• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
In the track 'Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There', if you skip to around 1:48 into the track, you'll reach a section of the song where words are softly spoken rather than sung. At around 1:57 it appears the term "retarded" is used, and followed up by the assertion that "I can say it." The official lyrics for the song, curiously enough, does not include this spoken word section. This is our transcription of what's said....

We have reached out to both Nintendo and Persona 5'sEuropean publisher Deep Silver for comment, and will update this article with any response.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/04/18...ates-persona-5-dlc-includes-a-disability-slur

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Today on 'I can't understand what you're saying so it has to be bad.'

Good job Kotaku. Good job.

/s

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering when this would get posted. I'm of the belief that Lyn was saying a different word/phrase cause it makes no sense in context.

Also I looked up live performances and she always ad libs during that portion of the song.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
listenting to the song, it does sound like that. but its also real quiet and they could be saying restart it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to look into this. Persona lyrics are hard to understand sometimes.

I literally thought "I'm a shapeshifter" was actually "I'm a chef, chef, too"
Don't look at me like that

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If this was true, wouldn't it have been reported on well before now?

It's not like everyone was afraid to report on questionable stuff in that game.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
How does Kotaku has such varying degrees of quality in its articles?

Stuff from Schrier, to LKD shit stirring

STHX

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think the lyrics say "retort it"

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
h1mxsk.gif

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda like saying Lyn says "Fuck you" on Last Surprise. It's engrish, trying to understand it is complicated.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I feel like reaching out to Atlus and just getting the lyrics probably should have been step one here.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
This would be worth getting upset about if the game had a slur in it

As it stands the author of the article misheard the song and decided to publish an article about how offended they are.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Did one of the people that write what they hear in Persona songs in Youtube comments get a job at Kotaku?

DaiJyoubs

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, I don't agree with a Kotaku article or think it's a tad overblown but never jump on the hate train.
This is literally a lyric check away. How the fuck did this get published?!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku really fucked up on this one. "Ill-researched article based on the reporter's inability to parse the singer's thick-accented English" is a new one, though.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not the first time Nintendo has been embroiled by this either

It wasn't the case here like people thought they heard and I'd imagine it is the same with Smash

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous article.

This song is in Persona 5, why is this (likely incorrect article) just coming up now?

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
I don't know that this is what they're actually saying, but you have to admit that the Persona series has a penchant for edgelordery.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I really sounds like it says 'retarded' but it's really hard to hear what it really says. I think Kotaku should have waited from an answer from Nintendo/Deep Silver on this one.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Half the fun of Persona games is singing along with whatever you perceive the lyrics to be and then later finding out you were way off.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why I prefer my video game music not have lyrics in it. If I mishear a lyric once it gets stuck in my head like a drillbit and I can never, ever unhear it.

Like how the Persona 3 dorms music is just Bitter Dance from Star Ocean 3 almost exactly, down to the same terrible rap lyrics. And you hear it over and over and over and over and over again for the entire game stop it please.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Gonna have to look into this. Persona lyrics are hard to understand sometimes.

I literally thought "I'm a shapeshifter" was actually "I'm a chef, chef, too"
Don't look at me like that

Don't worry. My wife and I listened to it numerous times, could also only hear it as "I'm a chef, chef too" and had no idea what it actually was till she looked up the lyrics.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Considering that Nintendo went out of their way to remove a swear word from another Persona song ("damn" in Mass Destruction, which was also spoken and not sung), it's extremely unlikely that what is being reported on here is actually being said.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The singer isn't a native english speaker, she's Japanese, and when you listen to the song plenty of words carry an accent, some heavier than others. Also music gets screened in Smash, as no song has any curse words in them. I'm going to say this is a case of misheard lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.