• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
I see the complacency they are talking about. Sony is coasting into Next Gen with no signs of hunger. 90 million units don't mean much when you have to start back at zero against a competitor that is starved for a win after an embarrassing loss and not focusing on TV, TV, TV this time around.

how the hell is sony complacent?

they just released, this year, 5 critically-acclaimed first-party games in God of War, MLB 18, Detroit Become Human, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-man. where will you ever see a publisher that does that at any given year? Not EA, not activision, not anyone.

I just can't with all these, "Sony is complacent" shitty-ass narrative some people are trying to push. Why, because they didn't offer BC? GamePass? What is it that makes them complacent? because they're not attending E3 next year and they do not have PSX?

1. All-year round they release their own published games to critical acclaim (which means they have invested in these games years in advance, pouring millions in dev and marketing)
  2. they partner with other studios for releases like freaking Persona 5, Ni No Kuni II, Valkyria Chronicles and the freaking Yakuza series
  3. they partner with others in the marketing department like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call of Duty
  4. they offer deals and sales almost every single month
  5. they support their other platforms like PSVR and launching games that are critically-acclaimed yet again in Astrobot, Moss, freaking Tetris Effect
  6. they do bundles to further push the games they publish, they have worked on updates on the PlayStation Store and are currently working on the firmware update everyone is waiting for
  7. support for PSNow has grown and they have added like 80 more games and gave you the ability to download the games for offline play
  8. also pushing for their upcoming games like Dreams and Days Gone
then we got this shitty-ass narrative push that Sony isn't doing shit all year like what in the world is that supposed to mean, exactly?

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
When it comes to PS Now lets us not forget Nielson's data.

superdatastreamingq318-r471x.png

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news...scription-services-generated-273m-in-q3-2018/

More important : let's not forget that you can now download PS4 and PS2 games. And there is more than 200 titles available for download!

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Funny read so much negativity after the best year from first party wise. I guess services are more important than games
Not sure the article is saying services are more important than games -- game arent the only bag when it comes to consoles these days. Then again, he could also be acknowledging that he understands each of the Big 3 have different visions for console gaming and simply judging by their own merits.

You also cant deny that GP offers immense value when it comes to gaming. Receiving brand new Ip's day-and-date for $10 a month is cray-cray world.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I see the complacency they are talking about. Sony is coasting into Next Gen with no signs of hunger. 90 million units don't mean much when you have to start back at zero against a competitor that is starved for a win after an embarrassing loss and not focusing on TV, TV, TV this time around.
There's nothing complacent about having pretty much all your studios having very fresh, exciting I.Ps going into a new gen.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see even Kotaku has caught the "Sony games are all the same" flu. Oh well.

End of the day, these are game consoles and I want them to come out with top tier games/exclusives for me to play which PlayStation did astronomically better than the competition.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know I'm stanning for Xbox lately and think they're set to take next gen but saying PS4's games were samey while in truth Xbox had bugger all this year aside from yet another Forza comes off as really one sided.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting article.

Will just subscribe to the thread and read like I did the other thread , see if it lasts as long as the other one that got locked, lol

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
PS4 had a great year in sales, but for me it was awful since I don't like cinematic action games. Shadow of the Colossus was fun even though it was my third time playing it. The best PS4 exclusive continue to be Bloodborne by a mile.
That's my hot take and I do understand that I'm in a minority.
PS Now sucks though, it's not even available here in Sweden.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Both are coasting at the moment in one way or another...

Ms is coasting about games... with just few gamess... and at least for me besides FH4 they didn't have anything impressive this year. 2017 was worse.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know I'm stanning for Xbox lately and think they're set to take next gen but saying PS4's games were samey while in truth Xbox had bugger all this year aside from yet another Forza comes off as really one sided.

Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 all released this year and all pretty unique titles titles in their own right. Forgetting about quality for a minute, the one thing that Xbox doesn't lack in its output is diversity. They have most genres covered and then some.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's another thing about the quotes in the OP that made me tilt my head. A ton of people use PS Now to play games, more than game enthusiast sites may realize.

In the gaming bubble PS now is absolute trash and those other services are better. Outside of the bubble PS now takes 52% of quarterly revenue. Which is my math is correct equates to 141 million of the 273 million quarterly pot.

Almost 4 times as much as the service the gaming forum(s) bubble percieves as better...

SuperSonic

Oct 25, 2017
While there were some interesting indies that released concurrently on the PS4 and PC, like The Swords of Ditto and Moonlighter, the response was less enthusiasm and more "when's it coming to Switch?"

The fuck is this? What does this have to do with "The state of PS4"? More like "The state of my opinion in 2018".

