• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Only read the first page of everyone blaming ea but is there no chance this isn't Disney deciding to not let anything of average quality out the door and EA is just not the company Disney thought they were in terms of quality?

Disney did shutdown a bunch of announced movies for Star Wars. That's pretty odd. These games keep getting canned. There is no saying that this doesn't turn into another game again.

Personally, I think stars should be pushing vr

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I had forgotten that this was a thing.

Next thing I expect from EA is the cancellation of Fallen Order one day before it comes out, followed by the shadow drop of Teras Kasi Remastered . For mobile.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We have had more Star Wars movies since this deal than Star Wars games.

What the actual fuck.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You would've thought EA would be shitting Star Wars game nonstop since signing the deal but hardly any Star Wars games have been released on consoles

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Just give SW to Nintendo and we can have Luke, Yoda and Vader show up on future Smash Bros, which would result in 2 games over 10 years, same track record as EA but much more fun games :)

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The fact that my first reaction to the headline was "Thank god" probably says everything about that awful EA deal. Just cancel it already, Disney, this company keeps not delivering on their side of the contract. Give it to Ubisoft or something.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wendell-Pierce-Shaking-My-Head.gif

Just tear up the damn contract already at this point.

Two (non-mobile) games notorious for being castrated by design for the sole sake of generating even more money (even if they were still commercially-successful), two canned projects, and one dead studio are all EA has to show for what they've done with the property over the past few years.

Disney/LFL were complete idiots to give EA --of all publishers-- an exclusive license to the Star Wars IP. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same management that almost immediately nuked LucasArts and 1313 into oblivion once the Lucasfilm acquisition closed. And speaking of LucasArts, Disney when they were still in the publishing game were the absolute kings of putting cement shoes around the development studios they acquired....
LucasArts was already a hollow shell of their former selves by that time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Only read the first page of everyone blaming ea but is there no chance this isn't Disney deciding to not let anything of average quality out the door and EA is just not the company Disney thought they were in terms of quality?
EA specifically called out the Visceral Games game as being a single-player story-based game as the reason they canceled it, rather than a multiplayer "game as a service" game users would come back to year after year. Insiders reported meetings where EA execs asked developers how this game could earn them a billion dollars like their big lootbox games.

Doesn't seem like the problem was Disney in that case at least.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EA isn't in any way flexible enough to react to a changing market fast enough to hold onto such a big license as Star Wars exclusively.

We didn't get any good remasters so far because EA didn't have the ip long enough and doesn't have the manpower. On top they didn't like remasters for the longest time.

We won't get a Switch Star Wars game, because EA isn't interested in throwing their full power behind the platform.

This is pretty much a worst case scenario for Disney. They made the deal so they would be guaranteed a steady output of high quality games without having to worry about the licensing. They got none of that.
At the same time, they are able to witness what a properly managed ip can do. One of their own ips! Meanwhile there is a new very successful system that is driving by without getting any sale out of Star Wars, even if the overlap would have been perfect for a broad audience.

Hopefully they'll cut the exclusivety deal short for EA. No reason to cancel the remaining games in development, but they need to open the license back up again.
A few remasters and games by aspiring developers and the ip could be on the upswing again. Not only with EA though.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Heres hoping that Disney backs out of the deal and finds a more competent company for the games.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Disney killed Lucasarts for this deal

In turn, EA has killed the Visceral project with Jade Raymond and Amy Hennig and shut down the studio in turn to make a open world game which after the early stages, got canned because EA needed a game out for 2020.

And in the 2 games that did come out, one was just ok and didn't set the world on fire despite coming out around TFA and the other one is now the reason lootboxes are now in the forefront of countries governments.

In a alternate timeline, we would have got 1313 by now.
1313 probably would've been GOTG material judging by the original trailer. It was the most hyped I'd probably ever been for a game, that and Watch Dogs.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's clearly obvious that the developers at EA were so disillusioned with The Last Jedi that they quit and couldn't finish this game. Thanks Rian.

