• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Now imagine how hot it is in cars that have been sitting all day.

I'm not insufferably hot until 112 or so, but I'm not going to be eager for this Las Vegas summer.

I used to work at a car dealership and had to get in cars that were sitting in the sun all day. It sucked a lot. I remember one customer had a thermometer in the air vents, and when I got in it was reading close to 160°F (71°C). That's when you run the AC and stand outside for like a minute for the inside to cool down. I'm sure the air inside wasn't actually that hot as it was probably reading the dash temperature, but it was intense.

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
When I climbed the walls in Dubrovnik (King's Landing) it was about 40-45c and yet it felt pretty good? 27c here in Vancouver and I'm dead.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Considering it's still the first half of June I'll bet that local record from 2016 will be broken by quite a bit before summer's over

No doubt. That's the thing about climate change, it ain't about the record, it's about the entire game and how easier it'll be to break old records going forward. Plus 2016 if I remember was a fairly strong El Nino year, whereas this year our el nino is sounding meager. So there's also that, which should frighten everyone.

Case in point, here's an (outdated) graph of the mean temperature in Kuwait going back to pre industrialization:

kuwait-TAVG-Trend.png

I can basically guarantee you since this was updated in 2013 that the trend is obviously continuing into a very very unfortunate space.

And I don't see that trend reversing any time soon.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I was in Death Valley 2 years ago around late May and it was 52C ish (127F), the literal Valley of Death. Horrid feeling to even go outside with the heat hitting you with force.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
My fat ass starts sweating at about 80 so I guess Kuwait is off of my places to visit. I was at Disney World a few years back and it was 93 sunny and about 85% humidity. It was torture.

That's a bit toasty, for sure - stay safe and cool out there!

I will also point out that it got to 116-118 in SoCal last year. It was not pleasant.

Anything under 105 in dry heat really isn't too bad. Above that, things get ugly, at least for me.
The body can adjust to the dry heat fairly well, in my experience.

Extreme cold, aka where I grew up, isn't any better, by the way - especially when combined with dark mornings and early nights.
-20 to -30 is where things start to get unbearable.

Throw in windchill to bring that to -40 and imagine having to wake up in the darkness at 5am to shovel snow and/or make sure your car still starts in that temperature. I don't miss it.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have literally paid money to go on holiday to be in 28c heat where I am right now. Fuck over 50c. That's hell

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
No one tried to measure that under the sun? I imagine it could go up all the way to 65°, if not more.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yup earth is dying. Also australia were hottest it been in over 120 years.... I live in a city with literally no air conditioning in the apartment and it was 45c..... I would be literally laying on the ground the whole day like a melted chocolate.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Meanwhile I'm enjoying very pleasant temperatures in London for once. My eyeballs are normally boiling out of my skull from June to Sept inclusive. The climate is weird and unpredictable.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once its above 40°C, I start to complain and have the AC on blast lol. 52°C is literally hell. You don't want to go outside and everywhere feels like a sauna.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
https://news.kuwaittimes.net/website/kuwait-records-worlds-highest-temperature/

summer.jpg

Oh it gets better

This was Saturday, and sure enough, the temperature reached 51°C today, proof from my friend's car

iDrYSit.jpg

I'm tired of assholes saying, "Kuwaiti are lazy and they never leave their house" I have a headache from walking for 10 minutes in the sun today, It's just not realistic to be out during this time of the year.

That's absolutely bonkers.

As to the Kuwaiti/Arabs being lazy I've literally never heard that as an American. Sure many other terrible things, but never that.

You're making our 5-6 month cold ass winter's seem pretty pleasant. Hell dealing with cold is so much easier than dealing with heat.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least it's not humid like nyc

And OP, I have literally never heard anyone from that region being called lazy

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A couple of years ago the Planck institute ran the numbers for climate change. Northern Africa and the middle East are going to become too hot for human habitation by the 2050s early 2060s the world should already be planning for that mass migration.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The highest (100% confirmed) air temperature recorded in history is 54.0 °C isn't it?

However, I don't know if that was in the shade.