• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
hi, sorry to be the bearer of bad news again, but one of the injured employees has passed away, making the number of deceased 36.

Kamon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way. I thought they were all in the clear :( Do we have any information about what happened?

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
CEO Hideaki Hatta held a press conference today

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...3-injured-staff-have-returned-to-work/.152377

27 of the 33 victims injured in the fire at the company's Studio 1 building have returned to work.

Hatta stated that the number of people who retired from the company after the incident is very few.

He stated that the company is working first on getting Violet Evergarden into theaters after April 2020. Then while working on that, the company is also looking at the situation for what will come afterward.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Silent Voice charity shikishi shipped out for me today. I hadn't had a chance to donate yet, so it timed out well. Ordered four to give to friends.

New Laws
OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
Per Kyodo News' English edition, Japan will change laws because of the attack, making ID checks compulsory when buying gasoline.

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency will revise an ordinance and oblige gas stations and other sellers to conduct ID checks and ask customers the reason for the purchase, possibly starting next February, the officials said. The agency in July requested all gasoline sellers to check buyers' IDs on a voluntary basis. But as customers declined in some cases, the businesses demanded that the agency make it compulsory.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
thank you message from the memorial event

We held "Kyoto Animation Co.,Ltd. The ceremony of Farewell and Taking over the Will" without mishap on November 3rd-4th.
We appreciate that all attendants cooperated making calm space.

Your tears that you grieved for our friends and colleagues were with us, and healed our feeling of loss.

The kind messages and support from all over the world have reached us,
and have been a big help for us to move forward once again.

Our grief that we lost many of our friends and colleagues with bright future will not go away,
but the love and passion for our works, and sure breath that existed there, are firmly engraved in us and shall continue to live.

We will continue to create animation for all over the world that help people have dreams, hopes, and impress them.

Please continue to watch over us.

November 5th, 2019
Kyoto Animation Co.,Ltd.

also, this was always gonna happen sooner or later, but the anibaka staff blog has shut down

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/1...mmunicating-with-fans-the-anibaka-staff-blog/

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Kyoto Animation arsonist develops a soft spot for nurse treating him at hospital

That's like the weirdest way for the article to frame that story, since the actual relevant information is

People in Japan were quick to express their concern for the nurse who became the object of the killer's affections, but now that she is no longer in his presence the arsonist's physical rehabilitation is said to have taken a turn for the worse. This is said to be a blow to the medical team charged with the task of getting him well enough to stand on his own, which will ultimately lead to his arrest and sentencing.

Doctors now fear the arrest may be years away, which would mean a long and tortuous wait for the victims and their families to receive any sense of justice and closure following the heartless attack.

They actually have to get this guy well enough to be charged and stand trial and that may not happen for a long time, if ever.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Final Kyoto Animation Worldwide Donations Total Over US$30 Million

It's been over 6 months since Kyoto Animation was attacked by an arsonist, killing 36 and injuring 33 employees of the well-loved anime studio. While the fire was still raging, fans poured their hearts out wanting to do their part to support the studio. In the months after the tragedy, over 3.34 billion yen (US$30.4 million) was donated to Kyoto Animation for the victims, Yahoo News reported on January 17, recounting the final total.

More at the source.

Good to see they raised a good amount of money, and that some is already in the hands of victims and their families. Crazy that this happened 6 months ago. It feels like 2 weeks.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

in case people missed it, the violet evergarden side story film (the one completed just before the fire) is coming to US theaters. kyoani owns this title entirely, so any profits from the theater run go directly to the company
Watched this last week. It was a pretty good episodic story but I wasn't blown away. Better than a lot of the series though. It's like one of the better stories in the series except 90 minutes long.

Arrest
OP
OP
Twingsy

Twingsy

Oct 27, 2017
Moon
Police in Japan have arrested the suspect in the deadly arson attack on the Kyoto Animation studio in July of last year. [...] Aoba Shinji was arrested at a hospital where he had been receiving treatment for burns to his entire body. The 42-year-old man is suspected of setting gasoline alight in the Kyoto studio on July 18. [...] Police say Aoba has admitted the allegation is true. [...]

He was caught near the scene after setting fire to the studio. He shouted that his novel had been stolen. Police have since learned that Aoba sent at least two novels as part of a contest to Kyoto Animation. But the company said his works did not pass the screening. Aoba himself was seriously injured. It appears Aoba is unable to walk and was carried on a stretcher from the hospital to the police station. Police say that along with treatment taking more time than expected, the coronavirus also postponed his arrest. [...]

The 42-year-old unemployed man from Minuma, Saitama reportedly admitted to the charges and said, "I thought I'd be able to kill many people if I used gasoline."

Source, Source 2

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need to hear views or opinions from somebody who did something like this.

As far as I'm concerned they lost their right to live in society and should be removed from it.