• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The process of finding games on Steam has become increasingly driven by a tag system. Mouse over, say, Sekiro on Steam's front page, and you'll see descriptor tags like "Souls-like," "Difficult," and "Action." Click on one of those tags, and you'll be taken to a hub page for that game category. But that's just the beginning. Steam's algorithmic recommendations are often tag-based, meaning that users' ability to discover new games is, in part, tied to those tags. For these reasons, some Steam users and game developers have taken issue with the fact that, for years, Steam hasn't had an official LGBTQ+ tag. Yesterday, that finally changed, with Valve adding an approved LGBTQ+ tag after a developer once again shined a light on the issue.

Sauce

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Please put it on games that features minor LGBT+ characters so that assholes ban without knowing lots of big games they want

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please put it on games that features minor LGBT+ characters so that assholes ban without knowing lots of big games they want
While it would be hilarious to see shitters unwilling blocking games like TW3 or AC from their view, stuff like this would really hurt the visibility of LGBT-focused games.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, forgive me if I don't think exactly trust this move from Valve here. They banned an LGBT VN with no explicit content THIS WEEK.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Isn't this reintroducing the tag? I seem to remember you being able to search for LGBT-related tags in the past and then Valve went out of their way to remove them. I'm not imagining that right?

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I actually thought that was already a thing for a while now.

Better late than never I guess.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have to see if gets used properly or not.

Yeah, forgive me if I don't think exactly trust this move from Valve here. They banned an LGBT VN with no explicit content THIS WEEK.
Surely you're not talking about the one that describes itself as "Subtle love-like feelings between girls" and "Just watching cute girls having fun" about little schoolgirls?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
We'll have to see if gets used properly or not.

Surely you're not talking about the one that describes itself as "Subtle love-like feelings between girls" and "Just watching cute girls having fun" about little schoolgirls?

I'm sorry, but The Expression Amrilato is completely SFW and free of explicit content. Just because it has an "anime artstyle" doesn't mean it has any less merit as an LGBTQ+ work.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
020.gif

Deleted member 57718

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies surrounding inclusivity and representation.
...How on earth is having a tag to signal-boost LGBTQ+ stories "segregation"? Despite Valve's shaky history with the LGBTQ+ community, your post makes 0 sense.

It just seems weird since you don't neccessarily have a hetero tag on games is all, I don't mean any offence by it, just my two cents. Maybe segregation was the wrong word.

I just find it weird that they have to be tagged at all. It seems like a trigger warning if that makes more sense.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It just seems weird since you don't neccessarily have a hetero tag on games is all, I don't mean any offence by it, just my two cents. Maybe segregation was the wrong word.

I just find it weird that they have to be tagged at all. It seems like a trigger warning if that makes more sense.
tags aint trigger warnings, they categorize

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You gotta be shitting me m8

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017

Being able to easily find games that contain characters you can identify with is "Trigger Warning"??

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not really. If a game has the tag "3D platformer" and I like 3D platformers, then that tells me to maybe have a look at it, see if it's up my alley. Same thing if a game has the tag "LGBTQ+" and I'm interested in games with LGBTQ+ characters or themes. This makes it easier for people interested in LGBTQ+ content to find it.

Is Steam the last to have an LGBTQ+ tag for it's store?
Most other digital game stores don't even have tags, do they?

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017

There's a lot going on in this post and none of is great.

Why is people being able to more easily find content they may identify with a trigger warning?

And what use would a hetero tag serve?

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Please don't tell me you believe we should have straight pride and "all lives matter" and such.
I want to believe the best in people.

Oct 25, 2017

It's an extremely useful tag for an audience who wants to find content that relates to their experiences. It is in no way a 'trigger warning' or segregation. Hetero content is so painfully ubiquitous that it doesn't need a tag generally.

