• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
ResetEra is easily the most user-friendly, QoL-optimized forum I have ever posted on. This would have been a worthwhile endeavor whether the old site imploded or not.

Glad to see all the familiar faces after a couple years away - I'll follow you as I find you.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if the study of internet communities is an actual scholarly pursuit, but I'd imagine there's a paper lurking in this whole event for someone.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot of delusion from the stayers.

I don't get their thought process. What made GAF, GAF is here now. Do some of them seriously not get it? Is it 4D chess level trolling?
A lot of people leftover saw some of the account suicides as negative, childish, and/or aggressive in nature. These same people also assumed (myself included) that those people were coming over here. You can't judge a whole community by what some people did on their suicides...but that is happening and is a factor as to why some are staying away. Personally, I have been sticking to my community thread here for League of Legends, and hardly ever roaming out because I feel the same way. Heck...I still post on GAF too. More than here at this time.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
A lot of people leftover saw some of the account suicides as negative, childish, and/or aggressive in nature. These same people also assumed (myself included) that those people were coming over here. You can't judge a whole community by what some people did on their suicides...but that is happening and is a factor as to why some are staying away. Personally, I have been sticking to my community thread here for League of Legends, and hardly ever roaming out because I feel the same way. Heck...I still post on GAF too. More than here at this time.

No idea if those types are here or not but moderators ain't tolerating that noise. So pop on out n say hi, we don't bite :)

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Inactive users probably built up quite a bit over time. I mostly lurked on GAF. I'm making an effort to be a lot more active here.

Same here - was a lurker on GAF but the worry of getting permabanned and the feeling that I was joining a group with all its own in jokes and memes meant I never really posted.

goldenageoftelevision

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The community at neogaf is almost gone, look at the first page or active threads ... barely posts...threads that usually would have gotten over 50 pages are now only 8 pages long

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how many people felt like that on GAF? I would have to think quite a lot.

A fair few from what I've seen on these type of threads. Have to try and keep this place open and friendly - it also didn't help that it took ages for your account to be opened on GAF so by the time you'd heard about the place, got an account and become a full member, for me around six months had passed!

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Glad to be here! Users here actually seem to look at my posts. It's probably the notification system where I can actually feel like people are replying. On GAF it would just get lost with the flow of posts.

I know exactly what you mean.

This forum is a real nice upgrade over the old place. And it was up and running in no time. Thanks to all who helped.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's quite amazing to see 90% of the people I recognize on GAF all here. Haven't seen an exodus like that since the IGN boards back in 2010.

Definitely a lot of people have left. Both gaming and off-topic are much less active than they used to be. OTs for the newest games are quite slow, especially compared to here. Hell, I can't even find the GT: Sport OT on GAF.

And the communities? Ghost towns. Even the most popular community threads only get like 10 posts a day when they used to get dozens.

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Same here - was a lurker on GAF but the worry of getting permabanned and the feeling that I was joining a group with all its own in jokes and memes meant I never really posted.
Unless your opinions were on the level of "all gays should be shot" levels of horrible & stupid and assuming you didn't go totally overboard with insulting people (I got a few temporary bans for some "fuck off"s and "fuck you, too"s...), GAF really wasn't all that triggerhappy with permabans. If you just behaved long enough to get out of junior status, permabans weren't all all that easy to get.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Unless your opinions were on the level of "all gays should be shot" levels of horrible & stupid and assuming you didn't go totally overboard with insulting people (I got a few temporary bans for some "fuck off"s and "fuck you, too"s...), GAF really wasn't all that triggerhappy with permabans. If you just behaved long enough to get out of junior status, permabans weren't all all that easy to get.

I think it was more the worry about it whilst being a Junior and, with it being 300 posts (I think) to get member status I really didn't want to lose the privilege. It's much more likely to be me and my insecurities than the actual banning, but with comments about the ban hammer being sometimes fairly prevalent it was a worry.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One disappointing thing from Evilore's cleaning of his dirty laundry in OT was I was listening to a album over the weekend and was wondering if there was a GAF thread about it so I google and there was but the thread was unviewable now.

