• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can think of a handful of single player DLC that doesn't feel/look like content chopped out to fill a season pass or DLC quota. Spider Man being the most egregious recent example.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I like when a rando on Twitter tries to debate a well-researched journalist without using any facts.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It is very hard to get reinvested in something. It's why I wait for the Complete Editions of games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It sucks, but I absolutely believe it. Games have a quick turnaround now. It's only when I hear rave reviews do I think to go back and pick up bonus story DLC for big games from months past.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Makes more sense to make them standalone games at a reduced price.

Most people end up complaining about it if it's DLC or are just done with the game and don't care about going back.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well 1 - 2 hours dlc suck balls, didnt like the ff xv dlcs one bit safe for the ignis one. give me expansion packs like mofugging torna and other stuff like they did in ye olde days

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So that's why Torna was standalone as well, like how Jason mentioned Uncharted LL?

Could it be because it being purely digital makes some people unaware of its existence?

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how Spiderman does in relation to this...

Can definitely see this being true. I guess if you're making single player DLC you might as well commit more resources to a standalone version that can grab a wider audience, and have a bigger price point.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I've ever bought single player story dlc. It's just often not high on my priority list.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they're realizing the old style, actual game expansion quasi-sequel is a better idea than DLC chunks that feel like they should've been part of the original package to begin with.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I can think of a handful of single player DLC that doesn't feel/look like content chopped out to fill a season pass or DLC quota. Spider Man being the most egregious recent example.
none of that was chopped out of the game, it was all built separately.

*shrug*

The ERA special

b8d1xdbt.png

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Just release the DLC day 1. My biggest gripe with single player DLC is that they launch months after I have the game uninstalled from my console.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with SP DLC is the timing. It always comes out months after I'm done with the main game. And then I have moved on to other games and will wait for a discount.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right. Can't remember any specifics, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time someone's said this.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Story DLC's are inherently very limited in their appeal to people that

a) Bought the game (duh)
b) Didn't resold the game in trade-in programs
c) Enjoyed the game
d) Feel a strong desire to play more of it

Not even mentioning the fact that DLC's often tend to be fairly expensive compared to the maingame.

There's no reason not to make them stand-alone if possible, because then you can sell them to people that might weren't interested in the maingame but are interested in the expansion because of the new characters or whatever.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of it struggles to really stand out, or is integrated poorly. Lot ofX sidestory that really happened alongside the game but you just didn't see it and also you have to awkwardly load an old save, or just totally devoid of real story in general. Many don't like to move the story or characters forward, or offer poor value propositions.

Though there are like 5 DLCs on the steam top sellers charts. All games that seem to have some sort of mutiplayer functionality but still have real beefy single player content.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's because most single player DLC is no good. People don't want to spend $10-15 for 3 hour content with most of it being repetitive activities copied from the main game and maybe an hour or less of actual story content. People are finally realizing the full sized expansion model we used to have is far more preferable to the DLC model that started last gen.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
On some level, every one of us knew this. That's why so many games sell their unmade DLC at the same time as their main game releases via Deluxe/Gold Editions - when the game is still fresh in people's heads. You are essentially kick-starting DLC from major corporations - because they can't financially justify single-player DLC in most cases otherwise. And now Jason just confirmed it.

...Very sad.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
So that's why Torna was standalone as well, like how Jason mentioned Uncharted LL?

Could it be because it being purely digital makes some people unaware of its existence?
I suspect it's a demographics and perception issue.

Heavy singleplayer gamers often just go through a game and then move on forever, whereas multiplayer gamers are staying with a title continually or frequently returning for events and the like.

A new standalone release, even though they often don't have astonishing sales, at least gives the impression to potential buyers that it's a sizable experience worth going back for instead of a small amount of content for a game they stopped caring about, and is usually accompanied by a larger marketing campaign since they have to convince customers to buy a $30-$40 product (retailer margins and licensing fees make it difficult to sell a game at retail below that price point).

