• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
i wasn't expecting them as playable (beyond maybe a mii costume) so this is neat
weird that they're using sprites instead of actual art though

also this means they've talked to arcsys đź‘€

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh that's cool.
Two batches of new spirits so close to each other (not counting the Three Houses batch coming with Byleth)

If Kunio-Kun is "out"... what does that say about Double Dragon? Hmmmm

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man a Double Dragon fighter would be great. Do another type of partner mechanic if they aren't gonna do Rex and Pyra.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
More likely Sol Badguy.

Come on. Sol? Jimmy and Billy has appeared on every Nintendo virtual console, they had a saturday morning cartoon and a live action movie starring Alyssa Milano and Scott Wolf!

Guilty Gear has only appeared on Nintendo systems twice: That crappy GBA game and the recent Switch re-release. And that weird DS game that was... something else.

Billy and Jimmy way too iconic to be skipped, they're up there with Terry and Ryu.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on. Sol? Jimmy and Billy has appeared on every Nintendo virtual console, they had a saturday morning cartoon and a live action movie starring Alyssa Milano and Scott Wolf!

Guilty Gear has only appeared on Nintendo systems twice: That crappy GBA game and the recent Switch re-release.

Billy and Jimmy way too iconic to be skipped, they're up there with Terry and Ryu.
"Allow me to introduce myself."
main.png

I also just frankly they can do more with Sol both moveset and representation wise. I'm sure they could make something fun for the Lee's but I just find Guilty Gear a lot more interesting.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I've never played a Guilty Gear game before, but Sol Badguy in Smash would be pretty rad.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
"Allow me to introduce myself."
main.png

I also just frankly they can do more with Sol both moveset and representation wise. I'm sure they could make something fun for the Lee's but I just find Guilty Gear a lot more interesting.

Oh come on. Joker is a representative of whole SMT franchise, again a super iconic RPG series that had tens of entries on Nintendo. It's not even comparable to Guilty Gear.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Oh come on. Joker is a representative of whole SMT franchise, again a super iconic RPG series that had tens of entries on Nintendo. It's not even comparable to Guilty Gear.
They sure as hell don't treat Joker as an SMT representative. His stage and spirits are devoid of anything that's not Persona, Jack Frost, the mascot of SMT and Atlus itself, doesn't even make a cameo.

Guilty Gear is ArcSys's primary franchise just like Persona is for Atlus. If they get a Smash character, it's gonna be Sol.

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Joker represents MegaTen.....by not actually having anything from MegaTen. Heck he doesn't even have anything from his one appearance(at the time) on a Nintendo system.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it, Sol and Ky's moveset inspirations are already in Smash. Ky's supposed to be the shoto with his uppercut and fireball. Sol's somewhere between that and Terry Bogard, with his ground-traveling projectile (Gun Flame / Power Wave), rolling forward kick (Bandit Revolver / Crack Shoot), jumping forward punch (Bandit Bringer / Power Dunk).

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Smash needs some Beat-em-up representation. Billy and Jimmy Lee for Smash.

Their Neutral B could be to generate a random weapon that they drop when they get knocked down. Side B a jumping knee. Up B is the spin kick. Down B maybe some kind of command grab?

Final smash they kick their opponent off a building.

Billy and Jimmy Lee for Smash.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Guilty Gear is ArcSys's primary franchise just like Persona is for Atlus. If they get a Smash character, it's gonna be Sol.

Blazblue is bigger and more popular these days, I think Jin Kisaragi comes before Sol.

I can't believe there are people who think it's unlikely for Billy and Jimmy to be in! They were huge during my childhood, almost as big as Mario. Every kid knew who they were, even those who never played any DD. Toys were sold everywhere, cartoon was on TV.

Falique

Oct 30, 2017

Guilty Gear has only appeared on Nintendo systems twice: That crappy GBA game and the recent Switch re-release. And that weird DS game that was... something else.

Come On

Come On

Hey Hey Come On Come on

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Oh, man... Kunio would be SO fun in Smash! The River City Girls would be rad mirror characters as well! Basically, anyone from the Kunio-Kun series would be better than another Fire Emblem character, haha!

I also love the look of the pixel art stages in Smash, so they could do another out front of the high school or the shops.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
This is super cool! I hope this means we'll see spirit events for other older games. Still waiting on some goddamn StarTropics spirits.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Blazblue is bigger and more popular these days, I think Jin Kisaragi comes before Sol.

I can't believe there are people who think it's unlikely for Billy and Jimmy to be in! They were huge during my childhood, almost as big as Mario. Every kid knew who they were, even those who never played any DD. Toys were sold everywhere, cartoon was on TV.
Don't forget the shitty movie.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Sol Badguy is Daisuke's golden boy.

If any character from ASW is going to be use for Smash, it's going to be him.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Even if they go for Blazblue, they'd probably pick Ragna first.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

There were two Guilty Gear XX games on the Wii btw.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
Please tell me River City Girls music is coming with them

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tfw one of your dream picks is aknowledged in Smash, but under the clause that they probably won't be a fighter for the next 5 years at the very least.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this makes an ASW rep more likely or not but as someone who has Ragna on his top 5 most wanted list I'm crossing my fingers.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Spirit boards are fast becoming the "Deconfirmed as character" that assist trophies and mii costumes are and I hope one of the second pass characters can break any of these arbitrary rules that makes discussions more frustrating.

PS. I will also accept Sol Badguy in smash as well. Make sure he has his Dragon Install and it overrides the music as well.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This news actually kind of depresses me, Kunio was one of my favorite characters as a dark horse candidate to make the playable roster, a real legacy character that the Smash team could have had a ton of fun with and with ridiculous moveset potential. Losing this bid not even a week after Volume 2 was announced is deflating, and kinda drives home the point to me that likely none of the characters that would actually hype me are gonna make it in.

Still, cool to see them in Smash at all, even if I think this particular set of four spirits kinda feels a bit weak.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've been saying Kunio-kun should be in Smash for a while. He was one of the console's most visible stars back in the Famicom days.