• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/ethangach/status/1550171225686671361?t=0-r44g1YG4275e7DicRLZA&s=19

Another big Ubisoft game has been delayed. Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora won't arrive in time for the release of James Cameron's feature film Avatar: The Way of Water this December and is now launching sometime after March 2023 at the earliest. CEO Yves Guillemot also told staff on Thursday that some projects have been canceled, and that the publisher will have to cut back expenses to only "what is essential" as it searches for its next blockbuster hit.

In the current economic context, carefully and strategically managing our investments is critical now more than ever. We must therefore succeed in strongly limiting our spending to what is essential by questioning some of our habits and reflexes, and by reinventing ourselves together to make gains in terms of cost, agility, and efficiency.

In addition to Avatar, Ubisoft announced today during its first-quarter earnings report that another "smaller unannounced premium game" originally planned for this fiscal year was delayed as well. It's possible this was a reference to Project Rift, an Assassin's Creed Valhalla DLC turned standalone game. Bloomberg reported that the game was aiming to fill holes in Ubisoft's upcoming release calendar, though two sources familiar with Ubisoft's plans recently told Kotaku that the game was facing new challenges despite the rush to finish it.

For the rest of 2021, then, Ubisoft has pinned its hopes on a new Mario + Rabbids strategy game and its multi-year development headache Skull and Bones. But while the latter has cost as much as any big blockbuster game, people who have worked on it remain skeptical it will be anywhere near the hit the company needs. According to one developer, there is little to the pirate-ship game beyond what was already shown when it reemerged in a showcase livestream earlier this month. Despite a bevy of resource-gathering survival sim mechanics, they said each individual part of the game lacked depth.

In the meantime, multiple employees tell Kotaku different Ubisoft studios are facing fewer and smaller raises for staff, less hiring, and various budget freezes. This new wave of austerity comes as many major tech companies prepare for a potential recession. Ubisoft's problems go beyond that, however, with beleaguered ambitious projects like Beyond Good and Evil 2, the sequel to a beloved cult-classic action-RPG, still completely MIA and senior developers on some core franchises jumping ship.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
this seems to be more a market wide (not just games industry/Ubisoft-only) thing. With worries about an oncoming recession or risk of one in financial markets being discussed by many businesses

Most large companies are trying to protect themselves in advance just in case the situation the markets start to dive deeper. The housing market is starting to dip/level off finally, US jobless claims have continued to slowly tick up, inflation, etc.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Not too surprising. A lot f the stuff they've done recently apart from their big franchises didn't seem like it would have much appeal. Can't believe they've sunk so much into Skull & Bones.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow. 5 minutes ago in the Avatar delay thread I posted "So it's safe to say that Ubisoft is not in a good place right now, yeah?"

This thread answers that question: yup, they're in a bad way.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of big games getting delayed and others in development hell will hurt. Also seems like most of their big recent releases like Watch Dogs Legion, Far Cry 6, Extraction and Ghost Recon Breakpoint didn't meet expectations.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Feel sorry for the employees whos jobs may be at risk.

The higher ups can fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
ubisoft has a small list of franchises that they just repeatedly run into the ground while the potential of others' is floundered by serious mismanagement.

RoninZ

Oct 27, 2017
Ubi hasn't been putting out good games. I think except for AC:V these last 2 to 3 years I think.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay Ubi, just spend more money trying to get NFT projects off the ground. That will fix it!

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They really need to step back and focus hard on quality. Strong reviews and word-of-mouth go further than ever in our current environment dominated by social media and influencers and games that succeed at both almost always sell incredibly well.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
More like these are the long term results of Ubisoft's shortsightedness and greedless.. culminating for over several years upto a decade. Their strong desire for money, chasing trends and shit creativity lead them to this imo.

Yup, as soon as they come upon a selling formula, they keep milking them as much as possible. Its bound to catch up at some point.

Already one can see how quickly prices go down after release.

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
I'm surprised they're in this state considering how much money their games make. Full price, multiple editions, they sell millions, and they're loaded with microtransactions. Wonder how much money exactly has been wasted on shit like BGE2 or PoP remake and the like.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
latest

Buy my NFTs so Ubisoft will give me a new game

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
They really should have thought better than to turn all of their games that had any decent budget behind them into a GaaS/open world shitfest, and then they went in on NFTs as well. I love some of their games, but the company is run so badly I don't know how much of a future they have in terms of games that cater to my tastes.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like everyone was banking on NFTs/Crypto and now having to recoup massive losses.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Awful to employees, awful management and cancellation of multiple big projects, awful pc strategy, awful nft bullshit. Not surprised.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised they're in this state considering how much money their games make. Full price, multiple editions, they sell millions, and they're loaded with microtransactions. Wonder how much money exactly has been wasted on shit like BGE2 or PoP remake and the like.

They have more than 10K employees and earn less money than other major publishers if I remember correctly. That is why they are chasing that F2P golden goose so hard. And so far they failed every single time.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Their net profits were down 25% in 2021 and their valuation has been divided by 2 since 2018. They're not doing great.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
This is what happens when you refuse to let directors from different backgrounds have creative control and you foster a toxic work environment with misogyny and racism.

Not only are their projects becoming boring but people just don't want to work there anymore. Maybe now that their profits are suffering they'll start treating their devs better and be more open to new ideas

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of crazy that Mario + Rabbids is the single upcoming Ubisoft game that has the best chance of being a success and of high quality. But it's also seems like the only game they have development that has a clear scope and vision so I guess that makes sense.

They've had some high profile disappointments in recent years like The Division 2 and Ghost Recon Breakpoint, and their f2p efforts have all face-planted at launch to never recover, so not all that glitters is gold over there. There's definitely something to be said about the sheer amount of mismanaged projects they had going at once, but there are so many factors at play here that one can't point at one thing as the sole cause as it's a seemingly never-ending problems on a managerial level, even before addressing the really fucking large elephant in the room with the staff abuse problems they've had.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Immortals Fenyx Rising is the one bright spot in the last two and a half years - and it is a very bright spot for me at least

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
I think Far Cry 6 recently speaks to general issue Ubisoft has. It looked incredible, it controlled great, but it just felt soulless. Like it was made by a team scattered all over the world that never talks to each other and didn't have any real creative force behind it other than the company directives of make a new giant open world game with guns and a big name actor as the main villain to slap on the box. It was just so by the numbers...like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Watchdog Legion, and on and on.

They need to try some smaller teams and give them some more creative freedom. Not every game needs to have a global team of thousands developing it, and not every game needs to make a billion dollars. Until Ubi realizes that they are going to be stuck in this rut for a long time.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They're not making any $ from me so long as their games remain exclusive to their own crappy launcher.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
You know what's funny? Their next big AC game is probably set in Japan but there is big chance that it will be released sam year or even same season as Ghost of Tsushima 2.