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
PS4 had a great year in sales, but for me it was awful since I don't like cinematic action games. Shadow of the Colossus was fun even though it was my third time playing it. The best PS4 exclusive continue to be Bloodborne by a mile.

to me, it isn't that i don't like cinematic action games but i think it depends on the game. I enjoy spidey's combat more than god of war but the open world in spidey isn't really the best..detroit so far ive only played a couple of hours and im enjoy it and of course i know what to expect from each and every game.

then again the game i played the most this year is Dead Cells. so i wouldn't call PS4 awful it's just that my tastes have changed over time or it really depends on what mood i am in. maybe next year i will be able to enjoy playing god of war more. it really depends, but to say these games are samey or detroit is a dud is just pushing it. i may not enjoy those games like i do Dead Cells doesn't mean they're duds, the same way i won't enjoy a good Hollywood blockbuster film just 'cause i am feeling the Korean drama movies more this year, yknow what I mean.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
So, according to press (Kotaku, US Gamer and Gamespot) Sony's doomed.

- All their games are the same.
- PSVR does not receive support.
- Their services are bad.
- Switch is the home the indies belong.
- Their events have been terrible.
- They don't have the best hardware.
- They don't have have enough studios.
- Sony is arrogant.

Seems like with the mighty Microsoft finally coming back and with the Switch being a fan favorite, it does not make much sense for Sony to create another console at this point. Sony is the new Sega confirmed.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
You are right remember that time very well, but at that time Sony manage to make a few mistakes.
Nothing wrong with stating facts from a neutral perspective but there were so many articles with fanboyism written all over it. It's quite weird in general but ever worse from a "journalistic" viewpoint. I remember many articles were referring to NPD's as the holy grail to why 360 is vastly outselling the PS3 but you had to look little closer to realize that wasn't the case worldwide. Lots of deception

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
how the hell is sony complacent?

they just released, this year, 5 critically-acclaimed first-party games in God of War, MLB 18, Detroit Become Human, Shadow of the Colossus, Spider-man. where will you ever see a publisher that does that at any given year? Not EA, not activision, not anyone.

I just can't with all these, "Sony is complacent" shitty-ass narrative some people are trying to push. Why, because they didn't offer BC? GamePass? What is it that makes them complacent? because they're not attending E3 next year and they do not have PSX?

1. All-year round they release their own published games to critical acclaim (which means they have invested in these games years in advance, pouring millions in dev and marketing)
  2. they partner with other studios for releases like freaking Persona 5, Ni No Kuni II, Valkyria Chronicles and the freaking Yakuza series
  3. they partner with others in the marketing department like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call of Duty
  4. they offer deals and sales almost every single month
  5. they support their other platforms like PSVR and launching games that are critically-acclaimed yet again in Astrobot, Moss, freaking Tetris Effect
  6. they do bundles to further push the games they publish, they have worked on updates on the PlayStation Store and are currently working on the firmware update everyone is waiting for
  7. support for PSNow has grown and they have added like 80 more games and gave you the ability to download the games for offline play
  8. also pushing for their upcoming games like Dreams and Days Gone
then we got this shitty-ass narrative push that Sony isn't doing shit all year like what in the world is that supposed to mean, exactly?
I think people say that because what is imperative nowadays on ERA is that features are more important than games...

Like I said on my last post both (Sony and MS) are being complacent someway... Sony with features and MS with games.

Yes MS bought studios, but Sony is expanding their studios, But before these studios delivey anything will be 2-3 years min.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the doom and gloom about Sony for past year? I understand all this articles and hot takes doesn't matter much because Sony actually delivers on the quality and quantity.
What's the reason for this negativity?
I mean doesn't even bring up GOW current GOTY awards or the sales records it and Spider-man broke. Surely noteworthy for a year in review?

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Nothing wrong with stating facts from a neutral perspective but there were so many articles with fanboyism written all over it. It's quite weird in general but ever worse from a "journalistic" viewpoint. I remember many articles were referring to NPD's as the holy grail to why 360 is vastly outselling the PS3 but you had to look little closer to realize that wasn't the case worldwide. Lots of deception
I'm with you in that remember the phrase USA = World was created because of that.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Y'know I'm stanning for Xbox lately and think they're set to take next gen, but saying PS4's games were samey while in truth Xbox had bugger all this year aside from yet another Forza comes off as really one sided.

Whilst I personally don't believe the Xbox is ever going to 'take' any generation, the conclusion of your post rings true.

Let's see what has been released on the PlayStation 4 this year:

Big name games.

Shadow of the Colossus
MLB The Show 18
God of War
Detroit: Become Human
Spider-Man

VR software.