GAF, at the very least has a decade + of people reacting to shit I kind of liked looking back at sometimes whenever I discovered a old album / TV show / movie.

I hope the old threads reappear sometime.

Swanlee

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Na Bish had a habit of culling dozens of Xbox fans when he so much as had a rough day. Really stifled that side of the community

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
One disappointing thing from Evilore's cleaning of his dirty laundry in OT was I was listening to a album over the weekend and was wondering if there was a GAF thread about it so I google and there was but the thread was unviewable now.

GAF, at the very least has a decade + of people reacting to shit I kind of liked looking back at sometimes whenever I discovered a old album / TV show / movie.

There's "requests" to reclaim or revive threads. Really weird system. I think what the scouring represents is disgusting, and personally my OT posts were pretty embarrassing so I'm glad.

Would be glad for it to come back though, to stop EL whitewashing his personal history.

Oct 27, 2017

It was all subjective and bias driven with that. I was permed for this comment (in the initial picture reveal of the silhouettes of Red Dead 2), and I will quote essentially what I said...

"I think we should hold off on accusing the developers of being sexist and the like and assuming there are no females based on a silhouette with zero information. This all wreaks of headhunting without the facts."

I received a perm with the response, "toodles" *rolleyes*

Was a long time poster and member. But I was not in the 'group think' side of that truly silly thread.

The transparency with the banning or warnings here are much improved/favored (more community building/honoring), versus the moderation tactics there. Feels more welcoming, versus the feeling of 'walking on egg shells' if you had a descending opinion to the topic, with the rogue styled tactics if one just did not like you.

A lot. I was a fairly active poster but I often held back posting things because I didn't feel apart of the "in" crowd. That's a big reason why I only ever started 1 thread.

The lack of transparency with bans lead to this mindset. A, there was no way to tell if someone was permabanned, and B, unless you dug through post histories there was no way to tell why someone got banned. Even if you did go through post history, it was often hard to tell why someone was banned. I remember going through the post history of a few banned users and being perplexed why they got banned. It also wasn't uncommon to see someone posting a thoughtful dissenting opinions get dog piled and banned.

Exactly. There would not have been mockery accounts on twitter about the moderation style, if this was not a common case, in which it surely was.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how many people felt like that on GAF? I would have to think quite a lot.

A lot. I was a fairly active poster but I often held back posting things because I didn't feel apart of the "in" crowd. That's a big reason why I only ever started 1 thread.

The lack of transparency with bans lead to this mindset. A, there was no way to tell if someone was permabanned, and B, unless you dug through post histories there was no way to tell why someone got banned. Even if you did go through post history, it was often hard to tell why someone was banned. I remember going through the post history of a few banned users and being perplexed why they got banned. It also wasn't uncommon to see someone posting a thoughtful dissenting opinions get dog piled and banned.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
TBH this is a functionally superior forum to the other site regardless of what happened. The modern features and transparent moderation here are a breath of fresh air compared to the old sluggish system.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was all subjective and bias driven with that. I was permed for this comment (in the initial picture reveal of the silhouettes of Red Dead 2), and I will quote essentially what I said...

"I think we should hold off on accusing the developers of being sexist and the like and assuming there are no females based on a silhouette with zero information. This all wreaks of headhunting without the facts."

I received a perm with the response, "toodles" *rolleyes*

Was a long time poster and member. But I was not in the 'group think' side of that truly silly thread.

The transparency with the banning or warnings here are much improved/favored (more community building/honoring), versus the moderation tactics there. Feels more welcoming, versus the feeling of 'walking on egg shells' if you had a descending opinion to the topic, with the rogue styled tactics if one just did not like you.

