• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As sophomore slumps go, the Nintendo Switch's wasn't so bad.

When the Switch burst onto the scene in 2017, it could seemingly do no wrong. It was the new kid on the block: young and cool, with an air of mystery and excitement. So it goes with most new game consoles. In 2018, Switch hit the ol' sophomore slump, with lesser games and ports filling its lineup as we continue to wait for the next batch of all-new megahits. This, too, is typical of consoles. While the Switch didn't have many home runs in 2018, it did have some doubles and triples.

How do you follow up a year in which new Zelda and Mario games were not only met with critical acclaim, but were widely considered to have radically reinvented their series for the better? If you're Nintendo, you follow it up with, well, a lot of Wii U ports and less-ambitious sequels. Until the one-two punch of Pokémon and Smash at the very end of the year, that is.

There are now over 1,400 games on the Switch, from indie darlings to the biggest triple-A productions. Which is good, because Nintendo's output for the year hasn't been especially consistent.

This year's most anticipated Nintendo games—Super Mario Party, Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee and Pikachu, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate—all came out in the last three months of 2018. Up to that point, big Nintendo titles had been middling. After an explosive 2017 in which Nintendo fired off Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey in rapid succession, the bulk of 2018 was less AAA and more single-A, if not B, games.

All in all, 2018 wasn't a huge year for first-party Switch games, except for the last few months.

Trickling through the spaces between those bigger games was a steady flow of ports. There were so many it was almost comical, saturating the Switch store with incredible indie and AAA games from years past. Big-budget games from Diablo III to Dragon Ball FighterZ to Fortnite to Warframeto Dark Souls all landed on the Switch, most of the time with technically solid ports. Yet while the Switch store is expanding into all sorts of genres, it's giving a new audience access to competitive titles without giving them the same competitive edge as peers on, say, PC. It's always going to be harder to master a fighting game like Dragon Ball FighterZ or a shooter like Fortnite on a handheld console, and especially when that handheld console doesn't have a LAN adapter built in.

Switch Online is Nintendo's first paid online service, and optimistic Switch owners hoped that that if Nintendo was going to charge for an online service, they might do a better job with it than they had in the past. No such luck. The Switch's online service still failed to let people easily connect and play each other. It doesn't let you send messages to your friends through the Switch. You can't hook up a mic. If you want to link up with your friends for a round of Smash, you're going to have to organize yourselves on Discord or another outside app. In other words, Switch Online kinda sucks, and the fact that it's only $20 instead of $60 doesn't fully mitigate that.

Currently, Nintendo has attached 2019 release dates to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Yoshi's Crafted World, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and of course the next core Pokémon game. Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 don't have release dates yet, but either or both could make it into 2019. And with Nintendo of America's top exec all but confirming that we'll see games from more of Nintendo's classic consoles arrive on Switch Online's library, hopefully that'll also happen sooner rather than later. We'd love to start playing Super NES, Nintendo 64, and (dare we dream?) Game Boy games on our Switches.

Even though Switch is succeeding with core gamers, Nintendo has yet to land a Switch version of the casual-friendly, money-making megahits it had with Wii Fit or Wii Music. There's a lot of money in those casual gamers, so look for Nintendo to throw a few more lines into that deep blue ocean in 2019. However that fishing expedition turns out, Nintendo's 2019 lineup doesn't seem like it'll leave anyone with much to complain about.

---

SOURCE

Unlike their PlayStation article which I heavily disagree with, I don't find much to complain for the Switch one. The year was a step down from 2017 on the whole, and I wish it hadn't been, but all said and done, it wasn't half bad, I am happy with how it went, and next year looks great.

Oct 25, 2017
I think 2018 being so slow and right after nintendo's Best year made it feel quite a bit worse than those Wii U years.
Been unexcited for Nintendo's short term future since e3, just waiting for at least the announcement of something big.

Nintendo dropped the ball first party-wise. Outside of fewer titles, there weren't any standouts till fall.
2017's smaller titles like Splatoon 2 and ARMs still felt a lot bigger and better than the likes of Mario Tennis and Super Mario Party.

Mario Odyssey and BOTW were both "don't die till you play these" kind of games, 2018 had nothing like that for me.

Indies were pretty good, however.
Celeste and Hollowknight were incredible, top 4 indies games of all time for me. The messenger and Wandersong were a great time as well.

