• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft's ongoing NFT odyssey continues to bewilder and demoralize not just longtime fans but also its own developers. The company recently held another workshop aimed specifically at addressing the concerns of skeptical employees, yet also started giving out special NFTs to some members of the Ghost Recon team to "celebrate" the series' 20th anniversary. One developer likened it to the staff saying "We hate this crypto stuff," and Ubisoft responding with, "OK, come get some."

"They don't get it" was also the tone of a recent internal Q&A with the Quartz team aimed at addressing skeptical employees, sources familiar with the event told Kotaku. (Quartz is the name of Ubisoft's recently introduced proprietary crypto platform.) Instead, it bolstered some developers' concerns about security vulnerabilities in the Quartz technology and its lack of interesting design possibilities. Pouard and other blockchain proponents have pitched scenarios in which cosmetic items can follow players between games. That's not something current Quartz NFTs are set up to do, however, and according to sources, Pouard admitted internally that the "interoperability" question remains unanswered. In the meantime, the core use-case for Quartz NFTs remains in-game hats.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Since people keep talking about companies buying others, Nintendo should just hire the ubisoft team making rayman and Mario and rabbids away from ubisoft. Too bad the only person in Japan who may want to do this is to busy directing Chris Pratt to voice Mario.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
employees: thanks, I hate it.

Ubisoft: I know but here have it anyway.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
This is actually smart though. For Ubisoft or anyone pushing NFTs.

A lot of NFT haters will come around if you give them a few for free and they start following the appreciation/depreciation.

I say this as a firm NFT hater, it is a long-standing effective way to get reluctant people to buy into any bad idea.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait until they start awarding the annual staff bonuses in NFTs instead of cash, heads will roll.
It'll be just like the end of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

May 14, 2021
27cf0f2e-645e-489a-9e91-5cd83dec27cb_text.gif

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Wait until they start awarding the annual staff bonuses in NFTs instead of cash, heads will roll.
It'll be just like the end of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Well this is kinda it XD It is reward to Ghost Recon devs who tried to pull Breakpoint from the mud that Ubisoft then destroyed by introduction of NFTs XD

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ubisoft is probably in the worst position they've ever been in, so they are just grasping at straws. How about instead of NFT's, you just focus on making good games that people want to play and that your staff are proud to work on?

Doesn't giving NFT's away for free do nothing by diminish their value? That's how it works with literally everything else in the world. What would make NFT's the exception?

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well this is kinda it XD It is reward to Ghost Recon devs who tried to pull Breakpoint from the mud that Ubisoft then destroyed by introduction of NFTs XD

Right but there's no monetary value to these (yet?), who's going to buy them? GR players? Are staff permitted to sell them at all since its a 'team gift' ? They're essentially worthless.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. The VP of Innovation there is really fucking committed to this horseshit, I'll give them points for tone-deaf dedication at least.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Right but there's no monetary value to these (yet?), who's going to buy them? GR players? Are staff permitted to sell them at all since its a 'team gift' ? They're essentially worthless.

Well they are deposited to their wallets so they can do whatever they want with them and those hats are basically ultra rare item that only devs got. So they can sell them and technically they are worth a lot. And ubisoft found the way to raise prices of their NFTs if devs sell them.

So they are not buying them from themselves because that would put them in big legal issues but they can gift rarest items to employees who they underpay and nudge them to sell XD

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
god our employees are so fucking stupid. they just can't understand this shit no matter how many times we try to drill it into their pea sized little brains.

anyway welcome to the team, i'm expecting great things from you in the future

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nearly nobody wants this shit and yet it feels like every damn company and celebrity is pushing this shit hard trying their damnest to make NFTs a thing. All of them are fucking thirsty for that $$$.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well they are deposited to their wallets so they can do whatever they want with them and those hats are basically ultra rare item that only devs got. So they can sell them and technically they are worth a lot. And ubisoft found the way to raise prices of their NFTs if devs sell them.

