• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OH SHIIIIIEEEET
I mean I've seen this already but it's awesome to have a legal option when I want to rewatch it, which I'll probably do this week now.
The only other movie from a series I like that is on Crunchyroll is Bungo Stray Dogs - Dead Apple and that's pretty recent. I wonder if they're going to have more movies going forward. I hope so.

Also this is still the most hype OP

Apr 24, 2018
Hmm been a while since I saw the show - hope the movie is decent, and I may check it out. That being said, this series never lived up to Slam Dunk for me, but that could just be solely due to nostalgia...

Apr 24, 2018
I should check out Slam Dunk one day. I hear really good things and I absolutely love Kuroko.
You definitely should - it's great, and seeing as how you like Kuroko, I'd be very surprised if you didn't like Slam Dunk. I'm not a huge sports anime fan (but love sports!), but Hajime no Ippo and Slam Dunk are two shows I'd recommend to almost anyone that likes anime.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You definitely should - it's great, and seeing as how you like Kuroko, I'd be very surprised if you didn't like Slam Dunk. I'm not a huge sports anime fan (but love sports!), but Hajime no Ippo and Slam Dunk are two shows I'd recommend to almost anyone that likes anime.
Nice. Looking forward to trying it. I think I'll try the manga sometime in the new year and maybe watch the anime as well.
(Ippo is another one I've been meaning to check out lol)

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
dragonball basketball backkkkkk

anyhow I wish the phantom shot bro got a run in this film, idc his skill was better than boring ass jump good kagami

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
Good ol' Kuroko. Still mad my boi Aomine was done dirty so early in the anime though. The movie was pretty good, will probably rewatch it for the Kise hype.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I should check out Slam Dunk one day. I hear really good things and I absolutely love Kuroko.
Honestly slam dunk kinda sucks. I was told I should judge it through the lens of basketball being new to japan and to appreciate its basic ass display of skills in that light. The animation itself wasnt bad but you can watch actual basketball games that have more impressive action and moves. It's like the anti kuroko.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly slam dunk kinda sucks. I was told I should judge it through the lens of basketball being new to japan and to appreciate its basic ass display of skills in that light. The animation itself wasnt bad but you can watch actual basketball games that have more impressive action and moves. It's like the anti kuroko.
This almost gave me heartburn. What you wanted was DragonBasketball Z, which is honestly fine to want, and Kuroko was incredibly entertaining with its NBA level cast. But it doesn't have that level of tension or complexity that Slam Dunk has, where every victory was earned and you could actually understand the logical break down of the game. It seems simple because it emulates actual HS basketball, where a switch up is complex, an alley is insane and a slam dunk is rarely seen during a game. The alternative is E21's use of imagery to describe moves in a flashy way but they're a figment of imagination.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I told myself I was going straight home and go to bed right after work. Now,.... I don't know. I really want to see this.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This almost gave me heartburn. What you wanted was DragonBasketball Z, which is honestly fine to want, and Kuroko was incredibly entertaining with its NBA level cast. But it doesn't have that level of tension or complexity that Slam Dunk has, where every victory was earned and you could actually understand the logical break down of the game. It seems simple because it emulates actual HS basketball, where a switch up is complex, an alley is insane and a slam dunk is rarely seen during a game. The alternative is E21's use of imagery to describe moves in a flashy way but they're a figment of imagination.
I played a little pathetic summer league basketball in high school. I watched better, for the purposes of this argument, players play in high school. I played at the Y pick up games in high school and middle. Slam dunk is like an introduction to basketball in what they display whereas Kuruko is like watching people that actually understand the game. Yeah it's over the top but slam dunk is like baby's first basketball.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I played a little pathetic summer league basketball in high school. I watched better, for the purposes of this argument, players play in high school. I played at the Y pick up games in high school and middle. Slam dunk is like an introduction to basketball in what they display whereas Kuruko is like watching people that actually understand the game. Yeah it's over the top but slam dunk is like baby's first basketball.
Dude, Kuroko ain't bball its dragonball z in disguise lmao

Slam dunk anime had budget issue but the manga is hyper realistic basketball goodness drawn by one of the GOAT manga artist

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this shit and fuck the backwards ass writers who wrote it.

I'm 10 minutes in and this is some racist ass garbage already. I should have quit at the 6 minute mark but I held on to see how it would play out.

Strike number one was the white kid being in charge. I accept this, more or less, in multiple situations in anime just because the alternative would be a black person in a stereotypical role. They obviously want what they draw as a handsome white dude as the ringleader... of an American street ball team. Whatever.

Strike number two was white dude saying some stupid, over the top, racist, shit representing the whole team to some kinda way justify this whole jingoistic affair.

Strike three was even turning this into what it became. The creators ruined the show for me. I'm not going to finish this garbage as there's really no way for them to right the course. They got high schoolers chiling in a club drinking like they're grown men.

I used to love it. but now I'm like fuck this show and its creators.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Fuck this shit and fuck the backwards ass writers who wrote it.

I'm 10 minutes in and this is some racist ass garbage already. I should have quit at the 6 minute mark but I held on to see how it would play out.

Strike number one was the white kid being in charge. I accept this, more or less, in multiple situations in anime just because the alternative would be a black person in a stereotypical role. They obviously want what they draw as a handsome white dude as the ringleader... of an American street ball team. Whatever.

Strike number two was white dude saying some stupid, over the top, racist, shit representing the whole team to some kinda way justify this whole jingoistic affair.

Strike three was even turning this into what it became. The creators ruined the show for me. I'm not going to finish this garbage as there's really no way for them to right the course. They got high schoolers chiling in a club drinking like they're grown men.

I used to love it. but now I'm like fuck this show and its creator's.

Yeah. The two black dudes that get any development in the series (the super tall exchange student and the dude in this movie) are lazy and arrogant dudes that rely entirely on their superior physical abilities and finally get overwhelmed by the hard working Japanese characters. Then apparently in the author's next manga about golfing one of the opponent is a black guy from South Africa nicknamed Bigfoot whose special trait is just to be freakishly strong. And then on a colour cover he's represented by an ape. It's blatant as fuck.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I love how the Kagami scene at the beginning is never contrasted or explained away so the whole movie is just "Kagami never liked Japanese basketball compared to American street ball, nothing in the series changed who he was" and he just tells them all y'all ain't shit, I'm out lol

Like how much of an asshat can one man be, such a wet fart of an ending, it was dumb in the manga and its dumb here. And it manages to retroactively ruin the ending of the series proper by having the entire Kiseki learn nothing and go back to being selfish dinks who will leave to go pro the minute they can.

And yes, the black players are beyond problematic and its super gross and shameful.