• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This

As a lurker in gaf for nearly 10 years I'm glad I'm at place where I don't feel scared to post

Holy crap... honestly, that's why I stopped posting at Neogaf.

It got to a point, for me, where I was reading and re-reading every post I wrote, fearing a ban, or some class of moderation over the tiniest little thing. Finally, I said, screw this... I respect people when I post... if certain people don't like my IDEAS then I'm not going to post here anymore.

This forum is WAY better. The positive VIBE here is tangible. In fact, it's as positive here as it was negative at Neogaf.

Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land

It got to a point, for me, where I was reading and re-reading every post I wrote, fearing a ban, or some class of moderation over the tiniest little thing. Finally, I said, screw this... I respect people when I post... if certain people don't like my IDEAS then I'm not going to post here anymore.

This forum is WAY better. The positive VIBE here is tangible. In fact, it's as positive here as it was negative at Neogaf.

Yeah this place is amazing, and we will have our ups and downs, but it will be dealt with much more better.

vider

Oct 27, 2017
Slovenia

I know exactly what you mean. I was on NG for 9 years or so, and more and more I had to re-read and triple check my posts, just to avoid being banned for some stupid reason. Especially in off-topic, where a mod decided to start banning people in a thread with no explanation and all of a sudden a bunch of people got perma banned and sometimes you really had no idea why.

And even when you finally decided to post something, a lot of times the first reply would be "what a shitpost". This place is so much more positive, that for me it's finally fun to post again.

Astorgh

Oct 29, 2017
Have an account there but barely posted anything. Actually got approved pretty fast, although here was faster.
Was a lurker for probably a year, then registered and got approved in 3 days, then 4 years passed until today.

Oct 28, 2017

I completely agree with this and I want to add that those who made this site and are maintaining it as the real heroes. I feel so grateful for having such a great forum and I want to contribute my best as a way of saying thanks to them.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I know exactly what you mean. I was on NG for 9 years or so, and more and more I had to re-read and triple check my posts, just to avoid being banned for some stupid reason. Especially in off-topic, where a mod decided to start banning people in a thread with no explanation and all of a sudden a bunch of people got perma banned and sometimes you really had no idea why.

And even when you finally decided to post something, a lot of times the first reply would be "what a shitpost". This place is so much more positive, that for me it's finally fun to post again.

Thanks for sharing :) I feel the exact same way.

All the voices that were suppressed by the NeoGAF mods seem to have made their way here. And what a difference. I can't wait to be an active part in resetera's growth.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't agree with this at all. It was pretty obvious what got you banned and what didn't after a while. Needless to say, the transparency on Era is very welcome still, especially for those who weren't long time posters or lurkers on that other site.

Last edited:

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
While this site obviously still leans heavily one way than the other (mind you that's not a bad thing, considering every other flavour is allowed to exist), I'm glad that the mod team is waay more lax and upfront about what they're trying to enforce. There have been quite a few posts I've seen in Off T-ahem... etcera, that would've been banned INSTANTLY without question in the other site. I'm actually seeing warnings and mods actually participating in threads to try to get people to knock off bullshit and stay constructive. The future of this site depends on how they curate the Mod list, and the current one gives me a lot of hope. Sorry if this is drudging up the past

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Don't agree with this at all. It was pretty obvious what got you banned and what didn't after a while. Needless to say, the transparency on Era is very welcome still, especially for those who weren't long time posters or lurkers on that other place.

Yeah, as some have already learned, this place is not going to put up with racism, sexism, or alternative "facts". Which is AWESOME.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

I don't understand this at all... are you talking about in the Off Topic Forum or on the Gaming side? I've never seen anything like that on the Gaming Forum, but can't speak to the Off Topic - since I never went there to post. I could tell it was all drivel.... it was just a Twitter/Facebook stream of conscious posting that isn't worth anyone's time to read. Honestly, I expect the same thing here lol, I've yet to read the ETC forum.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I can't say I agree on the posting thing. The strict moderation and intolerance for bullshit (which ERA will continue mind you) meant higher quality threads and replies. The intolerance for one word replies or just trolls was very refreshing in an age of social media where every moron can find his/her audience with minimal effort.

If you are respectful to others and moderate yourself in your thread making there would never be a problem, unless you touched some subjects that are unwelcome there (as they are also here) like racism, sexism, etc. no matter how "respectful" you provide them.

I do fully agree on the positive vibes here that make it a lot more fun to be a part of this community.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle

Ya back when I was at "the site that shall not be named" I was perma banned for using the abbreviation M$. I guess it's a little negative, but seriously? Permenany banned? I pretty much hated that forum from then on, and just used it for news/trailers and for big events like directs and E3. So happy we got our new space!!! Whooo!!!! Posting, being an active member...on a forum....what a concept!