Astro Bot Rescue Team
Bravo Team (this is the only dud in their entire line up)
Déraciné
Firewall: Zero Hour
The Inpatient
WipEout Omega Collection (VR support)

As well as eight new PlayLink titles too.

The Xbox One on the other hand?

Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Forza Horizon 4

One article mentions that the state of the PS4 this year has been so-so, whereas the Xbox One is doing quite well. Different authors, yes, but they are strikingly lopsided.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Honestly, the fact that the Author apparently doesnt know shit about Playstation Now shows how worthless this article is. Its like they just completely forgot Sony pioneered this whole instant access to a game library thing. PSNow still needs some improvements but the PS4 and PS2 game downloads is a major step in the right direction. I also have no clue how the author could present Sony's offerings as "samey". Writer is an idiot or has a personal agenda and an axe to grind.

If Xbox is on a positive course then its absurd to characterize Playstation differently. Multiple first party titles nominated for GOTY.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 all released this year and all pretty unique titles titles in their own right. Forgetting about quality for a minute, the one thing that Xbox doesn't lack in its output is diversity. They have most genres covered and then some.

I'd say missing out on a lot of Japanese support like Yakuza and Dragon's Quest really hurts to fill in the gaps for Xbox throughout the year.

And i'd rather have samey games like Kotaku proclaims that are high quality than diversity that ends up being fairly ho-hum.

Of course having PSVR sure helps alleviate that for me at least.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It really does seem to go out if it's way to gloss over or outright dismiss the strides in software we saw this year both for the standard PS4 platform and for PSVR.

This feels like a preview of what we can expect to see at the start of the next generation of HW as it's dismissiveness is eerily similar to the sort of coverage we saw at the start of this gen wherein media constantly informed us all how wrong we were to take umbrage with the OG XB1 plans or generally made any effort possible to offer up excuses and salvage the brand image in the face of overwhelming consumer backlash. It was really bizarre to watch.

That said this isn't to diminish the progress made on the Xbox platform. They've definitely made some strides on their services and have made some interesting studio purchases that will hopefully pay dividends further down the road.

What's frustrating to me is this narrative that seems to want all the platforms to offer the same things and criticize them when they differ. It's clear that both companies have dramatically different goals and strategies. They offer and will likely continue to offer different things that serve different audiences. It's clear Xbox is all in on the services front tryingto develop a platform that offers both consumer facing services and a steady flow of games as a service. Their whole strategy has shifted towards prioritizing reoccurring revenue and engagement over time and it's working for them. Sony on the other hand is prioritizing largely single player narrative driven experiences along with support for a wide range of other experiences and pushing a new format in VR. Everyone should want this divergence. Having a wider more diverse audience that dedicated HW and gaming platforms can appeal to is a good thing. Why not instead point out these differences and evaluate them on how well they achieve their goals. It's ok that one platform succeeds in areas the other doesn't because the opposite is also true and inevitably each platform has its own audience.

It seems ingrained in folks (both forum posters and games media) that in order for one of these platforms to succeed the other must suffer or fail and while that may have been true in the past we are starting to witness a divergence on platforms that should allow them to profitably serve their own audiences independent of the other and (hopefully) further expand the audience for gaming as a medium. The more unique and different each platform is from others the better it is for the industry. The sooner folks recognize that this is where things are headed the better.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
In the gaming bubble PS now is absolute trash and those other services are better. Outside of the bubble PS now takes 52% of quarterly revenue. Which is my math is correct equates to 141 million of the 273 million quarterly pot.

Almost 4 times as much as the service the gaming forum(s) bubble percieves as better...
The brilliant thing about Playstation Now is that people hear about all these sony games and want to test it out. They get PS Now and get attached to, let's say The Last of Us. The experience is playable, but the thought of being able to enjoy it in all it's glory with the Remaster + 60fps lingers. Then the next thing you know the non gamer that was curious has a Playstation slim + Spiderman. Now they are eyeing this PSVR thing people on youtube are making reaction videos about.

The gateway gamer.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
Paying a fraction of the cost of a game isn't a positive? Along with access to lots of other top quality games. It's quite clear why it's been received so well.

It is a personal preference. I don't like renting stuff. I want to make an effort to decide if I would invest time before paying for a game. And It just could make my backlog problem, too big to not become a problem.....(in some weird way?) I don't like that.

And it potentially changes how game will be made.... that is just I am guessing...

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
The Playstation article mentions the big releases and can't even get God of War's launch month correct.