Found myself playing Fortnite...an obscene amount of Fortnite. A fun experience I hadn't had before. Used voice chat seriously for the first time, got pretty good at it.

On top of everything, I've been suffering from burnout since summer.
The longest I've ever had, likely thanks to a mix of buying way too many games and not being excited for anything coming in the horizon.

So overall, I understand that not every year can be a 2017. But I hope Nintendo doesn't have a 2018 for a long time, and that the quality of 2017 wasn't just a fluke.

Really hope 2019 is good, I kind of need it myself.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking from my perspective only, it had been a fairly weak year in terms of software.

I don't think I've bought a single game that came out in Switch in 2018. It's honestly a little disheartening browsing through the store because almost everything looks like it's made for a mobile game. Not a big fan of the first party/exclusives either (yes even Smash).

I'm interested in getting super Mario bros u (is that what it's called?) and luigis mansion in 2019 though so next year is already looking better.

And while I don't care too much about media apps such as Netflix it was fairly disappointing considering the only big thing we got this year was youtube =/

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
"The biggest game in the universe dropped on Switch this year but with some carefully placed words I can move the goalposts to wherever I want!".

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much only used my Switch for Smash this year. I played maybe a few hours of Hollow Knight? Pretty anemic year for me.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
As a Wii U owner, I'm laughing my ass off about this year being slow. It didn't have a huge AAA tentpole game in spring this year, but it had great exclusives, including octopath traveler in July and is ending on a huge rush to 2019, all this while it say 2 of its 2018 games delayed to 2019 in fire emblem and Yoshi.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm lucky that I love replaying games, cause I thought this year was fantastic. I bought about 30 games this year I think (I'll have to check to see the actual number later) but some of the standouts for me were Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 (which I know came out last year but I bought it this year), Celeste, Bayonetta 1+2, Hyrule Warriors DE, Hollow Knight (my GotY), Octopath Traveler, Undertale, Dark Souls, Diablo 3 and of course Pokemon and Smash.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
As a Wii U owner, I'm laughing my ass off about this year being slow. It didn't have a huge AAA tentpole game in spring this year, but it had great exclusives, including octopath traveler in July and is ending on a huge rush to 2019, all this while it say 2 of its 2018 games delayed to 2019 in fire emblem and Yoshi.
Same here, remember early 2013?
What a shitshow that was,
VC games at 30cts as an excuse for nothing to play and the biggest release? Lego City openworld game!
I mean I like the game but a game like that wouldn't register on Switch release schedule at all.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My switch was basically a hyrule warriors and Torna machine this year. Can't think of another system I've ever had that I used this little in a year. I even stopped playing smash after less than 2 hours because of how boring it was.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much only used my Switch for Smash this year. I played maybe a few hours of Hollow Knight? Pretty anemic year for me.
It's on you that you didn't play celest or octopath traveler, or dead cells, or the messenger. And if you didn't own a wii u like half the people who own a switch, you had access to tropical freeze and bayonetta 1&2, as well as hyrule warriors. This isn't a bad year for any console, just not as crazy as 2017 was.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Agree with comments about online and 1st party output.

Wii fit was a megahit. They use wii music as the other example?? Wut.

2019 needs more first party sp aaa. No question.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My switch was basically a hyrule warriors and Torna machine this year. Can't think of another system I've ever had that I used this little in a year. I even stopped playing smash after less than 2 hours because of how boring it was.

Why was Smash boring for you? It's an amazing game and we all knew what it was going to be like before launch.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I think 2018 being so slow and right after nintendo's Best year made it feel quite a bit worse than those Wii U years.
Been unexcited for Nintendo's short term future since e3, just waiting for at least the announcement of something big.

Nintendo dropped the ball first party-wise. Outside of fewer titles, there weren't any standouts till fall.
2017's smaller titles like Splatoon 2 and ARMs still felt a lot bigger and better than the likes of Mario Tennis and Super Mario Party.

Mario Odyssey and BOTW were both "don't die till you play these" kind of games, 2018 had nothing like that for me.

Indies were pretty good, however.
Celeste and Hollowknight were incredible, top 4 indies games of all time for me. The messenger and Wandersong were a great time as well.

Found myself playing Fortnite...an obscene amount of Fortnite. A fun experience I hadn't had before. Used voice chat seriously for the first time, got pretty good at it.

On top of everything, I've been suffering from burnout since summer.
The longest I've ever had, likely thanks to a mix of buying way too many games and not being excited for anything coming in the horizon.