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad how incredibly true this is.
It isn't. If you were scared to post, odds are you knew your posts weren't that great. The other place was moderated well for the most part and so is Era so far. I do find the revisionism about the other place on here a little concerning. I lived through threads like "Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad" but you were too terrified to post? Come on, be real.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm still posting there, mainly due to OCD (I'm about 25 posts away from hitting 30k), but yeah it's super slow now. Community threads are basically dead, with the Gaming Community sub-forum moving at about 3 posts an hour.

I would like to say that I was never fearful of being banned, but then again I've never been one to be controversial. My only significant ban was for saying something derogatory, and I learned from it in a positive way.

Oct 29, 2017
Have an account there but barely posted anything. Actually got approved pretty fast, although here was faster.
Was a lurker for probably a year, then registered and got approved in 3 days, then 4 years passed until today.

That's interestingly very different from my story. It took something like 2-3 months before my account was approved.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't. If you were scared to post, odds are you knew your posts weren't that great. The other place was moderated well for the most part and so is Era so far. I do find the revisionism about the other place on here a little concerning. I lived through threads likethesebut you were too terrified to post? Come on, be real.

Back when I was a junior member on GAF I was very intimidated by the vibe there at first. That some people would choose not to post at all doesn't surprise me.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ya back when I was at "the site that shall not be named" I was perma banned for using the abbreviation M$. I guess it's a little negative, but seriously? Permenany banned? I pretty much hated that forum from then on, and just used it for news/trailers and for big events like directs and E3. So happy we got our new space!!! Whooo!!!! Posting, being an active member...on a forum....what a concept!
Uh I mean I'm pretty sure that's toxic for MS fans and will still get you banned here. I agree the banning was too harsh though. I like the transparency and warnings here, though some mods give time limits (in the ban message), others don't?

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't. If you were scared to post, odds are you knew your posts weren't that great. The other place was moderated well for the most part and so is Era so far. I do find the revisionism about the other place on here a little concerning. I lived through threads likethesebut you were too terrified to post? Come on, be real.
Yea idk what that's all about. It is my hope that RE will be moderated similarly, just with more discretion and transparency.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah I really like the transparency of this forum. This person got banned for this long for this post for this reason. No need to wonder.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't. If you were scared to post, odds are you knew your posts weren't that great. The other place was moderated well for the most part and so is Era so far. I do find the revisionism about the other place on here a little concerning. I lived through threads like "Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad" but you were too terrified to post? Come on, be real.
I agree with you. I had some terrible gaming opinions and I defended a dude writing about Princess Peach and also complained pretty heavily about Kotaku and Polygon without catching anything. (Still got shit for that though, deserved)

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
We taking over. I'm enjoying the community much more here. We need to all unite, we all love video games here.

TLZ

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Funny this is the same thing said over there and how they feel safer now to post.

Who's right?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had 30k+ posts in the old place and cranked them out without a care in the world. When I see posts like "I was banned on there just for misspelling a word!" my immediate thought is that they're hiding the real reason they were banned. Not to say there was never an unjust ban by any means, but from my experience it was uncommon.

That said - ResetERA is an improvement in every respect so far. I love the transparency (which the old place very sorely lacked) and the positive vibe is great.

mug

Oct 26, 2017
Glad this new site spun up so quickly. Thanks to the mods who got everything up and working - the site is a great improvement over GAF.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I had 30k+ posts in the old place and cranked them out without a care in the world. When I see posts like "I was banned on there just for misspelling a word!" my immediate thought is that they're hiding the real reason they were banned. Not to say there was never an unjust ban by any means, but from my experience it was uncommon.

That said - ResetERA is an improvement in every respect so far. I love the transparency (which the old place very sorely lacked) and the positive vibe is great.
Truth. Posted tons of times on the old forum, copped a ban maybe once? Then again, if you never got even a day or week ban, you never truly lived lol

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Put mildly, I have my reservations about the "I can finally speak up" crowd. Especially when they spout revisionist nonsense about what they believe would have gotten them banned.

I have >11k posts and only ever got banned once for three days for necro bumping. Feel free to check my account, it's still there.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well..depending if on you we're a junior, permabanning may have been much, but that abbreviation is pretty childish and stirs things up in a hurry.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Longtime gaf lurker (5 years ish?) checking in. Never registered cause i heard it took some effort, and my laziness won. Feels good to be here at long last! Even if the "here" in this case is different.

djshauny1

Oct 27, 2017
Don't agree with this at all. It was pretty obvious what got you banned and what didn't after a while. Needless to say, the transparency on Era is very welcome still, especially for those who weren't long time posters or lurkers on that other site.

