• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why compare those two. Gears 5, Outer Worlds, hell Psychonauts 2 (which looks amazing) are all day one on Gamepass.

Some of these posts are going to be so stupid looking back in a few years when Sony moves more of their first party titles on PSNow
The ones beggin Sony to put them out day 1 are gonna be waiting 84 years

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The ones beggin Sony to put them out day 1 are gonna be waiting 84 years
Nah, I think it could take a while, but before the next generation ends Sony will put almost all of their first party titles on PSNow either day 1, or shortly after launch.

That's just the way things are going. I mean, shit, would anyone have believed that Sony would allow games like God of War to be playable on PC in any capacity back in 2013?

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Did that article say they've been offering downloads for a year? Feels like I just found out a couple of weeks ago.

And sorry, I was aware of Game Pass first, though my sub finishes Dec 2020 so maybe I'll look into switching then.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I think it could take a while, but before the next generation ends Sony will put almost all of their first party titles on PSNow either day 1, or shortly after launch.

That's just the way things are going. I mean, shit, would anyone have believed that Sony would allow games like God of War to be playable on PC in any capacity back in 2013?

And what will be the impetus to lose money by putting their games on there day one by the end of next generation? Because there is no way to avoid losing a lot of money up front. That's a lot different than putting old games on PS Now to be streamed(or downloaded). To combat that they will start making cheaper games? You cannot compare it to Game Pass because that's basically play money for them to invest and not really sweat over it. There is a reason no one else is doing it yet. Even Google is charging full price for games, but you think Sony will eat it? Is Nintendo next? Every major publisher does their own monthly service because why not if it is gonna be such a great business plan? I don't see it being sustainable to actually make a profit.

Last edited:

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Death Stranding doesn't have direct multiplayer, no in-game store to nickel n dime people with overpriced skins, doesn't have battle pass etc, and no goals for "long term user engagement" or "player retention". Pretty big reasons to not give it away for $1 or even $15.
Outer Worlds was on Game Pass day one.

Say what you will how viable the strategy is, but if the argument is ultimately "why would Sony do that?", well, cause Microsoft is.

Sony might be on top now, but as the Coke guys said when asked why they keep bothering advertising and innovating when they're number one with fizzy drinks, they responded explaining that you can send a plane in the air but they gotta keep it up there. Just because you're number one doesn't mean you let up on the competition.

#hooraycompetition

flobber

Nov 1, 2019
I was not aware you could download games either and I feel I'm usually quite in the loop on these things.

It probably doesn't help that their recent Ads (or this one at least) don't make it clear at all, this has been playing loads on Twitch recently

In fact 'games on demand' screams streaming service only to me.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Outer Worlds was on Game Pass day one.

Say what you will how viable the strategy is, but if the argument is ultimately "why would Sony do that?", well, cause Microsoft is.

Sony might be on top now, but as the Coke guys said when asked why they keep bothering advertising and innovating when they're number one with fizzy drinks, they responded explaining that you can send a plane in the air but they gotta keep it up there. Just because you're number one doesn't mean you let up on the competition.

#hooraycompetition
Outer Worlds isn't a MS funded game. Take-Two almost definitely got a big check to put it on Game Pass though.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Outer Worlds isn't a MS funded game. Take-Two almost definitely got a big check to put it on Game Pass though.
That's a good point, I keep forgetting. Still, you've got quite a few meaty first party games on there still. Sure, some may have microtransactions but at first glance, you show consumers which games are available and the first party stuff stands out (if one happens to care about Halo, Forza, etc)

Feels like a reverse of online last-gen. XBL Gold with the head start, Sony ups it by having a service with games, then now it's kinda the opposite?

Ah who knows, too early!

I still think it's funny so many of us here were unaware til recently about the downloadable games on Now though. That shit needs fixing.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
They only just now started to advertise the service properly on the dashboard. Turned my console on yesterday to download Death Stranding and a fancy PS Now tile with several games visible was there, telling me it's just 9,99 to play loads of games.

Before that they had the guitar chip icon tile that said nothing about the service.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And what will be the impetus to lose money by putting their games on there day one by the end of next generation? Because there is no way to avoid losing a lot of money up front. That's a lot different than putting old games on PS Now to be streamed(or downloaded). To combat that they will start making cheaper games? You cannot compare it to Game Pass because that's basically play money for them to invest and not really sweat over it. There is a reason no one else is doing it yet. Even Google is charging full price for games, but you think Sony will eat it? Is Nintendo next? Every major publisher does their own monthly service because why not if it is gonna be such a great business plan? I don't see it being sustainable to actually make a profit.
They can do this by selling them for 60$ on PSnow they don't have to be free with the sub

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I refuse to believe the number of people in this thread who say they didn't know PS Now offered downloads. It has been the case for fucking months. It's been in every single thread and advertisement since.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe the number of people in this thread who say they didn't know PS Now offered downloads. It has been the case for fucking months. It's been in every single thread and advertisement since.
Why would someone go into a thread or pay attention to ads for PlayStation Now if they already knew they didn't want a streaming service?

