• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
EA owns the Star Wars license and has Bioware as an exclusive developer and yet we cant get a solid open world Star Wars game...instead we are getting Anthem...I am sad.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This has now made me extremely sour on even giving anthem a chance.. ffs im mad at the sheer incompetence.

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like EA is trying to get a thing or two out before the deal expires in 2023 (that is if Disney doesn't have an earlier option to break the contract).

Disney would be better off pumping money into LucasArts, buying a few developers (both big and small) and get serious about the game business. I did hear some time back that it was on their roadmap, but if it still is, it will have to wait until they balance their sheets from the 21CF acquisition.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Curse is the first word I thought of. Every EA star Wars project apart from the first Battlefront (relatively speaking) has been a disaster for those working on them.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Disney killed Lucasarts for this deal

In turn, EA has killed the Visceral project with Jade Raymond and Amy Hennig and shut down the studio in turn to make a open world game which after the early stages, got canned because EA needed a game out for 2020.

And in the 2 games that did come out, one was just ok and didn't set the world on fire despite coming out around TFA and the other one is now the reason lootboxes are now in the forefront of countries governments.

In a alternate timeline, we would have got 1313 by now.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BlissfulCleanGuineapig-small.gif

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Derogatory language
This is what happens when you don't have auteur vision holders and let beancounters make all the decisions. EA is dumpster fire just like Actard.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
EA's really dropping the ball with a license that seems like it should be a guaranteed slam dunk...

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
What a waste.

At least we still have the Respawn Star Wars game. I still have faith that one will be good, as long as EA doesn't cancel that one too :/

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
That's disappointing to say the least... Can't wait for EA's shareholders to give them shit when their rushed 2020 game bombs.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars is played out, pump some of that wasted Star Wars money into Warhammer 40K or Dune games! Make something that feels fresh and don't try to drop 100 stormtroopers from Star Destroyers and floss about the ground until the lootbox pops!

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
It really is amazing that they can't make a great game from this source material, much less a competent one. The music, the force, the lightsabers, the vehicles, the sound effects, the lore - it should be a slam dunk.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I feel bad for people working at EA thinking they are gonna make some awesome Star Wars games.

The only thing you'll be making is Battlefront II's DLC which hardly anyone plays anymore.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Giving the license to EA is perhaps the stupidest thing Disney have done so far, now the pressure is on respawn and they'll probably rush them to release their game, again.
Fuck this literally ruined my day.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it had to be a developer exclusive contract I'd rather have ubisoft handle it.

EA is really fucking up beyond belief.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ EA. You've put out 2 games and cancelled 2 already in the same span of time.

I'd be furious if I was Disney. THIS was the partner to guarantee quality SW titles on consoles/PC? For 10 YEARS??

And keep in mind..of the released titles, Battlefront was the only good thing that came out (the criticism aside, it sold like hotcakes and looks/sounds darn authentic) and the sequel spawned a massive shitstorm and has helped build cases towards lootbox regulation.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Is this the fallen order game? Or this one was another one? I'm confused. What is happening with the big cats in the game industry? Activision/Blizzard and now EA?

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
At this point, it's abvious that EA doesn't have a leadership with a vision. They are just so obsessed with pleasing shareholders to the point that games either need to be a cash cow AND BRING IN tons of cash, or it dies. It doesn't matter if they have already spent millions on the game. The moment any hint of lack of huge success, they can the project. They don't experiment and are not interested in waiting and seeing how the games will preform. They are push heavily to implement micro transactions in the worst way possible. I think that Disney pulling their license agreement is justified. It was foolish to give it to EA to begin with. Sony should be licensed to take it IMO.

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
At this point, it's abvious that EA doesn't have a leadership with a vision. They are just so obsessed with pleasing shareholders to the point that games either need to be a cash cow AND BRING IN tons of cash, or it dies. It doesn't matter if they have already spent millions on the game. The moment any hint of lack of huge success, they can the project. They don't experiment and are not interested in waiting and seeing how the games will preform. They are push heavily to implement micro transactions in the worst way possible. I think that Disney pulling their license agreement is justified. It was foolish to give it to EA to begin with. Sony should be licensed to take it IMO.

that would be extremely dumb to give it to sony. they want their games on as many platforms as possible.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
They probably couldn't work out how to turn it into a microtransaction-stuffed battle royale game so they ditched it.

Seriously, Disney must be pretty furious. EA went into this deal, got several projects cooking and now almost all of them have bombed. Give the licence to someone who cares about making good games, not to someone who only cares about dollar signs and share prices.

that would be extremely dumb to give it to sony. they want their games on as many platforms as possible.
It wasn't dumb giving Sony Spiderman. They gave them that because they knew they'd get a bloody high quality game out of it.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars should have been given to multiple Publishers. EA is the one who said single player games are dead. SO why were they even given the License for those kind of games? They could have given EA the license for Shooters like Battlefront etc. Gone to like Ubisoft or another for Action Adventure games etc.

Star Wars is massive enough to be spread out.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I've got it - EA cancelled Orca because they needed a game to launch on the next gen consoles. It's going to be Rogue Squadron.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
We don't even know how many of these got past a concept phase. Just because they had logos mean little. The only real major cancellation that we really know of is the cancelled BF3

And KOTOR3, Galactic Commando, Star Wars 1313, First Assault, The Darth Maul Wii Game, Rouge Squadron Trilogy, and the list goes on. LucasArts was horrible with their finished projects for many years before their closure, let's not rewrite history that they were doing _any_ better than EA is now.