• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Is this the first multiplayer game that Valve has designed from scratch?

-L4d was made by turtle rock
-TF2 was a sequel to TFC, made by the same guys
-DotA was already established by icefrog
-Counterstrike has only ever succeeded despite valve (and they bought it)

I guess it also depends how you look at it, but didn't Richard Garfield design (or help design) artifact? would this be the same kind of qualifier as l4d being made as turtle rock, etc?

and I completely agree with the post above me. sure, these games existed beforehand, but valve quality/polish/production turned them into masterpieces. Surprised Portal wasn't mentioned above too considering it started out as a student project and valve hired the students/project.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Things are not looking better for the game with this news: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...aves-valve-puts-artifacts-future-in-question/

Richard Garfield, the legendary game designer behind Magic: The Gathering, says he has been laid off from Valve as part of a recent modest downsizing effort at the company. The move comes as Artifact, Valve's Dota 2-based card game which Garfield worked on closely, struggles to find a continuing audience.

"We weren't surprised by the layoff considering how rocky the launch was," Garfield told Artifact-focused site Artibuff. "The team was enthusiastic about the game and were confident that they had a good product, but it became clear it wasn't going to be easy to get the game to where we wanted it."

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

A year ago, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell touted Garfield's four years of work on the project to that point and made the lofty promise that Artifact would be "to trading card games what Half-Life 2 was to single-player action."

big oof

Not sure what Valve was thinking with the monetization model.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
I am very bitter towards Valve for abandoning their HL/Portal/Single Player fanbase so my initial reaction is "Good, fuck them."
But on the other side of the coin, I feel for those who lost their jobs. Valve has turned into one of the worst money thirsty companies out there, but I can't fault the individuals who lost their jobs on that. What a damn shame all around

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I didn't even know Richard Garfield worked for Valve or on this game.

I might check it out now. Has anyone played it (statistically the answer seems to be "not likely")? It's not, like, a MTX gacha hellscape or anything is it?

I actually enjoy the gameplay, sunk around 50 hours into it in the month around launch. It could have been a great game but yea, there wasn't any sort of levelling system in place at launch and they basically moved the free cards you got no matter what into the levelling system for new players. Really dumb decision because now anyone that started playing at launch has more freebies by default.

Phantom Draft is an excellent game mode, but the matches go on for a little bit too long; they frequently take around 35-40 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about buying this, but I couldn't even stand to watch a single full match on twitch. Post-launch numbers then made my decision concrete. Constructed had a terrible reputation and I don't think I'd be into draft alone that long.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Jesus, I didn't know Richard Garfield was one of those sacked recently. This game truly is dead and won't be revived CSGO-style any time soon. Shame.

It's not, like, a MTX gacha hellscape or anything is it?

No, the entire point of it is that it would work like real life TCG games where you interact with the community and trade or buy/sell from other players the cards you wanted.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am very bitter towards Valve for abandoning their HL/Portal/Single Player fanbase so my initial reaction is "Good, fuck them."
But on the other side of the coin, I feel for those who lost their jobs. Valve has turned into one of the worst money thirsty companies out there, but I can't fault the individuals who lost their jobs on that. What a damn shame all around
if they were truly money thirsty, wouldn't they have made and released HL3?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Meanwhile TF2 has like 43k players right now and the community is patiently waiting for the next big update. And the final comic.

Seeing Artifact flop is a nice feeling but only cause if we cant get HL3 then at least stop letting TF2 decay Valve.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Game was down to 272 concurrent players today. This might be the biggest fiasco of all time.
I think that's a tad hyperbolic to say. I mean in the same industry where a company hosted an AMA on a haven of pedophilia, games are bricking consoles, etc., a formerly-beloved company's game flopping massively seems like just a drop in the bucket compared to some of the stuff out there.

But yeah, 272, ooooooooooooooooooooof.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

I might check it out now. Has anyone played it (statistically the answer seems to be "not likely")? It's not, like, a MTX gacha hellscape or anything is it?

Plenty of people played it (it has a peak of 60k players). They (we) just all left after the first couple of weeks because of reasons. Can't speak for anyone else, but the lack of any kind of progression at all other than a shitty ranked mode, botched automated tournament support, gameplay issues (boring cards mostly), and an almost complete lack of any kind of communication from Valve all did it. The core gameplay is fun and has some neat game design ideas, but the overall package is just super lacking in reasons that would keep people playing.