So overall, I understand that not every year can be a 2017. But I hope Nintendo doesn't have a 2018 for a long time, and that the quality of 2017 wasn't just a fluke.

Really hope 2019 is good, I kind of need it myself.
Well 2019 is looking pretty damn good between Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing and mainline Pokémon. Those three already make a better year than 2018 imo (not counting smash here, since it released so late)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much only played Picross and Hollow Knight this year on Switch. Can't say I didn't get a lot of hours of enjoyment though

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
2018 was great for me. I never played Donkey Kong TP so that was a great experience. Hollow Knight is my game of the year, Smash is excellent and stuff like Diablo 3, Cities Skylines and Civ6 added a lot of variaty. I guess for people who game
On multiple consoles you could say that Nintendo's output has been pretty bad, but for people like me who dont have time to play everhthing its been great.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone had no WiiU before 2018 had many great games, from Bayonetta 2 to Captain Toad.

And third party games like Diablo 3, Wolfenstein 2, Dark Souls etc. filled the gaps. Along with many great "Indie" games.

It was not the best year first party wise, depending in your preferences, but software wise it was a very good year.

2018 on Switch is not even remotely comparable to the worst WiiU years.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why was Smash boring for you? It's an amazing game and we all knew what it was going to be like before launch.

I don't play online (couldn't if I wanted to, I'm not paying Nintendo for that) and the single player is extremely dull. It's mostly around collecting spirits which have very little point to them outside of "oooh it's that character!" and feels almost like a gacha system. Everything about that setup rubs me the wrong way. Basically there's not enough interesting content there.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The year did feel a little slower than the previous as far as releases, but Switch is still easily my most played console since it launched and I'd actually say for some reason I may have played it more this year than last. Any indie games that I wanted to play this year I was playing on Switch, and I cleaned up some games I've been wanting to play in their black friday sales too. So chipping away at some games here and there throughout the year waiting primarily for Smash (I also enjoyed the hell out of Super Mario Party and to a bit of a lesser extent Aces) felt like a great year for my type of lifestyle. At this point it kind of annoys me playing a game on any other console.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I can't complain. Don't remember any instance where I didn't have something to play on my Switch. And I still haven't touched games like Octopath Traveler, Torna and Pokemon.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't play online (couldn't if I wanted to, I'm not paying Nintendo for that) and the single player is extremely dull. It's mostly around collecting spirits which have very little point to them outside of "oooh it's that character!" and feels almost like a gacha system. Everything about that setup rubs me the wrong way. Basically there's not enough interesting content there.

Fair enough even though I entirely disagree.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Switch Online is Nintendo's first paid online service, and optimistic Switch owners hoped that that if Nintendo was going to charge for an online service, they might do a better job with it than they had in the past. No such luck. The Switch's online service still failed to let people easily connect and play each other. It doesn't let you send messages to your friends through the Switch. You can't hook up a mic. If you want to link up with your friends for a round of Smash, you're going to have to organize yourselves on Discord or another outside app. In other words, Switch Online kinda sucks, and the fact that it's only $20 instead of $60 doesn't fully mitigate that.

I'm glad this is getting called out more by major outlets

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If I had bought my Switch last year this would have been an absolutely barren year for me. This year I've played Mario Kart 8, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Kirby Star Allies, Pokemon Let's Go, and Smash. Take out those first three and this year has been a wasteland. Like, I literally would have played ONE game on the Switch until mid-November. Now that I've caught up I'm starting to get a little concerned. Outside of Luigi's Mansion 3 and Yoshi's Crafted World, there's nothing else on the horizon for me.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Wii Music was a "money-making megahit"...?

I was puzzled by that line as well. Wii Sports for sure, but I remember Wii Music being met with less fanfare than LABO. It never really interested me, so it could just be my memory that is wrong.

I don't think the Switch will ever have a Wii Sports equivalent, but it is showing that it can have a handful of successful games each year and a couple of those are major hits. I think that is better than the Wii having its one big hit.

Edit: Wii Music Wiki

As of March 2009, Wii Music has sold 2.65 million copies worldwide.

