• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
30 fps is bad apparently. Did people not play Halo competitively or was that a fever dream I had for close to a decade?

Competitive Overwatch players, even those who don't play professionally, play the game at 144 fps on PC. I am not an Overwatch player but everyone I know who does play even slightly seriously laughs out loud when I ask them about the 30 fps Switch version. They wouldn't be interested even at 60. FPS games don't do 30 anymore, just like movies aren't 720p anymore and Youtube isn't a postage stamp anymore. Halo 3 is not relevant to the conversation.

The Switch port is for the most casual of FPS fans and/or the most hardcore of "only play things on Switch" devotees. If you've played Overwatch on any other platform it's a major step down, for no real advantage.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All triple-A current-gen games that came to Switch run with enormous compromises, often with half the framerate (see Doom or Overwatch here), with enormous downgrades (see The Witcher 3) or with a lack of important game modes and elements (see FIFA). Hell, even a lot of last-gen games like Saints Row 3 or Red Faction run rather poorly. It is what it is, I'll still take that over prior Nintendo handhelds not even being able to run PS2 games with their weak hardware and small screens. Obviously this game running at 30fps and being a bit of a confusing mess (especially with how the Joy-Cons aren't a good fit for shooters) doesn't help, but it's been quite predictable once the hardware was revealed that multiplayer games and open world titles in particular will suffer immensely. Definitely makes it hard to jump into the portable version if you're used to the real deal.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Competitive Overwatch players, even those who don't play professionally, play the game at 144 fps on PC. I am not an Overwatch player but everyone I know who does play even slightly seriously laughs out loud when I ask them about the 30 fps Switch version. They wouldn't be interested even at 60. FPS games don't do 30 anymore, just like movies aren't 720p anymore and Youtube isn't a postage stamp anymore. Halo 3 is not relevant to the conversation.

The Switch port is for the most casual of FPS fans and/or the most hardcore of "only play things on Switch" devotees. If you've played Overwatch on any other platform it's a major step down, for no real advantage.
Are you truly that confused by people liking different things?

Oh, you KNOW people and ASKED everyone you know who's played overwatch before? somehow that negates people's opinions in this thread who do the same thing?

I also play overwatch 144hz on pc, i play it 60hz sometimes on my laptop too. Ill play it 30fps on switch when i get around to getting it. It's a different experience, yes, but whogivesashitharrisonford.gif

It's a portable console, has a fun plus of havin gyro. That works for me and others, go away.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
" [Update—8:30 pm ET]: Kotaku has removed a line about how several Switch games require an app for in-game voice chat because it was not clear that Overwatch, unlike others, has integrated voice chat. " Did the writer even play the game?

Dear fuck this is blatant. Why do switch ports of higher demanding games always have to go through this process from people that won't even play the game?

Kotaku out here looking like a random poster here on ERA.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wife and I played last night and we had voice chat and it played pretty amazing with gyro controls o_o

i got no idea what they is on about.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku is essentially a super hardcore OW fansite (though they finally started stepping off it a bit)

so in context a 'sky is blue' article, of course the switch port won't ring in that demographic

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
It works just fine, surprisingly well, in fact. Not sure what Kotaku is going on about.

Incidentally, CDKeys is selling an EU download code for the Legendary Edition at a 33% off right now. Got mine this morning for £23. Sweet :)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, as much as people are saying "The sky is blue", sometimes it's good to remind people.

With games like Overwatch and Witcher 3 coming out on the Switch, people need to set their expectations to a point where they can enjoy those games on that console, they need to know that it won't be as good, and portable will be worse.

The amount of people I remind on a fairly regular basis that Portable is worse on the switch really made this click for me.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
lol

[Update—8:30 pm ET]: Kotaku has removed a line about how several Switch games require an app for in-game voice chat because it was not clear that Overwatch, unlike others, has integrated voice chat.

Seems like they joined a game, saw it was 30fps, closed the game, angrily started typing a biased review.

Kotaku hasn't been much hot these days.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, as much as people are saying "The sky is blue", sometimes it's good to remind people.

With games like Overwatch and Witcher 3 coming out on the Switch, people need to set their expectations to a point where they can enjoy those games on that console, they need to know that it won't be as good, and portable will be worse.

The amount of people I remind on a fairly regular basis that Portable is worse on the switch really made this click for me.
As if people would somehow expect Switch to be on PS4/XBO hardware level nearly 3 years after its launch. Come on - dont kid yourself. The facts are all there - we know it runs at 30fps, there is plenty of gameplay footage out there and the included features.

You really think anyone interested in Overwatch or browsing/following a site like Kotaku needs such an article to know that Overwatch on Switch wont be superior to the more power console version ? Whats even worse is they seem to think that the game running in 30fps means that its not worthwhile at all - which doesnt make alot of sense.

Just like Sterling posted - negativity will always result in more clicks and traffic, especially when you can be so ignorant about it.
Seems like they joined a game, saw it was 30fps, closed the game, angrily started typing a biased review.