Itch.io has had this tag for eons, as well as any number of more specific tags for the type of sexuality or gender representation found within the title.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
its not worth the energy worrying about shitheels using this to avoid LGBTQ+ tagged games, those fucks are already committed to that life, probably already have the tag "female protagonist" blocked as well

this is much more of a benefit in terms of LGBTQ+ game discoverability

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this reintroducing the tag? I seem to remember you being able to search for LGBT-related tags in the past and then Valve went out of their way to remove them. I'm not imagining that right?

This does reintroduce the tag.
When tagging was first introduced it was entirely driven by user input and LGBT was one of the tags that gotten added in the process.
Completely user-driven tagging went about as well as you'd imagine and Valve subsequently restricted tags to the top 100 most popular tags or so.
This of course excluded a bunch of useful but less popular tags, one of which was the LGBT tag.
That was in 2014.

Last year this removal was noticed by somebody who mistakenly thought it was a new development, causing a minor kerfuffle on this forum and elsewhere.

And now it seems like Valve has finally gotten around to re-introducing that tag along with a small number of other tags introduced over the last few months.

Last edited:

XSystem

Apr 1, 2019
It's somewhat unfathomable to me a tag like this gets added only now, but then again, Steam really doesn't have a good track record in this matter.
Better late than never, I may actually use it to find some interesting games.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
That's a pleasant surprise.

Now, Steam doesn't have a perfect record when it comes to deal with LGBT in general. Let's hope that this is a step in the right direction.
As for people who will try to use this to remove games or do bad publicity: there is the Streisand effect that could bite them in the ass.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I am all for it (obviously ;)) if it s used to improve marketing of games serious about representing the Joys and issues that are central to the story. That requires curation.

If it s allowed just to add a "gay" text in the character profile of an asset recycled shovelware just to get improved ranking... then it won t be good.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Wow this is certainly a post.
"Yikes" aside, I'm laughing at the idea of a hetero tag that literally contains like 99% of all games that exist, so useful!

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
"But why is there no hetero tag..." lmfao it's basically the assumed default, pick a game and chances are really good it'll have straight people in it. Might as well ask for a "contains characters" tag for all the use that has.

Don't have much faith that this won't be incorrectly applied to stuff by asshats. "Psychological horror" tag gets placed on anything that looks furry, "sexual content" tag gets used on anything that looks anime.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

I have been adding it before in some nice games where the LGBTQ+ part is very important, but was always unsure whether other people where doing it (and if so, what acronymn they were using). Seems enough people were using it that it became oficial :)

(and thats great for the devs that pushed for it :) )

Last edited:

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Weird to say 'finally' when I don't know that any other storefronts even have tags like these? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Deleted member 1055

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am all for it (obviously ;)) if it s used to improve marketing of games serious about representing the Joys and issues that are central to the story. That requires curation.

If it s allowed just to add a "gay" text in the character profile of an asset recycled shovelware just to get improved ranking... then it won t be good.

You certainly sound like somebody who is all for it:

"I'm fine with an LGBT tag as long as it meets this very high standard that I just pulled out a hat, a standard that conveniently only applies to that tag."

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
You certainly sound like somebody who is all for it:

"I'm fine with an LGBT tag as long as it meets this very high standard that I just pulled out a hat, a standard that conveniently only applies to that tag."
I think they're questioning the application, not the existence.

These tags are applied by users, after all. I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't trust Steam users to do the right thing here.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're questioning the application, not the existence.

These tags are applied by users, after all. I don't know about you, but I really wouldn't trust Steam users to do the right thing here.
Devs hape extra power for tags.

They can remove them
Removing tags
As the developer of your game, you can remove any tag that users have applied that you don't think is accurate for your game.

and boost them
Order and weight of tags
You'll see the tags listed in a certain order. This is ordered by the amount of weight each tag has on your game, as a result of number of players applying that tag to your game. Also, when a developer applies a tag to a game, that tag is given extra weight so that you can have stronger influence over which tags are most relevant.