• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's now taken as gospel that the future of a game isn't written in stone when it first comes out. Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege rebounded from a lackluster launch, hampered in large part by its grinding, fragmented progression system, into one of the most successful shooters on PC right now. No Man's Skyreleased bereft of a lot of the features players felt led to believe would be in the game, like multiplayer, only for last year's NEXT update to make feel like a new (and much better) game. Fortnite went from being a cooperative tower-defense shooter most people didn't care about to a battle royale sensation.

Master Chief Collection never made a similarly triumphant return, but it is a far better game than when it launched. In the four years since it debuted it's become one of the better examples of how it's never too late to get things right. Microsoft could have simply abandoned it in favor of people playing the old games through the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program but didn't. The collection is now arguably worth owning an Xbox One for, assuming you like Halo of course, and is now the basis for a series of big Halo 3 throwback tournaments taking place throughout 2019. It was a long time coming.

More at the link but it's all in all a very good read.

https://kotaku.com/the-master-chief-collection-is-what-happens-when-a-stud-1831925439

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't this game more or less half finished when it first released? it's a remaster/remake, it should've been complete from the start

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad that they did stick with it and try to fix it but it doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have released in the state it did in the first place. This is not something we need to see more of going forward. Fact of the matter is if you burn a lot of your fans who buy the game early they probably aren't going to return 4 years later when you finally decide to fix it. Too many other things to play.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
as others said, I applaud that they didn't just give up on it but all the negativity early on made me keep away when I still my xbone.

cluto

Oct 25, 2017
They ghosted on the game for four years -- long after most of the playerbase gave up on it. It's a terrible example of a studio not giving up on a game.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have been released in the state they released it in to begin with, but yeah, the support's appreciated.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
*When a publisher knows they can't just abandon something that is so important to one of their main IPs.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's good that they managed to fix it, but it should have never been released as a broken mess to begin with.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What does "Microsoft could have abandoned it" mean? It's a buggy product, they have obligation to fix it. Gamers' standard is shockingly low.

Imagine a car model has malfunction, and the car company just ignores it cuz "people can buy other cars".

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They ghosted on the game for four years -- long after most of the playerbase gave up on it. It's a terrible example of a studio not giving up on a game.
Two years actually, it received updates in 2015 and work began on it again in 2017 as that is when they had the budget, platform and tools to rework the entire collection.

What does "Microsoft could have abandoned it" mean? It's a buggy product, they have obligation to fix it. Gamers' standard is shockingly low.

Imagine a car model has malfunction, and the car company just ignores it cuz "people can buy other cars".
Since when is road safety even comparable?

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I hope every studio now will release unfinished games so we can thank them for fixing it after couple years
Right? This article seemed awfully positive for a game that took them 4 years to fix??? We're supposed to wait around all this time for software to get up to working standards after we spend our money buying it? And we should be thankful they didn't give up? I guess I'm happy they didn't stop, but that doesn't really right the original wrong of releasing a incomplete product.

Oct 26, 2017
As others have said, it should never have been released in the state it was in.

Good on them for getting around to fixing it after they burned a lot of fan goodwill and realized the brand was in danger? No, you don't get accolades for fixing a mistake you allowed to happen.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they fixed the game. Still that doesn't excuse the launch state and the two year silence between 2015 and late 2017.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy into this mentality at all. They should have released a complete and working product from the start when it was full price. By the time the game was fixed you could buy it for a fraction of the price. I'm only semi-joking when I say the game shold have been cheap at the start when it was broken and gotten more expensive when it got fixed.

No fuck them and every dev and publisher that pulls shit like this.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It should have been released initially like this (fixed), but I am happy they didn't give up on it even though it took years. They gave us mixtape matchmaking which I feel should be in every FPS going forward - sometimes I just want to play H1 slayer 4v4 and 8v8, but other times I only want H4 BTB.

I'm glad I have the game digitally, in hopes that they put MCC on pc eventually (please!).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad they fixed it. I wrote off MCC after launch, sold it, and was sad because it was all there. Just buggy.

After the big patch and launch on Game Pass, I can load it up and play whatever I want easily.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Cars can kill people if they have malfunctions. A buggy video game is just going to disappoint people.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
I've been playing it on and off since it was fixed. I love classic Halo multiplayer. But the player base is not there anymore. Especially because even the small existing player base all have different preferences in modes/games which further segments itself.

This was an issue since release even with the bugs and server woes. This is really four + games and it barely has ever had enough players for one. Options are awesome, but it almost feels like back in the day with paid DLC map packs splitting players up.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They took a lot of time to save the game, a lot of time prevented me to buy an Xbox one on first place

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

Is it surprising when you have articles coming out like this one implying they deserve some kind of a pat on the back for this debacle? Did the gaming press even take them to task in the first place when they released it? Game is sitting at a comfortable 85 on Metacritic. Just typical.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Microsoft was a different company with different leadership when MCC launched. They turned up the effort once Spencer took over Myerson's position. I don't think it was a coincidence.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many proper non-beta updates have released between May 2015 and now?
It's received atleast 3 or 4 major updates. The first one fixed the game and brought in 4k and HDR support. Since then new features have been added including new UI elements, Matchmainjg Composer and modern aiming. More updates are planned including a Custom Game Browser.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they should've waited and released it four years later. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to treat their biggest IP like that launching in rough shape.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont see how anyone can celebrate MSC after it was released in the state that it was.
Neither do I since I don't know what MSC is.

