• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 11, 2017
Netflix is still losing money and Game Pass probably will for a long time too. Spotify turned a meager profit for the first EVER just this year. These services are really not a money making venture. It's a money pit with the hope of a pot of gold at the end.
These services lose money intially in the content fight to build content reserves. Netflix could easily cut down on building content ( which is stupid) for short term large profitsm

Oct 25, 2017
These services lose money intially in the content fight to build content reserves. Netflix could easily cut down on building content ( which is stupid) for short term large profitsm

Yes it is an investment. An extremely long one and who knows when it will pay off? And Netflix is about to get some serious competition from Disney so they will have to invest even more money because they are gonna lose some extremely valuable content.

Feb 10, 2018
Yes it is an investment. An extremely long one and who knows when it will pay off. And Netflix is about to get some serious competition from Disney so they will have to invest even more money because they are gonna lose some extremely valuable content.

I think for a game pass like service it will pay of when they have about 10 million subs, and a revenue of $100 million a month, of it course it will be better when they at 20 million subs.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've got no doubt that Sony will rebrand PS Now at some point. It's just been a bit of a mess from a disappointing, expensive launch to a place where it's actually pretty good now but has confused the market with what it is and what you get. This thread itself is proof of that.

I'm on a year sub at the moment so I'm locked in but I still maintain they can do better. There's a lot of things they don't need to do but that would certainly make Now a better product for us gamers.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't need rebranding, it just needs to be pushed. Sony's never really *tried* with it, treating it like Vue, Vita, PS TV, etc. It's been a side project to date and that's fine. It can be elevated by pushing it and talking about it. If they put a prompt on console setup the way they do with PS Plus that will go a huge way and cost them almost nothing; if they make it an icon instead of part of PS Store sidebar bloat that will also do a lot; and that's before you start planning like an ad campaign or something. It's not toxic, it's just not known about by a critical mass of people that own PS products and that's a fine place to start a real push from.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
They should fix the input lag on PC and BSOD issue on PC so i can actually play P5 for more than 20 minutes. It needs work to be done still.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Not discrediting the core discussion that Sony needs a rebranding/soft relaunch of sorts with the service, but has Orland ever written anything not-negative and critical of Sony? lmao this guy has been on a bender since the launch of PS4. It's kind of embarassing how obvious it is when you really look at the overall arc of articles he's written during this generation.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't need rebranding, it just needs to be pushed. Sony's never really *tried* with it, treating it like Vue, Vita, PS TV, etc. It's been a side project to date and that's fine. It can be elevated by pushing it and talking about it. If they put a prompt on console setup the way they do with PS Plus that will go a huge way and cost them almost nothing; if they make it an icon instead of part of PS Store sidebar bloat that will also do a lot; and that's before you start planning like an ad campaign or something. It's not toxic, it's just not known about by a critical mass of people that own PS products and that's a fine place to start a real push from.

They already began the marketing push last month with TV ads, ads at sporting events, ads in movie theaters, internet ads and probably more. This is just the start and I feel it won't be long until we're past the point where people don't realize that you can download games on the service.

There's no need to rebrand something they just began a massive marketing campaign on, they just need to keep going with the marketing and make sure it's nice and clear what the service can do.

Now has a lot of big changes coming up in the next year or so including the move to Azure, addition of PS5 hardware to the servers, expansion to more countries, expansion to more devices and probably further enhancements to its business model. The service should be very different by the time next gen launches, I think.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
They already began the marketing push last month with TV ads, ads at sporting events, ads in movie theaters, internet ads and probably more. This is just the start and I feel it won't be long until we're past the point where people don't realize that you can download games on the service.

There's no need to rebrand something they just began a massive marketing campaign on, they just need to keep going with the marketing and make sure it's nice and clear what the service can do.

Now has a lot of big changes coming up in the next year or so including the move to Azure, addition of PS5 hardware to the servers, expansion to more countries, expansion to more devices and probably further enhancements to its business model. The service should be very different by the time next gen launches, I think.

