• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Why can't QA testers work from home?

Sign enough NDAs and I'm sure they wouldn't leak much.
Depends on the testing required. I use to volunteer as a QA tester for a company who would contract work from companies like EA and THQ. We primarily did network and bug testing for online multiplayer games. Some of the games tested were Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Medal of Honor, Crysis 2, Dead Space 2 and Homefront. I also remember testing Gaikai before Sony purchased them.

As I said, it was volunteer work. We were not paid but we received a free copy of the game if you were a somewhat active tester. In some cases (particularly with EA) we would receive multiple game keys. In the case of Bad Company 2 testing, the top testers (those who found and reported the most bugs) received gifts. I had a 9800 GTX graphics card sent to me as a top tester.

It was before my time with the company, but apparently they had tested EA Origin while it was in it's infancy. Those who tested the service were allowed to keep all the games they downloaded during the testing.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Im glad i didn't bought a Call Of Duty game in a while (not having the games on Switch is helping)

The worst part for me is the lunch thing. How is it only legal?

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
I hope developers are noticing this trend and change their practices at least slightly, before Jason gets to them, as its pretty much inevitable if enough people contact him he's going to create an article about the treatment.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
In Sweden you unlock 2 holiday days per month that you get to use the next fiscal year, so it could mean that you won't get paid holidays for X amount of months depending on when exactly you join a company.
Employees in Sweden have the right to take at least 25 days of holiday each year. In the first year, these are an advance. If you leave within five years, you have to pay them back.

The difference to the USA is still night and day. It is one of just 13 countries in the world that does not guarantee paid time off.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe once upon a time but QA is now such a super specialized and skilled role that no, you can't just replace them in a minute. They don't just sit and play the game, they have their hands just as dirty as anyone creating content and features in engine pushing everything to breaking point and beyond.

When I was in QA some... 20+ (yikes) years ago all you could do was have a build of the game and do what you could to break it, now QA work in-engine a lot of the time, testing things on a per-object basis rather than just per-level throughout the entirety of development. They're amazing and should be treated as an essential and integral part of development teams, treating them as disposable does them a disservice and only makes the end product worse in the end.
Sorry but this is still what QA is doing at larger companies no one in QA is touching anything in engine especially at cod studios MAYBE at some small studio where people to have multiple roles. But in general they run around report bugs they see either visual or gameplay related, test collision, they will run through the segments of gameplay over and over on different builds. They then take screenshots or videos of the bugs and write up the reports send them to their lead who send it back to the devs. The devs then go and fix whatever performance, gameplay, or art tasks that are called out as bugs depending on level of importance. It's nice to want to put QA on a pedestal but that's the reality of what they are doing at larger companies unfortunately the turn over is so large is because it's not a glamorous job and can be taught to people with no experience without issue.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Sorry but this is still what QA is doing at larger companies no one in QA is touching anything in engine especially at cod studios MAYBE at some small studio where people to have multiple roles. But in general they run around report bugs they see either visual or gameplay related, test collision, they will run through the segments of gameplay over and over on different builds. They then take screenshots or videos of the bugs and write up the reports send them to their lead who send it back to the devs. The devs then go and fix whatever performance, gameplay, or art tasks that are called out as bugs depending on level of importance. It's nice to want to put QA on a pedestal but that's the reality of what they are doing at larger companies unfortunately the turn over is so large is because it's not a glamorous job and can be taught to people with no experience without issue.

You are so wrong on that.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Crunch culture and the inhumane working conditions of developers and testers has been a known thing for probably well over a decade.

The question on my mind is what are we as gamers actually going to do about it?

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Is it not feasible to just extend development time a few months to try to reduce this crunch culture? Would the effects on financials be that devastating

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but that's capitalism for you. It's not healthy, nor sustainable in the long run. Every fucking dime matters to the shareholders.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
One Friday afternoon a few weeks ago, the developers at Treyarch held a happy hour event to welcome the summer interns. There was pizza, beer, and jubilation for everyone at the studio behind Call of Duty: Black Ops 4—except the quality assurance testers, who had to leave shortly after they got there.

"QA was told we were only allowed down at the party for a max of 20 minutes, and we 'really shouldn't drink anything' because we still had to work," said one tester. "It sucks, but honestly we're pretty used to getting these sort of 'rules' when they do any parties here."

