• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
When people think of Spider-Man villains, big names like the Green Goblin, Venom, Doctor Octopus and the Kingpin show up, but I think Kraven has rightfully established himself as one of Spider-Man's biggest enemies. Kraven's Last Hunt actually has him winning and proving himself superior. The scary thing is he could have killed Peter right there and then. He was the first Superior Spider-Man:

611xacur01L.jpg

z41vzzt77xfy.jpg

And then he's insane enough to kill himself. He was chilling through the whole story honestly:

tumblr_pozagdqIBx1su2of1o10_1280.jpg

And when he comes back from the grave, he hunts not only Spider-Man related characters but his own family. He's so insane that Spider-Man almost kills him:
amazingspiderman-grimhunt25.jpg

Spider-Man's clone Kaine is apalled by his insanity and unhealthy desire for death:

3zzverw.jpg

He even clones himself and has his clones kill each other and is proud of one who hunted them all. Not to mention how he hunted costumed animal heroes in the Hunted Storyline

images

ASM-16-spoilers-Kraven-5-300x462.jpg

ASM-16-spoilers-Kraven-6-300x462.jpg

His obession with the black suit is creepy as he alway makes Spider-Man wear it when they fight. Honestly, Kraven is seriously one of the most depraved and chilling villains among Spider-Man's rogues

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually really weird to me. I got most of my spiderman knowledge from the old cartoon, where I think he sort of became Spider-Man's ally. I never knew he was such a crazy character.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Reason why I'm kind of looking forward to Kraven's Sony movie if they go through with it. I want them to go as far as they can with the character.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
marvel would be insane to not have him be the main villain in the next Spiderman movie

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Whereas Spider-Man inspires Eddie Brock and Venom to do better, I think Peter and Kraven just bring out the worst in each other.

I'd love to see Tom Holland's Peter face him in a Kraven's Last Hunt adaptation when he's older...I don't want them to rush into it.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Kraven already had the realization that his obsession with Spider-Man was extremely unhealthy. This is old news.

squirrel-girl-kraven.jpg

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm excited for how he's going to be adapted on the big screen (come on, we all know the next movie sets itself up perfectly for this villain)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels often less like the same character and more "We have to top Last Hunt so we're gonna go crrraaazy"

That story broke the character and should have remained his final story. Most of the other events listed in the OP are kind of garbage.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope he is the next villain for the next Spider-man movie, it would actually fit the premise of Peter being on the run

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I only know him from Ultimate, especially his first appearance, where he's a big joke, and it plays really well IMO. So it's weird to hear people talk about him as a real villain and a threat to Spidey. Apparently the real Kraven has, like, a magic potion that gives him super strength and the like so he can go toe-to-toe with him?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I liked how they handled him in Spectacular Spider-Man

When he first gets the drop on Spidey, he's threatening for about ten seconds before Peter goes "no superpowers? lmao get on my level, jackass" and Kraven jobs super hard. Then he willingly gets experimented on and becomes a big mutant lion man, and easily overwhelms Spider-Man in their next fight.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed the comics for years did they actually resurrect OG Kraven after Last Hunt? I get that he lives on with all the reboot and Unlimited series and shit but his death arc was poetic.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels often less like the same character and more "We have to top Last Hunt so we're gonna go crrraaazy"

That story broke the character and should have remained his final story. Most of the other events listed in the OP are kind of garbage.
There's a reason why a lot of people were upset that his redemption in Squirrel Girl's comics didn't stick, because it was a new and legitimately interesting direction for him.

Though, really, Squirrel Girl does Kraven in a new and interesting way just so well, so no wonder people were annoyed that other writers basically ignored that and went back to riding on the coattails of Last Hunt.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only know him from Ultimate, especially his first appearance, where he's a big joke, and it plays really well IMO. So it's weird to hear people talk about him as a real villain and a threat to Spidey. Apparently the real Kraven has, like, a magic potion that gives him super strength and the like so he can go toe-to-toe with him?

If they wanted Kraven to be a serious threat in, say, a Spiderman movie, I would focus less on being able to match Spidey's strength and more on outsmarting him with special weapons and strategy. Then, when Kraven inevitably loses and is headhunted for the Sinister Six, Doc Ock can give him an upgraded toolkit made from vibranium or something.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Spectacular Spiderman had him get immediately trounced by Spiderman as a joke and coming back with lion powers to justify him being able to fight Spiderman

Comic and the 90s cartoon like you said have him get magic serum to be strong to fight Spiderman

Funny enough when Kraven died he was replaced with his son who was basically just Kraven 2.0 to continue having kraven and he was a mutant with Kraven Kraven powers

That dude was able to almost beat Black panther but a black panther that lost his powers and gadgets so he was just a dude with high intelligence and world class fighting ability lol and storm was helping

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Kraven is right next to Skurge in the category of "Death Scenes So Good They Are On The DNR List"

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Black panther beat Kraven so bad the Avengers had to save him?

Slayven remembers

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine spending like 30 issues building up and bringing back Kraven from the Dead only for him to not show up in a Spider-Man comic for a decade and then immediately killed again because his revival was fucking stupid.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Wasn't Kraven being driven crazy by Calypso in Last Hunt. Wouldn't that demote him to useful pawn rather than mastermind villain?

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
"Powers of captain America" loses to a dude with cheap homade gadgets bought shitty stores

He fought a kraven again later on and had a harder time without powers
Powers of captain america and the ability to turn things into energy and phase it through people. Hench the Impaler part

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
While we flashing back, I can't believe Namor really thought T'Challa was playing. T'challa sat there and did the wakandian versions of "I swear on all that I am", "I swear on my mama's name", "Ok playboy, I got something for you in the trunk, "Junebug tell mama I ain't coming home", etc And did nothing, he really thought it was a game

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man's webshooters are homemade gadgets...
He still had powers unlike panther
Also what does that say about his villains losing to a kid with web fluid

(I love the moment when panther had some difficulty fighting a dumb villain went to a bunch of stores bought appliances and chemicals and had better shit than the police and he was living in a shitty apartment with no money)

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
While we flashing back, I can't believe Namor really thought T'Challa was playing. T'challa sat there and did the wakandian versions of "I swear on all that I am", "I swear on my mama's name", "Ok playboy, I got something for you in the trunk, "Junebug tell mama I ain't coming home", etc And did nothing, he really thought it was a game
Namor is an egotistical asshole and borderline supervillain who is somehow friends with everyone

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I remember picking up 4 or 5 of the parts when they came out on newsstands or on my earliest trips to a comic store. I must've been 9 years looking at the release dates (that seems young so maybe I got back issues a year or two later). I remember loving the story, how different it felt from other superhero stories I read (I know now other mainstream 'dark' superhero tales came before it, but it was the first time I had seen it). It wasn't until years later that I learnt of Kraven's fate in that story (I didn't initially get part 5) but it would've only added to the craziness of the story.

I don't usually like when Spider-Man becomes a brooding hero, but DeMatteis always made it work (yes, even when he put Spidey in a cocoon during the clone saga, though it's been decades since I read it!). Whenever he was the writer on a Spider-Man story I knew I was in for a treat. I'm now going through his run on Justice League with Keith Giffen and it's great for totally different reasons (a much lighter tone). If anyone can recommend any of his other work, I'm all ears!

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Superior Spider-Man was kind of Last Hunt and Spiderverse was basically Grim Hunt.
But Kraven was never in Mr. Slott's run.