• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
qvnnx0xl5gjvlnysqdox.png

https://kotaku.com/the-top-playstation-trophy-hunter-is-now-bagging-300-pl-1829795797

You thought you had it bad? Meet the Michael Jordan of trophy hunting, Hakam Karim.

Last week, Guinness World Records finally recognized Karim, who goes by Hakoom on PSN, for his prowess with a certificate certifying him as the world's top platinum trophy holder. He currently has more than 1,700.

His proudest trophy? Max Payne 3.

It's a silver trophy called The Shadows Rushed Me, and it requires not only staying alive the whole time, but also completing each chapter in the game within 60 seconds. Every kill a player gets adds five seconds to the timer, while every headshot adds six.

A cheater?

"All the people who accuse me of cheating never mention any solid proof to backup their claims," he said. "They just write "this guy hacks" or "this guy is a team" without proof—you know they love drama in the comments and that's what they are good at in their lives. They call me a no-life but actually they are the people with no life."

What do you think Era? A man to be heralded? Jealous of his free time? Or perhaps you feel this is an unhealthy obsession? Take a moment to think about Hakam the next time you reach that platinum bliss.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Look at the bags under his eyes, I don't think he cheats lol

Dude has a kid as well, it's nuts!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
So that's just under one per day? I don't see how that's possible unless there's a bunch of people sharing the account to take the time required.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Why do people shame trophy hunters? It's not tragic if they find doing "tasks" fun. I swear it's like everyone wants to define subjective enjoyment into a small bubble only defined by them.

Congrats to Hakoom.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I like about him is that he doesn't go only for super easy platinums, he has quite a few tough or time consuming ones as well. Respect. :)

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Honestly i dont think it is possible.
Not saying that he is lying or something, but it is nit possible.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I guess he only plays games with super easy platinums? You can't get roughly one per day with games like Yakuza lol.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Shit I have 32 platinums and 1 completed game on XBL. Does this dude get like sponsorships or twitch stream at this point because I can't imagine being able to do this while having a regular job and responsibilities. I've been on XBL nearly a year since getting the 1X, I have all of like 5800 Gamerscore.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i read an earlier interview about this guy

he just sounds completely miserable
"I go to work then get back home, eat lunch and play for a few hours, spend some time with my family, go out a bit and then get back to gaming again and sleep," he says. "Thursdays, I have friends come over and we play multiplayer games." A pause. "It's the day I unlock the least trophies."
"Sadly, there is no recognition," Hakoom says when asked if Sony has acknowledged his feat. "Not even a 'thank you' for playing all of those games on PSN.

"In other words, Sony treated me like a wall."
"If I had some recognition from Sony, maybe I would have enjoyed Trophy hunting more because I would have gotten support from the company I love. But the company doesn't show love towards its most loyal customer." Hakoom's own trophy hunt, meanwhile, doesn't look like it's stopping any time soon.

"I would like to end it every day, but I am just too addicted to trophies, so I can't."

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
As long he is happy doing it, kepping his health and his family in check, there is notthing wrong about this. Happy Hunting Hakam :)

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
Seems reasonable enough, harder platinum trophies would balance out with easier ones if you play enough games to completion.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do people shame trophy hunters? It's not tragic if they find doing "tasks" fun. I swear it's like everyone wants to define subjective enjoyment into a small bubble only defined by them.

Congrats to Hakoom.
Because.. quite frankly... it's an obscene amount of time that he has dedicated to playing video games. Something has to give when you spend that much time doing something.

Shaming people isn't cool. But there is a genuine concern that someone who has been driven to play that much could have some genuine issues. And, if not, it's so much effort that has dedicated to this pursuit that it has to make you wonder - is it really worth it?

My concern is more of a paternal one than a "that's shameful" sort of thing. Being the best at getting Platinums isn't a very good way to measure self worth. And if he's not measuring himself through this pursuit, then why is he so dedicated?

The concern is just coming from a logical line of questioning.

OP
OP
AlexxKidd

AlexxKidd

Banned
May 23, 2018
Shit I have 32 platinums and 1 completed game on XBL. Does this dude get like sponsorships or twitch stream at this point because I can't imagine being able to do this while having a regular job and responsibilities. I've been on XBL nearly a year since getting the 1X, I have all of like 5800 Gamerscore.

Actually that's a good point, he should stream on Twitch if he's not already. I have to imagine he's wealthy but I'm not sure. As others have stated there's been several articles on the guy, he could turn this interest and trophy hunting into a revenue stream on Twitch.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And i tought i had alot of platinums already, i got 71 plats between PS3 and PS4.