It was a small affront, but it felt indicative of a bigger problem: At Treyarch, many contract employees, especially the testers, say they feel like second-class citizens. Testers work on the second floor of the office, while most of the other developers are on the first. Some testers say they're told not to speak to developers in other departments, and one told me they'll only do so surreptitiously, out of fear of getting fired. When they get to work, testers have to park their cars in a different parking lot than other employees, one that's further away from the office. When lunch is catered, testers are told that the food downstairs is for the development team, not for them. Sometimes, they're allowed to scrounge for leftovers an hour later, once the non-testing staff have gotten to eat.

Put another way: When I asked a non-tester at Treyarch about the party, they responded, "Surprised they were invited at all."
What the hell am I reading here. Is this real? I never really liked Treyarch as a CoD developer (prefer IW) but this is just shocking.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Crunch culture and the inhumane working conditions of developers and testers has been a known thing for probably well over a decade.

Nothing. Same as always. Crunch has been a factor in games for almost 40 years. Remember when RDR2 bombed due to gamers backlash against the repeated tales of crunch culture at Rockstar? No, I don't either. The biggest change regarding this was about 15 years ago with "EA Spouse" and similar tales from other companies, back when unpaid overtime was a lot more common. Now at least people are typically well compensated for it. This article e.g. mentions that some might not be able to afford to live in LA if not for the overtime comp.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. Same as always.
Well yes. The question was rhetorical. Far be it for egregious worker and psychological abuse to get in the way of a video game.
Now at least people are typically well compensated for it. This article e.g. mentions that some might not be able to afford to live in LA if not for the overtime comp.
I'm also not comfortable with the reality that living close to your job can only be had if you work a crapload of unhealthy overtime.

Oct 27, 2017

Understood it's rhetorical. Nothing. You see how testy people get when it comes to diversity in games, now imagine better conditions for workers pushing games back even further.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the aircon thing blows my mind

poor pay, crunch I get, capitalism without healthy regulation fucking sucks. at a massive games company with a huge turnover How are you going to leave your employees in risk of overheating though? how would basic fucking aircon or even a few fans or whatever not improve efficency

Nov 14, 2017
Believe me, I love Unions but there's no need for a QA union because they can be replaced in a minute.

Like if the NFL goes on strike they have no product because, I want to see Sam Darnold and Julio Jones play not some guys off the street.

We play so many games every year that get released no matter how poorly QA goes/get ignored like Fallout 76, Bloodstained, Anthem it has no impact. Especially if there are a few million other people kicking down that door. That's why QA is a temp entry level job.
OK, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. The thing is though, the games you listed are total dumpster fires that were widely mocked. I honestly think Bethesda and Bioware in particular are in deep trouble: I'm certainly not buying their next game during the release window. I think the majority of players who would normally be interested in games from those studios feel the same. It's a serious problem for them. FO76 is a key example - that game only sold a few million copies, whereas FO4 sold millions more and Skyrim was a billion dollar juggernaut. Skyrim was glitchy, but FO4 and FO76 were progressively worse and that has to have impacted the sales.

So, QA should unionise. If QA in a studio were to strike and the studio pressed ahead and released the game anyway, then they would see the cost of not having quality assurance.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
OK, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. The thing is though, the games you listed are total dumpster fires that were widely mocked. I honestly think Bethesda and Bioware in particular are in deep trouble: I'm certainly not buying their next game during the release window. I think the majority of players who would normally be interested in games from those studios feel the same. It's a serious problem for them. FO76 is a key example - that game only sold a few million copies, whereas FO4 sold millions more and Skyrim was a billion dollar juggernaut. Skyrim was glitchy, but FO4 and FO76 were progressively worse and that has to have impacted the sales.

So, QA should unionise. If QA in a studio were to strike and the studio pressed ahead and released the game anyway, then they would see the cost of not having quality assurance.

What would prevent the studio from contracting with a different agency that does not use unionized QA workers?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is nonsense.

There are tests who do that, yes. But that is not even the tip of the iceberg in terms of what QA does.

Thomas

Dec 11, 2017
Sweden
Employees in Sweden have the right to take at least 25 days of holiday each year. In the first year, these are an advance. If you leave within five years, you have to pay them back.

The difference to the USA is still night and day. It is one of just 13 countries in the world that does not guarantee paid time off.