Exactly. There would not have been mockery accounts on twitter about the moderation style, if this was not a common case, in which it surely was.
Heh, that thread is actually the only ban I've gotten in my 6 year GAF career, I didn't think it was fair but I'm over it. Still wonder what mod was in that thread though.
TBH this is a functionally superior forum to the other site regardless of what happened. The modern features and transparent moderation here are a breath of fresh air compared to the old sluggish system.
It's kind of sad that it took a mass exodus for them to start consider updating that forum. But I'm used to ERA's way of things and I doubt I'm going anywhere.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

Probably quite a few. I was never banned on GAF, but even I could tell that you could get the axe depending on which way the wind blew on a certain day. Sometimes things were acceptable, others they were not.

Like anyone remember that thread about the 3 women at a restaurant who accidentally got the merchant's copy of the receipt that described them as being fat (so the waiters would know who to bring food to). And the first two pages basically all said "well, they are..." and ALL of those posters got banned only to have Evilore came in a few minutes later and completely reverse all of those bans. That's just one example of how inconsistent it could be.

(Testing massive quote posting, seems to work!)

I'm glad I've made the switch.
Dont lie to me. Nintendo made the Switch. Even Google says so: https://www.google.com/search?q=who+made+the+switch

One thing that is nice at ResetEra, is when you register you get accepted fairly quickly.

I always found the months long wait bizarre at the other forum.
Probably because only one guy approved them, or just a few. All in the name of ''weeding the people out''.
For what its worth though, the invite-only approach really has worked wonders for ERA in the larval stages.

I just seen that the other side is going to upgrade their forum software with HTTPS sometime this month. They want to play catch up.
I recall this has atleast been a thing for the past year or so. I dont know, i just find it fascinating that ERA not only announces forthcoming changes, but actually implements them in lighting quick succession. Where you have this other side where every change takes atleast months.

Nah, GAF was a huge cluster of communities which took years to form. If all of them move, GAF is irrelevant, just another message board without the hook. Almost everyone commenting on news and articles were a part of some other community within GAF.

I find it funny how this forum took one week to assemble, but the update on Neogaf talks about those QoL improvements as a 2-year development task. I particularly like the conversation system on ERA which is more of the chat than mail.
Ayup. Conversations so far has been great (Although i havent done much conversing so far, sad me :() If you would want to converse, hit me up. Im always open for a chat on anything.

I do think it's odd how the people left over there basically throw around the narrative that all of the scum and toxicity moved over here. Funny, it's significantly more welcoming here than it ever was over there. Feels like the board is now populated with all of the lurkers who were afraid to speak up and now run the show.
People just like to be unaware, i guess. What is also noticeable is that these things are either said by new accounts or by users that i have never seen in all my years of lurking.

I mean, i have seen that even Shinobi is called ''scum'' and ''overly positive'' and ''not independent'' because of his ME: Andromeda thing. Regardless of that, if even such a small thing is already enough for you to question someone as not only a user, but as a person as a whole, then you cannot trust anyone really.

I've already learned not to instinctively hit up NeoGAF when I open my browser. ResetEra has replaced it entirely.
That to me is a huge testament to the quality of the discourse and the activity here.

The only reason I hit up gaf once every few days is to compare the activity. And every time I see the exact same threads on the front page and the same handful of guys posting. The communities and most of OT completely lifeless.
I agree. It really is a testament to this site that ERA has found its home so quickly.

The only few things GAF still has over ERA is:
- Old DF discussions. I love reading about what people thought about those games.
- Style. ResetERA looks fantastic, but Other Side has more info and a wider thread width than ERA. I loved that of Other Side as its very minimalistic but also very relaxing to my eyes. ERA is in this regard a bit less ''natural''. atleast to me.

book mark toolbar. I click on my folder and it opens both gaming + OT at once.
I just wanted to say thank you.. until i realized i used this feature already although it does not open two at once. Still, thank you :)

I love the random people still left on GAF talking shit about all the people that left.

