• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, Plus was a thing before those services... It was also a thing before PS NOW, which is what we were discussing? I don't see what PS Plus has to do with it, or how it makes PS NOW seems more innovative/radical? As for streaming services, there's PS NOW, Nvidia GeForce Now, MS upcoming XCloud service, Gamefly, etc. There have also been streaming services set up for individual games, such as AC Odyssey and RE7 on Switch. There were also Streaming services before NOW, like Onlive.

I'm not talking about Sony as a whole with my comments, just comparing Gamepass and PS NOW, if that's what you're getting at. Sony has undeniably been an innovator over the years, as has their competition. I'm simply stating NOW has done nothing particularly unique or exciting in and of itself.
The entire issue with this article is the need to downplay A to show B as good.

To me, both Game Pass and PSNow are radical. One more than the other? Debatable. It seems in the quest to say something good for MS, XBO the author had to go the dismissive route for Sony.

That wasn't needed. It involved hot takes and innacuries.

The Switch, that's a game by game basis. And let's be honest, we know why that is.

But, Nintendo keep it up and they'll be on the streaming train full steam ahead.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I would argue that the benefits GP brings over PSNow are being exaggerated.

Is this a joke post? I can write an entire, thorough Mama Robotnik-esque post about the value and benefits Game Pass offers and how it clearly is the best subscription service in gaming, unequivocally and without question. Like, a tl;dr kind of post. Hell, this was even before December and all the shit it bought us this month alone.

And that is just coming from someone using the service. Then you add in all the success stories for indie devs launching games day one on the service and record breaking sales of day one AAA games like Forza Horizon 4 (despite being free for millions of GP users it is somehow the best selling game in the franchise) and you have to wonder how it took so long for this to come to fruition in the first place.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My point is that GP model have a way to get them stream of revenue as a GAAS model, most of them.
But PS exclusive at its current form is unsuitable/unsustainable for it to be free on first day on PSNow.
Most people dont want Spiderman free on PSNow but with dlc costume instead of unlockables. Or GoW with purchasable token to upgrade equipment. Or Detroit with episodic releases.

Well all the Microsoft first party games that launched this year on GP, (Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, and Forza) don't have micro-transactions so that doesn't really line up with that narrative. All the first party MS games that launched with MTX launched before GP I believe. And honestly, if Sony put out first party games with the amount of content those games have with some optional things to buy that don't affect gameplay or balance to put them on PSNow day one, I would have a PSNow subscription but as it stands I just wait a year to play their exclusives when I can buy them for 20 bucks.

I think the real thing that sets them apart is almost all of MS exclusives have a social element where you can play with other people, so people that don't have GP see all their friends playing GP games and buy a copy to play with their friends.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Shouldn't it be a good thing that Sony put serious resources into a niche game like Detroit?

Yes. Platform holders like Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and Valve are in a unique position to take chances on niche franchises with high production values. When they do that it should be celebrated even if the game isn't for everyone. The investment in a game like Detroit should be applauded. It certainly wasn't a dud. It simply had a narrow target audience compared to God of War and Spider-Man.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The entire issue with this article is the need to downplay A to show B as good.

To me, both Game Pass and PSNow are radical. One more than the other? Debatable. It seems in the quest to say something good for MS, XBO the author had to go the dismissive route for Sony.

That wasn't needed. It involved hot takes and innacuries.

The Switch, that's a game by game basis. And let's be honest, we know why that is.

But, Nintendo keep it up and they'll be on the streaming train full steam ahead.
I wasn't really speaking to the article itself, just stating I felt MS was pushing the envelope more with Game pass than Sony currently is with NOW. If that specifically was stated in the article, I don't disagree with it, personally. Regardless, it's ultimately good that both have found success for each company, as they will push each other to be better (PS NOW's large streaming library pushing MS towards Xcloud, and MS's large downloadable library through Gamepass pushing Sony to offer downloads with NOW), same as with the Consoles themselves.

As for the article itself... It is clearly biased, yes. It downplays Sony's amazing software lineup whilst not criticizing MS enough for their output being lacking. Both had great years for different reasons, and this is what an unbiased article would state.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
As for the article itself... It is clearly biased, yes. It downplays Sony's amazing software lineup whilst not criticizing MS enough for their output being lacking. Both had great years for different reasons, and this is what an unbiased article would state.