So they are not buying them from themselves because that would put them in big legal issues but they can gift rarest items to employees who they underpay and nudge them to sell XD

Can you please explain the bolded, because the last I've read, no one wants to buy Ghost Recon NFT's...so if no one wants them, then why are they worth anything?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Shit like this ongoing NFT saga is why I can't get excited over the prospect of a new Splinter Cell. Cause even if they have the talent capable of making a good new Splinter Cell (which I'm sure they do) Ubisoft just can't help but get in their own way with dumb sweeping initiatives like this. This is no where near as bad as NFTs but not every game needs to be a live game! Not every game needs a tower or outpost. And I don't want to infiltrate Elm Street to take out Freddy Krueger or whatever dumbass cross over shit like they've done with past Tom Clancy games. I just want a good lightly modernized take on Splinter Cell. Can modern Ubisoft deliver such a game? I'm incredibly skeptical.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a tick, do these people have existing wallets and such or did Ubisoft have to make one against their will?

Because can't people just write whatever they fuck they want in your wallet? I recall that being discussed as one of the plethora of security issues that come with NFTs, that people who want to dox you or who want to use celebrities to advertise their product can go ahead and store things there. Not to mention the old case of, like, storing child abuse material on the blockchain, which has happened before.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet more bullshit "perks" they can affix to workers as a means to justify not raising their salaries.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That is why I said technically. In reality things are bit different.

I still don't get it. What do you mean "technically" vs "reality"? If no one is willing to pay more than say $2 for a widget, then technically and realistically, a widget it worth at most $2. (widget = anything sold on the free market).

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Is it me or is Ubisoft getting shittier?
They empower harassers and rapists and now they're bamboozling their own employees?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly nobody wants this shit and yet it feels like every damn company and celebrity is pushing this shit hard trying their damnest to make NFTs a thing. All of them are fucking thirsty for that $$$.

No, you've got it all wrong! We just don't get it. We simply lack the cognitive ability to understand how much better our lives will be with NFTs. Thankfully we have people that know better looking out for us idiots.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't get it. What do you mean "technically" vs "reality"? If no one is willing to pay more than say $2 for a widget, then a widget it worth at most $2. (widget = anything sold on the free market).

There is always someone willing to pay for something stupid and NFT hat that only developers could get and only limited number of developers got is ultra rare item. Some stupid person could see Ubisoft pushing for NFTs no matter what and decide to "invest" because maybe all of these F2P Ubisoft games will get option to use Breakpoint NFTs.

Auraboshi

Feb 4, 2022
Ireland
I still don't get it. What do you mean "technically" vs "reality"? If no one is willing to pay more than say $2 for a widget, then a widget it worth at most $2. (widget = anything sold on the free market).
I'd assume Ubisoft can make up the cost that they think their NFT's are worth but in reality yeah they are worthless and people know better not to invest into them.

Pretty much seems like a scummy way to prevent raising wages or giving employees perks

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Pouard admitted internally that the "interoperability" question remains unanswered

Was he trying to do the thing where he fools people into buying into NFTs by lying about what they can do,

with the people who have to implement the NFTs and therefore as a requirement would have to know what they can and can't do?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh. Ubisoft's probably going to start touting "you get NFTs!" as part of their "intangible benefits" schpiel. NFTs cost them fucking nothing.

Also, I wonder how this will run into tax stuff. Is it considered a bonus from work?

Also, fuck Pouard. Fucking disgusting.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Is any game company attempting to make NFTs a thing harder than Ubi?

I thought this shit would be up EA's alley and even they don't really want anything to do with it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The twist: all those employees now have a crypto wallet with an Ubisoft-provided token in them; that token has a smart contract designed to steal all Ubisoft NFTs back if that person ever leaves the company.

(no this is not actually a thing Ubisoft did, as far as I know, but eerily plausible)

Status
Not open for further replies.