• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Felt like there were many paragraphs which ended with unnecessary snark.
Like I get it a opinion piece but the author really went to town with it lol.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
...What.

Morality is a set of value judgements based upon a subjective truth, certainly, but that subjective truth is anchored to notions of "what maximizes the most happiness"—something philosophers have argued over *for millenia*. A video game console "debate" is anchored on nothing. Opinions about a piece of media extend only from that media. They cannot be any more valid than any other opinion on that media.

You can't claim that "WELL MORALITY IS SUBJECTIVE" is on the same scale of argument as a *game console*.
Yes and we're still using those same arguments from thousands of years ago, showing that we've exhausted the finite limits of that debate thousand of years ago. Very little, if anything new, as been said about morality in YEARS. Were Plato and co's argument any less "valid" when they were 1st conceived purely because they were in the infancy of the debate? Clearly not seen as I've said we're still going back to them.

Just because videos haven't been around for millenia doesn't mean we haven't reached an exhaustive notion by which we can anchor opinions/arguments to.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That's one way to downplay an absolutely stellar year for the PS4 in terms of exclusives. A year so good they even managed to convince me to invest in PSVR.

And Detroit a dud?! If you don't venture beyond the office walls of Kotaku much then yeah I guess.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
All are realistic looking, story driven cinematic third person games.
Same goes for HZD and UC4 or the Last of US.

On the other hand Nintendo has only cartoony and stylized games.
Ironically the only really diverse first party games lineup has Microsoft.

Yeah. Microsoft's 2018 lineup.

GAAS Shared open world pirate game
GAAS Co-op open world zombie game
GAAS Shared open world driving game

This is so dumb.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
That's a funny perspective on PS4 side :
- All Games are the Same
- PS Now is trash
- Indies are better on other plataforms
- Sony needs to put more effort on PSVR
- Let's hope Sony doesn't give up on VR because this is what they do.

I mean of course everyone are entitled to their opinions but it's at least kinda strange to me to see this kind of complaints when in my perspective as a PS4/PSVR owner :
- This is Sony 1P best year ever and I fail to see where God of War, Spider Man, Detroit, Astrobot, Shadow of the Colossus or Wipeout Omega Collection are "the same".
- I don't see myself subscribing to PS Now but PS Now got PS4 and PS2 download options this year. So yeah you could say that the service is not good as it should be but why also not mention it's improvements?
- Downplay a game that's coming to a plataform just cause you wanted/want to play on another one is not a good a thing.
- This is also PSVR best year! Honestly I would rather see Sony creating new IPs and new experiences for PSVR instead of milking watered versions of their biggest games.
- Again it's PSVR best year and its clear that support is growing so why throw this "Sony doesn't support their plataforms" narrative at this moment?

Again everyone is entitled to their opinions but there's a lot of hot takes in this article, and some of those that doesn't make any sense in both a subjective and objective perspectives.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But criticizing a console's lineup because those games were also available on a different machine the author prefers is weird as fuck. It's like the Persona 5 review that had "not on Switch" as one of the cons.

That is not true. LKD (I assume you're talking about her review?) just said that she'd prefer to play a massive- and dare I say slog?- game like Persona 5 on a portable system, citing her P4G experience on Vita (not Switch) as a comparison. Fanboys then jumped to conclusions and lied to smear her and her review when her intent was totally harmless and simple. She never listed "not on Switch" as a con.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
"Samey." Sheesh. Kotaku continues to be much more critical of Sony in these "state of the console" articles.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't mean that as snark.

I'm not fully clued in on their plans for 2019. I bought one for Pokemon Lets go and love it.

Eshop prices are disgraceful tho.
Oh I figured you were not being fanboyish lol.
But there legitimately is a lot slated for next year: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Daemon x Machina, plus Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 could be next year as well. This is just off the top of my head, someone posted a very nice picture listing everything slated for Switch next year, it's gonna be a good one all around.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Good article downplays PlayStation and promote and praise Xbox. Do not care about what preference He has but the article in a gaming website was supposed to be neutral.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
While all these games were good, or at least competent, they're also kind of samey.