The game came out in April, not March.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Well Xbox had a dreadful year and generation in general, so I'm not going to dispute that. But you said you could do this for every year. Xbox being awful doesn't mean PS wasn't "samey".
Also, I'm not sure what the release state of a game has to do with whether the game is "samey". Sea of Thieves isn't good, but it's not a samey concept and being early access doesn't change that.

Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu is yet another remake hoping to cash in on Gen 1 nostalgia.

Smash Bros. Ultimate is Smash Bros. but with every character ever because they can't come up with a way to innovate with the game.

Super Mario Party is yet another uninspired Mario Party game.

Assassin's Creed: Spartan is an Assassin's Creed game with a Roman skin.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is another slow, open world Rockstar game that has lesser gameplay because "storytelling."

Fallout 76 is another broken, soulless Bethesda open world game.

Do I really need to continue? You can write silly reductive descriptions for any game, from multiple perspectives of being "same" if you wan. Spider-Man, God of War, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Fallout 76 are all open world games where you stare at the map constantly trying to figure out what menial task you want to accomplish while you put off finishing the unremarkable story.

Point is: when you reduce a piece of entertainment to the basic elements that fit your narrative you are espousing a bad opinion.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

No one here is refuting that. But let's not kid ourselves in that Sea of thieves is at the same quality of what Sony put out this year. SAME WITH state of decay 2. Quality wise Forza was the only title that really sticks out, and there's been a forza game every year either it be mainline or Horizon.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst I personally don't believe the Xbox is ever going to 'take' any generation, the conclusion of your post rings true.

Let's see what has been released on the PlayStation 4 this year:

Big name games.

Shadow of the Colossus
MLB The Show 18
God of War
Detroit: Become Human
Spider-Man

VR software.

Astro Bot Rescue Team
Bravo Team (this is the only dud in their entire line up)
Déraciné
Firewall: Zero Hour
The Inpatient
WipEout Omega Collection (VR support)

As well as eight new PlayLink titles too.

The Xbox One on the other hand?

Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Forza Horizon 4

One article mentions that the state of the PS4 this year has been so-so, whereas the Xbox One is doing quite well. Different authors, yes, but they are strikingly lopsided.

Plus other titles that are either also on Switch or PC but missing Xbox like.

Yakuza 6
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Dragon's Quest XI
Fist of the North Star
Tetris Effect
Borderlands 2 VR

There's more i'm sure i'm forgetting but these really help flesh out the year between the major exclusives.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The whole "all Sony's games are the same!" narrative is silly, but I'm kinda with you on that. The only big PS4 exclusive that has clicked with me this generation was God of War -- though I know Dreams is also going to be something I love. I'm definitely in the minority on it, but this generation is the least i've been engaged with a Sony platform despite it on paper having the strongest first party.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say missing out on a lot of Japanese support like Yakuza and Dragon's Quest really hurts to fill in the gaps for Xbox throughout the year.

And i'd rather have samey games like Kotaku proclaims that are high quality than diversity that ends up being fairly ho-hum.

Of course having PSVR sure helps alleviate that for me at least.

Yup, Xbox definitely lacks Japanese support and probably a Third Person Narrative led game or two and an RPG (next gen they'll have that genre on lockdown) as well but apart from that you have all sorts: FPS, TPS, Open World, Shared World, Racing Sim, Open World Racer, RTS, Platformers, Family Games etc all coming from first party projects. And if you think of Game Pass as being central to all of their pland for next gen it's only going to get more varied with the new studios and new partners. Its easier to ignore all of that and just say Xbox has no games though :)

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
I'm just going to put this out there. And I know alot of people aren't going to like what I have to say, and that's cool. But this is the classic Underdog story. And people LOVE to root for an underdog.

All those years while the gaming community was slamming MS for practically any and everything, they effectively put MS in the corner to sink or swim. Well, MS decided to swim - despite many thinking they were just going to throw in the towel and become a 3rd party publisher. According to the internet, things were looking dire for the Xbox brand.

Phil and company got focused and made some very, very smart decisions to bring the brand back from a really bad situation. It took time but they've made it happen. Now, Xbox is on the upswing and people admire that. They admire when someone/thing comes back from almost certain annihilation or defeat, and suddenly start making changes to correct the course in a positive direction. That's the very definition of an Underdog - and its exactly whats happening at Microsoft.

I only state this because this is probably the 3rd or 4th article or report I've seen where Microsoft/Xbox are being applauded for their efforts. I agree with most points in the article, btw. Next gen Xbox is looking all kinds of Niki Minaj right now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Kotaku occasionally has some great, journalistic articles by Shreier and some others, but man do they post a lot of click bait garbage like this or shit that should just be on a personal blog like that recent post about the staffer accidentally buying Mario Party instead of Smash.