As for the gatcha hellscape comment, Artifact is one of the best CCGs on the market as far as monetization is concerned. $20 gets you unlimited drafting (which by itself is way better than any other game on the market), and a complete card collection can be had for about $50 (because the game's dead, it was $200 at launch. Which is still okay given that you can just buy the cards you want without having to gamble).

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
if they were truly money thirsty, wouldn't they have made and released HL3?
No. Because it was easier to do other things. Hl3 would have been a massive under taking. It's oretty funny Gabe compared artifact to HL2 considering both have left its fans wanting more and dissatisfied. Maybe artifact will get trolled ten years after release like HL2 by Gabe.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of people played it (it has a peak of 60k players). They (we) just all left after the first couple of weeks because of reasons. Can't speak for anyone else, but the lack of any kind of progression at all other than a shitty ranked mode, botched automated tournament support, gameplay issues (boring cards mostly), and an almost complete lack of any kind of communication from Valve all did it. The core gameplay is fun and has some neat game design ideas, but the overall package is just super lacking in reasons that would keep people playing.

As for the gatcha hellscape comment, Artifact is one of the best CCGs on the market as far as monetization is concerned. $20 gets you unlimited drafting (which by itself is way better than any other game on the market), and a complete card collection can be had for about $50 (because the game's dead, it was $200 at launch. Which is still okay given that you can just buy the cards you want without having to gamble).
Unlimited drafting sounds amazing. That's like the game mode I've always wanted for other TCGs. Definitely going to download this tonight.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
.....no

What makes more money over 4 years? CS Go or a single player game?
I have no idea, I don't know Valve's internal financials? and I don't follow CS:GO whatsover

but if we look at some of the good selling SP video games (or at least games without extra monetization), they can sell 20M to 30M:

Skyrim - 30M
Diablo 3 - 30M
GTA:SA - 28M
GTA4 - 25M
various Super Mario Bros - over 30M each
COD:MW2 - 23M

I'm not including GTA5 because that started extra monetization with GTA:O. Also I'm using MW2 instead of later CODs, because MW2 did not have extra monetization.

HL3 would easily sell like the games above

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that that Robin Walker and John Cook were the only people at Valve to ever work on Team Fortress 2? It did take almost a decade to make but hey it's pretty impressive work for only 2 people.
Do you think icefrog was the only one at Valve who ever worked on DOTA2 or DOTA would be anything like DOTA2 if icefrog had never gotten a job at Valve?
Somehow Counter-strike has only ever succeeded despite Valve even though the huge success of CSGO only happened after Valve took over development of the game from Hidden Path.
Valve finished L4D2 after Turtle Rock was no longer a part of Valve.

Why does it matter if Valve hires people who make quality mods or games? Do you think TF2, DOTA2, CSGO or L4D2 would exist in a state like they currently do without Valve? Do you think In the Valley of Gods is going to be exactly the same now that all the developers work at Valve as it would have been if their studio hadn't been bought by Valve?
Are you joking? No nobody thinks that these games were made by 1 person. You have to be wilfully ignorant though to think that somehow 'valve' was instrumental to the basic design of most of these products. Like, literally every one of these was already a game prior to acquisition.

I think it's telling that you're acting like CS was some floundering product until Valve bought the devs (and that GO is somehow the only relevant version of counterstrike). CS was the original Dota - *THE* breakout mod in the modding scene.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Unlimited drafting sounds amazing. That's like the game mode I've always wanted for other TCGs. Definitely going to download this tonight.
Yeah the drafting is a lot of fun, it really wasn't communicated clearly that there was actually a free unlimited drafting mode, and the only one locked behind the tickets were the ones where you can win packs and the keeper draft.

In theory the business model is good, but in practice people simply don't like knowing there's other CCGs on the market that are free to play, but you can buy cards, while this one is $20 with buying cards as the main means to get more. Granted this is akin to a physical CCG, but in practice it does not work. I'm not sure if just keeping the same model and dropping the $20 entry fee would be enough for them profit-wise though.

Mar 29, 2018

No, it's heart was very much in the right place, trying to get away from gacha and MTX approaches - but they really didn't think it through so it ended up with savage fundamental problems that took away its longevity and didn't keep players compelled to keep playing.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad news for Artifact fans, all five of them.

While part of me would like to believe this is part of a larger realization by players that Valve doesn't have their best interests at heart, the reality is probably that in a land of GaaS products cannibalizing each other, some of them are doomed to failure by their very nature.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How exactly is 'you can only get cards for real money boosters (either first or second hand)' getting away from mtx and gacha again?