Kotaku hasn't been much hot these days.
Have a hard time believing this one.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
To the surprise of no one a 30 fps online shooter feels bad to play. Add in the majority of Switch users playing off wifi and you have a problems all round (the game heavily favors the shooter). Considering this game runs excellently on pretty much every other device I can't see why you'd take this version.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile Paladins runs at 60fps on the Switch.
To me, they just didn't care enough to bring the settings low enough for a solid 60fps. It's not like Overwatch is a demanding game.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is not a great place for most competitive games, and I say that as a huge Switch fan. I'm a pretty hardcore Rocket League player with a ton of time on PS4 and PC but it only took me a few hours on the Switch to realize that version just wasn't going to cut it. There are just too many compromises that affect mid to high level play.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
As if people would somehow expect Switch to be on PS4/XBO hardware level nearly 3 years after its launch. Come on - dont kid yourself. The facts are all there - we know it runs at 30fps, there is plenty of gameplay footage out there and the included features.

You really think anyone interested in Overwatch or browsing/following a site like Kotaku needs such an article to know that Overwatch on Switch wont be superior to the more power console version ? Whats even worse is they seem to think that the game running in 30fps means that its not worthwhile at all - which doesnt make alot of sense.

Just like Sterling posted - negativity will always result in more clicks and traffic, especially when you can be so ignorant about it.

Have a hard time believing this one.
A lot of people do, most of us don't because we sit on a video game forum all day and understand this stuff, but the average consumer expects a game to run the same across all consoles and better on PC.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people do, most of us don't because we sit on a video game forum all day and understand this stuff, but the average consumer expects a game to run the same across all consoles and better on PC.

The "average consumer" who reads Kotaku, knows and cares about Overwatch and owns a Switch - doesnt know that the Switch (a portable/tablet) cant compete hardware-wise with PS4/XBO/PC ? In 2019 ? Come on....

Next you are gonna tell me that you need to be 24/7 on Era to know that most games will look and/or perform better on a PS4 Pro compared to a base PS4.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The "average consumer" who reads Kotaku, knows and cares about Overwatch and owns a Switch - doesnt know that the Switch (a portable/tablet) cant compete hardware-wise with PS4/XBO/PC ? In 2019 ? Come on....

Next you are gonna tell me that you need to be 24/7 on Era to know that most games will look and/or perform better on a PS4 Pro compared to a base PS4.
Kotaku is surprisingly mainstream, most people who casually play video games get in in their google news feeds, or if you've expressed interest in overwatch.

I get that you're trying to discredit and dislike the website, but it doesn't hurt anything to let people know that "hey, this looks worse than on the Xbox One/PS4. Just because it's superfluous information to you, doesn't mean that everyone is the same.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku is surprisingly mainstream, most people who casually play video games get in in their google news feeds, or if you've expressed interest in overwatch.

I get that you're trying to discredit and dislike the website, but it doesn't hurt anything to let people know that "hey, this looks worse than on the Xbox One/PS4. Just because it's superfluous information to you, doesn't mean that everyone is the same.

Thats a fact but not really the issue with the article.
You could make a similar article for pretty much every multiplayer game and frame it negatively when you compare PC and consoles - better graphics, hardware, communities, discord, control options, mods, cheaper sw prices etc. and so on - facts that every casual gamer will know about - especially if they visit a site like Kotaku or are interested in Blizzard titles like Overwatch.

The fact that the performance of a game like Overwatch is being labeled as more or less the same between PS4/Pro/One/OneX and a Gaming PC setup in 2019 is already a joke for anyone playing this on a competitive level.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Almost everyone that plays a game competitively is going to know the difference in hardware, especially when the Switch is now in it's 3rd year. Also no console is ideal for playing games competitively. Being restricted to 60fps isn't much better.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Thats a fact but not really the issue with the article.
Then I don't see what you're complaining about?

Is it that the author found aiming difficult with the controller at 30fps? or that the motion aiming feels clunky to them, despite using it in splatoon?
Almost everyone that plays a game competitively is going to know the difference in hardware, especially when the Switch is now in it's 3rd year. Also no console is ideal for playing games competitively. Being restricted to 60fps isn't much better.
And I'm not saying about anyone who plays competitively.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just got done playing a bunch of matches in bed this morning and literally the only complaint is character models taking a long time to load when you join a match and I want more options for gyro control like only gyro when zoomed in.

Perfect port otherwise.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I question why this is 30fps when Paladins run at 60FPS and looks fantastic.
Paladins was designed with Cross-Plattform in mind and Switch being a main plattform for the game - this was designed with being a separate Eco-system on Switch so they didnt have to try as hard to reach the same kind of performance as on other systems. They knew it would be just about Switch players competing against themselves, and the audience who hasnt played OW by now would probably consist mostly of casual players who wouldnt mind playing in 30fps.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
I think an incendiary title like that should be reserved for "Can't fucking function." and not "It's a downport." It really feels manipulative. A lot of public discourse is against Blizzard (rightfully so) and this article come out trying to fan the flames and farm clicks with something that is entirely predictable and isn't a big deal.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Casual people are not going to care so much about 30fps vs 60fps then.
You'd be surprised, It kinda floats around, and casual people who bought this so they could play it portable will be upset because it's not as good as their PC/other console version.

