• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My mum was working in Qatar on secondment a few years ago

She said the temperature regularly hit 50-53 but that the government lies about the temperature officially. Because construction workers are not legally allowed to work when the temperature hits 50, so it's "never hotter than 49"

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Damn these poor souls.

Winter ftw

Quebec-Fairmont-Hotel-Orbitz.jpg

Isn't that Quebec City?

A tad bit further north of the Equator, no?

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
That's fucking awful. And I thought it was bad when I lived in Vegas before moving to LA, and it was between 110-115 degrees every fricking day. At least at night it would drop down to a cool 90. /s

I hope everyone is being safe, especially children and the elderly.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering, cars work fine and air conditioning makes it so that you wouldn't even know it's hot outside in most houses and interiors.

Except electrocity in my house has been cut off for over an hour now for the first time in quite a while. I also work in road paving during nights and even though it's much cooler at nights, asphalt temperatures are within the 150-180 celsius range so that's nice.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BTW OP 51 is not the highest temperature recorded even in that area. It's closer to 56. 134 degrees which specifically is the ambient temperature of the air since surfaces and immediate radiation of those surfaces can get way hotter. Worst sunburn I ever had was after a day running around on the rockpools and beaches at Cramond Island in Scotland. It was about 65 degrees F and cloudy. Which for us was a blazing crucible of deadly fire. By teatime, I looked like the Uncle from Hellraiser. Here is a shot of us Scottish kids running around Cramond village in August for reference:

VLwMPAf.jpg

Here's me stupidly exposing too much skin on Cramond Island at noon:

aq7zVqM.jpg

Here is my mum slathering some calamine lotion and SPF Infinite on me albeit too late:

DIK51ue.jpg

I feel like I would enjoy Kuwait because they say it's a dry heat!

For reals tho, the hottest place I have ever knowingly been, thanks to its five storey thermometer tourist attraction was Baker CA. My girlfriend and I were driving to Vegas - we were in her Miata which could not at the time support AC and drive over the pass from LA without overheating, so we drive up through the mountains with AC off, but it was nighttime and the speed and altitude helped. We had the convertible top down and it was quite beautiful, but it was getting hotter as it got darker, which feels crazy.

As we descended into the low desert near Baker, we put the top back up and blasted the AC. LUXURY. But... we needed gas. We were not going to make it from Baker to Vegas without filling up and we were at the last gas station we knew about. It's midnight. The temperature is 125 degrees Fahrenheit according to the giant thermometer. AND THERE IS A LOCUST SWARM STTTLED ON THE GAS STATION. I shit you not. Every single surface in the gas station and every inch of the car, was covered in large, heavy, rock hard skittering flying noisemaking locusts. I don't know precisely which kind - but they were the same size as the mongo grasshoppers you see in COsta Rica. Like, easily sparrow sized. One of them is sort of beautiful in a way. But ten million of them - not so much.

I pretended I wasn't completely freaked out and had to brush heavy, living creatures off the gas pump and the car to fill it up and occasionally knock them off me, or get hit in the face as they flew lazily around.

I'm from Scotland where the largest bug you'll see typically is a butterfly or a bumble bee. We have some absolute BASTARD insects - like midges (imagine a thick dense cloud of large daytime mosquitoes that don't drink blood but bite you because they are hateful bastards) and Clegs (Cleg is to horsefly as Japanese Hornet is to honeybee - in attitude and bite force) but nothing BIG. So it still blows my mind when I see a Potato Bug or a Locust or a Tarantula.

Last edited:

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Now imagine not having air conditioning. I used to work in Saudi Arabia, and my ac went out once for a few days. I thought I was going to die.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I live in Vegas, and I don't think we've ever hit 120. Close a few times, but every summer we top out in the high teens, 116, 118.

126 is insane. What's more insane is that these records won't hold for long...

You kid, but me personally, 110 in Vegas with low humidity is a walk in the park compared to 90 degrees in Chicago with 90% plus humidity.

True. The worst heat I've ever felt was not here in Vegas at 115+. It was in Missouri. 100 degrees, 100% humidity, the radio said. I can personally confirm that the human body's cooling system does not work in those conditions.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never mind the world, this is actually not even a record for Kuwait. A temperature of 54 degrees was measured in 2016 (and the same in 2013 in Death Valley).

The world record is currently 56.7 degrees in Death Valley.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
You feel every degree above 100. I can't imagine anything above 110. That seems like some shit from another world.

Disagree. Once it gets over 108 or so it just doesn't matter anymore. I've done full days of work that ranged from 105 to 115 degrees over the course of the day and I honestly don't notice it much as long as there's water available. At that temperature your sweat evaporates before it can even be on your skin so at least it's a dry heat, lol

I much, much prefer heat over cold, though, so obviously YMMV.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've been in the middle East when it was 113 degrees. It was unbearable to be in direct sunlight and intense even in shade.

This is insane.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Part of why global warming is so scary is that I've long suspected a link between oppressively warm climates and struggling economies/political violence.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Once you get passed a certain temperature it doesn't matter. It's just fucking hot, it all feels the same.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
That's twice my ideal temperature.

I live in a mild climate for a reason. We're having rare high temps right now and I'm miserable, and it's still 40 F cooler than Kuwait.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My sister is currently there for work. What few minutes she spends outside she says are insane.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Let me assure you, it feels even worse than you imagine. Like a layer of flame over your skin, growing more violent by the second. It is deadly in every sense of the word, including the literal. A/C is as natural and necessary as water here, and thankfully there's plenty of solutions for homes, cars and small structures that get the job done.

One thing I learned from my years spent in the States: Bodies adjust to cold temperatures over generations, to a certain degree at least. But this? There's no adjusting to this. This is humanity defying the laws of nature through artificial, mad-made technology and engineering.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Who cares? All we need to do is just pretend this shit isnt happening and it'll go away...simple. Like we have been. I mean, the sky isnt falling right? Who needs a bold plan of action when we have to worry about the profits of the energy industry too

Swauny Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a report a few years ago that global warming would make Kuwait a deadzone in less than 10 years because of how high the temperature is getting there..

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'm also from Quebec and we had around 30C this weekend. Thing is, it's not even summer yet.

Being honest though, this spring has below average temperatures in Quebec. It's been pretty cold in March, April and May. So much that cutltures are quite late and some trees haven't bloomed yet.