^
This, their marketing push with the price drop literally added 300k "paid" subs.

Also I would not mind if the name changed to PS PASS, PlayStation Pass.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
300k is not a lot, these services should have millions at least not 1 million

Their target its 5 million down the road.
Something that probably GP hasn't achieved yet and they plan to achieve in a health way - at least so far - not throwing away keys and years and years of subscription for a penny.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
300k is not a lot, these services should have millions at least not 1 million

Off the back of a single months worth of marketing it's not bad. It's not like it's going to stay at just over 1 million, it will keep growing and we will likely get another update in the next quarterly report. With the marketing push continuing and the holidays coming up I could pretty easily see it hitting 2 million before the end of the year.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Their target its 5 million down the road.
Something that probably GP hasn't achieved yet and they plan to achieve in a health way - at least so far - not throwing away keys and years and years of subscription for a penny.

Microsoft has not revealed exact subscriber numbers for Game Pass, but we have learned that there are currently some 9.5 million monthly users.

Crazy if true

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
"Microsoft has not revealed exact subscriber numbers for Game Pass, but we have learned that there are currently some 9.5 million monthly users."

What's even the source for this.

Rigalo

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I tried the PSNow week free trial and then let it run a month after that and I thought it was a cool little service. Loved that I could download PS4 and ps2 games, hated that I couldn't download PS3 games. I cancelled because my backlog is way too big for me to also pay for this monthly but I could see myself resubscribing in the future definitely.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Netflix is still losing money and Game Pass probably will for a long time too. Spotify turned a meager profit for the first h me EVER just this year. These services are really not a money making venture yet. It's a money pit of subsidizing content with the hope of a pot of gold at the end.

No. Only PlayStation consoles.
Thank you!

BTW a few questions since i'm thining of susbcribing for a month to try it out. I can't find the answer on official faqs
  1. if i buy PS now can i use it on PC and PS4 with the same account?
  2. would the save games be available in both platforms?
  3. Can i use the xbone/360 controller on the PC version?
  4. In the PS4 can i choose between streaming vs download?
  5. If I unsusbcribe for a few months and then return will i lose all my saves?
  6. Do i need PS+ to play online even in the PC version?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I didn't know that games were downloadable until I tried a 7 day trial earlier this year. My reason for not keeping it was just that there weren't enough PS4 games on offer that I cared about, and all the ps3 games are streaming only, which had annoying latency issues when I tried them.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you!

BTW a few questions since i'm thining of susbcribing for a month to try it out. I can't find the answer on official faqs
  1. if i buy PS now can i use it on PC and PS4 with the same account?
  2. would the save games be available in both platforms?
  3. Can i use the xbone/360 controller on the PC version?
  4. In the PS4 can i choose between streaming vs download?
  5. If I unsusbcribe for a few months and then return will i lose all my saves?
  6. Do i need PS+ to play online even in the PC version?

