• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
kotaku.com

Pro Gamer Fired After Saying Men Under 5 ft 7 in 'Don't Have Human Rights' [Update]

The Tekken esports pro made the peculiar remarks during an Cyclops Athlete Gaming online stream

Professional Tekken player Tanukana has been booted from Osaka-based esports team Cyclops Athlete Gaming for remarks she made about men's heights during a livestream.
Cyclops Athlete Gaming competes in first-person shooters like PUBG, Call of Duty, and Rainbow Six Siege as well as fighting games like Tekken. She has been featured in the mainstream Japanese press, including this clip from newspaper Kobe Shimbun. She was, as Kotaku's Ian Walker previously wrote, a rising star.
In a February 15 stream, Tanukana said, "Men who are under 170 cm (5 ft 6.9 in) don't have human rights." She added they should look into getting bone-lengthening surgery. (According to Healthline, the average height for men in Japan is 170.8 cm or 5 ft 7.2 in.)

This looks excessive to be honest

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a clip of this? This sounds like something streaming culture would say as a joke. It's almost too ridiculous to take seriously lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Should probably mention the double meaning of human rights in the fighting game community, where 人権 (human rights, jinken) is used to talk about tools and abilities that are essential for characters to be competitive. She was probably trying to make a bad joke about that, but fucked it up.

Jan 2, 2018
User Banned (2 weeks): dismissing toxic masculinity
I mean it's obvious she was joking come on...maybe it's not in good taste, but clearly she wasn't ACTUALLY thinking that.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
That's a wild thing to say lmao

"It was pointed out to my that my stream contained hate speech." She added that this was not her intention and that she poorly expressed her love of tall people. She did apologize, but it was hardly the kind of formal apology that's become expected in Japan.

As a not tall dude but also not below her human rights limit, it is a bit excessive getting fired over this if she was saying in a joking manner, but the quote above makes it seem like she wasn't 🤔

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
As a member of the short men community, idk man sounds like she was making a joke lol

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
6'1 overlord checking in.

Seriously, though, dumb thing to say but surely she was being facetious? I probably wouldn't remove her for that, but it's not my team. And I can understand why anyone in the FGC wants to avoid controversy like the plague.

edit: garbage human confirmation? Carry on.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish i could be shocked by this, but if you ever been on Tinder, it appears that if you're not like 1m90 / 6"3, you're a sub human.

Still, it's garbage to say this.

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissing Concerns of Body Shaming
fragile boys eh

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Gamers…

Screen_Shot_2020-10-05_at_11.51.58_AM.jpg

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
damn she's about to get the most hatestorm and harassment of her whole life.

175cm here, so phew

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a joke about her preferences considering the human rights part.
I think making these jokes between friends is fine, but doing it publicly will cause insecure people to become outraged and not everybody will detect that its a joke even if its executed well(which i doubt it was).
If however, this is close to her actual view then yeah, yikes.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
It's a joke in a bad taste and imo stuff like that should be punishable in general. But I'm also pretty certain men wouldn't face such consequences for comparable remarks about women.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Men who are under 170 cm (5 ft 6.9 in) don't have human rights." She added they should look into getting bone-lengthening surgery.

This... is a pretty awful thing to say, I'm confused at the people taking it lightly in this thread.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
That's a wild thing to say lmao

As a not tall dude but also not below her human rights limit, it is a bit excessive getting fired over this if she was saying in a joking manner, but the quote above makes it seem like she wasn't 🤔

Well this puts a new light on it, still odd that she got a free pass for all that previous stuff, but shitting on not tall men was the last straw

Yeah that quote and her history makes it clear this wasn't a joke.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Racism/Transphobia/Homophobia all should have been last straws if true. Height shaming feels mild in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.