I'd hardly call that a mega hit, much less put it in the same breath as Wii Sports...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The Spirits Board might be a little gacha-esque but World of Light has absolutely no gacha elements at all.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that's pretty much how I feel. it wasn't 2017 (though what is) but it was good. lots of great multiplats (Celeste. 'nuff said) and if there were ever a game to end the year with a bang on it's Smash Bros. Ultimate. we got some nice expansions with Splatoon 2's Octo Expansion (the best single player content in the series and one of the best shooter campaigns of all time) and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna and Octopath Traveler is just fantastic (shouts to Jason Schreier). honestly the only thing bad about 2018 is that it was in the shadow of 2017.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree with this. Good year, not great. Next year should be better. I still got a ton of use out of my Switch. I think my GOTY is either Hollow Knight or Celeste, both of which I played on the Switch. I definitely kept myself busy all year and I still have a backlog. I'm going to have to be more selective next year because this backlog is getting out of control.

Deleted member 17630

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I barely used my Switch at all this year which is a shame especially since I had a Wii U and had already played those games but 2019 looks absolutely insane. It's almost like they're pulling a 2017 and putting out a game a month would be awesome.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Speaking from my perspective only, it had been a fairly weak year in terms of software.

I don't think I've bought a single game that came out in Switch in 2018. It's honestly a little disheartening browsing through the store because almost everything looks like it's made for a mobile game. Not a big fan of the first party/exclusives either (yes even Smash).

I'm interested in getting super Mario bros u (is that what it's called?) and luigis mansion in 2019 though so next year is already looking better.

And while I don't care too much about media apps such as Netflix it was fairly disappointing considering the only big thing we got this year was youtube =/

Give them a chance man. I felt I was in the same boat, but Nintendo games are really fun.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
A few months ago, saying that Nintendo was having a bad year first party wise was called concerned trolling; nice to see that it eventually became the paradigm.

Yes, Nintendo's 2018 was underwhelming to say the least, especially if you are not a smash fan or a Pokemon fan.

Ports are really nice to have, especially from quality games like Donkey Kong. But Nintendo used them to pad a bad lineup, and for that only, I hope that they'll miss their sales target for this year.

Moreover, the few first party titles were actually disappointing and often felt rushed; there's no way Kirby couldn't have been 60fps with those visuals. Mario tennis severely lacked content. The same has been said for Mario party, though I didn't play the game.
Torna and the Octo expansion we their 2 strongest original games until November in my view; it's quite telling that both are DLCs.

I felt that the market has been unfair with Labo which was a great concept, far more deserving to be successful than many of the previous casual offerings from Nintendo.

Third party wise, a disappointing year overall. Some big games released, for sure, but most were (very) old ports and besides square with Octopath, no third party seemed to be willing to develop original content for the switch. Worse, some games that should absolutely not skip the switch such as god eater 3, code vein or Sekiro, are actually still skipping it. I really hope that things will get better in 2019, because so far it feels like a huge missed opportunity.

Then, there's the indies. For me, they completely redeemed the year 2018 just by themselves. Incredible releases, and since hollow Knight, things are actually accelerating!!
Overall, I have really mixed feelings for the switch's 2018. On one hand, I feel it had a dreadful year due to the disappointing releases first and third party wise. On the other hand, I had one of the best years of my gaming life just on the back of all these incredible independent games released in the past few months. What matters in the end is how much fun I have with a console, and in that regard, 2018 was great. So yeah, amazing year for me, but certainly not thanks to Nintendo nor the traditional third party studios.

I'm still buying an xbox early next year, there are too many games which skip the switch.

Edit: i forgot to mention that poor excuse of an online service. For that as well, I hope that Nintendo misses its sales target this year. They can't get away with it.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I thought the year was great. I'm making my way through oxenfree and undertale now. Just spent a few days with a friend playing his copy of smash, I'll probablg get that over the holidays when I'm with family since i don't play online and wouldn't play smash single player, but for local multi it's probably the biggest release of the year. I still need to get overcooked 2 for the holidays with my family as well. I just downloaded katamari damacy last night since I'm about to take a 9 hour train ride today and multiple long flights over the next week. Haven't finished octopath but put 50 hours or so into it, hope to clear it at some point. Hollow knight was incredible, put over 50 hours into that as well... yes these games are mostly on other systems but it doesn't make them not incredible games and it doesn't make the switches year bad. There are way too many amazing games to play imo, ive got no time for everything I wanna play.

And that doesn't even get into the hardware which remains fucking awesome and just fun to hold and play. Beats the everloving shit out of the ergonomic disaster that was the 3ds.

If you want a stationary console that streams movies and plays games that want to be movies then switch ain't for you, but if you just wanna play games, on your own terms, switch is where it's at.