Honestly, to get 300 plats a year u gotta be obcessed about it, but as long it makes him happy, more power to him. Anyone should enjoy gaming the way they like the most, for him is trophy hunting, even if the way he does it dosent sound healthy at all.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Congrats to Hakoom.

This particular person has admitted it hasn't been fun to him most of the time and alludes to it all being an OCD addiction.

Look at the bags under his eyes, I don't think he cheats lol

Dude has a kid as well, it's nuts!

He once said he met his wife due to the trophy hunting, actually.

I dunno, I'm always going to remain skeptical of the guy based on some of his weirder comments, videos that didn't actually prove he didn't do something involving outside help, and the actual shunning/banning by what used to be the prime trophy hunting community.

There are too many easy ways to fake being legit at trophies, more so than Xbox achievements (though not as simple as Steam achievement manipulation). Also Sony doesn't do anything about any of these methods.

Jul 26, 2018
I don't remember his name, but on Xbox one, the #1 achievement hunter streams daily and sadly he barely gets any views... like...20-50 views in total. That's it.

Just wish he and this guy should get more views/support. Man I can take imagine how does this if Hebe has a normal job. Even has a family too.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like he might legit have OCD about getting every single trophy for every single game.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, my brother has been collecting trophies for over 7 years now and he only has about 320 or so, though I guess he mostly focuses on ultra-rare percentage platinums but still, 300 in one year is insane.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
So that's just under one per day? I don't see how that's possible unless there's a bunch of people sharing the account to take the time required.

That's not impossible, especially in recent years with all the garbage games being released on PSN weekly that are like 1-hour plats. I've participated in Trophy wars before and averaged more than 1 plat per day for a month.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Honestly i dont think it is possible.
Not saying that he is lying or something, but it is nit possible.
He also claims that he daily spends time with his family, and also daily "goes out for a while" along with having a job; honestly find all of it hard to believe considering that.

If he was some trust fund dude w/o a job then maybe.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017

Congrats to Hakoom.

It sounds like he has a disorder, so he shouldn't be shamed, but he shouldn't be congratulated either.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This particular person has admitted it hasn't been fun to him most of the time and alludes to it all being an OCD addiction.

He once said he met his wife due to the trophy hunting, actually.

I dunno, I'm always going to remain skeptical of the guy based on some of his weirder comments, videos that didn't actually prove he didn't do something involving outside help, and the actual shunning/banning by what used to be the prime trophy hunting community.

There are too many easy ways to fake being legit at trophies, more so than Xbox achievements (though not as simple as Steam achievement manipulation). Also Sony doesn't do anything about any of these methods.

Yeah it sounds miserable to me. If he has a normal job and a kid it means he probably just doesn't sleep at all.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I've got Destiny, Destiny 2, Horizon, God of War and Final Fantasy XV. I think these are all relatively easy Plats but I can't fathom how a single guy could average something like 1 per day.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember his name, but on Xbox one, the #1 achievement hunter streams daily and sadly he barely gets any views... like...20-50 views in total. That's it.

Just wish he and this guy should get more views/support. Man I can take imagine how does this if Hebe has a normal job. Even has a family too.

I feel that watching someone unlocking achievements doesn't sound exciting enough considering than most of them are grinding related, and that he already achieved the #1 status, so there is not an story to follow. I agree though that his viewercount is very low

I've got Destiny, Destiny 2, Horizon, God of War and Final Fantasy XV. I think these are all relatively easy Plats but I can't fathom how a single guy could average something like 1 per day.

I think that the difficulty of an plat should be labeled on the time that it takes rather than the skill needed, a game like FFXV is easy to plat (I have it) but I still have to dedicate 50 hours to get, if I used those hours to maybe learn a shoot em up that I could beat in 20 minutes but where I need to do it in 1cc, maybe I would have done it

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
And here I am feeling good about myself after getting the spider-man plat as my 4th plat.

Good for him though. I envy the time and patience he has.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that watching someone unlocking achievements doesn't sound exciting enough considering than most of them are grinding related, and that he already achieved the #1 status, so there is not an story to follow. I agree though that his viewercount is very low

There was an interesting moment last year when he lost the #1 spot while on his honeymoon lol

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I'd imagine things like this on his account help.
woHLMOf.png
Root Letter is a short VN with skippable scenes, if you knew the specific options to choose for each ending I'd imagine you could platinum it quite quickly. I think there's a lot of satisfaction in trophies for a game where full completion means something to you but it's a bit sad that there are people buying the same game 10 times in different regions and systems just to pad their trophy numbers. But of course it's his time and his money.