I had a discussion yesterday about Witcher 3 being lower performace, and a few people I talked to were upset, but everyone who went in with the understanding of the switch was fine with it.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I question why this is 30fps when Paladins run at 60FPS and looks fantastic.

That was my main reason for not buying the game. Overwatch is a much bigger game than Paladins (in terms of popularity), and I would have expected a much bigger effort concerning the port. It's clearly not the case.
And now, Blizzard made it easy for me to skip the game anyway.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Eh, the article is a bit severe IMO. There is never a bad reason to bring something to Switch unless the port is REALLY poor (the attempt at WWEk218).

By most accounts, Overwatch on Switch is well done for the hardware and perfectly functional. Yes, concessions were made (resolution and FPS), but its not like you have a disadvantage on Switch, since you are basically just playing with the Switch community. Just having the option to be able to play Overwatch on a portable console (if someone wants it) is freaking awesome.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Meanwhile Paladins runs at 60fps on the Switch.
To me, they just didn't care enough to bring the settings low enough for a solid 60fps. It's not like Overwatch is a demanding game.

I dont want to say they didnt care. I do wonder though why 60fps wasnt a priority though. It stuck out to me why they went 900p docked. Woulda been the first thing to sacrafice imo for higher framerates.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I dont want to say they didnt care. I do wonder though why 60fps wasnt a priority though. It stuck out to me why they went 900p docked. Woulda been the first thing to sacrafice imo for higher framerates.
I specifically am just talking about them not caring enough to prioritize 60fps. Meanwhile their only competitor did it, looks fine and runs great on the Switch.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Hell, even a lot of last-gen games like Saints Row 3 or Red Faction run rather poorly.

Saints Row 3on switch was just a shitty port to be honest. The controls were so laggy it's almost unplayable (well if I hadnt been so determined to play it) as well as a lot of glitchy ness. It's the first game I wished I hadn't bought in a long time and that includes borderlands 2 on vita which I fully enjoyed (other words I have tolerance for stuff like bad frame rates and badly running).

I'm pretty sure the problem was not much effort put into the port vs the switch couldn't handle it.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The article is basically "I can't play FPS games on the switch".

I mean I get it - its not that great for them when handheld (and if docked I might as well use my other consoles) - but its a way to play mobile. And you can adapt.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
If there's crossplay then 30fps is a serious issue.

That being said, some complaints make me wonder where all the vocal haters were when Halo 3 was 30fps. It felt like a tight, fast-paced shooter on Xbox 360. 30fps did not stagnate its popularity at all.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article is less about the specific port quality on Switch and more how Overwatch is a game clearly designed around what the Switch isn't. I don't think it's a bad article on that sense, but the headline does set up different expectations.

Just goes to show every game isn't perfect for Switch I guess

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saints Row 3on switch was just a shitty port to be honest. The controls were so laggy it's almost unplayable (well if I hadnt been so determined to play it) as well as a lot of glitchy ness. It's the first game I wished I hadn't bought in a long time and that includes borderlands 2 on vita which I fully enjoyed (other words I have tolerance for stuff like bad frame rates and badly running).

I'm pretty sure the problem was not much effort put into the port vs the switch couldn't handle it.

You're absolutely right, but I haven't really said the Switch can't handle X360/PS3 games, but due to a different architecture and some areas where Nintendo's console struggles a bit, open world games in particularly tend to struggle a lot despite the hardware being, in theory, better than Microsoft's and Sony's last-gen offerings. Even Fortnite and Rocket League, while using Unreal Engine 4 were never particularly demanding graphics-wise and they struggled a lot initially performance-wise on Switch. It does not surprise me therefore that a chaotic current-gen multiplayer shooter like Overwatch struggles on the system, and while I expect Blizzard to iron out the performance at least partially, it's to be expected frankly that it went like this. In the end it's why I don't expect to see a Battlefield or Call Of Duty on the system, not a new one anyway: the compromises they'd have to make (low resolution, potentially lowered playercount, maybe smaller maps, pop-in, low framerate) would possibly kill the point of the games to begin with.

buset

Jul 25, 2018
I preordered it long before the HK fiasco to have something to play during breaks at work with a colleague and thought it translated extremely well to handheld. Haven't tried docked. Still bummed out by the HK things though

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
An afront to the gaming pantheon more than any other before it! Should this heresy be allowed to continue the entire empire could collapse. Children, screaming in the streets as their eyes bleed from the inability to cope with seeing something so horrifying. Adults, asking why such a horrid thing could ever exist while rightfully avoiding and condemning it.

How, how could such a tragedy ever befall this noble landscape? Have our thoughts and prayers going up to the framerate and IQ gods been unheard... How have they not intervened! Could those so called gaming gods just be mortal inventions?

First world problems indeed..

Went for a poo
Forgot my switch
Distraughtwoman.jpg

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
What a stupid title, makes it sound like the port is a mess when it's actually fine (other than 30fps, I suppose).