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PS Now will likely get a major rebranding/relaunch in parallel with the marketing ramp up of the PS5.

It will be heavily marketed with the new console.

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I'm somewhat interested in PSNow as a non PlayStation owner so for me it is in fact streaming only. Not sure you need to rebrand to non-PS owners but clearly given some posts in the thread they need increased marketing to PS4 owners.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably going to get a massive campaign when the ps5 launches so no reason to do it right now.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Yeah they are doing a really bad job with the marketing on this one

People are still like "I wish Playstation had something similar to Game Pass"

They should just kill it off and release it under a new name

NavNucST3

Nov 13, 2017
I'm somewhat interested in PSNow as a non PlayStation owner so for me it is in fact streaming only. Not sure you need to rebrand to non-PS owners but clearly given some posts in the thread they need increased marketing to PS4 owners.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PlayStation Now is legit great. Got a free trial and was amazed by some of the games on there and how many could be downloaded. In less than an hour I'd downloaded Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, God of War, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Shadow of Mordor etc.

Its perfect for my wife on maternity leave as there are a wide range of 'choice' games she likes such as Telltale's Batman etc.

Feb 10, 2018
Psnow will only be worth it me at its current price if 1st party come on it at launch.
Right now I would get it for £4 a month.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know about the download thing. What I want to know is how many people realizes that is not available everywhere. If you are in LATAM, you are fucked.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
wait and see where it goes on the ps5 side of things. they probably don't consider themselves full-on competing with gamepass yet

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to do one thing;

Release first party games upon release - MS has set the bar pretty high.

Will Sony dare? I doubt it - they cant afford to loose the short term revenue, unlike MS with their unlimited pockets

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Psnow will only be worth it me at its current price if 1st party come on it at launch.
Right now I would get it for £4 a month.
And folks question the damage Game Pass may do, with its current pricing model.

£4 is the price of a pint of lager that'll last you 10 minutes—yet is considered barely acceptable for hours of content.

The race to the bottom is real, and we've seen this once before on the iOS store when folks stopped wanting to pay 69p for an app.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They need to do one thing;

Release first party games upon release - MS has set the bar pretty high.

Will Sony dare? I doubt it - they cant afford to loose the short term revenue, unlike MS with their unlimited pockets

Sony doesn't need to give away their first-party games at launch.

It wouldn't be daring, it would simply be a dumb business decision.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesn't need to give away their first-party games at launch.

It wouldn't be daring, it would simply be a dumb business decision.

If they want their sub service to be a main income source - the ABSOLUTELY need to

of course they can bet on that game buying will still be the main way to get games for people in the future

.... but looking at movies as a precedence - subscriptions does really seem like the future

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
PlayStation Pass woud be a worthy name and everyone would understand it. IF PS5 can be BC with all prior PlayStations then they can all become downloadable, and the streaming nature can take a back seat so the Now term is less relevant.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs a rebranding or a big marketing push highlighting Downloading PS4 games.

Also I think having a bunch of games on there for super limited times like 3 months is a real knock against the service.

Thats not a long time at all. And especially highlighted by having Persona 5 as one of the first games with such a limit. Thats a 100 hour RPG. Thats a hour + a day for every single day its available.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The download thing is true, even on here a lot of people talk about PS Now like it's just a streaming service. They definitely can do a better job with messaging so people understand really only the ps3 games can't be downloaded.

I'd rebrand and even call it something like PlayStation Pass.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it had downloads now but I also knew that a large chunk of the library isn't playable natively on the PS4 so I won't bother until it is.

Oct 25, 2017
If they want their sub service to be a main income source - the ABSOLUTELY need to

of course they can bet on that game buying will still be the main way to get games for people in the future

.... but looking at movies as a precedence - subscriptions does really seem like the future

Netflix is still losing money and Game Pass probably will for a long time too. Spotify turned a meager profit for the first h me EVER just this year. These services are really not a money making venture yet. It's a money pit of subsidizing content with the hope of a pot of gold at the end.

Can you donwload games with the PC version?

No. Only PlayStation consoles.

Feb 10, 2018
And folks question the damage Game Pass may do, with its current pricing model.

£4 is the price of a pint of lager that'll last you 10 minutes—yet is considered barely acceptable for hours of content.

The race to the bottom is real, and we've seen this once before on the iOS store when folks stopped wanting to pay 69p for an app.

I don't think gamepass like models will damage the industry, I think they will help it and the data is showing this. ( the data showing gamers playing games they would not normally play, the data showing more income from game pass for 3rd parties).
However gamepass like service needs to be at least 10million subs for this to really be positive.