• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With today's launch of Overwatch on Nintendo Switch, there is officially a worst way to play one of the best games of all time.

There are a lot of sub-optimal things about this port. The timing is inopportune, for one. Overwatch is landing on Switch three and a half years after its original release, and on the tail end of a controversy surrounding its publisher, Blizzard. While the Switch has become a veritable port vacuum, it's difficult to imagine the game's target demographic—the sort of person who slept this long on the massively popular team shooter, but is excited enough to try it out on the one console least likely to showcase all the things that made it popular.

Overwatch is about coordination, strategy, accuracy, and positioning. A lot of games are, but Overwatch is an addictive, mind-stretching cocktail of these things in perfect ratio. Unfortunately, the Switch isn't a great console for online competitive gaming. You have to use a mobile app for voice chat, for starters. Unless you've got a LAN adapter and a Pro controller and you're playing in docked mode, it can be tricky to summon the accuracy and timing necessary to best enemies. Even for people who enjoy playing competitive games casually, these minor technical hiccups can make a relaxing gameplay session frustrating. Overwatch is not immune to this.

On the Switch, Overwatch runs at 30 frames per second.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I was curious about this port, but all interest somehow died over the last week.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Just put the money you would have used to buy Overwatch on Switch towards The Witcher 3 Switch instead.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a pretty weird article, honestly. Picks up on a bunch of things inherent to the switch that we knew at launch and adds...not much else.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Is it just me, or people insisting wifi is unusable for gaming in 2019 living on a different planet than me?

Do they just keep their service provider's shitty router and never spend money for a real one? What gives?

Yeah, didn't want to derail this thread too much but still voice displeasure at their shit handling of the situation.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I mean... Isn't this expected for Switch ports? How can it not handle this game?

Deleted member 18179

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or people insisting wifi is unsable for gaming in 2019 living on a different planet than me?

Do they just keep their service provider's shitty router and never spend money for a real one? What gives?

Yeah, didn't want to derail this thread too much but still voice displeasure at their shit handling of the situation.

There is a real, observable difference between a hardline on a 1ms monitor vs. wifi on a TV, but I'm with you. Wifi and a TV is suitable for 97% of the gaming public.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or people insisting wifi is unsable for gaming in 2019 living on a different planet than me?

Definitely. It's fine. Seems like making up criticism to me.

We knew all of this, though.

Also Overwatch supports native voice chat on the Switch, did she not test for that?

I heard that it does, them missing that doesn't shock me given the rest of the article though.

Oh well, at least the article wasn't child hentai this time.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The article is not very well researched. In fact it seems the author never really played the game, just invented a clickbait headline and made up content afterwards.

Kotaku is really going downwards in the last two years, its a shame.

Free Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
On the Switch, Overwatch runs at 30 frames per second. Playing for a couple of hours today on both my brand new Overwatch Switch controller and some brand new Joy-Cons, I noticed some minor to severe lag when shooting McCree's pistol or Sigma's rocks at opponents, which often led me to miss. (Note for Pharah mains: The skies are clear!)

I think the most interesting part is that it has severe dips during shooting sections and motion controls are ass to the writer.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
On the Switch, Overwatch runs at 30 frames per second.

An afront to the gaming pantheon more than any other before it! Should this heresy be allowed to continue the entire empire could collapse. Children, screaming in the streets as their eyes bleed from the inability to cope with seeing something so horrifying. Adults, asking why such a horrid thing could ever exist while rightfully avoiding and condemning it.

How, how could such a tragedy ever befall this noble landscape? Have our thoughts and prayers going up to the framerate and IQ gods been unheard... How have they not intervened! Could those so called gaming gods just be mortal inventions?

Nov 23, 2017
An afront to the gaming pantheon more than any other before it. Should this heresy be allowed to continue the entire empire could collapse. Children, screaming in the streets as their eyes bleed from the inability to cope with seeing something so horrifying. Adults, asking why such a horrid thing could ever exist while rightfully avoiding and condemning it.

How, how could such a tragedy ever befall this noble landscape. Has our thoughts and prayers going up to the framerate and IQ gods been unheard... How have they not intervened! Could those gods just be mortal inventions?
Where were you in Link's Awakening threads? Got a laugh out of me. You would think that Nintendo murdered someone's first born in half of those threads.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This kind of makes me want to buy it more lol. Not having to deal with voice chat is perfect for me, I never play MP stuff because I don't have the tolerance for that toxic stuff anymore.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Yeah. Only genre I don't play over WiFi is Fighting Games

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I think the most interesting part is that it has severe dips during shooting sections and motion controls are ass to the writer.

