• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I love OP's outrage followed by the confirmation that the average person is still confused by PSNow's current offerings

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Still can't understand why DL is limited to select PS4 titles. Previous gen ok, I can understand. But PS4?

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
Sony fucked up the marketing hard cause I had no idea it was more than a streaming service.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
They really should relaunch with rebranding of PlayStation Pass. You even got the alliteration right there!

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people in THIS thread alone who are just now finding out PSNow is not just streaming is proof they need to rebrand it. Wouldn't be terribly hard to do with a new console cycle coming up and all.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
He brings up a good point about people being unaware of the download option. A rebranding could help, but I'm personally not a fan of these services or the implications they may have on the industry in the future.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS Now could probably use a total rebrand.

I'll happily purchase a PS Now subscription when I can rest assured that the streaming element isn't mediocre. That's the thing that's always held me back. PS Now and PS Remote Play had me convinced for so long that streaming just wasn't a good way to play most games. It was only after using PC-based alternatives like GeForce Now and Steam in-home streaming that I learned that streaming could be a genuinely good experience for most games. I need to feel assured that PS streaming has risen to at least that level before I can really enjoy it.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I guess Microsoft is right to separate its streaming service xCloud from its download subscription Game Pass considering how many commenters in an enthusiast forum didn't know that PS Now does downloads.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It does seem at times that PSnow gets forgotten by Sony/PlayStation, especially when every other tweet out of MS is about Gamepass.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
PSNow has been total shit since day 1. I don't see why titles $19.99 and under are the big pull. Everyone who wants those games has them already without dealing with the horror that is PSNow.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
I am on this forum everyday and own a PS4. I have no idea what PlayStation Now is, in my mind it was either for tv or Ps1 games

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Did not know they offered downloads.

I'm sure they will market it when they feel they need to. They are not oblivious to gaming. Sony has been around for a while.

I'll check out the free trial now that I know that

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. When Gamepass is killing it. There's no reason why shit like Death Stranding isn't available. Charge more if you need to, PSNow ain't worth it.
Death Stranding doesn't have direct multiplayer, no in-game store to nickel n dime people with overpriced skins, doesn't have battle pass etc, and no goals for "long term user engagement" or "player retention". Pretty big reasons to not give it away for $1 or even $15.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Until they offer 1st party titles day one it won't be worth it. That is the standard they need to meet.

Why pay a monthly fee for greatest hits value titles?

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Death Stranding doesn't have direct multiplayer, no in-game store to nickel n dime people with overpriced skins, doesn't have battle pass etc, and no goals for "long term user engagement" or "player retention". Pretty big reasons to not give it away for $1.
That would maybe be a fair argument if they were giving them away for "free" (ala PS Plus) but a month or so to play a game that will be sub $20 in 6 months is ridiculous.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
He is very, seriously concerned. So concerned about Playstation Now. He just wants what is best for Playstation owners.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding doesn't have direct multiplayer, no in-game store to nickel n dime people with overpriced skins, doesn't have battle pass etc, and no goals for "long term user engagement" or "player retention". Pretty big reasons to not give it away for $1 or even $15.
Exactly, I mean it's not like the outer worlds just came out on game pass or anything, a game loaded with in game purchases /s

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. When Gamepass is killing it. There's no reason why shit like Death Stranding isn't available. Charge more if you need to, PSNow ain't worth it.
When Sony's game be selling 3 million it's first month, is at least 3 million reason why it's not.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason you won't be seeing many Sony first party games on any streaming service.

When Spider-man sells 13 million copies. That's straight money to the bank.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of first party games (no this is not me saying they should be there day 1) and more recent big 3rd party hitters. Just imagine how much better the service would be if the inFAMOUS games, The Last of Us Remastered, The Uncharted Nathan Drake Collection, The Order 1886, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, WipEout Omega Collection, Detroit Become Human, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus were there permanently. Those are all over a year and a half old by the way.

This is the main thing I'd want. I can't imagine Sony got more than $100 out of, say, Uncharted 1 this calendar year. Just put it on the service permanently. Anyone actually going out and buying games like that are certainly doing it used, so Sony's not seeing a cent. Use that huge catalog to really pad the service out.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I've never thought about this but if you can download PS2 games on PS4 through PS Now, doesn't that mean the PS4 is backward compatible with PS2 games? Or does it work differently than, say, downloading Xbox or Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One?

And can you download PS2 games outside of PS Now?

Yes and no. Sony created a PS2 emulator for the PS4, but it doesn't allow you to just pop in a PS2 game or download it if you bought it. You have to rebuy the PS4 specific version.

If Sony really wants to lead they should just merge Plus and Now. One subscription that can support PS4/PS5 downloads and streaming, pays for online, cloud, discounts, services, etc. Even if more expensive the simplification will make more sense to consumers and draw a clear distinction versus Microsoft's messy 3 plan approach (Live Gold, Game Pass, XCloud).

Like Microsoft did with Game Pass Ultimate?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not going to happen while Sony's major AAA exclusives keep selling gangbusters. I don't get the impression that Sony is trying to be the "Netflix of gaming", maybe something more akin to HBO.
And if it doesn't happen, then I don't have much incentive to sign up for it, and I'm not alone.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony make a very expensive looking PS Now commercial advertising God of War and Uncharted 4?

Why put yourself in a position where that commercial is going to be false advertising in less than 3 months?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Sony make a very expensive looking PS Now commercial advertising God of War and Uncharted 4?

Why put yourself in a position where that commercial is going to be false advertising in less than 3 months?
Who knows. First party games should never leave a streaming service after being put on.

Like, Netflix would never remove Stranger Things, and HBO would never remove Game of Thrones.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they should have put spiderman day one to match crackdown 3. Even steven. Absolute parity.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they should have put spiderman day one to match crackdown 3. Even steven. Absolute parity.
Why compare those two. Gears 5, Outer Worlds, hell Psychonauts 2 (which looks amazing) are all day one on Gamepass.

Some of these posts are going to be so stupid looking back in a few years when Sony moves more of their first party titles on PSNow

Oct 25, 2017
Why compare those two. Gears 5, Outer Worlds, hell Psychonauts 2 (which looks amazing) are all day one on Gamepass.

Some of these posts are going to be so stupid looking back in a few years when Sony moves more of their first party titles on PSNow

That will only happen if they can do it without losing money or lose significant market share. Could be a lot longer than a few years. As long as people are willing to buy their games in enormous quantities they are not completely switching their business model. Not should they.

*edit I missed that you simply said put more of their games on there although you implied more. That will for sure happen and no one is disputing it. Day one releases not so much and I said why.

Last edited: