• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
"In March, we had Santa Monica's God Of War, which is beautiful, with a strong story—not a bad start for a franchise overhaul."

For what is arguably the game of the year and best Sony exclusive ever, that seems very little tbh. Also, the whole "samey" argument is laughable as usual

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why? Why is it unreasonable to believe a human has extremely human opinions?

Edit: ehh I think I might be misunderstanding what you're saying. I don't think the article is written to intentionally misrepresent the PS4.

My issue has been about arguing in bad faith. Accusations of fanboyism have no place in a public discussion, and only betray a cynical viewpoint on behalf of the critic. If you can't disagree without calling people fanboys, or that they're clickbait, or what have you, then why are you even talking.

Not you, obviously, but you hopefully get what I mean.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Opinions cannot be wrong. They're opinions, not facts. An opinion may be *better supported*, but that doesn't invalidate any other opinion.

*Ideologies* can be wrong—because there's a scale of morality—but talking about how the year went for two game consoles holds no such sway.
Morality is completely subjective though. You're trying to say something deep but it's just not working at all.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Because calling it clickbait, Xbox favoritism, etc., is nonsense. You can have the opinion that the article is bad—this is valid, and I haven't called out anyone who just disagreed with the article without devolving into accusations of fanboyism.

You can disagree with the article, but the instant you assume the author is arguing in bad faith, then the only person acting in bad faith is you.

He is arguing in bad faith or at least not fact checking .
It would be easy to see that GOW came out in April and only one of those games have towers .
The PS user base so much bigger than switch that most PS owners don't have switch to care about if indies play better there.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Reads like fanboy drivel to be honest. I kind of expect the switch article to be gushing if it's written by the same person.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Another David Cage game that we've basically seen 3 times before.
A literal remake of a PS2 game that already had a PS3 remaster.
Don't agree with the GOW one.
Basically the Batman Arkham games with a elements of the Ubisoft game design thrown in.

I thought he was comparing them to each other and calling them same-y, which is... huh?

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Good and interesting article. Agree on most points.

Comparing the state of Xbox with a sports team in a rebuilding year is incredibly on point. The future for them is incredibly bright. So ready for next gen.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with OP about PSVR. For some reason their efforts garner little fanfare there, despite the games offering a unique style of play on burgeoning hardware with some really solid titles.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
SotC = Unique
Detroit = Graphic adventure
GoW = Action RPG
Spider-Man = Open world action game.

How tf are these games similar in any way?

All are realistic looking, story driven cinematic third person games.
Same goes for HZD and UC4 or the Last of US.

On the other hand Nintendo has only cartoony and stylized games.
Ironically the only really diverse first party games lineup has Microsoft.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well Xbox had a dreadful year and generation in general, so I'm not going to dispute that. But you said you could do this for every year. Xbox being awful doesn't mean PS wasn't "samey".
Also, I'm not sure what the release state of a game has to do with whether the game is "samey". Sea of Thieves isn't good, but it's not a samey concept and being early access doesn't change that.
You can do it every year because the majority of games are sequels that builds on the original, RDR2 is samey so is Smash Bros. /shrug

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think all consoles had interesting years and doing their own things to success. Weird to gloss over Spiderman in one senticen

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
I don't see why people are getting worked up about the Detroit Become Human take. It wasn't very good. It looked good but thats about it. The gameplay was not there, the story was plain and predictable. It didn't even have the weird David Cage stuff I expect. At least then it'd be bad but amusing. As far as Shadow of the Colossus, it was the second time the game's been remade. It's an amazing remake but it's the same game and you have to rebuy it. I give it the same enthusiasm as Red Dead 1 or Skate 3 being 4k on Xbox One X.

With that said the year for PS4 was still amazing because GoW was incredible. Spider-Man isn't on it's level but it's really good too. The only notable exclusive this year for Xbox was Horizon 4. Nintendo didn't have any exclusives I was interested in this year but I keep hoping I'll get some Metroid news soon enough.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions cannot be wrong. They're opinions, not facts. An opinion may be *better supported*, but that doesn't invalidate any other opinion.