Lag, not dips. Lag could happen for any number of reasons.

And there's plenty of hands on impressions and even videos out there of people using the motion controls and saying they're really good.

I'm filing this one under ignore for now, but will give the game a go tomorrow to see.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Where were you in Link's Awakening threads? Got a laugh out of me. You would think that Nintendo murdered someone's first born in half of those threads.

Avoided them for the most part wasn't intending to get it until it was randomly gifted to me. Played through it beginning to end with most of the side content and came out unscathed and thinking it was an amazing, albeit short, game.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Is it just me, or people insisting wifi is unusable for gaming in 2019 living on a different planet than me?

I always assumed it was an American thing. I've never had a wired connection, I wouldn't even consider it. I've never had a problem in the however many years this gen has been.

It's probably some made up #Gamer™ bullshit, like crying about framerates.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Lag, not dips. Lag could happen for any number of reasons.

And there's plenty of hands on impressions and even videos out there of people using the motion controls and saying they're really good.

I'm filing this one under ignore for now, but will give the game a go tomorrow to see.
Motions controls have a learning curve.

I give zero credence to the media when they talk about motion controls after all their arguments they made up to say that the wiimote had inferior accuracy and responsiveness when compared to dual analogs.

Last edited:

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Motions controls have a learning curve.

I give zero credence to the media when they talk about motion controls after all their argument they made up to say that the wiimote had inferior accuracy and responsiveness when compared to dual analogs.

Yeah, definitely. I'll probably use the Splatoon style option for this though. The ideal way to play for me is analogue for sweeping movements, motion controls for fine tuning. After awhile, you can keep a reticule over a characters head in a way you never could with sticks.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The issue generally isn't one's own WiFi being shitty. It's being stuck in a lot of laggy matches in online Switch games because so many other people are on shitty WiFi. Be it bad home setups, people trying to play on bad hotel or bar/restaruant/cafe WiFi etc.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Motion controls are a huge win for this port, but it running at 30fps killed any curiosity I would have had for this.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some positive reactions that totally differ to the one in this article:

It's not a bad port... at all. Don't know why they say the Switch can't handle it.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I think it's mostly a holdover opinion from shitty wifi routers people had 20 years ago.

That said, since the Switch is portable there's probably a bunch more people playing on shitty wifi at MacDonalds or whereever.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
30 fps for Overwatch would be the deal breaker for me if I was contemplating getting this game in the Switch. The rest of those are whatever.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Eh, I understand being critical of Blizzard right now but that is a poor headline with some of the info inside being not very factual. And while I agree it's not the best version of the game, saying the Switch can't handle it is ridiculous imo.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Played almost 3 hours today and had a blast. Voice chat is there and I promptly disabled it. Motion controls feel good, and the framerate seems solid.

"Can't handle" would suggest that the Switch literally cannot run it, or to an adequate degree. While 30fps might be an issue for some, the game is still plenty playable.

The major issue IMO is the controversy.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Based on other previews I've seen, that's weird, I agree that the timing is bad for all those reasons (the Hong Kong stuff and the game's age), but other than that, it sounds like a good port. The article sounds like the author didn't want to praise it because Blizzard is not in a good place for that right now so she found a way to do that.

I was interested in playing it but I'm boycotting everything Blizzard because of the whole China situation.

Wifi on the Switch is pretty bad, I have to keep it close to the router to be able to get a decent signal. That said, never had any problems playing Splatoon 2 but constantly having problems playing Smash so I guess it depends a lot on the game's implementation.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
No cross progression really killed my interest in this one. If they ever get around to adding that I'll have another look though

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The article implies the audience is only people who haven't played Overwatch, which isn't really the case. I've had PC Overwatch since launch and was probably going to pick this up if it weren't for, uh, recent events.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
The headline was harsher than where the article ended. It sounded like, by the end, that the Switch version is fine for casual play but not where you should go for the best experience, which I think is what everyone would realistically hope for from this port. Reading that the author got a gaming PC for Overwatch, I think the author's perspective and experience won't match most people's. I should say that it appeared to me that the article (based on skimming) was fairly open, and mostly the headline is just a little extreme.