• if i buy PS now can i use it on PC and PS4 with the same account?
Yes.
  • would the save games be available in both platforms?
Yes... with an exception. You can't access any kind of DLC store or anything on the Windows app. That's fine, except when a game requires you to have DLC installed on both platforms to load a save. I tried to load up my Persona 5 save on PC when it came to Now the other day and it just won't load my save because it's 'missing required DLC'. It's because I downloaded some dumb free costume DLC like a year ago on my PS4. No way around it, I just can't play it on PC anymore. It won't let me load the save unless the DLC is installed which is impossible on PC. Yes, this is as stupid as it sounds.
  • Can i use the xbone/360 controller on the PC version?
Yes. Unless a game requires the gyro or touchpad. But most touchpad actions are just pressing it (which becomes the 'select' button).
  • In the PS4 can i choose between streaming vs download?
Yes. PS4 games (and the handful of PS2 games because technically they're PS4 remasters) can be downloaded or streamed on PS4. Stream only on PC.
  • Do i need PS+ to play online even in the PC version?
You don't need PS+ to play PS Now games online. Even on PS4.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
  • if i buy PS now can i use it on PC and PS4 with the same account?
Yes.
  • would the save games be available in both platforms?
Yes... with an exception. You can't access any kind of DLC store or anything on the Windows app. That's fine, except when a game requires you to have DLC installed on both platforms to load a save. I tried to load up my Persona 5 save on PC when it came to Now the other day and it just won't load my save because it's 'missing required DLC'. It's because I downloaded some dumb free costume DLC like a year ago on my PS4. No way around it, I just can't play it on PC anymore. It won't let me load the save unless the DLC is installed which is impossible on PC. Yes, this is as stupid as it sounds.
  • Can i use the xbone/360 controller on the PC version?
Yes. Unless a game requires the gyro or touchpad. But most touchpad actions are just pressing it (which becomes the 'select' button).
  • In the PS4 can i choose between streaming vs download?
Yes. PS4 games (and the handful of PS2 games because technically they're PS4 remasters) can be downloaded or streamed on PS4. Stream only on PC.
  • Do i need PS+ to play online even in the PC version?
You don't need PS+ to play PS Now games online. Even on PS4.
super useful! thank you for taking the time to help me.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I could see relaunching/rebranding it as a good idea. I think a lot of people don't really understand what it is.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just watched the list.

Most of the games i want are still exclusive ps3 game with no download and my internet is too crabby, a shame :(

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
No, it's really not.

Why does Microsoft constantly offer brand new games on Gamepass then? That's not a good excuse.
Because Microsoft's big hitters don't sell as well as Sony's and they're mostly GaaS game with post-launch monetization where as Sony's are Single Player focused or even Single Player only games with little to no post-launch monetization. Microsoft also needs to give people another reason to buy their console due to the decline in sales compared to the Xbox 360, where as the PS4 sales are insanely high.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
It's no big deal. The service was basically in beta this gen and recently after they ramped up the push subscribers grew. Did they offer any €1 deals? Genuinely don't know but they did add some big titles.

They could rebrand it to PlayStation Pass but Now sounds fine. When the PS5 launches and it has even more big games the subscriber numbers will get big.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
And folks question the damage Game Pass may do, with its current pricing model.

£4 is the price of a pint of lager that'll last you 10 minutes—yet is considered barely acceptable for hours of content.

The race to the bottom is real, and we've seen this once before on the iOS store when folks stopped wanting to pay 69p for an app.

Agreed on all counts.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily scoff at those gamepass numbers. Does it specify xbox gamepass or just gamepass? Remember they have pc too. Not that much of a stretch to get to 10m if they include console AND PC.

Either way, Gamepass is leagues ahead in terms of brand awareness and perceived value.

The issue for Sony is they simply don't have the infrastructure to just pivot and flick the switch to embracing full subscription services. There is a reason why they are going cap in hand to MS to use Azure.

That said, if Sony do get to a position where they have a subscription service with all 1st party day 1, they will rake in subscribers.

The problem for Sony is making it profitable. MS can afford to do it because gaming is effectively using Azure during its "downtime". In each timezone demand for "business" azure is in the day but it'd be kicking its heels in the evening. Gaming takes up a lot of that spare capacity.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
PSNow is clearly a second rate service compared to Game pass, I don't see how that's even debatable. Sony had first mover advantage and did nothing with it.

Sony treats it as second rate, never pushes it, no day-and-date 1st party titles, it's a total afterthought for them.

Game Pass is treated as a premier service by Microsoft, and they're reaping the benefits from that approach now, and will continue to get payoff from the early investment for years to come.

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah, I'm another "wow, really?" and I spend a lot of time gaming. I don't pay much attention to game streaming services and I guess I didn't get the memo.