We've gone over how it's not actually a better system for ages before, but that's a new one. Card games are THE DEFINITION of that shit. The only reason it's away from it now is because literally everyone is liquidating/liquidated their collections so nobody opens packs anymore so you get singles for pennies on the dollar.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
No, it's heart was very much in the right place, trying to get away from gacha and MTX approaches - but they really didn't think it through so it ended up with savage fundamental problems that took away its longevity and didn't keep players compelled to keep playing.

Out of curiosity, what are these savage fundamental problems? To me, the biggest problem at launch was a lack of progression/reward system (arguably still an issue as the barebones one they currently have is pretty inadequate) and the lack of ranked ladder (which they still don't have, and that's a problem).

At the same time, I saw what they were doing as taking a step away from the skinner box monetization model that everyone seemingly so hated in every other online card game. I saw the up front payment model and the ability to outright buy cards you need instead of grinding to craft them, as well as the lack of daily rewards as an attempt to get away from that skinner box model.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I swear I remember I was excited about the game I wanted fresh card game .damn when did it even release ??? I totally forgot the game was even announced wow really cheap marketing if you ask me.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what are these savage fundamental problems? To me, the biggest problem at launch was a lack of progression/reward system (arguably still an issue as the barebones one they currently have is pretty inadequate) and the lack of ranked ladder (which they still don't have, and that's a problem).

At the same time, I saw what they were doing as taking a step away from the skinner box monetization model that everyone seemingly so hated in every other online card game. I saw the up front payment model and the ability to outright buy cards you need instead of grinding to craft them, as well as the lack of daily rewards as an attempt to get away from that skinner box model.
That's just it though - there's no INHERENT ability to buy cards, just like real life all cards come from packs. Which means the cost of cards is 100% determined by the EV of the pack since people won't open packs wiith an EV below the cost. Basically: If the game is successful, it still has the same problems, except that good cards cost MORE than bad cards, unlike Hearthstone and the like, and if the game is a flop then nobody is opening packs and the game is dead so the fact that you can buy the singles cheaply reflects poorly on the actual health of the product to begin wtih.

EDIT: forgot about their shitty market tax too. Which actually would necessitate an EV higher than the cost of a pack to make opening worth it, which is ridiculous.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly is 'you can only get cards for real money boosters (either first or second hand)' getting away from mtx and gacha again?

We've gone over how it's not actually a better system for ages before, but that's a new one. Card games are THE DEFINITION of that shit. The only reason it's away from it now is because literally everyone is liquidating/liquidated their collections so nobody opens packs anymore so you get singles for pennies on the dollar.
It's not really, but I think it's much better as it's easier and more straightforward to get the ones you want (and more cost-efficient) with the market being involved. Boosters are just that, there's no "craft the shitty ones for a decent one" other than recycling 20 cards to get a ticket (this was because people got dupes of basic cards at the start and there's nothing you can do with them since literally everyone gets them when you buy the game). Getting these tickets is not anywhere close to the most efficient way to get the cards you want, when you can just buy them on market for usually cents, sometimes dollars. It's better than a gacha system where you have to keep pulling until you get the ones you want, or merge a TON of your bad pulls into the one you want.

Mar 29, 2018

Yanger put it well above. There was also an excellent thread on it months ago, maybe search the forum for a couple of threads. Yeah it's something like buying individual packs as per a "traditional" card game was a great idea but basically meant you might be throwing away tons of money for packs with no guarantee it'll be anywhere near useful or you'll get lots of duplicates - and everybody else is doing the same so they won't buy the duplicates - or something.

I don't have a super deep grasp on it!

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really, but I think it's much better as it's easier and more straightforward to get the ones you want (and more cost-efficient) with the market being involved. Boosters are just that, there's no "craft the shitty ones for a decent one" other than recycling 20 cards to get a ticket (this was because people got dupes of basic cards at the start and there's nothing you can do with them since literally everyone gets them when you buy the game). Getting these tickets is not anywhere close to the most efficient way to get the cards you want, when you can just buy them on market for usually cents, sometimes dollars. It's better than a gacha system where you have to keep pulling until you get the ones you want, or merge a TON of your bad pulls into the one you want.
There is a floor for dust acquisition in a game like hearthstone. y'know how much you'll ever pay for the most expensive card in HS? Far less than you would've paid for Axe or Drow when Artifact wasn't dead. It's not like you're just beholden to pulling the lever over and over. That's not really any different.

