• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's more that we're not adding any new members in until we get a few things sorted.

makes sense. Glad I got in when I did. I'm surprised at how fast you guys approve people. Not sure if this is something you would discuss, but do you approve members that you guys recognize more quickly?

Oct 28, 2017
I was a long time lurker over there waiting for approval for about 6-7 years that never came. It became my goto site but I'm so glad this site exists now and I've been approved! It's definitely my new goto site and now I just need to work up the courage to join in more.. After so long not being able to comment on the other site it feels a bit weird that I can actually post here now!

BigApple3AM

Oct 29, 2017
I was a long time lurker over there waiting for approval for about 6-7 years that never came. It became my goto site but I'm so glad this site exists now and I've been approved! It's definitely my new goto site and now I just need to work up the courage to join in more.. After so long not being able to comment on the other site it feels a bit weird that I can actually post here now!
That's a LONG time to wait for approval. I waited a few months and I thought that was crazy.

I probably only posted a handful of times over their. It didn't feel as easy to get involved in discussion as it does here. Much more welcoming. So I get where your coming from.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

This is so me too.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Are you my long lost brother?

Cause this is my story, word for word!

Well except for the 6-7 year part. I lurked at the other site for 4 years and then decided to register for an account.

About a couple of weeks after being told that my account needed to be approved, the event happened.

And now I'm on this awesome site. :)

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
yup.

seems like the GAF leftovers are the secret / now-emboldened slightly-potentially-totally-probably-bigots-in-not-so-disguise?
Please stop with this.

I've seen quite a few members say that they're still on The Other Site, simply because they no longer have access to a paid email account, so stick it out there.

And there were some posters heading here that left in crappy and offensive ways. And that turned off some of their posters from joining us here. But painting all ERA posters with that broad brush, is just as bad as painting the remaining gaffers as emboldened bigots.

Some are simply trying to rebuild there because that community meant / still means something to them.

I still post on The Other Site too. We can coexist, y'all.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
I never even bothered to join the old site, the wait times seemed too long. I was approved instantly here.

Starting fresh is always a great incentive to join as well.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
ResetEra is easily the most user-friendly, QoL-optimized forum I have ever posted on. This would have been a worthwhile endeavor whether the old site imploded or not.

Glad to see all the familiar faces after a couple years away - I'll follow you as I find you.

It is more demanding on mobile phones, but alerts save me a lot of time to see if someone quoted me.

Also most members are quite experienced in forum discussions.

fantasyGG

Oct 28, 2017
I was a lurker too, but I did have a registered account. I just did not feel like posting stuffs. But this community is a fresh start, so I feel more motivated to contribute here.

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile

Me too!

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I never expected the transition would have gone this smoothly. I really didn't expect my habits of hitting "g" in the URL bar and pressing enter would die so quickly. My morbid curiosity of checking in on the state of affairs over on GAF has mostly died out, too. I haven't even checked the site in a few days now.

Oct 30, 2017

Damn. I thought it was fucked up that it took me 3 years. I mean, it *is* but still. Governments build billion-dollar aircraft carriers faster than Gaf gave out approvals, and it sure wasn't because they were drowning in quality content.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm glad this site exists. I'm still attempting to post on the other site, but it's pretty boring considering the topics I'm interested in get bumped once or twice a day.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL

Welcome. We love talking about beards. And we love talking about ninjas. You'll fit right into the discussion!

Personae

Oct 29, 2017
Please stop with this.

I've seen quite a few members say that they're still on The Other Site, simply because they no longer have access to a paid email account, so stick it out there.

And there were some posters heading here that left in crappy and offensive ways. And that turned off some of their posters from joining us here. But painting all ERA posters with that broad brush, is just as bad as painting the remaining gaffers as emboldened bigots.

Some are simply trying to rebuild there because that community meant / still means something to them.

Can't agree more.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I was a lurker too, but I did have a registered account. I just did not feel like posting stuffs. But this community is a fresh start, so I feel more motivated to contribute here.

You have an Estelle icon, so I already like you. :)

That being said, I hope to see you around on here. I didn't much very much on the other site either, but it's really friendly and welcoming on here.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of good decisions with this forum are helping it build even more momentum:
  • Modern features making it easier to have conversations with people, regardless of how large the membership gets
  • Transparent moderation - everyone knows why a ban happened and can learn from it
  • Moderate moderation - public warning are given and bans tend to be for a shorter, limited amount of time, giving people the chance to come back and re-engage in the conversation differently next time
  • No more public "junior" member status - Right out of the gate everyone is seen on equal terms and makes the environment feel more welcoming
  • "Community building" is a driving motivation, evidenced in things like the newsletters and even the way the forum was launched using community reps
I'm thrilled to see how things have shaped up over such a short time and looking forward to the future of the website.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was a full member at NG and just stopped posting a few years ago. The people who made it over here seem refreshingly optimistic and positive, so I'm trying out being active again. Thanks to someone for the quick approval.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Alerts are super-useful, one of the best things about this place. I can't wait to see what ERA comes up with next.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alerts are super-useful, one of the best things about this place. I can't wait to see what ERA comes up with next.