"We're better off without them anyway"

"Time to rebuild!"

Okay. Sure.
All talk but no walk. Yesterday i even saw a page where the bottom was from 2 days ago. I feel the people there are on some placebo effect, thinking that its rather ERA that feels like a wasteland instead of the other way around.

But the biggest plus is that anyone now has a choice. In some things that other place still beats out ERA as highlighted above. But for anything else, i prefer ERA.

There's a lot of delusion from the stayers.

I don't get their thought process. What made GAF, GAF is here now. Do some of them seriously not get it? Is it 4D chess level trolling?

The name of the forum is even basically not spoken now because people don't want to catch a ban.
That's also because one of the lead mods (Cerium) has gently requested us all not to do so :)

And really, i get that this thread has turned into a talk about ''The Other Side'' but i agree with Cerium - We should leave that kind of talk out of ERA. As has been clear by the drought of posts over there, its slowly becoming a wasteland. Whatever happens to it should be left there, i feel.

Anytime, and for sure! :) I'm glad seeing more familiar faces on here.
Welcome to you too, Sami-san! :)

ResetEra runs great on mobile too. It's amazing to see, especially considering the limited amount of time the team has had.
+1! I used a few times already and its such a natural flow so far. Only thing annoying is that the post button is hidden because of the message screen and i have to tap on anywhere on the page to reveal it. Other than that: LAF IT! :)

I know exactly what you mean but still your post sounds funny,being baffled at a discussion being civil :)
To be fair, in some topics in history, it has been quite remarkable to have a civil discourse at all..

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, that thread is actually the only ban I've gotten in my 6 year GAF career, I didn't think it was fair but I'm over it. Still wonder what mod was in that thread though.

Oh yes, seen a lot of bans in that thread, over posts that were not even trolling or negative, they just disagreed that a silhouette with zero information should not cause a "they are sexist for not including females" postings.

I would also love to know which one it was, lol.

I was also 30 day banned prior because I was told "I was too invested in a game, take a long break to play it then", because my post count was highest in an |OT| thread, but a person bashing the game only had a handful of posts less than I, but he received no such ban. Woefully silly.

Last edited:

xlestattx

Oct 30, 2017

This 100%. I truly hope ResetEra rises above the dogpiling mentality that plagued a lot of discussions over there. Unless someone is posting racist/sexist/homophobic/etc, there is no reason to dogpile. Even political threads where someone disagrees about something (stritly on a political level, not the other stuff noted above), shouldnt give folks a free pass to bully someone as a group, which happened all too frequently there.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Redneckerz

It does open both tabs. If you have them both on the same folder, you right click on them and it'll open. It's open both in new tabs. I use Firefox. I pretty much have all my fave sites in a folder and I click on the folder and it opens them all at once, all on their own page/tab

Artifice

Oct 30, 2017
Is the article talking about us in ERA? So the fallout was much bigger than I expected! :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I do keep popping my head through the door over there. It's a morbid curiosity akin to slowing down to rubberneck at a car crash.

It's just so.. intriguing. Across both Gaming and Off Topic, the only threads to push above 10 pages on the first pages are the Mario OT and threads that pre-date The Event. Even at the height of shit going down I think it's legit a surprise to see a community shift of this scale.

It's also amazing. This forum continues to thrive.

Redneckerz

It does open both tabs. If you have them both on the same folder, you right click on them and it'll open. It's open both in new tabs. I use Firefox. I pretty much have all my fave sites in a folder and I click on the folder and it opens them all at once, all on their own page/tab
Ah dag nab it, i dont use folders, but singular links (Also Firefox user here). Thank you regardless, ill keep this in mind!

EDIT:
Thanks, I appreciate that. :) Welcome as well, Redneckerz!
No problem. If you ever want a chat, just hit me up :) Welcome welcome welcome!

