• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LordOfLore

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Kotaku by jschreier

A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that's probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we've heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away—it may not arrive until 2020.

It's been nearly five years since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched, which has triggered bouts of nervousness and excitement among video game fans who want to know when they'll have to start hoarding pennies for a new generation of consoles. The PS4 launched seven years after the PS3, the Xbox One eight years after the Xbox 360. It's not unreasonable to be thinking about the next generation. We don't have a concrete answer just yet, but we have been asking around, and what we've heard is a whole lot of uncertainty.

Over the past month, I've spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony's new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. "On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward," one person said. "At some point, Sony's probably looked at every possible date. It's all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware." A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans.

Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony's first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven't heard about it. (Those people said they haven't heard about a new Xbox, either.)

In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it's far more limited than it would be if the console's release was imminent.

More at the link.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Press Sneak Fuck putting in work. 2020 was always my bet, only felt shaky when devs started talking about next gen a bit. 2018 was never a possibility but 2019 felt possible.

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Lol no shit

everytime i check the ps5 thread and ppl are predicting 2019 release dates i feel like im going insane

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the info was semi accurate after all.
It's pretty obvious it wouldn't be this year.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Over the past month, I've spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony's new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting.

Full article here

As always jschreier with the time info

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Take your time.

The Pro and X console iterations are sufficient to make that stretch to 2020.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So the big takeaways here:
1.) Knowledge of what the PlayStation 5 is exists, but only at a limited number of developers both from a first and third party perspective. Think Sony's biggest partners like Naughty Dog or EA, but maybe not Sony San Diego or THQ.
2.) The current plan is to release the system in 2020.
3.) The above date isn't set in stone, and can change (either forward or backward), but most publishers/developers seem to be planning for that date. Sony also apparently directly hinted to devs they didn't officially clue in on the PS5 that they should be thinking about 2020 for the next PlayStation.

You should probably cite Kotaku in the title, since they have a lot of credibility.

Last edited:

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Not this Topic Again

Logically It will be 2020+

The ramining 2 years is For PS4 and Pro

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
No surprise at all.

They wouldn't release a new console only 2 years after the PS4 Pro launched. That'd piss off a lot of people.

They also still have to release TLOU Pt2 and Death Stranding.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duh

This nonsense about 2018 and 2019 has been the weirdest hysteria i've ever seen at this site or its predecessor

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Schreier is the best. The work he puts into his investigations and confirming/debunking rumors is admirable.

And 2019 always seemed like a long shot. There's far too many huge games in development for the current platforms that don't have release windows for new boxes in about 18 months.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah no point when they still got many big games to release even in 2019 and its still selling well.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
tbh I could probably wait until 2021
Games don't run like garbage or look low res like at the end of last gen. If you're itching for an upgrade there's the Pro/X. That and I feel like devs are currently firing on all cylinders right now and if new consoles were to come out next year it'd totally stop the momentum and it'd take us a while to get amazing games as often as we're getting them right now
imo we should give it a few more years so so we get more games out of this gen and so next gen is a bigger jump over the Xbox One X power wise

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised considering the momentum Sony has going with the PS4 and the line up of games they have for the next 2 years or so. They've got no reason to jump all into the next generation when this one is not only going strong, its doing incredibly well for them.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

So we can hoefully put this 2019 rumors and hopes to rest.

2020 or later it is.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I still hold to my Holidays 2019 prediction.

If we don't hear anything from Sony by February then it will be 2020.
Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's really not. The majority of AAA titles released during the first two years of this cycle were cross-gen releases. It can be argued this generation didn't really start gaining traction on the software side until 2016. If Pro and X didn't exist, 2019 would make sense, but with those consoles allowing current games to look and perform better + the almost certainty of full BC on the new platforms, 2020 is the best time to launch.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I think 2021. Sony is killing it just now, the tech isn't there and neither would the games be until around then.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Fine by me. I'm still satisfied from what I'm getting out of my pro on my 4k tv. Good job, Jason.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. PS4 still has quite the momentum going for it. 2020 sounds a lot more believable.