There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion piece. Opinions are subjective which introduces bias. Everyone in this damned thread has a bias. Some people get angrier than others when those others don't share the same viewpoints.

Sony and their studios get plenty of kudos. Trying to figure out why a forum gets so worked up when one person's opinion falls out of line. It's like that writer who thought Last of Us was one of the most overrated games of all time. For me it's in the top 5 games I've played in the last 5 years. But I get it. Not everyone sees the same thing.

Edit: not accusing you of getting worked up. More of a response to the masses in this thread.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
There's no such thing as an unbiased opinion piece. Opinions are subjective which introduces bias. Everyone in this damned thread has a bias. Some people get angrier than others when those others don't share the same viewpoints.

Sony and their studios get plenty of kudos. Trying to figure out why a forum gets so worked up when one person's opinion falls out of line. It's like that writer who thought Last of Us was one of the most overrated games of all time. For me it's in the top 5 games I've played in the last 5 years. But I get it. Not everyone sees the same thing.

Edit: not accusing you of getting worked up. More of a response to the masses in this thread.
While this is true, there's a saying: it's not what you say but how you say it.

That one thing is the difference between a civilized debate, argument and hot takes, troll posts, etc.

The XBO part was fine, I can agree with some of what was said.

The PS4 part, especially in comparison?

Oohh boy, lol.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and say that the PS4 part of the article seemed to have a lot of caveats included for unknown reasons, which turned what should have been a positive article considering Sony's software output this year into a very mixed one.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
While this is true, there's a saying: it's not what you say but how you say it.

That one thing is the difference between a civilized debate, argument and hot takes, troll posts, etc.

The XBO part was fine, I can agree with some of what was said.

The PS4 part, especially in comparison?

Oohh boy, lol.

This statement is true. Something probably many of us (me included) can get better at.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Is this a joke post? I can write an entire, thorough Mama Robotnik-esque post about the value and benefits Game Pass offers and how it clearly is the best subscription service in gaming, unequivocally and without question. Like, a tl;dr kind of post. Hell, this was even before December and all the shit it bought us this month alone.

And that is just coming from someone using the service. Then you add in all the success stories for indie devs launching games day one on the service and record breaking sales of day one AAA games like Forza Horizon 4 (despite being free for millions of GP users it is somehow the best selling game in the franchise) and you have to wonder how it took so long for this to come to fruition in the first place.

Ironically, you just proved my point. Lol.

But to answer your post... I can write a 2000 word essay about why my shits are the greatest smelling shits in the world. It means little. What you're failing to realise is that your subjective valuation of a service is just that, a subjective valuation. On a purely objective, features-based assessment of Game Pass and PSNow, the two services are more than comparable.

What accusations? And how am I a fanboy when I own and play on both Consoles, and have been a member of both PS NOW and Gamepass over the years? I really don't understand this thread.

Dismissing another poster's post because they're no as impressed as you with a small handful of games being available on GamePass day one, as "downplaying" due to a fanboy agenda is a fanboy accusation just worded differently. Perhaps, try consider engaging with opinions that differ to your own and you might end up with more a more enjoyable discourse.

It's a massive differentiator.

Errr.... was the the point where I was supposed to have this huge revelation and go, "aaaaaah, I see it now."

Sorry mate, I still don't see it.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Me, after reading the PS4 portion:
billy_madison.gif

I've read arguments blasting Sony for many things, but I've never seen their exclusive line-up one of those things. Ever. And in the same article praising Sea of Thieves. I... I can't even right now.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing in NOW's downloadable catalogue that is on par with Forza, or the entirety of the Halo and Gears franchises, etc.

PS Now has Bloodborne. Your premise is false.

But let's be honest PSNOW has also been out longer than GAMEPASS. Gamepass is not even really a year old yet. The fact that Gamepass has almost the same market share as EA access is super impressive. Meaning that Xbox gamepass is growing at a much faster rate. Which is good.

I was replying to someone who claimed GP had more subscribers.

Microsoft first party games are selling more because of game pass.

MS is making a lot of conveniently unprovable claims about sales with respect to GP. In any case it's a lot easier to give away games that don't have any chance of seeing huge numbers. A "niche" game like Detroit sold in the same neighborhood as the best selling Xbox first party game this year. MS doesn't have anything in their portfolio with sales potential comparable to God of War or Spider-Man.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

But to answer your post... I can write a 2000 word essay about why my shits are the greatest smelling shits in the world. It means little. What you're failing to realise is that your subjective valuation of a service is just that, a subjective valuation. On a purely objective, features-based assessment of Game Pass and PSNow, the two services are more than comparable.

Dismissing another poster's post because they're no as impressed as you with a small handful of games being available on GamePass day one, as "downplaying" due to a fanboy agenda is a fanboy accusation just worded differently. Perhaps, try consider engaging with opinions that differ to your own and you might end up with more a more enjoyable discourse.

Errr.... was the the point where I was supposed to have this huge revelation and go, "aaaaaah, I see it now."

I never called you a fanboy. You are the one that resorted to name calling. You're also incredibly dismissive of what I and others have said as well, just to throw that out there.
PS Now has Bloodborne. Your premise is false.

I was replying to someone who claimed GP had more subscribers.

MS is making a lot of conveniently unprovable claims about sales with respect to GP. In any case it's a lot easier to give away games that don't have any chance of seeing huge numbers. A "niche" game like Detroit sold in the same neighborhood as the best selling Xbox first party game this year. MS doesn't have anything in their portfolio with sales potential comparable to God of War or Spider-Man.
I never claimed Gamepass has more subscribers. I said the data only supports that a more expensive service that has been around for longer has made more profit than Gamepass, and that's all it shows. I simply don't believe so many quick conclusions should be drawn when we no have hard facts beyond what the data shows (and yes, that should include what MS has said as well, although I'd like to believe they aren't blatantly lying in this instance, at least). We do not know any data related to subscribers, is all I stated.

PS NOW has Bloodborne, and you're right, that's a great game. It's also a game from 2015 that has been given away for free on PS+. I don't think that compares to a $60 90+ MC rated game being available at launch on a $10 a month service, but I don't think I'm gonna change any minds here, so I'll leave it at that.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Reading the arguments about GamePass, I get that the GamePass is a great service, but I keep thinking about something the CEO of Netflix said long ago: "The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."

If Sony wanted to, they could out GamePass the GamePass service with their exclusives. They have the technology (Now installables) and the content.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Reading the arguments about GamePass, I get that the GamePass is a great service, but I keep thinking about something the CEO of Netflix said long ago: "The goal is to become HBO faster than HBO can become us."

If Sony wanted to, they could out GamePass the GamePass service with their exclusives. They have the technology (Now installables) and the content.
This I wholeheartedly agree with, and I would personally love to see that happen (it should be obvious that I love Gamepass as a concept). I know it's been argued it wouldn't make Sony as much money, but man, can you imagine what a service that offered, let's say, God of War 2, Horizon 2, Uncharted 5, Bloodborne 2, etc. on PS5 all day one for $10 a month (hell, it might even be able to get away with $20 a month at that price, considering NOW is apparently doing well as it is) would be like? It could be massive. I know I wouldn't hesitate to subscribe to something like that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

It's pretty hard to miss. Having games launch on the service is why Game Pass is constantly talked about, while PS now is pretty much ignored. It's arguably the most important aspect of Game Pass, and a big reason why people compare it to Netflix. It's a little odd trying to downplay games launching on Game Pass in a month that has Ashen and Below launching on the service.

Last edited:

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
How is Detroit a dud? It's the best selling QD game to date and critically it's above average at worst.

It's probably referring to the Kotaku reviewer not liking the game much, which is of course carries much more weight in their mind than the generally favourable reviews on Metacritic (Metascore 78, based on 102 critical reviews). Or, perhaps, just their own personal opinion about the game.

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS NOW has Bloodborne, and you're right, that's a great game. It's also a game from 2015 that has been given away for free on PS+. I don't think that compares to a $60 90+ MC rated game being available at launch on a $10 a month service, but I don't think I'm gonna change any minds here, so I'll leave it at that.

But that's not what you said before:

I wasn't talking about the quantity of titles, I was talking about the quality of them. That's where Gamepass has NOW beat Imo. There's nothing in NOW's downloadable catalogue that is on par with Forza, or the entirety of the Halo and Gears franchises, etc.

Emphasis mine. This is a textbook example of you moving the goalposts.

The link I sent was a quote from Matt Piscatella who works for the NPD Group. Wouldn't he know what he's talking about?

He's a smart guy, but it's an unprovable premise. Each game is a singular situation. There's no way to do A/B testing. It's the same as claiming Piracy hurts sales which is likewise unprovable because there's no available, comparable data.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Lol. Looks like somebody is getting their words confused here /Inigo.gif
Yes, switch objective and subjective in that sentence...
Wow just wow. How you inferred that from my post is just baffling. How about they just say the truth about both platforms doing well instead of trying to paint a false narrative by downplaying another platform's success. How the hell do they talk about Netflix of gaming and completely ignore PS Now which is the largest subscription and streaming service out there? And how do they downplay PS4's stellar AAA games released this year by making them seem "meh" even though these fantastic AAA releases are arguably more important than game streaming to most gamers based on Sony's record sales. C'mon man, they don't have to exaggerate PS4's success but they don't need to downplay it either. They should report things as they are and stop trying to push a false narrative. Both platforms did well in different ways this year. Pretending MS had a stellar year and Sony's was "meh" or "complacent" is just a bullshit false narrative. Even the most diehard critic can't argue that PS4 didn't have an amazing year even if the games aren't up to their taste personally.

What exactly are you arguing here? The article points out the great sales of PS4 and it's great games this year but why mention PSNOW when it's not as good in comparison to GamePass?

Last edited:

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
But that's not what you said before:

Emphasis mine. This is a textbook example of you moving the goalposts.

He's a smart guy, but it's an unprovable premise. Each game is a singular situation. There's no way to do A/B testing. It's the same as claiming Piracy hurts sales which is likewise unprovable because there's no available, comparable data.
Nah, I didn't move any goalposts man. I just wasn't aware that Bloodborne was on PS NOW. Like I said, you were right, and I was wrong, plain and simple. It's got at least a few great games on there.

Gamepass still has NOW beat with the objective quality of it's lineup, unless you have more examples? The only other downloadable titles from Sony that I see of note are GOW 3 and Heavy Rain, which like Bloodborne, have been given away on PS+ prior. Also, Darksiders 1 and 2 on the third-party front. As for the rest, I really don't see how these libraries are comparable, especially given what Gamepass has added this month.

NOW's current downloadable library: https://gearnuke.com/playstation-now-list-downloadable-ps2-ps4-games/

Gamepass current library: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-10-xbox-game-pass-games-list-price

To me, there's a huge difference here unless we're factoring in streaming, which for me at least, is a poor experience all around.

Last edited:

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Regardless of the actual available titles and whether you prefer them or not, PS Now is certainly a competent alternative to GamePass that also offers unique options like streaming of the entire library (which works flawlessly in my region by the way). To act like one service is this huge gamechanger while sweeping the other under the rug is downright fanboy nonsense.

I'm certainly not insinuating PS Now is a superior product compared to GamePass right now, but this discussion is fucking stupid. Both services have their own strengths and weaknesses and PS Now is certainly no slouch.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Regardless of the actual available titles and whether you prefer them or not, PS Now is certainly a competent alternative to GamePass that also offers unique options like streaming of the entire library (which works flawlessly in my region by the way). To act like one service is this huge gamechanger while sweeping the other under the rug is downright fanboy nonsense.

I'm certainly not insinuating PS Now is a superior product compared to GamePass right now, but this discussion is fucking stupid. Both services have their own strengths and weaknesses and PS Now is certainly no slouch.

New games makes the two services very different. Game Pass wasn't relevant until it started receiving new stuff...not only from Microsoft but 3rd parties. The following list are the top 10 most streamed or downloaded PS Now games.
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Mafia III
  • NBA 2K16
  • WWE 2K16
  • Steep
  • Sniper Elite IV
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
  • Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • Payday 2 Crimewave Edition
PS Now is a slouch and isn't comparable until new games hit. It's a fair statement.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

A lot of people in this thread really like to hurl the fanboy accusation with wild abandon. I find it really insulting, tbh. Nowhere have I said PS NOW isn't competent, and if I have, I would like it quoted and shown for all to see. I have said that I dislike streaming, and that you really need to like Streaming for NOW to be a worthwhile service, as the downloadable libraries aren't really comparable. Additionally, I said I don't believe NOW to be innovative or pushing the envelope in the way Gamepass currently is, which it isn't.

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I didn't move any goalposts man. I just wasn't aware that Bloodborne was on PS NOW. Like I said, you were right, and I was wrong, plain and simple. It's got at least a few great games on there.

Gamepass still has NOW beat with the objective quality of it's lineup, unless you have more examples? The only other downloadable titles from Sony that I see of note are GOW 3 and Heavy Rain, which like Bloodborne, have been given away on PS+ prior. Also, Darksiders 1 and 2 on the third-party front. As for the rest, I really don't see how these libraries are comparable, especially given what Gamepass has added this month.

NOW's current downloadable library: https://gearnuke.com/playstation-now-list-downloadable-ps2-ps4-games/

Gamepass current library: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-10-xbox-game-pass-games-list-price

To me, there's a huge difference here unless we're factoring in streaming, which for me at least, is a poor experience all around.

That PS Now list is 3 months out of date. It's missing about 50 games recently added. But more importantly, if you didn't know what games were available on the service, you probably shouldn't have been making sweeping claims about it not being comparable to Gamepass.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
That PS Now list is 3 months out of date. It's missing about 50 games recently added. But more importantly, if you didn't know what games were available on the service, you probably shouldn't have been making sweeping claims about it not being comparable to Gamepass.
Can you link me to the most current list of downloadable titles? I would like to see it for myself. That prior list was was what I could find. Couldn't find any listing of the new games, just that For Honor was among them. Regardless, you are right that I shouldn't have made claims to this without knowing the full downloadable library of NOW. I believed genuinely that I was looking at the most recent listing of titles.

Last edited:

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I think the real thing that sets them apart is almost all of MS exclusives have a social element where you can play with other people, so people that don't have GP see all their friends playing GP games and buy a copy to play with their friends.

Tell me, why does Game Pass (that we keep getting told is massively attractive) not get an extra sale in this scenario, but a £60 game does?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tell me, why does Game Pass (that we keep getting told is massively attractive) not get an extra sale in this scenario, but a £60 game does?

Not everyone wants a subscription service? Not every game on gamepass is a full price game either. Ashen just launched and it is $40. I think Microsoft would be more than happy to have either a new GP subscriber or a game sale. They want to be Netflix where they have enough subscribers they can just fund tons of original content. So I'm not sure why someone signing up for gamepass instead is a negative option. The only thing we know is the data suggests game sales have increased due to gamepass and gamepass subscribers are more likely to buy DLC.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Sony exclusives isn't enough to sustain PSNow. Plus majority of Sony games are unsuitable for business models for services like Game Pass. Netflix spends 6+ BILLION on Original Content is consistently in the red. Is Sony prepared to spend that much? Microsoft is certainly prepared.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Sony exclusives isn't enough to sustain PSNow. Plus majority of Sony games are unsuitable for business models for services like Game Pass. Netflix spends 6+ BILLION on Original Content is consistently in the red. Is Sony prepared to spend that much? Microsoft is certainly prepared.

Source on that? There's no way Microsoft is willing to spend 6+ billion a year. And there's no reason they would have to. Video gaming is not as expensive as movies/television to develop.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Super weird article. After reading the PS4 one I had a super good idea of how the XBOX review was going to a very positive spin as compared to the PS4 one.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
What the fuck? Microsoft had 1 major game that actually reviewed truly well this year. And all of these games are story shallow GAAS games. Diverse how?

I think Microsoft has great future potential. But the idea that 2018 was a good year for them games wise is bizarro world.

I included UC4, HZD and The Last of Us.
That should give you the hint I'm not only talking about 2018 here.
It was a general statement.

Microsoft has a SiFi FPS Single- and Multiplayer focused game in Halo
Microsoft has a Gore / Horror TPS Single- and Multiplayer focused game in Gears
Microsoft has an open-world arcade/sim racer in Forza Horizon
Microsoft has a track racer in Forza Motorsport
Microsoft has a pixel graphic sandbox that is focused on player created content in Minecraft
Microsoft has a stylized shared world game focused on social interactions in Sea of Thieves
Microsoft has 2d and 3d platformers in Ori, Cuphead, ReCore and Super Lucky's Tale
Microsoft has a third person cinematic story driven action game in Quantum Break
Microsoft has other family friendly games in Zoo Tycoon, Scream Ride or whatever
Microsoft has a fighting game in Killer Instinct
Microsoft has RTS in Age of Empires, Halo Wars and Gears Tactics
Microsoft used to have an RPG in Fable, that will likely come back

So yes, out of every publisher (not only the 3 console platform holders) Microsoft has the by far most diverse lineup of first party games / exclusives.
And ironically is the perfect word one could use proven by the reactions to my comment, because people are somehow getting very defensive and dismissive about this for whatever reasons.