The difference is you'll pay MORE for a bad hearthstone legendary than a bad artifact rare, even when Artifact was at its peak. But that seems like a good problem to have when you can craft the good ones for much less.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
There is a floor for dust acquisition in a game like hearthstone. y'know how much you'll ever pay for the most expensive card in HS? Far less than you would've paid for Axe or Drow when Artifact wasn't dead. It's not like you're just beholden to pulling the lever over and over. That's not really any different.

The difference is you'll pay MORE for a bad hearthstone legendary than a bad artifact rare, even when Artifact was at its peak. But that seems like a good problem to have when you can craft the good ones for much less.
You also have to play a ton of games to get gold for card packs, open the card packs, dust the duplicates, hope you have enough dust to make the card you wanted. Sure, it's not money you have to pay for the card packs, but it's a grind for sure. I used to play HearthStone.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You also have to play a ton of games to get gold for card packs, open the card packs, dust the duplicates, hope you have enough dust to make the card you wanted. Sure, it's not money you have to pay for the card packs, but it's a grind for sure. I used to play HearthStone.
uh, you can just buy the packs.

This is turning into the same ridiculous argument as the artifact monetization thread, where somehow the ability to both buy AND earn packs is worse than strictly having to buy packs like artifact. That is crazy talk btw.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Valve laying off freakin Richard Garfield deserves a title update or new thread. That's nuts.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
uh, you can just buy the packs.

This is turning into the same ridiculous argument as the artifact monetization thread, where somehow the ability to both buy AND earn packs is worse than strictly having to buy packs like artifact. That is crazy talk btw.
I'm aware you can just buy the packs, and thus you're spending more money on those.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware you can just buy the packs, and thus you're spending more money on those.
That's the point: You spend LESS money buying packs, dusting every card in those packs, than you do buying Drow or Axe. Any Hearthstone card in existence was cheaper than the high end artifact cards. That's the ENTIRE point. It's why the notion that somehow those other digital TCGs are 'gacha' and Artifact isn't is ridiculous. Whether you open a pack in ARtifact or not, it is gacha based and you are paying real money for the gacha odds even if you buy singles, because the EV of the pack is what is expressed onto the market value of the cards. This ALSO prevents them from giving away meaningful amounts of packs for free because it actually negatively impacts the dollar of your customers, where HS due to not having trading doesn't have to concern itself with that and can give away as many packs as they want without it devaluing the singles market (the dust rate).

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Valve laying off freakin Richard Garfield deserves a title update or new thread. That's nuts.
Sounds more like they just didn't renew his and Skaff's and whoever else's contracts, but I guess that sounds more mundane. Pretty sure even if it was a success he would only be on as needed, just like with Magic.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
That's the point: You spend LESS money buying packs, dusting every card in those packs, than you do buying Drow or Axe. Any Hearthstone card in existence was cheaper than the high end artifact cards. That's the ENTIRE point. It's why the notion that somehow those other digital TCGs are 'gacha' and Artifact isn't is ridiculous. Whether you open a pack in ARtifact or not, it is gacha based and you are paying real money for the gacha odds even if you buy singles, because the EV of the pack is what is expressed onto the market value of the cards. This ALSO prevents them from giving away meaningful amounts of packs for free because it actually negatively impacts the dollar of your customers, where HS due to not having trading doesn't have to concern itself with that and can give away as many packs as they want without it devaluing the singles market (the dust rate).
Drow and Axe are outliers, meanwhile the rest of the cards were pretty cheap. You don't NEED Drow and Axe to win games, but they are the best heroes in the game. Drow and Axe were ridiculously priced in the beginning, right now they're dirt cheap (Drow is less than a dollar, Axe is $2.50). I wasn't saying Artifact 100% wasn't gacha, as it still is to a degree since that's the nature of random packs existing.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
I've been obsessed with slay the spire and was looking for some other card games. Looked hard at artifact over the weekend but it just seems like a lost cause at this point

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Richard Garfield's role was always going to be front loaded. Lots of work designing the core gameplay, lots of input on the monetization and distribution, but not much with developing expansions. That's kind of what he does.

Am I crazy or was news of his leaving made public like a month ago? Feels like this is being rehashed.

Not that it matters. Keep him or fire him, the game is regularly dipping to a few hundred concurrent players. Going F2P might help but I think the main problem is Valve made a digital board game for a market that likes card games. Three fields of stuff, dice roles determining so many big plays, a match can easily take 30 minutes, and it's not like they needed to copy Hearthstone or Magic but those games are very popular, take place on a single screen, and matches can be over in less than 5 minutes. Valve went in the completely opposite direction of the market. The audience stayed with the market leaders.