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

I believe I saw they're bringing back everything from old OT, just locked. Which would be nice, since there was a lot I wanted archived. Just a shame my years of bookmarks and subscriptions got auto-deleted when he hid OT, so I'd need to re-find everything. :|

Also, they're rolling out new "transparent" moderation policies (with mods that won't be well-known community figures... huh), and they're supposedly rolling out a massive software upgrade this month. Definitely all reactionary decisions with ResetEra eating up everything and GAF dead in the water. Gonna be interesting to see what he does going forward, and if he'll ever realize it's never going to be the site it was by any metric.

Miang

Oct 28, 2017

Me too, I was a member for over a year after lurking for much longer, but never got out of junior status I posted so infrequently. Very large forums with active communities can be a bit intimidating for a latecomer, so I was content to read most of the time. Hoping to be a bit braver here and jump in. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I just got an email from NeoGAF saying my account was approved. I signed up like a year ago. Yeah, no thanks...

Me too, I was a member for over a year after lurking for much longer, but never got out of junior status I posted so infrequently. Very large forums with active communities can be a bit intimidating for a latecomer, so I was content to read most of the time. Hoping to be a bit braver here and jump in. :)

I never had an account at GAF, but I could see myself being super intimidated. I'm really shy around here, but it seems a lot friendlier than GAF was, so that's something!

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I only go back to answer PMs from old members trying to get out of there.

It's weird. I was an avid advocate for Dark Theme back on NeoGAF. Light Theme was unusable to me. When we migrated here, I thought I couldn't wait for the dark option. But as I got acclimated, the brighter and lighter environment of ResetEra really helped sell that feeling of a totally fresh start with a new outlook. When I go back to the old forum and my whole screen goes dark, it feels so heavy and oppressive and miserable. It's amazing how different it feels with new context.

Even when dark theme launches on Reset, I think I will stay with the default. It's grown on me an awful lot. I think I already posted about this before, but there were only a few thousand of us back then. I still feel the same as time goes on.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing I wish this place had like GAF is a home button on the bottom of the page on the Mobile Website. Still a force of habit for me to scroll all the way down and hit the home button I keep hitting the 'Help' button instead. Gonna take some getting used to.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I appreciate the friendliness. I'm shy here. Working on it.

...snip...Very large forums with active communities can be a bit intimidating for a latecomer, so I was content to read most of the time. Hoping to be a bit braver here and jump in. :)

Same here, I generally find it quite hard to take part anyway (rarely even PuG in multiplayer games). So remained a lurker on the other side for a very long time. Though I did start to come out of myself in recent times, especially in No Mans Sky 1.3 OT, and the ME:A relationship threads. The notifications and fresh start has helped "force" me to try and be less introverted here :)

Kas'

Oct 26, 2017
ResetEra is easily the most user-friendly, QoL-optimized forum I have ever posted on. This would have been a worthwhile endeavor whether the old site imploded or not.

Glad to see all the familiar faces after a couple years away - I'll follow you as I find you.

Glad to see you made it over. I noticed you had been banned for whatever reason. You and quite a few others helped me out tons in Dark Souls+Dark Souls 3.

It's nice seeing a lot of users that were permed for whatever reason make their way here. The community was getting decimated on the other site because of perma bannings.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird. I was an avid advocate for Dark Theme back on NeoGAF. Light Theme was unusable to me. When we migrated here, I thought I couldn't wait for the dark option. But as I got acclimated, the brighter and lighter environment of ResetEra really helped sell that feeling of a totally fresh start with a new outlook. When I go back to the old forum and my whole screen goes dark, it feels so heavy and oppressive and miserable. It's amazing how different it feels with new context.

Even when dark theme launches on Reset, I think I will stay with the default. It's grown on me an awful lot. I think I already posted about this before, but there were only a few thousand of us back then. I still feel the same as time goes on.

I browse mostly on mobile at night so the dark theme can't come soon enough. On pc I installed the unofficial dark theme a fellow reseter made a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.