• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
If it weren't for the touchpad, this would be easily be the best game subscription service on PC.

I beat Bloodborne 3 times thanks to Ps Now. Now if it only included the DLC and more first party titles
The DLC thing is a real pain in the ass. How is it not possible to get/use DLC while streaming? I mean, I understand why it's tough, but they should figure it out.

Stuff like Asura's Wrath won't ever be complete on PS Now, and good luck continuing your Persona 5 save if you ever played with DLC previously.

And I've said it before, but I still really doubt the PS5 is going to allow PS3 downloads. I'd love it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thread backfire? I see the intention was to attack the article but yeah we have people in this very thread not knowing it offered downloads for certain titles because of the bad rep it's launch got

Actually, I was careful to point out the obvious errors first to avoid other people from repeatedly doing so. There are valid points for discussion in the article. If I had not done that, the thread would have gone downhill fast with repeat responses calling attention to the same errors. That's gratitude I suppose. lol

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If ps5 offers the ps3 games as downloads I see this service getting a huge boost in subscribers. Theres a shitload of games.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's mostly a download service now, and that happened quickly according to Sony.

Should really spin that off.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he's not wrong that Sony may want to consider rebranding (or splinter-branding) the service.

Yeah, PSNOW does have a sort of stink on it.

They really need to rebrand it for PS5. Hopefully they can get PS1 and PS2 games in there natively. PS3 games natively too would be nice as well.

Cloud should be an option for EVERYTHING, and EVERYTHING should be downloadable.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
It would need some tweaks on PC. You can only stream on PC, which I understand because they can't provide or make a dedicated emulator, and when you exit az game it sometimes crashes/give a whitescreen to the app.It would also benefit a small search bar.

Globule

Banned
May 9, 2018
Wot... I had no idea... I mean, if it's possible to download the games I might be interested. That changes a lot of things...

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Well that puts a damper on the service's value. If Sony's going to add any first-party games they should be permanent.
Agreed, especially considering how old some of these games are. I can obviously understand GTA V not being there permanently considering it's a 3rd party and still sells an insane amount every year but Sony's games should definitely stay permanently once added.
Wait, PSNow lets you download PS2 games to play on PS4???
Correct, but unfortunately the amount of PS2 games available is quite small.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Well that puts a damper on the service's value. If Sony's going to add any first-party games they should be permanent.
It's one of the biggest issues with PSNow (along with no large scale native ps1/2/3 support).

God of War (the newest fp title on the service) is well over a year old at this point. It's like Sony wants to catch people in January before they've finished the game and get them to buy it.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Wat? You can download games now? And they have ps4 and ps2 games too?

Huh..

NoUse4AName

Banned
Feb 5, 2019
You've been able to download PS2 and PS4 games on PS4 for over a year now. The service is still 100% streaming-only on PC though, just like all PS3 games on PS4.

for some reason looks like in every post about Playstation Now and Streaming Games looks like nobody in a gaming enthusiast forum has heard anything about PS now.

For over a year this all PlayStation ads came with this " Instant access to the PS Now library, with hundreds of incredible games ready to stream or download* on demand. "

Oct 31, 2017
I only learned that they did downloads like a week ago. Going into next gen, they should probably drop the Now branding if they want to really compete in the subscription space. There's just too much baggage with that name.

This is true. Sony gets to these things first, don't move fast enough and has shitty branding and then they end up having to drop the service. See crackle, which was streaming before netflix, and vue which was doing live tv before hulu, youtube.

I also just found out that Now offers download because of this thread.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
There's a number of older Sony 1st party PS4 titles that should just be on PSNow permanently-
-Ratchet & Clank (2016)
-Uncharted 1-3 (PS4 versions)
-The Last of Us (PS4)
-The Last of Us: Left Behind (PS4)
-Shadow of the Colossus (PS4 remake)
-Knack 2
-Everybody's Golf
-The Order 1886
-Infamous: First Light
-The Last Guardian

Plus Horizon: Zero Dawn as it's been so cheap recently.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass's value proposition makes it look like a joke, too. So there's that.

Unless I've lost track and PSNow offers all PS4 first party titles day and date, and in perpetuity.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think every ps4 game is downloadable at least it wasn't about a month ago when I last used the service. All ps2 ones were but not ps4 games.
It was in September 2018 when they first started to offer downloads, and about 80% of PS4 games were downloadable there and then. And I believe that shifted to 100% before the end of the year. Unless there is some weird outlier all PS4 games added to the service have been downloadable for close to a year

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
wait, PSNow isnt just a streaming service anymore lol? What PS2 games are available?? All the ones that were on PS3?

Damn, just checked the list. None of the PS2 games I want are on there atm. I would sub in a heartbeat if they added SMT III and the Raidou games. Been debating if I should hook up my PS3 again just to play them or not.

TangFei

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Sony has offered a download option for years now so it's kinda sad people in this thread didn't know that. Anyway, I don't really care if Sony wants to rebrand as long as they keep and improve on the streaming capabilities. I don't like the process of waiting for a game to download and managing my storage.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i fully expect it to be front and center for the launch of PS5, in the meantime idk why they would spend marketing money on it right now when PS5 is still a year out

Pretty much.

I'd worry about it if things haven't changed by year two or so of the PS5, but it just doesn't need to be a priority right now.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has their big toe dipped in the waters of subscription services and the only reason they have their big toe dipped is because of Game Pass. I don't think they'd have dropped the price or added god of war if it weren't for GP.
Gamepass invented subscription services.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
In my opinion Now suffers from a more than just it's branding:
  • Poor communication. New games coming to the service aren't even announced until the day they're announced (it's not even that uncommon for the games to go live before Sony announces them) and there's nothing like a PlayStation Now people can follow to get a quick overview of the latest news on the service. The fact that plenty people still don't know you can download PS2 and PS4 games on PS4 just shows you how bad communication has been in general.
  • Limited availability. Because the service is only available in countries in which streaming is available a lot of people simply can only have access to the service by making a PSN account with a location in which the service is available. People in all of the Americas except for the US and Canada, Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia (minus Japan) and Australia & New Zealand simply don't have access to the service unless they do this
  • Lack of first party games (no this is not me saying they should be there day 1) and more recent big 3rd party hitters. Just imagine how much better the service would be if the inFAMOUS games, The Last of Us Remastered, The Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, The Order 1886, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, WipEout Omega Collection, Detroit Become Human, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus were there permanently. Those are all over a year and a half old by the way.
  • Different catalogue of games between regions which can make what's available to you confusing and can lead to disappointment when people see a game come to the service in a certain region but not theirs