they inevitably get fucked over by EA.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
EA, and the industry at large, has been cutting back on small/mid range productions for a very long time. Rising standards for production values, rising expectations for content, and rising expenses per head have resulted in a focus on a smaller number of more reliable mega hits rather than taking the shotgun approach. EA produces far fewer games now than they did 10 years ago, but does not have fewer people working overall. Even "small" AAA productions like Wolfenstein 2 is hundreds of people working for 3.5 years. And that produced a 10-12 hour campaign and no multiplayer.
I mean I understand all of that, I know how modern AAA game development works, but that way of doing things sure as hell isn't working here. EA needs to learn how to be more flexible and open to different approaches when it comes to something like this. Give a few smaller teams a go while you're working on the primary blockbuster games. They obviously are having serious issues managing large Star Wars projects.

I don't think there's a reasonable excuse for grand total of a 2 Star Wars games for the same FPS franchise in 6 years. It's Star Wars. It's a lucrative IP that is expected to make money. I don't think this Disney could possibly be happy with this.

Last edited:

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking astounding how EA has been able to take what should have been the biggest licensing slam-dunk of all time---the exclusive rights to post-Lucas Star Wars---and turn it into a flaming heap of high-profile cancellations and government investigations. I'm sure there must be loads of super-talented people working there, but none of those people can possibly be the ones making the big decisions. Why is everything that EA touches this generation turning to shit?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Back when games could still be made within a reasonable time and budget. Any one of those projects today represents tens of millions invested over at least three years of development. Factor 5 made Rogue Squadron II in less than twelve months.

And yet its one of the best looking games ever made to this day and was a launch title for gamecube. Why should its development cycle matter when it was a defining product?

Its obvious this industry has no meaning of AA budget games anymore. Especially when everything has to be squeezed for cash.