MCC on the other hand plays great now!

EDIT: Seriously, you can give them props and be happy with the state of the game is now without forgetting the shape it launched in. Meanwhile, how many of those holding it against 343i continue to support Destiny, COD, EA, Ubisoft, ect after they release buggy/incomplete games or microstransaction them to hell and back?

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I dont see how anyone can celebrate MSC after it was released in the state that it was.
I don't think anyone will forgive how it launched, however what I can play now and the support it has now is amazing. The Composer and the new aiming system have now made it my daily game, I've put a lot of time into it just in this week and I don't see that stopping.

Again though my statement does NOT imply I forgive the way it launched, but I am happy that 343 is fixing it and letting the experience finally shine.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Exactly lol. I give them props for eventually fixing it but man the game was dogshit for a LONG time. Even well after the patches before they 'fixed it' I had all sorts of issues in the SP with save points and achievements popping and I'm not even complaining about the terrible MP matchmaking etc.

I wonder. Have they fixed the splash screen at least? The "Microsoft Studios" one when you start the game that used to freeze for a second? I know it's a non issue but it just showed how bad the quality control was on the entire project.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
MCC is just one Halo Reach 4K remaster away from being one of the best compilations of all time. Given I only paid a tenner for it and the ODST DLC, I feel like I did pretty well.

I feel bad for those who bought on launch hoping to roll back the years with some Halo 2 MP but my focus has always been the SP portion and MCC delivered just fine on that, even in its cobbled together state before the massive overhaul.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Because the game now is significantly better than it would have been if it launched without issue on day 1. 4k, HDR, match composer, modern aiming, new skulls, offline LAN (wasn't even supported by the console at the time) and that's not counting upcoming features like the customs browser. Then there are wildcards like Custom Edition content possibly coming over to the MCC. That CE content is even on the table is astounding.

What modern collection even comes close to the MCC in being this superior over the originals?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
MCC is just one Halo Reach 4K remaster away from being one of the best compilations of all time. Given I only paid a tenner for it and the ODST DLC, I feel like I did pretty well.

I feel bad for those who bought on launch hoping to roll back the years with some Halo 2 MP but my focus has always been the SP portion and MCC delivered just fine on that, even in its cobbled together state before the massive overhaul.
Agreed, I mainly played the SP portions of the game at launch and it played fine for that. The multiplayer I tried also worked at the time, but admittedly I didn't play many games so I can't comment on how "broken" it was for those who played it more.

Now that my kids are a bit older, it's been great to go back on play the campaigns in co-op with them and they have even been playing it on their own when I can drag them away from Fortnite/Madden/2K.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact MCC evens exists as a thing is cause for celebration in itself. Its very disappointing the state it originally released in but looking at whats available now, it is a really special package of some of the best FPS games of all time.

All it needs now is a PC release, oh and Halo: Reach added too.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Glad to see the players are coming back, too, with MCC now already at #15 of the most played games on Xbox.

The recently added "modern aiming" feature is simply gorgeous, making all the games feel like modern shooters.

Halo MCC today is one of the most impressive collections in existence.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It needs ODST Firefight aswell.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
That is all well and good but we shouldn't really be celebrating that something was fixed two years later like everything is forgiven. You can't really expect consumers to be able to forgive companies who launch games when they are not ready and take tons of time to fix. I bought Diablo 3 at launch and gave up on it in vanilla after it was clear that it was not a great game. Blizzard from all reports fixed a lot of problems with the game but I had moved on.

Going back to a game after you have soured on it is not going to happen for a lot of people.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly.

They continually updated it for about a year after launch. By then it was in a playable state, albeit still fairly buggy.

They then started work on it again towards the end of 2017 and now it's not only completely fixed but they've added a whole host of extra features.

Last edited:

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Awesome.

Now where is the DF Analysis?

Could've used some attention for updating every game in the collection so well..

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
It was unfinished, you just explained exactly how it was so.

"Feature/Content Complete" != "Finished"
I was able to play the content/features at launch, including multiplayer so I wouldn't say it was completely unfinished. My understanding is that the issues found after launch were not seen prior to launch, but we'll need to wait for a proper post mortem on that to understand what happened.

Nov 8, 2017

You don't have to imagine. Ford never have fixed their Pinto and Bronco but found it cheaper to pay out settlements.
MS and 343 are definitely to blame for the poor launch, but you can see how MS has changed after Phil took over.
If only they can have Reach 4k in MCC and launch it on PC. Maybe announce it on E3 this year?