• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Basically the game runs great but the menu prompts are reversed for whatever reason.
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/08/21/...astically-even-if-the-gamescom-build-is-weird

The build we played was a little funky, the A and B button functions on menus were reversed so you had to hit B to confirm and A to back out of a menu, but from what I could tell speaking to the rep this was an issue specific to this build of the game, not a design choice.

This is Dark Souls on a handheld, with a stable framerate that didn't drop in any of the areas I tried specifically with the aim of making it drop. It feels responsive to control, and looks more than good enough to make the trade off for portability worthwhile.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Well that kind of makes sense, even though it's "B", it's positioned where "A" is on the Xbox pad. Would be nice to have it adopt the Switch layout though.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Is the general feeling that they were withholding it for a more profitable calendar month...?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the general feeling that they were withholding it for a more profitable calendar month...?
I suppose it's possible they want it to be the "mature" Switch title heading into the Holiday season like Doom and Skyrim were last year. But seems a lot of hype was sacrificed as a result, so not sure if the call was good if the game was running anyway.

Jul 20, 2018
Probably related to B being where X/A buttons are on PS/Xbox controllers. It makes sense to have B as the select/interact button if they want to keep the same control layout as the other platforms.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

No, or else they would have delayed every versions.

The only probable hypothesis is that they were some networking issues. The Switch version was developped by different people than the other versions. Something could've gone wrong only for the Switch version then.

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We finally found the reason for the delay. But this has been a problem from since the game was first demoed.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's great news, even with all the delays I'm still ready to get this game day one. Portable Dark Souls is too good to pass up.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
That's how the PAX East build was, so nothing has really changed then. Seems like Bandai and Nintendo just wanted to delay it for some reason. And no, the game is still 30FPS.

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does the Switch version have the added QoL features from the other versions? Bonfire near Vamos, scalable HUD, etc?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The build we played was a little funky, the A and B button functions on menus were reversed so you had to hit B to confirm and A to back out of a menu, but from what I could tell speaking to the rep this was an issue specific to this build of the game, not a design choice.

So same button mapping as on PlayStation and Xbox.

I hope that control scheme is an option as I prefer roll/dodge on the right face button.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
because the switch version was by far the most wanted, so they decided to ensure some sales on other platforms first. in fact, the game bombed everywhere in the west. and no one can prove that I'm wrong Lol.

You can also claim that life is just a simulation and none of us are real and we can't prove that you're wrong. That doesn't make it any less crazy though.

Apparently, the Switch version doesn't have any or many of the QoL updates.

Source for that? I thought it was confirmed to have that bonfire at the very least.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game has been running great since April, why the hell was it delayed?

A cynic might suspect one of the other hardware manufacturers paid for a delay to make its release less of a big deal. that same cynic might look at which hardware manufacturer From has a particularly good relationship with to guess who.

Oct 29, 2017
So yes, the game was basically done and sat on for months and not for any technical reason...

... yeah, I still reckon it was delayed due to a publishing/funding dispute between Nintendo and Namco.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people saying online services was the reason for the delay? Have you guys ever played Dark Souls? Have you ever played a Switch game with online??

Oct 30, 2017
Glad the performance is stable. But at half the frames and at full price with the delay, the other platforms are going to be a better purchase for me.

Just gotta finish Nioh first.