There's a ton of wrong, so let's open up with their 2018 published games:
Look the post above.
Also UNO made me laught, thanks for that.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I included UC4, HZD and The Last of Us.
That should give you the hint I'm not only talking about 2018 here.
It was a general statement.

Microsoft has a SiFi FPS Single- and Multiplayer focused game in Halo
Microsoft has a Gore / Horror TPS Single- and Multiplayer focused game in Gears
Microsoft has an open-world arcade/sim racer in Forza Horizon
Microsoft has a track racer in Forza Motorsport
Microsoft has a pixel graphic sandbox that is focused on player created content in Minecraft
Microsoft has a stylized shared world game focused on social interactions in Sea of Thieves
Microsoft has 2d and 3d platformers in Ori, Cuphead, ReCore and Super Lucky's Tale
Microsoft has a third person cinematic story driven action game in Quantum Break
Microsoft has other family friendly games in Zoo Tycoon, Scream Ride or whatever
Microsoft has a fighting game in Killer Instinct
Microsoft has RTS in Age of Empires, Halo Wars and Gears Tactics
Microsoft used to have an RPG in Fable, that will likely come back

So yes, out of every publisher (not only the 3 console platform holders) Microsoft has the by far most diverse lineup of first party games / exclusives.
And ironically is the perfect word one could use proven by the reactions to my comment, because people are somehow getting very defensive and dismissive about this for whatever reasons.

Look the post above.
I really don't think you are paying very close attention to Sony throughout the generation then if you think that somehow all of or even most of their exclusives fit the third person shooter mold.

All of the things you mentioned have equivalents of some sort on PS4 save for RTS's perhaps. And there are types of games on PS4 the Xbox literally cannot replicate thanks to VR.

So. No I really don't think Microsoft has the most diverse or even quality set of games throughout this gen. I know because I've played most of them seeing as I have a PC, thanks to Microsoft's initiative to put all of their games on windows.

That being said, I'm very excited to see what their new acquisitions will all cook up. I'm only a bit skeptical because I've heard a lot of this same take from Spencer all generation to lackluster results (except for expansion of services and features which is nice and they've done great with, but not why I buy a console).

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't even think PS Now is even available in Australia.

Sadly it's not no, so while it may have been out longer, to those of us in countries like Australia it may as well not even exist.

Game Pass on the other hand is available to us and it is an awesome feature. In my own personal case, it was a console selling feature.

Oct 31, 2017
Look the post above.

Cuphead isn't a Microsoft game; it's a self-published indie game.

They've yet to have one year where they were more diverse, or even produced a lot in general since around 2014, maybe 2015-ish. You've just about talked their entire generation, which kind of shows how bad it's been for many of us who owned their previous consoles.

I'm not sure you even know much about Sony or Nintendo. Your initial post was:

"All are realistic looking, story driven cinematic third person games.
Same goes for HZD and UC4 or the Last of US.

On the other hand Nintendo has only cartoony and stylized games."

Best-case scenario is that you simply don't follow them (which means you probably shouldn't be in this thread talking about them). Worst-case scenario is you're not being honest.

The fact that you would combine Horizon and Uncharted as the same game because they're both third-person and have a story (even though they play and look completely different), but then split up Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport as different games, and then not even mention Gran Turismo Sport or Driveclub, and then ignore Mario Kart because it's "stylized" even though it's a racing game, and then mention games like Super Lucky's Talebut ignore games such as Ratchet and Astro Bot (how do you forget these but remember Super Lucky's Tale?), and then separate Gears and Quantum Break as different games even though they're third-person yet you combine God of War and Uncharted (the latter has very fun multiplayer, btw, as does Last of Us), and mention something family-friendly like Screamride yet ignore The Tomorrow Children or Tearaway or LittleBigPlanet, and combine Smash/Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Splatoon/ARMS as the same game because they're stylized when they're all completely different games, just makes me wonder which of the top two scenarios we're talking about.