Thats not quite true. Many people got banned for simply having a different opinion to the power hungry moderators. It was mostly either there way or you would get the banhammer.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Despite what others are saying, you're not at all wrong. Moderation makes or breaks a forum. What was once broken now appears to be corrected. It was eye opening going to Slaent after the old place and seeing how you can have a board free from racism, sexism etc etc without the oppressive moderation.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats not quite true. Many people got banned for simply having a different opinion to the power hungry moderators. It was mostly either there way or you would get the banhammer.
Sorry, but like what?
This is not true at all. Being a shit poster got you banned, little else. I'd say I've seen fewer than a handful of bans I vehemently disagreed with in my time there. It was one of the best moderated gaming sites.

Once again, I challenge everyone to check my list of created threads. Many of which were controversial. 130+ threads (if I recall correctly), 0 bans. 11k+ posts, 1 three day ban.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Seriously. This place is absolutely great. The moderation team and the people who got this forum up and running are amazing.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well, at least my power to make threads die as soon as I post in them did not carry over from gaf. Pretty cool though

The only reason I posted so little (something a little over 1000 posts since 2013) was that most of the time I felt everything has been said...and yet threads just kept going repeating the same arguments over and over.

Never had any worry about making my points though. Reading that so many people did have worries about being banned for nothing is kinda depressing for me.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I mean, look at the way the owner of the forum dealt with his recent 'situation'. He himself went on a banning spree - and he made it crystal clear what his position was: if you voiced any sort of dissent... even the slightest amount... you got a perma-ban.

I saw one person get banned just for saying he thought some of the bans seemed a little harsh. The owner of that forum can do whatever he wants, within reason - but so can everyone else.

There's a REASON this forum exists.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Transparency issue aside, I think many posters just can't distinguish what constitutes blantant drive-by system warring at the old place.
I saw one person get banned just for saying he thought some of the bans seemed a little harsh. The owner of that forum can do whatever he wants, within reason - but so can everyone else.
Yes, the owner has issue, we established that

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

I posted there for almost ten years, still do, and never saw that. Again, this is only on the Gaming side. Off-Topic looked like the Wild West though... is that what you're referring to?

GrimBorne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
t isn't. If you were scared to post, odds are you knew your posts weren't that great. The other place was moderated well for the most part and so is Era so far. I do find the revisionism about the other place on here a little concerning. I lived through threads like "Summoning other players/NPCs in Souls makes bosses trivial and you should feel bad" but you were too terrified to post? Come on, be real.

Yeah right. You can pretend all you want but the whole internet was cheering and celebrating when that site went down. Toxic. Hivemind. Echo chamber. Cesspool. That's how it was described and they are not wrong.

The last few years got worst there unless you were part of the club. The mods were out of control. Anything could get you banned or the other blood-starved posters would twist your words to bait you into a ban.

We were all glad to leave. The vibe is way more positive here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the update post over there. They really want to ape resetera it seems

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Being "scared" of posting isn't quite as ridiculous as you're making it seem.

One of the sources of intimidation was new members getting "junior shamed" on occasion. I think longtime users forgot how intimidating it could be for new users to try to join a community full of people who knew each other, had longterm relationships/conversations, etc. The step to remove the "junior member" label here is a good, nice step to make sure that kind of knee-jerk dismissal of a new person doesn't happen as often.
Sorry, but like what?
This is not true at all. Being a shit poster got you banned, little else. I'd say I've seen fewer than a handful of bans I vehemently disagreed with in my time there. It was one of the best moderated gaming sites.

Once again, I challenge everyone to check my list of created threads. Many of which were controversial. 130+ threads (if I recall correctly), 0 bans. 11k+ posts, 1 three day ban.
There is literally someone who is now a mod of this forum who was banned on only the shakiest of grounds on the other site. There is another mod of this forum who voluntarily left the other site after getting constantly attacked and accused of shilling because of his positive take on certain games. It's great that you had a nice experience on the other site, but I don't really see the value in combatively defending the place at this point.

We should all move on now in the "Reset Era," because we're here now, so let's appreciate what's here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah right. You can pretend all you want but the whole internet was cheering and celebrating when that site went down. Toxic. Hivemind. Echo chamber. Cesspool. That's how it was described and they are not wrong.

I mean, there was and always is trash posting... but it was a "hivermind, echo chamber, cesspool" compared to WHAT exactly? mean, is anyone really going to say that NeoGAF is a worse place for "cesspool" comments than Reddit or YouTube or Twitter? Really?

WoollyTitan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Maldovarium
Sorry, but like what?

Well, you're a very friendly, sunshiny person to make the new flock feel all welcome and all...

Dracon

Oct 27, 2017
I was a lurker on "that" forum for years since I never got an account approved. I confess that I thought that resetera would not be inclusive as it should be, since I feared that the elitist mindset that grew "there" would stick with its users here, but gladly I was wrong and just needed a regular paid e-mail and a quick approval to be able to enter this community, so thank you resetera team!

Status
Not open for further replies.