• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
Japanese news agency NHK reported early morning JST that a stranger attacked animation studio Kyoto Animation, known as Kyoani, with gasoline and set the building on fire.

Firefighters are currently engaged with the fire and are working to get everyone securely.
It is reported that at least 30 people have been injured, with at least 10 heavily. Heavy damage has been sustained to the studio.

Kyoto Animation is known for work such as Violet Evergarden, Nichijou, K-On, The Melanchony of Haruhi Suzuyama and Clannad.

d5dde90cd2.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Right now theyre pretty certain on arson because they have someone apprehended and gasoline being poured.

The studio is in bad shape. Its really sad.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
why an animation studio? this seems really bizarre to me

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Primary NHK article is here, they have a live news chopper in the air and broadcasting. Cliffnotes:
  • 10+ injured
  • Male suspect arrested
  • "Sound of an explosion" at around 10:30-11, smell of gasoline

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
What the god damn fuck? Hope they all ultimately make it out okay.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wow thats terrible. can only hope all those injured pull through and hopefully this doesn't severely affect the livelihood of other employees there. was it a crazy fan or maybe an ex employee?

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
KyoAni has put out some of my favorite anime of all time. You wouldn't wish this upon anyone, but why one of the best animation studios out there? Let's hope they all made it out alive.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it smoke inhalation is no joke. Hope everyone is okay. I love kyoani.

I swear if the culprit sent threats and the cops didn't take it seriously again...

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Terrible news. Sick fucks out there man, hope it's "just" the injuries. This was an animation studio? What did they work on?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
More than 30 injured + 10 critically, fuck

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
What were they doing this season? Anything that may have set someone off? This certainly seems like a targeted attack...

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
This is so fucked up. I hope everyone is fine and those who are enjoyed recovers quickly....

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I'm fan of a lot of their work, this is awful. I really hope the company steps up in a big way and supports the staff. And please let there be no casualties from burn injuries or smoke inhalation.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
WTF. Hopefully there aren't more damages and injuries on top of the ones already reported.
And they are one of the few companies that actually treat their employees well too...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Title should be updated to reflect the amount injured, this is madness

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I just watched A Silent Voice and it was fantastic, really hope everyone there is okay and they didn't lose all of their art!

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kyoto Animation is widely known for treating their employees well which is a rarity in the animation biz. Kinda hard to believe this came from a disgruntled employee.
Maybe for much more personal reasons perhaps? Who knows.

But the priority now really is that no else gets hurt and that the injured are treated well.