• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can't believe weirdos that prefer summer over winter. You can only get so naked, especially publicly.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
i mean.. its going to continue to get warmer.

What are the plans for climate change refugees? Because this will be uninhabitable in the next 5 years or less.

At that point I would start considering to leave the country because that temperature is pretty close to uninhabitable.

Thats the wrong choice. You can always put on more layers of clothes against the cold but with the opposite you hit a limit soon.

Again, not when you combine each temperature with the respective amount of light received during each season.

Having lived in both extremes, both are unpleasant, but darkness and extreme cold for three months every year takes a toll.
When it's hot, it's at least nice and sunny. Although anything over 120 sounds terrifying.

For some reason, (edit) DRY heat is more physically tolerable, as long as you're not facing direct exposure for hours on end, without water.
Humidity is awful, no matter how hot it is.

With extreme cold, you're just frozen, in pain, and shivering.
Again, extreme cold being -10f and below.

105 f where I'm at today, by the way.

Last edited:
I don't know what's nice about it. Hot weather is just exhausting. I'm physically unable to do anything. I dread the summer every year.

If you work outside for a living, I think there is a good argument to be made for colder weather being more comfortable, so long as you're moving around.

If you live in a place where air conditioning is easy to come by, heat is easier and cheaper to escape. Again, to a certain degree.

I tend to get more lethargic in extreme cold, because of both the temp and darkness.
In extreme heat, I still don't want to move around as much, but there's plenty of light to keep up my mood.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Okay.. It took me a minute to appreciate that what they had was the highest recorded temperature in the world - this week.

There are places far warmer across Africa and the Middle East, if one chooses to ignore Death Valley in the US.

For a clearer view on the hottest places on the planet - LINK

Oct 25, 2017
Okay.. It took me a minute to appreciate that what they had was the highest recorded temperature in the world - this week.

There are places far warmer across Africa and the Middle East, if one chooses to ignore Death Valley in the US.

For a clearer view on the hottest places on the planet - LINK

Ehh, Kuwait is hotter than a lot of these places especially passed #4. I'm not sure why it wasn't included. The average summer temps in Kuwait are 43-48C with it hitting 50 every now and then, and 54C in 2016 is the highest temperature recorded there.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ehh, Kuwait is hotter than a lot of these places especially passed #4. I'm not sure why it wasn't included. The average summer temps in Kuwait are 43-48C with it hitting 50 every now and then, and 54C in 2016 is the highest temperature recorded there.

The actual average summer daily high in Kuwait is 41C.
The same average in Death Valley is 45.2C.
Death Valley also has the records for highest recorded ground temperature and highest average temperature over the course of a day.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark

I don't disagree.. I was there in 2016 when I saw a reported temperature of 53 degrees first hand. The catch was that this was the 'reported' temperature.. On every car dashboard (might have been about 6 through the day) I rode in, the outside temperature was recorded at 57!

I was told that the meteorological department deliberately downplays forecasts because of a law that mandated shorter labour hours any time the temperature was recorded at 55 or above. No idea if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Is not that far compared to my city tbh.

Last saturday it was almost 40 in the shade and this is not even the hottest summer or the hottest month...

PunishedOkabe

From a certain point of view, this isn't a copy
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cases like this i think Farenheit is a better measurement. 50 doesn't seem that bad, 122 of anything is crazy

giphy.gif

Uhhh what?

Oct 25, 2017
The actual average summer daily high in Kuwait is 41C.
The same average in Death Valley is 45.2C.
Death Valley also has the records for highest recorded ground temperature and highest average temperature over the course of a day.

Where did you get 41c? Over here it says 47c, which jives with what it was like when I lived there. 41c is spring weather (which was my favourite season :P). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuwait_City#Climate

I don't disagree.. I was there in 2016 when I saw a reported temperature of 53 degrees first hand. The catch was that this was the 'reported' temperature.. On every car dashboard (might have been about 6 through the day) I rode in, the outside temperature was recorded at 57!

I was told that the meteorological department deliberately downplays forecasts because of a law that mandated shorter labour hours any time the temperature was recorded at 55 or above. No idea if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Chances are the temperature measured by the cars was the temperature in the sun. Temperatures are recorded in the shade because that's a more accurate measurement of the air temperature. Once you add sunlight you are also adding in heat caused by the sun's rays into the measurement as well as the air temperature.

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot even imagine what that feels like. So sorry for anyone experiencing that right now.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
In April I was in Puerto Rico for the first time, and even though the weather was perfect, I couldn't believe how high in the sky the sun was and how intense its rays felt. Totally a different experience for a northerner.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
How lethal is 51? I've never experience anything remotely that high.

i mean.. its going to continue to get warmer.

What are the plans for climate change refugees? Because this will be uninhabitable in the next 5 years or less.

The same as other refugees. Create a problem, ignore the problem, then complain when the refugees show up. That depressingly is the current plan.