While there were some interesting indies that released concurrently on the PS4 and PC, like The Swords of Ditto and Moonlighter, the response was less enthusiasm and more "when's it coming to Switch?" Swords of Ditto does not have a Switch version in the works. Moonlighter did end up on Switch. Having played both versions, it feels more at home on the Nintendo console.

SMH really hard right now.

This article would have been better written by someone a little more impartial.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is not true. LKD (I assume you're talking about her review?) just said that she'd prefer to play a massive- and dare I say slog?- game like Persona 5 on a portable system, citing her P4G experience on Vita (not Switch) as a comparison. Fanboys then jumped to conclusions and lied to smear her and her review when her intent was totally harmless and simple. She never listed "not on Switch" as a con.
Alright, I've never read the review in question, just repeating what I have heard about it.
The larger point remains, however- the games came out for the system, and are an additive to its library. Your own preferences about how and where you would play the games are irrelevant to a recap like this one, because they are not universal in the slightest (it's like how people like Derrick like to pretend that any game that comes out on Switch and also elsewhere is irrelevant on Switch, because better graphics on other versions mean that those are the only ones who count. No, he doesn't get to dictate what people prefer when they play games, and neither does the author of the PS4 article on Kotaku).

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I figured you were not being fanboyish lol.
But there legitimately is a lot slated for next year: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Daemon x Machina, plus Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 could be next year as well. This is just off the top of my head, someone posted a very nice picture listing everything slated for Switch next year, it's gonna be a good one all around.

Luigis mansion and metroid probably - I've never played metroid but the hype here makes me interested lol.

Still haven't got to Breath of the Wild Pokken or Mario Odyssey and that's without even Smash.

Lot of stuff to catch up on.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, I've never read the review in question, just repeating what I have heard about it.
The larger point remains, however- the games came out for the system, and are an additive to its library. Your own preferences about how and where you would play the games are irrelevant to a recap like this one, because they are not universal in the slightest (it's like how people like Derrick like to pretend that any game that comes out on Switch and also elsewhere is irrelevant on Switch, because better graphics on other versions mean that those are the only ones who count. No, he doesn't get to dictate what people prefer when they play games, and neither does the author of the PS4 article on Kotaku).

Oh yeah I totally agree with this overall sentiment just wanted to correct/inform you to what you brought up is all :)

I only know myself because I started to watch Jim's videos again and his Dark Souls Switch video brought this up and reminded me of that very embarrassing moment.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
well do the protags all mostly walk on two legs?

checkmate
I see your check, mate, and raise you a full house.

jOt17y7.jpg
qHQc3WW.jpg

ODurZW2.jpg
XO3MWUf.jpg

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I see the complacency they are talking about. Sony is coasting into Next Gen with no signs of hunger. 90 million units don't mean much when you have to start back at zero against a competitor that is starved for a win after an embarrassing loss and not focusing on TV, TV, TV this time around.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luigis mansion and metroid probably - I've never played metroid but the hype here makes me interested lol.

Still haven't got to Breath of the Wild Pokken or Mario Odyssey and that's without even Smash.

Lot of stuff to catch up on.
Oh mate, you got some of the best games ever (imo) waiting for you, I'm a bit jealous. I hope you enjoy them all! Feel free to send me your FC if you ever want to play some multiplayer.

Oh yeah I totally agree with this overall sentiment just wanted to correct/inform you to what you brought up is all :)

I only know myself because I started to watch Jim's videos again and his Dark Souls Switch video brought this up and reminded me of that very embarrassing moment.
Thanks for correcting me at any rate, these kinds of false narratives have a tendency of getting out of hand sadly :P

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Xbox is certainly gaining momentum and positive mindshare as articles like this continue to pop up. Bodes well for next gen.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But criticizing a console's lineup because those games were also available on a different machine the author prefers is weird as fuck. It's like the Persona 5 review that had "not on Switch" as one of the cons.

I mean if you're going to dismiss the Switch as just "the author's personal preference" and not the game changer it has been for many people's video game consuming habits, then obviously you are not looking at the big picture as to why this is such a widespread sentiment.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Th
Oh mate, you got some of the best games ever (imo) waiting for you, I'm a bit jealous. I hope you enjoy them all! Feel free to send me your FC if you ever want to play some multiplayer.

Thanks for correcting me at any rate, these kinds of false narratives have a tendency of getting out of hand sadly :P
Thanks man - I will of course.