Nov 8, 2017
Every year is a bad year if you don't like some of the major games.

For me it wasn't too bad, although there was of course less exciting tent-pole releases that I was looking forward to. I still played a ton though overall especially compared to PS4 and XBO. Like I probably played 2x as much as both of those systems combined.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the year was great. I'm making my way through oxenfree and undertale now. Just spent a few days with a friend playing his copy of smash, I'll probablg get that over the holidays when I'm with family since i don't play online and wouldn't play smash single player, but for local multi it's probably the biggest release of the year. I still need to get overcooked 2 for the holidays with my family as well. I just downloaded katamari damacy last night since I'm about to take a 9 hour train ride today and multiple long flights over the next week. Haven't finished octopath but put 50 hours or so into it, hope to clear it at some point. Hollow knight was incredible, put over 50 hours into that as well... yes these games are mostly on other systems but it doesn't make them not incredible games and it doesn't make the switches year bad. There are way too many amazing games to play imo, ive got no time for everything I wanna play.

And that doesn't even get into the hardware which remains fucking awesome and just fun to hold and play. Beats the everloving shit out of the ergonomic disaster that was the 3ds.

If you want a stationary console that streams movies and plays games that want to be movies then switch ain't for you, but if you just wanna play games, on your own terms, switch is where it's at.

Well said! Most of my favorite games I played this year are available on other platforms but that really doesn't matter to me when the portability is so vital in actually affording me time to play games.

Also finish Undertale and get the best ending, it's so damn good.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well said! Most of my favorite games I played this year are available on other platforms but that really doesn't matter to me when the portability is so vital in actually affording me time to play games

Most of my game time is on airplanes and I don't even own a tv because I'm never home. I wish every console was a hybrid, I wanna play shenmue and last guardian and Ori and I just can't justify buying hardware that is so inflexible. Anyway that's not exactly on topic, but yea, being multiplatform doesn't make the game less worth playing. Switch got shitloads of great games this year, I'll never catch up.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I got Bayonetta, Kirby, Hyrule Warriors, DK, Hollow Knight, Octopath, Starlink, Mario Party, Diablo 3 and Smash. In my opinion that was a killer lineup.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Pretty much - to be honest I was still fairly occupied in 2018 and though nothing hit the highs of Zelda and Mario, I still had a lot of fun with things like Octopath, DKC:TF, Bayonetta 2, Hollow Knight, Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, Pokemon Let's Go, and even Kirby Star Allies. And Smash is just perfect. In fact I probably had more to do in 2018 than 2017, but half the things I played were not Switch exclusives, one was an expansion of a 2017 game (I still want to get Torna also which would also be a 2017 game expansion), and Octopath was the only really meaty single player story-based experience, and it was not as good as Zelda/Mario/Xenoblade (or even LA Noire for that matter, which I played for the first time on Switch). Really wasn't a bad year, I just wouldn't want too many more like it.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this article seems fine. I think the problem with the last one is that they simply didn't like the style of games that made it such a big year for PlayStation 4. Which is fine.

For me it's been an okay year on Switch, but 2019 really does look incredible.

Just the sheer number of FF games coming out is going to make the difference to me. Plus Animal Crossong, NSMB, Pokemon. I suspect we'll see Skyrim Sword HD too and I wouldn't be surprised if we got Metroid Prime Trology (I don't think we'll get 4 though). Plus I've never tried Fire Emblem. It's looking like an awesome year 3.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
1400 games in 2 years isn't necessarily a good thing. Any semblance of quality control and curation have been thrown out the window.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a working list of games coming for the switch in 2019?

I don't think this is complete and some of the stuff (Like Doom Eternal) isn't 100% confirmed for 2019 yet but:

A07LY5Q.jpg

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Enjoyed 2018 so far with it. got it in February with breath of the wild. I got hollow knight. (not a big fan) axiom verge, blaster master zero, Diablo 3 and a couple of other games. I got the best use of it. some of the games were repurchase after owning them on PC, since i rather play these games in undock mode rather than sitting at my pc. The device got me back into console, shame i cant convince myself to buy other consoles after owning a gaming PC.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with the article. I only got a Switch earlier this year so my perspective might be skewed but some of the best experiences I've had were with games/DLC released this year.

I think the biggest disappointment for me has been NSO, especially its meagre classic game selection. I still haven't had a reason to subscribe for it, enjoying local multiplayer Smash Bros. instead.