*Ideologies* can be wrong—because there's a scale of morality—but talking about how the year went for two game consoles holds no such sway.

That's just incorrect. Opinions are views or judgements that are held regardless of facts -- when facts are presented, yet a person still hold the same opinion ... Well, they're wrong.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still floored by the part that wrote off the PS4's indie offerings because the author likes the Switch better. That's straight out of an ERA shitpost.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
How Shadow of Colossus, God of War and Detroit(lol) are the same? Are they really playing those games at all?

Not sure this "pirate co-op" could ever bring even a sinlge drop of envy from other plataforms, really.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Reading this you'd think Ps4 had an average year and Xbox One had a good year.
When actually Ps4 had its best year so far and Xbox had another extremely lackluster year.
Like, I consider 2014 to be Ps4s worst year so far, and that was still better than Xbox 2018.

If the goal of the article was to inform readers about the state Ps4 and XboxOne are in, it failed.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My issue has been about arguing in bad faith. Accusations of fanboyism have no place in a public discussion, and only betray a cynical viewpoint on behalf of the critic. If you can't disagree without calling people fanboys, or that they're clickbait, or what have you, then why are you even talking.

Not you, obviously, but you hopefully get what I mean.
No I understand what you mean. To be honest I do think talking about bias has a place...maybe not calling fanboys, but we don't talk about bias enough. Not just in journalism but game dev too. There was that comment from a naughty dog dev upset that crash had come to Nintendo that made me annoyed. Then I'm pretty sure FF has prioritised Sony due to internal bias. There were some weird interviews in the lead up to XII:TZA. It affects how well games sell due to media reporting, it affects what games are made in the first place. Console bias is not just the fans alas. At least in my opinion.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
SSM releases GOTY-winning, critically-acclaimed, gangbusters-selling reboot of God of War
Quantic Dream releases their best game to date, great reviews, sells a ton, excellent graphics excellent music excellent acting in Detroit Become Human
BluePoint releases one of the best games of all time, for new PS4 players to experience or for old fans to enjoy once again, updated gameplay controls camera mechanics graphics sounds and of course 91 metacritic in Shadow of the Colossus
Insomniac releases one of the best superhero games to date, #1 PS Exclusive game sales in history, best licensed game in Spiderman

in addition to the gazillion of indies like Celeste, Dead Cells, Subnautica

plus amazing VR games like Astrobot

but hey PlayStation this year was just a'ight.

But what has Playstation done for us in the week this article was written? :)

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Morality is completely subjective though. You're trying to say something deep but it's just not working at all.

...What.

Morality is a set of value judgements based upon a subjective truth, certainly, but that subjective truth is anchored to notions of "what maximizes the most happiness"—something philosophers have argued over *for millenia*. A video game console "debate" is anchored on nothing. Opinions about a piece of media extend only from that media. They cannot be any more valid than any other opinion on that media.

You can't claim that "WELL MORALITY IS SUBJECTIVE" is on the same scale of argument as a *game console*.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Whoever wrote this piece should have sticked to the facts. I can also disregard PS VR or software I'm not interested to play in the platform (or any other, for the matter), but doing so in what's meant to be a neutral assesment gives an impression of parciality. Detroit was a hit, Astro Bot and Moss are terrific games, not to mention other omitted high performers as MLB, Tetris (co-publisher) and Firewall for the same VR segment before neglected.

For the future, benefit of the doubt? Everything is improvable, but this was a very good year, it doesn't deserve so much susceptibility.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't see why people are getting worked up about the Detroit Become Human take. It wasn't very good. It looked good but thats about it. The gameplay was not there, the story was plain and predictable. It didn't even have the weird David Cage stuff I expect. At least then it'd be bad but amusing.