The fact is the top two:

Sony

Retail
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
MLB The Show 18
Shadow of the Colossus
Spider-Man

PlayStation VR
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Bravo Team
Déraciné
Firewall: Zero Hour
The Inpatient
Wipeout Omega Collection (PlayStation VR support)

PlayLink
Chimparty
Frantics
Just Deal With It!
Knowledge is Power: Decades
Melbits World
Ticket to Ride
UNO
WordHunters

Nintendo

Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 01 - Variety Kit
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 02 - Robot Kit
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
indieszero
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Nintendo Labo: Toy-Con 03 - Vehicle Kit
Super Mario Party
Pokémon Quest
Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon Let's Go, Eevee!
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

are more diverse than this:

Microsoft

Forza Horizon 4
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2

I rarely see a group of three of anything that can be considered diverse. Nintendo and Sony have done a great job in doing so. Microsoft has not.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Cuphead isn't a Microsoft game; it's a self-published indie game.

They've yet to have one year where they were more diverse, or even produced a lot in general since around 2014, maybe 2015-ish. You've just about talked their entire generation, which kind of shows how bad it's been for many of us who owned their previous consoles.

I'm not sure you even know much about Sony or Nintendo. Your initial post was:

"All are realistic looking, story driven cinematic third person games.
Same goes for HZD and UC4 or the Last of US.

On the other hand Nintendo has only cartoony and stylized games."

Best-case scenario is that you simply don't follow them (which means you probably shouldn't be in this thread talking about them). Worst-case scenario is you're not being honest.

The fact that you would combine Horizon and Uncharted as the same game because they're both third-person and have a story (even though they play and look completely different), but then split up Forza Horizon and Forza Motorsport as different games, and then not even mention Gran Turismo Sport or Driveclub, and then ignore Mario Kart because it's "stylized" even though it's a racing game, and then mention games like Super Lucky's Talebut ignore games such as Ratchet and Astro Bot (how do you forget these but remember Super Lucky's Tale?), and then separate Gears and Quantum Break as different games even though they're third-person yet you combine God of War and Uncharted (the latter has very fun multiplayer, btw, as does Last of Us), and mention something family-friendly like Screamride yet ignore The Tomorrow Children or Tearaway or LittleBigPlanet, and combine Smash/Mario/Zelda/Pokemon/Splatoon/ARMS as the same game because they're stylized when they're all completely different games, just makes me wonder which of the top two scenarios we're talking about.

The fact is the top two:

Sony

are more diverse than this:

I rarely see a group of three of anything that can be considered diverse. Nintendo and Sony have done a great job in doing so. Microsoft has not.
I know this wasn't meant to be savage....but cot damn it was savage.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018

Who said I'm ignoring those or don't know about them?
Yes Sony has some very different games, too. It does not change or contradict the argument, that overall Microsoft has the most diverse lineup.
Those list-wars are kind of stupid. I could also include Solitair and Minecraft, but that would get into ridiculous territory.
All your comment tells me, is that you're not open at all to the idea there could be some truth to what i said, because "it just can't be true".
Exactly what i said.

Would everything you said magically change if in 2019 or 2020 for example Microsofts lineup is huge while Sony's is spare like the start of the generation?
So every year we pick a "winner"?

Oct 31, 2017
Who said I'm ignoring those or don't know about them?
Yes Sony has some very different games, too. It does not change or contradict the argument, that overall Microsoft has the most diverse lineup.
Those list-wars are kind of stupid. I could also include Solitair and Minecraft, but that would get into ridiculous territory.
All your comment tells me, is that you're not open at all to the idea there could be some truth to what i said, because "it just can't be true".
Exactly what i said.

Would everything you said magically change if in 2019 or 2020 for example Microsofts lineup is huge while Sony's is spare like the start of the generation?
So every year we pick a "winner"?

It's not going to be huge, so no, I expect nothing to change. That's kind of the point.

They don't have the most diverse line-up, and you can go into the past couple years to confirm as well and stack it up to Nintendo's and Sony's. You are very dishonestly grouping together different games such as Horizon and Uncharted, which is pretty hilarious considering you split up both Forza games. Why you decided to say, "Everything from Sony is story-heavy," but now acknowledge that you conveniently skipped over their racing games, party games, I think kind of shows that you're not well-versed in anything outside of Microsoft. You're just doubling down because it's pretty obvious to everyone who responded to you that you really don't know what you're talking about. Own it, admit your mistake and move on. You'll look way better for doing so.