You are always entitled to 25 days of vacation by law "semesterlagen", but the law only gives you the right to have vacation it does not give you the right to payed vacation. The money is regulated in the collective agreement. You earn ca 2 days of payed vacation per month that you can use the following year, to get 25 days of payed vacation the first year you must make an agreement with your employer.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
Again, I think most of this falls onto the contractor company, Volt. Reviews on glassdoor don't make it seem like a great company to work for and they are technically the ones responsible for the QA testers. When I had issues like AC (ours was left on overnight on full-blast and we froze our asses off for 10 hours straight overnight), I had to go to my lead. I didn't talk to the FTEs unless they talked to me first. Other companies had much better benefits as contractors. Frankly, I worked for an American defense contractor and my benefits and pay were significantly worse than those who worked for Indian companies.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
How one studio works is not how everybody works.

But what do I know.
Does that mean DICE treat it's QA testers good then?

OT: At least Treyarchs response is taking the problem head on, unlike Bioware. However, I doubt much will change since many of these issues are Volt's doing, and I don't think Treyarch has much say in that.

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
"The teams who created this game are diverse and widespread."

Seems this also includes people from a lower caste system 😖

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like an oversimplified generalization. I work at a big AAA studio and our QC is specialized, certain QC teams often work in engine (or other parts of a pipeline like 3DSMax), and do a tonne of really valuable work.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the treatment of contractors is common across numerous industries I'm hearing.

One thing I'm really glad for about Jason doing these is that it exposes the flaws in not just the gaming industry but wider business practices and the system as a whole.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the treatment of contractors is common across numerous industries I'm hearing.

One thing I'm really glad for about Jason doing these is that it exposes the flaws in not just the gaming industry but wider business practices and the system as a whole.

Yep. I worked as contract IT alongside full-time regular employees, kinda similar experiences. Not as absurd as being told I couldn't talk to the 'real' employees, but still fucked up in different ways.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
And now they are saying they will improve everything while there are these rumors about next year CoD being from Treyarch so that would mean super crunch for them...

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
And now they are saying they will improve everything while there are these rumors about next year CoD being from Treyarch so that would mean super crunch for them...
Activision's COD dev cycle is catching up to them. Black Ops 4's campaign, Call of Duty 2020 development turning into a mess, how much longer can they keep pushing their releases like this?

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
im so glad people are talking about this shit rn

jason schreier doing some pivotal work tbh

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I dealt with this kinda crap on multiple contracts, even the catered thing was something I saw when working on site at one studio in QA. We didn't get to forage for the scraps though xD

But there's free soda and bottled water!!! What a perk! /s

Sometimes during crunch staying for overtime certain companies would get the team pizza or Chipotle or something complimentary but that was about it.

QA work culture has been shit for a minute now and its nice seeing Jason shine more of a light on it.

The first couple contracts I was wide eyed and oblivious to the crummy conditions because I didn't know any better having a short work history at the time. They lure in gamers through the nostalgia trap and wowee I'm getting paid to play vidya! Once you go through crunch the first time and are still getting shit pay and no benefits you realize its a bunch of bs.

Oct 25, 2017
Read something like this, and then Treyarch puts out the massive update today which features
A new character... that unintentionally doesn't have footstep noise in it's BattleRoyale mode.

Jesus people treat the QA better.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Read something like this, and then Treyarch puts out the massive update today which features
A new character... that unintentionally doesn't have footstep noise in it's BattleRoyale mode.

You assume that's something the dev team and producers weren't always aware of, and decided it was acceptable to put out that way.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

It's gets worse when you realize that the character, Reaper, who was in BO3, had the exact same issue at launch of that game.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I worked as Volt as a tester contracted to EA. We were treated differently, but we were still treated decently ok. We were not allowed to use the gym by ourselves, but if an employee brought us it was ok. I didn't drive but we were allowed to park on site. They treated us decently well considering we were contractors.

It sucks for those contracted to Treyarch have it rougher than me as I worked in the mid to late 2000s in testing. What others have mentioned though is that contractors have to be treated differently. For example in Canada, if you are given tools to work, have to show up to the same location every day, have the same schedule day in, day out, you are getting close to having an argument that your contractors are actually employees and would need to be treated differently. Creating a haves and have-nots makes it an easy argument to argue that they are contractors and not employees. Again, HR rears its ugly head and serves to cause more misery.