It's probably the most complex branching narrative that's ever been released. I have some of my own issues with aspects of the writing and a few plot holes, but I don't think you can just outright dismiss its quality. It's definitely not a dud.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
That's just incorrect. Opinions are views or judgements that are held regardless of facts -- when facts are presented, yet a person still hold the same opinion ... Well, they're wrong.

...But what facts has *anyone* presented here? That this is supposedly PlayStation's best year is *entirely subjective*. God of War taking home GOTY doesn't make it any less subjective.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol at Detroit being a dud. If there wasn't the workplace issues, you can bet your ass that game would have reviewed better at hackey places like Kotaku, Polygon and Waypoint while not getting passive aggressive statements that a high school student would use.

In its success, Sony has shown signs of complacency, offering nothing as radical as the Netflix-style all-you-can-play Xbox Game Pass and only being dragged belatedly to support cross-platform play for modern games (yes, yes, they did it long ago with PlayStation-and-PC crossplay for online Final Fantasy games). What Sony has going for it now works pretty well, of course, and it'd be hard to find a PS4 owner unhappy about their 2018 or skeptical about the chances of 2019 to be even better.
This also is not a sign of complacency, just different strategy. Sony has far too many franchises that are single player only, which don't fare as well in the Netflix style as MS's strategy of online or games that focus on getting updates/content every few months. Ie. their library is focused to keep people using MS Netflix. I don't know if Sony is not being wise to do this mind you, but it isn't because of complacency.

This is about as far as I got. Terrible article.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If you're writing an article with the name 'The State of the X in 2018', you're essentially writing an essay and it should be somewhat impersonal rather than opinionated. There's nothing wrong with any of this as op-ed, but the presentation of these articles isn't congruent with that: they imply a level of seriousness and objectivity that simply aren't in the text. Unfortunately in the end it comes off as someone fundamentally quite biased trying to seem objective, and it ends up with various bits of utter drivel.

Samey. Little more than parroting console war nonsense.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
The future is bright for all platforms.

PlayStation had an amazing year first party wise - emphasis on delivering games to play.
Xbox had a notable year for services and building first party - emphasis on future games that are at a very early stage of production.
Switch had a great year with Pokemon and Smash - 2019 seems questionable as I can only recall a mainline Pokemon game coming.

All in all - the downplaying on PlayStation reeks of pre 2013 levels where everybody was of the opinion that XBOX would annihilate PlayStation.

That GAF thread alone saying PlayStation will exit the hardware business was hilarious and so representative of the bubble that a large majority of the forum exist in.

I expect more click bait articles predicting doom for PlayStation as we head into the next generation and the reality being it is a monstrous success as usual.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SotC = Unique
Detroit = Graphic adventure
GoW = Action RPG
Spider-Man = Open world action game.

How tf are these games similar in any way?

They all start like this...

OyQLWE.gif

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
All are realistic looking, story driven cinematic third person games.
Same goes for HZD and UC4 or the Last of US.

On the other hand Nintendo has only cartoony and stylized games.
Ironically the only really diverse first party games lineup has Microsoft.
SotC is anything but story driven, nor is it Cinematic. Like yeah they have realistic graphics, but the artstyle in all 4 is completely different.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolute dogshit article. Trying to tie a bunch of completely different games together, and downplay them all together.

God of War, Spiderman and Detroit are all the same, you heard it here first.

(Also Detroit was great don't @ me)

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
It's probably the most complex branching narrative that's ever been released. I have some of my own issues with aspects of the writing and a few plot holes, but I don't think you can just outright dismiss its quality. It's definitely not a dud.
I'll take your word as after my play through I had no interest in replaying it or even looking up different endings. I think I liked Beyond Two Souls more back on PS3 and that had some really annoying combat sequences. I went in wanting to like it too since even with the odd decisions in previous games I at least enjoy my time playing Cage's games. Part of me wonders if all those Tell Tale games just ruined this style of game for me.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to read the Xbox article, but I didn't find the Playstation article to be nearly as negative as some other people ITT. Seemed like a fair critique of their year, but I'll agree it didn't seem to put much emphasis on just how high the highs were.