KenobiLTS

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
We'd get one game in 6 years, but it'd score a 97 MC and yet no one would understand why because the controls were shit.
So that's why people love their games? That's why they sell milions copies? All the reviewers are wrong but you're right. Ok
You can't spread hate for Rockstar that easy mate, they're popular, they actually make what people want. You can hate them for Online stuff, but their single player games? No way.
A Star Wars game by Rockstar would be legendary, but never gonna happen.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If they're not cancelling studios, they're cancelling games

EA continue to be the absolute worst

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Fuck Disney for selling the Star Wars rights to those assholes in the first place. There are plenty of great publishers out there with teams who could do justice to the Star Wars IP and they had to choose those creatively bankrupt turds? Nice work Iger you cunt.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
So that's why people love their games? That's why they sell milions copies? All the reviewers are wrong but you're right. Ok
You can't spread hate for Rockstar that easy mate, they're popular, they actually make what people want. You can hate them for Online stuff, but their single player games? No way.
A Star Wars game by Rockstar would be legendary, but never gonna happen.
Eh, I'm glad they don't make Star Wars games. If they were making one I'd never get my Wild West or GTA fix because they already take so long lol. If they venture off the Red Dead/GTA/(Bully?) path I'd rather them do a new IP. A R* pirate game is literally my dream.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I bet Disney doesn't even care that these games keep getting cancelled or rebooted. And that studios get shuttered or restructured because of these games. EA probably already paid the hundreds of millions of dollars that it cost for the license rights. And each game would just be another thing for Disney to have to account for in their precious canon.

People hoping for the license getting revoked are in for disappointment.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying they should have given the licensing deal to a different publisher. Who exactly? Ubisoft seems content working on their own IP. Activision has like 5 studios working on nothing but Call Of Duty. All of Sony's development teams are busy making their own games. I would much rather have had Spider-Man and the new game Suckerpunch is making than them being forced to make a Star-Wars game. EA seemed like the perfect publisher to take it on with some of the studies they own.

Hopefully Respawns Star-Wars game will be awesome.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
EA sits on Star Wars license, does not release interesting looking game. Yup. That sounds about right.

It's kind of weird to see Warhammer 40k be more game relevant than Star Wars.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying they should have given the licensing deal to a different publisher. Who exactly? Ubisoft seems content working on their own IP. Activision has like 5 studios working on nothing but Call Of Duty. All of Sony's development teams are busy making their own games. I would much rather have had Spider-Man and the new game Suckerpunch is making than them being forced to make a Star-Wars game. EA seemed like the perfect publisher to take it on with some of the studies they own.

Hopefully Respawns Star-Wars game will be awesome.
Microsoft's new studio

Just kidding it shouldn't go to either ms or Sony. Whoever thinks it does it a bad person. Star Wars should be for all!

Disney should license it out per game for studios that have interesting ideas and obviously not to conflict each other (ie all ideas being FPS games etc)

If respawn can give me an Star Wars FPS like titanfall 2 then all is forgiven as Jedi Knight is one of my fave games of all time and not everything needs to be open world

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Just rip the band aid off Disney, EA have clearly shown time and time again they can't be trusted with this franchise.

They've clearly learnt from this mistake though as they're handing out their Marvel projects to individual studios.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The sad thing about this whole thing is it shows EAs studios actually want to make a good single player game. And yet the leads do not care and cancel them...
Hopefully disney finishes this contract as soon as possible and tries what they did with spiderman for next gen and not contract for a set amount of years and instead contract for 1 game at a time and only with proven developers.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
EA continues to be a shit company, what a surprise...

Disney should really just revoke the license, this is getting absurd now. The only thing we got are 2 average shooters and it's been how long since they got the license?

Fuck EA.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
In a perfect world, EA/Disney probably expected something like this:

2013: 10 Year Contract Begins
2014: EA Star Wars Hype aka the concept trailers
2015: Battlefront
2016: The Old Republic Expansions
2017: Battlefront II
2018: Visceral's Star Wars
2019: Respawn's Star Wars
2020: Battlefront III
2021: Bioware's Star Wars?
2022: Visceral's Star Wars Sequel?
2023: Ghost/Criterion's Star Wars?

Obviously I'm assuming on the last couple and I'm willing to believe if everything had gone according to plan and these games were good, Disney would have most likely extended the licensed to allow for sequels and more games. Its probably the only reason I can think of as to why Disney would give the license to EA. I mean if you showed me this roadmap for future Star Wars games back in 2013, I would have been extremely excited. Oh well, EA just had to be greedy.