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I used to play all of them but this year I quit. I realized I was playing them out of obligation instead of actually having fun. It's just not worth it to reinvest in a game. I enjoyed my 60 hours with Assassin's Creed Odyssey but it's over and I'm not going to remember the controls, the mechanics or what's going on months from now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bummer, that's my favorite kind of dlc.
i wonder how well nintendo's recent single player dlcs have done. splatoon, xenoblade, botw, etc.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
No surprise there. Most of it is way overpriced and very short.
If they were actual expansions like we got back in the day maybe things would be different.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think because it's either too soon, so branded cut-content or too late and most have moved on.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Personally I'd never buy any. Once I've finished a single player game I'm never coming back to it - I know the story

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Among all of the single player DLC in the post-expansion pack era I've played, only two lived up to the quality of the original game

Shadow Broker and Taken King. I'm sure Forsaken would qualify, but the vast majority of SP DLC is just...not up to par.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I can only speak for myself but I don't get excited for SP DLC outside of the Souls franchise. I want SP games to end when they end. I don't want some tacked on coda.

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
DLC is rarely worth playing even on great games. Who can be bothered learning the controls again and immersing yourself after moving on to other games.

HZD was the perfect example of this for me recently, can't get into frozen lands or what ever it's called.

Witcher 3 is one notable exception but even then I only finished one of the DLC before getting bored half way through the second.

Last edited:

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It seems we're going full circle... we started at medium sized expansion packs, went to smaller DLCs and returning to bigger ones for example in the form of stand alone games.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
This is why they push the season pass before the game even launches, guaranteed money, just look at trophy percentages for main game completion compared to the easiest dlc trophy, it'll usually be in the 1-5% range.
I've bought complete editions and never even beat the single player game let alone the dlc.
I don't usually finish a game and finding myself wanting more, if anything I could do with games being shorter and cutting the fat.

Going back to buying dlc/ gold editions at launch, there's probably a like a quarter as likely to buy dlc after I buy a game then before I buy it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks, but makes sense. Multiplayer DLC is repeatable, and encourages prolonged retention. Single player DLC often costs as much as a third of a game (since that's essentially what it is), and is generally built to be played once.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Something worth pointing out for some of the most celebrated (and well-integrated-into-the-main-game) DLC out there (like for Bloodborne/The Witcher 3/Horizon: Zero Dawn):

*just like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider*, this DLC got monetized with full game sales in the form of "complete edition" versions of the base game.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it, I barely have time to finish a game's on-disc SP content, why would I spend money for more?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
makes sense to me. I've already moved on by the time it comes out. learned my lesson not to buy it way back with mass effect 3

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Its true. By the time the DLC comes out Ive already moved on to something else no matter how good it is (Horizon and Spider-Man for example).

Its a tough tough balancing act. Release the DLC too soon after launch and people get upset for being nickel and dimed. Release it too late and people have lost interest and moved on.

Oct 27, 2017
I have never once purchased sp dlc.. Even if I absolutely love the game. Never purchases dlc for dishonored, horizon zero dawn, bioshock, Skyrim, Zelda, ect. Hell if god of war came out with dlc I wouldnt purchase that either and that game is my game of the century.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many don't bother to even finish the main campaign to plenty of games, so I don't at all doubt this.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
The sunset overdrive ontent was great. Solid single player content that added to the Multi (weapons, etc.)

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised. Most people don't even finish story modes. I also think it's fair to say most DLC kind of sucks, especially compared to the main game. Granted, I've only bought extra content for a handful of games, but critical reception is usually much lower, too.

I like the standalone approach that's been coming back lately. It's still basically repackaged DLC, but at least it's much more substantial.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Most of the time when I do buy single player DLC it's because I like the game and the DLC is set during the main campaign, like if it was taken off from the game; like in AC2, Mafia 2, Human Revolution.
I don't feel interested in DLC unless it's part of the story.