Just got to sign up for Nintendo Online - feels weird writing that lol.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
That PlayStation bit was extremely weird. They even try to make us knowing The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreams, Death Stranding, and Days Gone are coming soon into a negative because we don't have exact dates yet.

Who cares? The games look great and they'll be out when they're ready.

And when they do come out it will be seen as a negative still because they are 'samey'.

I mean if you're going to dismiss the Switch as just "the author's personal preference" and not the game changer it has been for many people's video game consuming habits, then obviously you are not looking at the big picture as to why this is such a widespread sentiment.

There is nothing wrong with preferring other systems. There are plenty of games I would love to have on Switch. That doesn't make them not being on Switch representative of the game's quality, which is what this is about.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
What's with the doom and gloom about Sony for past year? I understand all this articles and hot takes doesn't matter much because Sony actually delivers on the quality and quantity.
What's the reason for this negativity?
People like an underdog I guess.
Sony have been crushing it so hard all gen and Microsoft have finally awoken from their current gen coma and are finally showing signs of life as we head towards next gen.
Personally I think Sony's games this gen have been great,if Xbox can step up games wise next gen it's gonna be great for gamers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not dismissing anything, the author is free to prefer the Switch for their gaming (I do too). My point is that his personal gaming habits are irrelevant when considering the library additions to a console's lineup. It's like when people try to dismiss a Switch version of a game because the PS4 version looks better- doesn't matter, the game came to Switch, and for a whole lot of people who would rather have the Switch's convenience over the PS4's graphics, it's an addition.
Similarly, the author preferring games on Switch is irrelevant to them also coming to the PS4. If a lot of people would rather have the big screen graphical experience over the Switch's convenience, which many do, then it's still an addition to the PS4 library, which it is.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yes and we're still using those same arguments from thousands of years ago, showing that we've exhausted the finite limits of that debate thousand of years ago. Very little, if anything new, as been said about morality in YEARS. Were Plato and co's argument any less "valid" when they were 1st conceived purely because they were in the infancy of the debate? Clearly not seen as I've said we're still going back to them.

Just because videos haven't been around for millenia doesn't mean we haven't reached an exhaustive notion by which we can anchor opinions/arguments to.

...what? If we've exhausted the finite limits of that debate, then why are we still having it? Why are ethical philosophers still asking these questions? You act as if morality is set in stone, that there can be no new interpretations, and yet you state earlier that morality is subjective. Which is it, then?

Arguing about how good a year a game console had is absolutely nothing in comparison. Where's the millenia we can anchor how good or bad Detroit is to? Where's the thousands upon thousands of philosophers arguing why God of War totally deserved that 2018 Game of the Year win?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Can't wait to hear what they say about switch. Nothing but glowing praise on a great second year from Nintendo. WHen that's not how it played out at all. Without Pokemon and Smash coming late into 2018, it would go down as a whatever year for Nintendo.

Say what you want about Octopath traveler and MArio Aces.

May 18, 2018

WAT.GIF

Oct 29, 2017
I see the complacency they are talking about. Sony is coasting into Next Gen with no signs of hunger. 90 million units don't mean much when you have to start back at zero against a competitor that is starved for a win after an embarrassing loss and not focusing on TV, TV, TV this time around.
Of course it means a lot...all they have to do is announce backwards compatibility for those 90 million players and they will feel the push to stay in the PlayStation ecosystem, along with it being the place where their friends play.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

They won't start at zero, though.
They have established several new(and old) extremely successful IPs this generation. Winning GotY awards left and right and setting new sales records. Several of the second tier studios have made the jump to top tier.
They've practically pushed Microsoft out of the market in most regions outside US and UK.
Before they transition to Ps5 they will release another batch of promising exclusives (The Last Of Us 2, Death Stranding, Dreams, Ghost Of Tsushima and Days Gone).
And coming off of those games they will simply continuing franchises like God Of War, Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Horizon on Ps5, meaning that Sony can rely on having several of the most anticipated games of next gen exclusively on their platform.

Most people think Ps5 will launch in late 2020, how people think Sony has become "complacent" just because they don't start talking about their next gen plans 2 years before release is beyond me.

No matter what next gen looks like, Sony will have a massive head start.