Agreed. Real discussions on many topics on the old site were near impossible as threads moved so fast.

Getting notified of quotes solves that as regardless of speed of threads people chan see who replied to them and reply back.

It's basically adding the best part of Reddit to a traditional forum and I love it.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will second this, never got approved. Never understood what is so hard about the approval anyway. If somebody slips through then they will get banned anyway.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I've been a member of that forum for around 7 years, but i'm happy to be here in a new era seeing lots of familiair and new faces. Maybe you have seen me posting or you didn't doesn't matter but seeing how this community is still growing is simply awesome.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Real discussions on many topics on the old site were near impossible as threads moved so fast.

Getting notified of quotes solves that as regardless of speed of threads people chan see who replied to them and reply back.

It's basically adding the best part of Reddit to a traditional forum and I love it.

Agreed. I never knew I needed this feature so much on forums until I came onto this site lol.

speiky

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
We in the big leagues now! Well it was expected really. But damn it's awesome to be a part of this.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a LONG time to wait for approval. I waited a few months and I thought that was crazy.

I will second this, never got approved. Never understood what is so hard about the approval anyway. If somebody slips through then they will get banned anyway.

I also applied for an account 7+ years ago (with my first account name choice) and never got a reply. Ended up trying again with a different name and was accepted a couple months later. It was an absurd process, all for a video game forum.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I was hesitant to jump over to RE when it all happened, it was a bit of a mess with all these ban bagging threads were still fairly active, but around the time this place launched even the threads I subscribed too, like the Cuphead thread which was being posted in every 10 minutes and was constantly filled with people people psyched about beating a boss or people asking for advice, it was an amazing thread. And now, like the Injustice 2 and many other OT's it's pretty much dead.

And yes, the alert feature is super good, I never knew when someone replied to me in the old place.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The only bad thing about the whole GAF purging threads is the countless off topic help/tech threads. Will they show up on Google?

Oct 27, 2017
I love the random people still left on GAF talking shit about all the people that left.

"We're better off without them anyway"

"Time to rebuild!"

Okay. Sure.
Sounds like some here.

The best thing that can happen is that this site can learn from the mistakes of the past and build upon that. I'm very happy here (I was skeptical at first). Love the layout and I'm impressed by the moderation. I do think this is a honeymoon period though and people are going out of their way to be on their best behavior. Once the paint gets chipped a bit the mods will be busy.

I have faith though.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It's quite amazing to see 90% of the people I recognize on GAF all here. Haven't seen an exodus like that since the IGN boards back in 2010.

What exactly happened there? I remember the IGN boards being pretty active when I posted there more than 10 years ago, but they have clearly been essentially dead for a long time. I just assumed people gradually left, but was there some kind of mass extinction event in 2010?

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
To be honest I wouldn't have thought Era could replace that other forum that quickly(or rather at all) but it really seems like most of the content providing people left for Era as well as most users in general. I still check gaf from time to time but the posting speed really has slowed down there, it's even slower now than some niche forum I am active on.

It's been a crazy few days so far and I am stunned at how fast the community here is growing, it already feels like home :)

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
The only thing i miss is my flair - waited 6 years for some flavor text and then the whole meal goes sour..lol

But this place feels good. I'm glad you guys put something together so quickly.

On a super plus - At least i got my PSN username back as my forum handle. Can't even remember why that account got banned like 9 years ago but i can finally just say "PSN handle is the same as my username". Lovely! :-)

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Xbox threads are much more peaceful here. It's nice not having to deal with the tribe mentality the mods from The Other Site fostered in the videogame discussion. Plus the features and speed are huge improvements. I'm a fan so far!

I was on The Other Site since the start. From the original forum, to the IGN hosted forum, the ezboard stint and finally the transition to The Other Site. Don't miss it at all. Please just don't let this place devolve into what The Other Site had become.

Last edited:

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I told myself I'd post on both forums but when you compare activity you realise there's no point. I've updated my bookmarks, retuned my muscle memory and now Era is my permanent home.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... I'm still doing both but it's clear where all the traffic is...

I told myself I'd post on both forums but when you compare activity you realise there's no point. I've updated my bookmarks, retuned my muscle memory and now Era is my permanent home.

Yep my muscle memory has been retuned too. It's somehow tragic seeing the remains of the other place yet at the same time it's nice to see a new beginning on here.

PunchDrunk28

Oct 28, 2017
I was a lurker on Gaf for probably 10 years, never did try to make an account. When I saw this place start up, I immediately made one, glad to be here too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.